Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Earthcam
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Rice Earthcam
This shouldn’t even be a story. Rice needs to fire the entire admissions department and stop letting complete nuts into what is supposed to be a place of higher education.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/rice-s...d-12679163

https://twitter.com/riceuniversity/statu...35552?s=21
01-14-2022 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Rice Earthcam
(01-14-2022 08:11 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  This shouldn’t even be a story. Rice needs to fire the entire admissions department and stop letting complete nuts into what is supposed to be a place of higher education.

This complaint is illogical. There is no expectation of privacy outside your personal residence, or maybe your backyard fence. Google has been sending its cars down streets and taking pics and publishing to google maps without consent for 25 years. Rice is allowed to install outdoor cameras anywhere it wants, possibly even indoor cameras in its buildings as long as there isn't reasonable expectation of privacy such as inside dorm rooms and bathrooms. This is the world we live in now. Students will encounter this off campus as well. This isn't unique to Rice. If students can't accept that then they need to give up on modern civilization, and move far far off the grid and only come into town once a month to buy groceries. This reads like another woke joke.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022 05:40 PM by smooth_rough.)
01-14-2022 12:10 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(01-14-2022 12:10 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 08:11 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  This shouldn’t even be a story. Rice needs to fire the entire admissions department and stop letting complete nuts into what is supposed to be a place of higher education.

This complaint is illogical. There is no expectation of privacy outside your personal residence, or maybe your backyard fence. Google has been sending its cars down streets and taking pics and publishing to google maps without consent for 25 years. Rice is allowed to install outdoor cameras anywhere it wants, possibly even indoor cameras in its buildings as long as there isn't reasonable expectation of privacy such as inside dorm rooms and bathrooms. This is the world we live in now. Students will encounter this off campus as well. This isn't unique to Rice. If students can't accept that then they need to give up on modern civilization, and move far far off the grid and only come into town once a month to buy groceries. This complaint reads like another woke joke.

The overall complaint isn’t unfounded - if my employer wanted to all of a sudden install cameras in everyones’ office, you better believe I would be pissed, regardless of me not having a reasonable expectation to privacy.

Just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s above criticism.

Now, some of the specific reasons for complaint do seem illogical - notably the concern for LGBTQ+ students because of how improbable that situation is. .
01-14-2022 01:39 PM
smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2022 01:39 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

This complaint is illogical. There is no expectation of privacy outside your personal residence, or maybe your backyard fence. Google has been sending its cars down streets and taking pics and publishing to google maps without consent for 25 years. Rice is allowed to install outdoor cameras anywhere it wants, possibly even indoor cameras in its buildings as long as there isn't reasonable expectation of privacy such as inside dorm rooms and bathrooms. This is the world we live in now. Students will encounter this off campus as well. This isn't unique to Rice. If students can't accept that then they need to give up on modern civilization, and move far far off the grid and only come into town once a month to buy groceries. This complaint reads like another woke joke.

The overall complaint isn’t unfounded - if my employer wanted to all of a sudden install cameras in everyones’ office, you better believe I would be pissed, regardless of me not having a reasonable expectation to privacy.

Now, some of the specific reasons for complaint do seem illogical - notably the concern for LGBTQ+ students because of how improbable that situation is. .

In post 911 america every office building landlord (or workplace in general) has the right to know who is walking around inside their building, and that's not limited to the lobby. You don't think amazon keeps an eye on its warehouse employees to minimize loss? You can threaten to quit and work for different employer, but good luck bringing up the issue in job interviews for your replacement job. Otherwise maybe ask the boss about work from home policy.

But that's different set of issues really, because this is about outdoors. The issue is not about gender orientation, that's red herring. If that was the case it would be necessary to ban all outdoor cameras everywhere all the time, to prevent hurt feelz. Living away from home for the first time is going to require some personal growth no matter what college one decides to attend. If you don't have the cajones to run baker 13 then don't do it. They used to press their bodies covered in shaving cream up against the glass windows of fondren. Other students would blast them with fire hoses. I feel fortunate that I didn't attend Rice with the current crowd of snowflakes, so cringe worthy.
01-14-2022 02:52 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2022 01:39 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  The overall complaint isn’t unfounded - if my employer wanted to all of a sudden install cameras in everyones’ office, you better believe I would be pissed, regardless of me not having a reasonable expectation to privacy.

Dang! How big is your office?

A bit of apples (your office) to oranges (Rice Quad) comparison.
01-14-2022 02:55 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2022 02:55 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 01:39 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  The overall complaint isn’t unfounded - if my employer wanted to all of a sudden install cameras in everyones’ office, you better believe I would be pissed, regardless of me not having a reasonable expectation to privacy.

Dang! How big is your office?

A bit of apples (your office) to oranges (Rice Quad) comparison.

It’s not that apples to oranges when you start with the broad perspective that this is about not having an expectation of privacy, which was my point. Maybe that didn’t come across clearly, though.

I can understand the concerns of being on a video feed that anyone can access at any time, it feels odd, especially on a campus like Rice that is very private. One of the best parts about Rice was that it didn’t feel like admin was watching your every move, and this goes a bit counter to that. But I don’t fully agree with the students concerns because they start to get into the improbable when it comes to being able to identify, say, a same sex couple holding hands in the quad and then being targeted. I’d be more worried that RUPD would have found video of me drunkenly climbing Willy’s Statue.
01-14-2022 03:59 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2022 02:52 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  

In post 911 america every office building landlord (or workplace in general) has the right to know who is walking around inside their building, and that's not limited to the lobby. You don't think amazon keeps an eye on its warehouse employees to minimize loss? You can threaten to quit and work for different employer, but good luck bringing up the issue in job interviews for your replacement job. Otherwise maybe ask the boss about work from home policy.

