Expansion not happening

01-10-2022 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Expansion not happening
Yeah, not surprising. My optimism about getting an early deal done has waned a lot over the past six months.

I had hoped that SEC dominance of the CFP might have jogged the B1G out of their Alliance stupor, but I guess not.

Looks more and more like will have the CFP for four more seasons, and really, I'm OK with that.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 02:07 PM by quo vadis.)
01-10-2022 01:37 PM
BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big East
Should someone tell them that plummeting ratings wont get them the pay bump they think the next contract will bring?
01-10-2022 01:42 PM
seaking4steel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn St, App St
If only we could get some more competitive semifinal games.
01-10-2022 01:49 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
so to me its safe to assume the G5 and the Alliance couldnt come to an agreement on the auto bids.

Come next go round, where the vote doesnt have to be unanimous, will the G5 be offered take it or leave it the 6 auto 6 at large alignment?
01-10-2022 01:57 PM
ShakeNBake Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FightinChristiansIndians
Either get rid of the Bowls and have a 12 or 16 team playoff or return to Bowls and polls with NYD being the big day. I don't believe you can have an expanded playoff/bowl hybrid system.
01-10-2022 01:57 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-10-2022 01:57 PM)ShakeNBake Wrote:  Either get rid of the Bowls and have a 12 or 16 team playoff or return to Bowls and polls with NYD being the big day. I don't believe you can have an expanded playoff/bowl hybrid system.

well then 12/16 team playoff. **** the bowls.
01-10-2022 02:03 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-10-2022 01:57 PM)ShakeNBake Wrote:  Either get rid of the Bowls and have a 12 or 16 team playoff or return to Bowls and polls with NYD being the big day. I don't believe you can have an expanded playoff/bowl hybrid system.

I would be happy if the current CFP continues. Four teams is enough for me.

Of course, I'm not a conference commissioner or university president who stands to make more money from an expanded playoff, I don't have those bills to pay. But just as a fan of CFB, I like the four team playoff with 40 other bowl games.
01-10-2022 02:04 PM
TroyTBoy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: P6
(01-10-2022 01:57 PM)solohawks Wrote:  so to me its safe to assume the G5 and the Alliance couldnt come to an agreement on the auto bids.

Steadfast after Cincinnati's Final Four appearance, Commissioner Aresco was not going to let the ACC and Pac 12 have autobids and agree to share 1 bid with 4 other leagues.

Unlike the original CFP agreement, Aresco feels he has the data supporting him in this stand. He's doing his job.

[Image: imagegen-52.jpg?anchor=center&mo...2560000000]
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 02:05 PM by TroyTBoy.)
01-10-2022 02:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-10-2022 01:57 PM)solohawks Wrote:  so to me its safe to assume the G5 and the Alliance couldnt come to an agreement on the auto bids.

Come next go round, where the vote doesnt have to be unanimous, will the G5 be offered take it or leave it the 6 auto 6 at large alignment?

Don't forget the SEC. They don't want those P5 autobids either, methinks.
01-10-2022 02:08 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Awful. Horrific. Insane.

I typically understand and very much sympathize with the difficult decisions made by leaders of large organizations. None of it is as easy as the peanut gallery typically believes.

However, I truly thought that the money involved would effectively force a compromise. If there's one thing that the powers that be haven't ever failed to do, it's to seek out the most money even when it's at the expense of fans. Yet, for reasons that continue to boggle my mind, the one area where the power that be could make the most money AND make fans happy - CFP expansion - they still can't come to an agreement.

Meanwhile, the SEC is the one party that benefits from the current rejection of its own playoff expansion proposal that would have honestly helped out everyone else in college football more than the SEC itself. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Of course, the powers that be are leaving the window open with the board probably meeting again in a few weeks, which still leaves that possibility that a deal will get done in time to start prior to 2026. Maybe when these commissioners and presidents come back and come to the sober realization that they're passing up $450 million in free money for 2024 and 2025 that they'll never recoup, they'll come to their senses.

