Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP Title Game - 22.6 million viewers
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
CFP Title Game - 22.6 million viewers
Up significantly over last year, down compared to 2020 and before.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-relea...two-years/

I think this is a pretty good rebound number. Remember, it's not really reasonable to compare cable numbers to 5-10 years ago, as cable viewership has dropped and streaming hasn't picked up all of the slack.

Viewership is just down for everything. Even the Super Bowl is down a good 10 million viewers from a decade ago.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 07:39 PM by quo vadis.)
01-11-2022 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: CFP Title Game - 22.6 million viewers
Second lowest of CFP Era.
01-11-2022 07:41 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
It's a good number for the CFP, but it could easily be beaten by every NFL playoff game this year.

The regular season NFL game on Fox on Christmas Day (Packers-Browns) had 3 million more viewers than the CFP title game.

This is why the next CFP format, however many teams it has, will avoid going head-to-head with any NFL games if at all possible, and certainly with as few as they possibly can.
01-11-2022 07:55 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
the 2 MNF Saturday games for comparison got 19.1 million and 20.3 million.
01-11-2022 07:59 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I don't think comparisons with the NFL are very relevant. Nothing compares with the NFL. If MLB and the NBA can't go head to head with the NFL, and they can't - witness the Christmas Day slaughter - it's not realistic to think CFB can.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 08:03 PM by quo vadis.)
01-11-2022 08:03 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-11-2022 08:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't think comparisons with the NFL are very relevant. Nothing compares with the NFL. If MLB and the NBA can't go head to head with the NFL, and they can't - witness the Christmas Day slaughter - it's not realistic to think CFB can.

They won't.

And the NFL now has marked their ground with that Saturday now.
01-11-2022 08:12 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(01-11-2022 07:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  the 2 MNF Saturday games for comparison got 19.1 million and 20.3 million.

I expected these games to draw slightly higher than Bama UGa.

Make no mistake, 23 mil is nothing to be shamed about for a NCG. But the game was competitive until late. It just goes to show that the ratings peaked with Young vs Leinart and the inaugural CFP year. You need more parity, more turnover of blue blood powers, and more representation of different conferences. The sport just isn’t built for that any longer barring some structural overhaul.
01-11-2022 09:23 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-11-2022 09:23 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 07:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  the 2 MNF Saturday games for comparison got 19.1 million and 20.3 million.

Make no mistake, 23 mil is nothing to be shamed about for a NCG. But the game was competitive until late. It just goes to show that the ratings peaked with Young vs Leinart and the inaugural CFP year. You need more parity, more turnover of blue blood powers, and more representation of different conferences. The sport just isn’t built for that any longer barring some structural overhaul.

The 2 games were not exactly great games at all. Especially the Dallas/Philly game that had big guys sitting out both sides.
01-11-2022 09:26 PM
RUScarlets Offline
All American

(01-11-2022 08:12 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 08:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't think comparisons with the NFL are very relevant. Nothing compares with the NFL. If MLB and the NBA can't go head to head with the NFL, and they can't - witness the Christmas Day slaughter - it's not realistic to think CFB can.

They won't.

And the NFL now has marked their ground with that Saturday now.

The product the NFL fielded on Sunday night, bad officiating aside, simply cannot be duplicated in any other sport. Apples and oranges.
01-11-2022 09:27 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I wonder how many people would have watched if the game had been on ABC instead of ESPN.
01-11-2022 09:31 PM
RUScarlets Offline
All American

(01-11-2022 09:26 PM)stever20 Wrote:  The 2 games were not exactly great games at all. Especially the Dallas/Philly game that had big guys sitting out both sides.

Yes, but given this “Seeding Saturday” double header will be a fixture at ESPN going forward, it’s another Saturday that college football is barred from for the foreseeable future. I thought CFP needed this last Saturday as windows for the semis as part of playoff expansion, but that’s gone now for the length of the new NFL TV deal. MLK Monday night NCG is also gone.