But that's different set of issues really, because this is about outdoors. The issue is not about gender orientation, that's red herring. If that was the case it would be necessary to ban all outdoor cameras everywhere all the time, to prevent hurt feelz. Living away from home for the first time is going to require some personal growth no matter what college one decides to attend. If you don't have the cajones to run baker 13 then don't do it. They used to press their bodies covered in shaving cream up against the glass windows of fondren. Other students would blast them with fire hoses. I feel fortunate that I didn't attend Rice with the current crowd of snowflakes, so cringe worthy.

Again, someone having the right to do something doesn’t mean it is inherently above criticism, or even the right thing to do.

As to the rest of the comment, the LGBTQ issue isn’t a red herring - it is an argument made by one of the students. I think it has an improbably small chance of happening, and it just isn’t realistic. So I guess you could call it illogical if you want.

Turning the camera off for Baker 13 is probably for the best, to avoid any potential issue there. Sounds like people still run it, and I bet people still play defense at the colleges. The Fondren business only stopped after one too many students put their asses through a $10k+ window and received serious injuries.
01-14-2022 04:11 PM
smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2022 04:11 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Again, someone having the right to do something doesn’t mean it is inherently above criticism, or even the right thing to do.

As to the rest of the comment, the LGBTQ issue isn’t a red herring - it is an argument made by one of the students. I think it has an improbably small chance of happening, and it just isn’t realistic. So I guess you could call it illogical if you want.

Turning the camera off for Baker 13 is probably for the best, to avoid any potential issue there. Sounds like people still run it, and I bet people still play defense at the colleges. The Fondren business only stopped after one too many students put their asses through a $10k+ window and received serious injuries.

The gender orientation issue is red herring, no matter who mentioned it. TV news cameras are rolling all day long without consent at pride parades around cities in america. What is done in the public domain is part of the public domain, that's why its called public domain. Logic can be triggering to snowflakes.
01-14-2022 04:42 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Perhaps the camera could be repositioned to show just the Sallyport, which students are afraid to walk through anyways. :)
01-14-2022 05:04 PM
smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2022 05:04 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Perhaps the camera could be repositioned to show just the Sallyport, which students are afraid to walk through anyways. :)

The sallyport must be renamed. The word has military origins. It might be considered offensive to some, and not "welcoming". sarc/
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022 09:49 PM by smooth_rough.)
01-14-2022 05:38 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2022 04:42 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 12:10 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  This complaint is illogical. There is no expectation of privacy outside your personal residence, or maybe your backyard fence. Google has been sending its cars down streets and taking pics and publishing to google maps without consent for 25 years. Rice is allowed to install outdoor cameras anywhere it wants, possibly even indoor cameras in its buildings as long as there isn't reasonable expectation of privacy such as inside dorm rooms and bathrooms. This is the world we live in now. Students will encounter this off campus as well. This isn't unique to Rice. If students can't accept that then they need to give up on modern civilization, and move far far off the grid and only come into town once a month to buy groceries. This complaint reads like another woke joke.

The gender orientation issue is red herring, no matter who mentioned it. TV news cameras are rolling all day long without consent at pride parades around cities in america. What is done in the public domain is part of the public domain, that's why its called public domain. Logic can be triggering to snowflakes.

So logically, the government could put up cameras all across the US and it would be totes OK? Seems like your logic would indicate as such.

Boy, oh boy, do I think quite a few people would have a real problem with that.
01-14-2022 06:38 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2022 05:04 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Perhaps the camera could be repositioned to show just the Sallyport, which students are afraid to walk through anyways. :)

Unconventional wisdom.
01-14-2022 06:38 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 06:38 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  So logically, the government could put up cameras all across the US and it would be totes OK? Seems like your logic would indicate as such.
No, it would be the UK. You were only off by one letter! 03-wink
01-14-2022 07:11 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 04:11 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Turning the camera off for Baker 13 is probably for the best...

If nothing else, it is nice to see people rediscovering the idea that one's activities do not have to be streamed or recorded to have happened. Now THAT is unconventional wisdom!
01-14-2022 07:13 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
The Sallyport always filled me with dread, since it reminded me of how the elite 1% would sally forth and skewer my poor ancestors on their lances. I think it should be bricked up so that nobody ever has to feel that dread again.
01-14-2022 07:47 PM
smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2022 06:38 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 04:42 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  

So logically, the government could put up cameras all across the US and it would be totes OK? Seems like your logic would indicate as such.

Boy, oh boy, do I think quite a few people would have a real problem with that.

This isn't about government. But yes government would have more power that way than non-government organizations or individuals. Thats common knowledge.
01-14-2022 09:46 PM
Advertisement

smooth_rough Offline
Water Engineer

Earthcam in Times Square with live shot of people walking around. This is TRIGGERING!

https://www.earthcam.com/cams/newyork/ti...am=tsrobo1
01-15-2022 12:19 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(01-15-2022 12:19 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  Earthcam in Times Square with live shot of people walking around. This is TRIGGERING!

So THAT's how the muggers select their targets.
01-15-2022 12:47 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2022 12:47 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(01-15-2022 12:19 PM)smooth_rough Wrote:  Earthcam in Times Square with live shot of people walking around. This is TRIGGERING!

That last mugging in Times Square might have been 30 years ago. :)
01-15-2022 02:06 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(01-15-2022 02:06 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(01-15-2022 12:47 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

That last mugging in Times Square might have been 30 years ago. :)

Who sez it was the last? Don't they know there is a new DA in town?
01-15-2022 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.