Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dickerson and the TransAm
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Dickerson and the TransAm
https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/01...-trans-am/

Eric Dickerson tells the story of his Gold Trans Am. It was pretty well known A&M got him the car and then he reneged and went to SMU.

"...To understand the story, you first need to understand the pressure I was under to go to A&M. Sealy’s in East Texas, about 70 miles from College Station, so it was an A&M town. The town’s biggest businessman, Clarence Shear, who owned the livestock feed store, was a big A&M booster who had given me a job the summer before. And the man I called my stepdad—my biological mom’s husband—had a side deal with A&M, where they offered him a house in Westview, the White part of Sealy, and a few head of cattle. (Cattle were big in Texas recruiting in those days; recruiters promised to keep your freezers stocked with meat.)..."

"...It was a verbal commitment. I was 18 and it seemed like the thing to say to make a lot of adults happy. But my heart was never really into it, and I’d soon renege on it. I know a lot of A&M fans are still pissed at me about that, but I really don’t care: if they want to be pissed at a kid whose head was spinning and was being pressured by all different kinds of adults, then that’s their problem and not mine.

There’s this urban legend that angry A&M boosters destroyed the car, but I’m here to tell you that never happened. I had the Trans Am my first few years at SMU, before I sold it to my best friend and fellow SMU running back, Charles Drayton.
Thanks to an SMU booster named George Owen, I was driving a Corvette by then...."
01-18-2022 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
RE: Dickerson and the TransAm
THE TRUTH FINALLY COMES OUT
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2022 06:08 PM by SMUstang.)
01-18-2022 06:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
An all-time great.

Damn sure worth at least a Trans Am and a Corvette in 1979 dollars
01-18-2022 06:48 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
That's an awesome story.

High school recruiting in Texas in the 1970s. Those were the days ... LOL.
01-18-2022 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.