There simply won’t be a CFP playoff that extends into mid January. They have to structure a playoff that starts in early December and wraps up this week.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 09:49 PM by RUScarlets.)
01-11-2022 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California

It would be much worse for CFB playoff games, in terms of wasting TV value, to go head to head with the NFL. The NBA isn’t losing anything by having early season games against the NFL — the NBA Christmas games draw more viewers than any other December NBA games even opposite the NFL. The CFB playoffs, in contrast, ought to have the highest rated and most valuable TV games of the whole college football season. They’d be giving up a ton of potential dollars if they go up against NFL games.
01-11-2022 10:49 PM
schmolik Online
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
22.6M is still lower than every year other than last year since 2005.

[Image: c2VydmljZT1pbWFnZXMmc3JjPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJG...NiNQ.q.png]

Anti SEC didn't seem to hurt them in 2018 but did seem to hurt them in 2012. The biggest difference in 2018 was Alabama-Georgia that year was not a rematch as the SEC Championship Game was Georgia vs. Auburn and both 2012 and 2022 were rematches (although the championship games were won by the team that lost the first game).
01-12-2022 08:09 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(01-11-2022 09:23 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

Agree 100%. Reduce the allowed roster spots significantly so as to avoid the stockpiling of talent by the richest football factories to spread the talent around more. That would be a great start. Next you should pool the biggest conferences who want to continue to play at the highest levels, put them all under one entity and renegotiate the TV contracts as one and then share that revenue equally. Then those schools who do not want to become football factories or want to stop dumping all of this money into football can have their own league where those rich collegiate traditions can be created, nurtured and grown.

None of this will ever happen so continue to enjoy it for what it is - some hybrid genetic freak that tries to be everything to everyone and thus fails at being good at any of it.
01-12-2022 08:30 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I’d love to see a regional breakdown. How many people outside of SEC country watched the game? How were the ratings out west, the Midwest, ACC territory, etc?
01-12-2022 09:23 AM
dbackjon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(01-12-2022 09:23 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I’d love to see a regional breakdown. How many people outside of SEC country watched the game? How were the ratings out west, the Midwest, ACC territory, etc?

I’d like to see that as well. The game was barely mentioned on Phoenix sports radio, and social media was pretty quiet as well
01-12-2022 09:30 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-12-2022 08:09 AM)schmolik Wrote:  22.6M is still lower than every year other than last year since 2005.

Anti SEC didn't seem to hurt them in 2018 but did seem to hurt them in 2012. The biggest difference in 2018 was Alabama-Georgia that year was not a rematch as the SEC Championship Game was Georgia vs. Auburn and both 2012 and 2022 were rematches (although the championship games were won by the team that lost the first game).

To me, all of these numbers have to be normed to the fact that numbers for just about all big sporting events are down over the past decade or so. World Series ratings? Down. NBA Championship ratings? Down. Yeah, there have been spikes - the Cubs in 2016 and Cleveland upsetting Golden State that same year boosted ratings, but the trend is down for both.

Even the Super Bowl is down about 10 million viewers since around 2010.

And for events on cable, like the CFP, the impact is likely worse because of cord-cutting, as streaming has not made up for all of the slack.

So IMO, we have to interpret CFP ratings in this context.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2022 10:01 AM by quo vadis.)
01-12-2022 10:00 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Would have been higher if it didn't have 2 SEC teams
01-12-2022 10:00 AM
Just Joe Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Reality
1) Being on cable has a major impact. Regardless of however ubiquitous ESPN may seem, there are still what, over 20% of household that don't have access? (That's just a quick guess, maybe more maybe less.) No other sporting event, including the Super Bowl, wouldn't lose millions of viewers by moving exclusively to cable. It's an overlooked example of CFB selling it's soul for a buck. No other sport has done that with its championship.

2) Monday, while being a "football" night, will never be ideal for a championship. This isn't anyone in power's fault, just is what it is. As has been noted, the NFL adding an 18th week should've given a perfect window to have the title game this past Saturday, only for the NFL to claim it as their own.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2022 10:19 AM by Just Joe.)
01-12-2022 10:18 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(01-12-2022 09:23 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I’d love to see a regional breakdown. How many people outside of SEC country watched the game? How were the ratings out west, the Midwest, ACC territory, etc?

That would be nice. As it stands, less than 10% of the population viewed the game.
01-12-2022 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.