Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The 2/3 zone that was working in yesterdays game
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
MyBB The 2/3 zone that was working in yesterdays game
At one point in the first half the Tigers ran a 2/3 zone that resulted in them building their first big lead of the game. For reasons unknown to me we went away from it and never came back to it.

Last season, when we finally started to get it together, was when we were running a 3/2, or if you want to call it a 1/2/2 zone. We ran it against Houston to much success.

For some reason Penny has an aversion to sticking with zone defenses. I do not understand that. We are a team that thrives in a full court setting. That happens best after rebounds and steals? So if you have a defense that is proving to stop a team, why don’t you stay in it? If we would have stayed in the 2/3 zone yesterday I have no doubt we win the game going away, because east Carolina has no chance of covering us when we are pushing the ball after rebounds and turnovers.

There is a misnomer that you should play zone defenses when you are trying to slow the game down. That may have been true back in the 80s and 90s when there was a 45 second shot clock. When teams like UAB and temple would do it. But now, with a much shorter shot clock,
A good zone defense is very effective at stopping a team and making them rush shots as the shot clock is ticking down. therefore creating bad shots and long rebounds and fast break opportunities. so in other words, a zone defense can actually help to speed up your offense going in the opposite direction.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why you think Penny went away from the 2/3 zone yesterday when it was working. And also when we were so shorthanded. Seems to me that a zone defense is ideal right now while we are so shorthanded on the bench.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 03:34 PM by BIGDTiger.)
01-16-2022 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: The 2/3 zone that was working in yesterdays game
(01-16-2022 03:28 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  At one point in the first half the Tigers ran a 2/3 zone that resulted in them building their first big lead of the game. For reasons unknown to me we went away from it and never came back to it.

Last season, when we finally started to get it together, was when we were running a 3/2, or if you want to call it a 1/2/2 zone. We ran it against Houston to much success.

For some reason Penny has an aversion to sticking with zone defenses. I do not understand that. We are a team that thrives in a full court setting. That happens best after rebounds and steals? So if you have a defense that is proving to stop a team, why don’t you stay in it? If we would have stayed in the 2/3 zone yesterday I have no doubt we win the game going away, because east Carolina has no chance of covering us when we are pushing the ball after rebounds and turnovers.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on why you think Penny went away from the 2/3 zone yesterday when it was working. And also when we were so shorthanded. Seems to me that a zone defense is ideal right now while we are so shorthanded on the bench.

A zone has long been a go-to solution for a short handed team. We can add it to the growing list of head scratchers for Penny along with playing 4 fr at the same time, playing a 5'7" guard on defense with 1 sec left in the game, playing two short guards at the same time, playing a lineup of no ballhanders, allowing MD to dribble at the perimeter, not establishing catch & shoot opportunities for EB rather than him going off the dribble, not going over & over to Duren to initiate the offense with a big lead...........etc, etc.
01-16-2022 03:41 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(01-16-2022 03:41 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(01-16-2022 03:28 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  At one point in the first half the Tigers ran a 2/3 zone that resulted in them building their first big lead of the game. For reasons unknown to me we went away from it and never came back to it.

A zone has long been a go-to solution for a short handed team. We can add it to the growing list of head scratchers for Penny along with playing 4 fr at the same time, playing a 5'7" guard on defense with 1 sec left in the game, playing two short guards at the same time, playing a lineup of no ballhanders, allowing MD to dribble at the perimeter, not establishing catch & shoot opportunities for EB rather than him going off the dribble, not going over & over to Duren to initiate the offense with a big lead...........etc, etc.

I really really want Penny to be a success. I was on board his hiring from the beginning. But it is abundantly clear, Penny absolutely does not learn from mistakes. I remember people talking about Penny not being smart. We know he had to sit out his freshman year because of grade issues. Whether he is smart or not, I dont know, but what I do know is he seems to have a real issue with learning from his mistakes.
01-16-2022 03:51 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina

There is a misnomer that you should play zone defenses when you are trying to slow the game down. That may have been true back in the 80s and 90s when there was a 45 second shot clock. When teams like UAB and temple would do it. But now, with a much shorter shot clock,
A good zone defense is very effective at stopping a team and making them rush shots as the shot clock is ticking down. therefore creating bad shots and long rebounds and fast break opportunities. so in other words, a zone defense can actually help to speed up your offense going in the opposite direction.

I do remember them going zone, but dont remember it being used for more than possession or two, or it being the reason for taking the big lead (but I could very well be wrong). I do remember thinking zone would be good to use when Malcolm is in the game because he isnt quick enough to defend guards on switches. Then, you have the Harris size mismatch issue.
I think zone can definitely help us, not only when we are short-handed as we are now, but also just to mix it up & force the opponent out if what they’ve been doing. But, Penny wants to teach NBA style which is almost all MAN. It’s fine to teach that, but at some point you have to coach to win.
01-16-2022 03:53 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

(01-16-2022 03:53 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  

I do remember them going zone, but dont remember it being used for more than possession or two, or it being the reason for taking the big lead (but I could very well be wrong). I do remember thinking zone would be good to use when Malcolm is in the game because he isnt quick enough to defend guards on switches. Then, you have the Harris size mismatch issue.
I think zone can definitely help us, not only when we are short-handed as we are now, but also just to mix it up & force the opponent out if what they’ve been doing. But, Penny wants to teach NBA style which is almost all MAN. It’s fine to teach that, but at some point you have to coach to win.

Agree 100%. College basketball is a zone dominated game. Refusing to play it puts your players at a disadvantage.
01-16-2022 04:01 PM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
They don’t play zone in the NBA. We’re supposedly marketing our program as the one kids go to to prepare to play NBA ball.
01-16-2022 04:33 PM
Advertisement

AtlTigerfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Hard to play zone when you have problems defending the 3 pt line.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 04:34 PM by AtlTigerfan.)
01-16-2022 04:33 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(01-16-2022 04:33 PM)AtlTigerfan Wrote:  Hard to play zone when you have problems defending the 3 pt line.

Our 3 point D isn’t going to be worse moving to a zone.
01-16-2022 07:17 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2022 04:33 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  They don’t play zone in the NBA. We’re supposedly marketing our program as the one kids go to to prepare to play NBA ball.

I think this is a major reason we see Penny being so slow to adjust or just refusing to adjust all together. He is selling an “NBA system”. He either hasn’t learned you can’t run an NBA system with college players or he is scared to switch since that it is a major selling point.
01-16-2022 07:18 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

The irony in Penny refusing to go to a zone, he is costing his team countless opportunities for defensive stops and the ability to run and gun after those stops, thus taking advantage of their athleticism and speed.
01-16-2022 08:06 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-16-2022 08:06 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  The irony in Penny refusing to go to a zone, he is costing his team countless opportunities for defensive stops and the ability to run and gun after those stops, thus taking advantage of their athleticism and speed.

Well, penny isn’t a good coach, so……
01-16-2022 08:10 PM
Advertisement

MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(01-16-2022 04:33 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  They don’t play zone in the NBA. We’re supposedly marketing our program as the one kids go to to prepare to play NBA ball.

Guess they can showcase their skills in the CBI
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 08:32 PM by MemphisTigerPawr.)
01-16-2022 08:32 PM
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love

Zone defense is illegal in the NBA, but it's played quite a bit. It's just disguised so they don't get caught. You must not watch much NBA. Most every defensive 3 second violation is caused by a team playing a zone defense.
01-16-2022 09:32 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2022 09:32 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  

Zone defense is illegal in the NBA, but it's played quite a bit. It's just disguised so they don't get caught. You must not watch much NBA. Most every defensive 3 second violation is caused by a team playing a zone defense.

WHY would anybody EVER watch ANY NBA
01-16-2022 10:36 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

Zone defense is not illegal in the nba. That changed 15-20 years ago. Like you said though, it is just very tough to achieve with the defensive 3 second rule.
01-16-2022 11:30 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2022 10:36 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

Because it is 1000x better than college basketball.
01-16-2022 11:30 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2022 11:30 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

Why do enjoy watching something FAKE/FIXED/RIGGED RASSLIN #2---do you also enjoy watching RASSLIN #1-----NBA IS RIGGED

To each his own---I'm just curious that's all---back in the day I used to watch FARGO/PLOWBOY/SPUTNICK/HANDSOME/IDOL----so I am just curious why you watch something rigged
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 04:56 AM by jsw3ent.)
01-17-2022 04:52 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2022 04:52 AM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

Why do enjoy watching something FAKE/FIXED/RIGGED RASSLIN #2---do you also enjoy watching RASSLIN #1-----NBA IS RIGGED

To each his own---I'm just curious that's all---back in the day I used to watch FARGO/PLOWBOY/SPUTNICK/HANDSOME/IDOL----so I am just curious why you watch something rigged

Because it is 1000x better than "unrigged" college basketball.

BTW... I do not believe it is rigged. I have no doubt that players or even refs occasionally shave points but by in large there is no way the games are rigged.
01-17-2022 08:55 AM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2022 08:55 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(01-16-2022 09:32 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  Zone defense is illegal in the NBA, but it's played quite a bit. It's just disguised so they don't get caught. You must not watch much NBA. Most every defensive 3 second violation is caused by a team playing a zone defense.

Because it is 1000x better than "unrigged" college basketball.

BTW... I do not believe it is rigged. I have no doubt that players or even refs occasionally shave points but by in large there is no way the games are rigged.

You can't be serious about the games not being rigged --look up Tim Donaghy--he is just one that has spilled the beans about pregame instructions from league office

We will just have to disagree my fellow TIGER fan---GO TIGERS
01-17-2022 09:03 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators

The Tigers have been facing the Stomper this season. Penny's need to pull some fire out of his warmups soon.
01-17-2022 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.