Until then, I firmly place all of the blame on the Alliance and G5. They're the ones that needed to compromise. I'm not an SEC fan at all, but the SEC has been the only entity along with Notre Dame that has been truly been above board here.
01-10-2022 02:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
And interest in the playoff will continue to decline. They looked at a giant pile of money on the table and said "no thanks'
01-10-2022 02:09 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-10-2022 02:09 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  And interest in the playoff will continue to decline. They looked at a giant pile of money on the table and said "no thanks'

When we control for other factors, like the virus and the days on which games were played, and the general decline in cable viewership (which I think is a big factor), I'm not sure interest in the CFP has declined at all.

And if it has, you can make the case that it has declined relative to the BCS. Which had fewer teams involved, not more.
01-10-2022 02:13 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(01-10-2022 02:08 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Don't forget the SEC. They don't want those P5 autobids either, methinks.

I don't really buy that. They may not really support them if it were completely up to them, but it's really hard for me to see if the Alliance and G5 agreed to allow for P5 auto-bids that the SEC would just throw it all out since they'd be getting a benefit. P5 auto-bids is a side issue for the SEC compared to at-large bids, whereas P5 auto-bids appeared to be a core issue for the Alliance and rejecting P5 auto-bids was a core issue for the G5.

This is squarely about the Alliance and G5. They deserve all of the scorn here (and I say that as a fan of an Alliance conference).
01-10-2022 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(01-10-2022 02:09 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Awful. Horrific. Insane.

I typically understand and very much sympathize with the difficult decisions made by leaders of large organizations. None of it is as easy as the peanut gallery typically believes.

However, I truly thought that the money involved would effectively force a compromise. If there's one thing that the powers that be haven't ever failed to do, it's to seek out the most money even when it's at the expense of fans. Yet, for reasons that continue to boggle my mind, the one area where the power that be could make the most money AND make fans happy - CFP expansion - they still can't come to an agreement.

Meanwhile, the SEC is the one party that benefits from the current rejection of its own playoff expansion proposal that would have honestly helped out everyone else in college football more than the SEC itself. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Of course, the powers that be are leaving the window open with the board probably meeting again in a few weeks, which still leaves that possibility that a deal will get done in time to start prior to 2026. Maybe when these commissioners and presidents come back and come to the sober realization that they're passing up $450 million in free money for 2024 and 2025 that they'll never recoup, they'll come to their senses.

Until then, I firmly place all of the blame on the Alliance and G5. They're the ones that needed to compromise. I'm not an SEC fan at all, but the SEC has been the only entity along with Notre Dame that has been truly been above board here.

Ehh. There is another meeting in a few weeks. If your the G5 in this real negotiation---why would you cave now if there is another meeting in a few weeks? You might get a concession in a few weeks that wasnt offered today. I mean, look at it logically from the G5 point of view. Realistically----there is zero chance the "5-1-6" deal currently on the table will get worse a couple of weeks from now. The G5 has nothing to lose by refusing to compromise at this time---and might even get some concession (maybe more money) that isnt on the table today (because honestly---the P5 has little reason to put their best compromise on the table today either). If they fail to come to an agreement at the next meeting---then I'd have to agree with you that its a missed opportunity with the blame going to the Alliance and G5---(more so the Alliance since the SB, CUSA, AAC, MAC, MW, B12, SEC, and Notre Dame--which is a pretty substantial majority---were all on board with the original plan).
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 02:44 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-10-2022 02:34 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(01-10-2022 02:03 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

Which will continue the trek towards NFL Lite. I understand that D2 and D3 have playoffs and all that. They also have nowhere close to the resources tied into their respective programs - like activities associated with universities SHOULD be.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 02:37 PM by miko33.)
01-10-2022 02:36 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-10-2022 02:36 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

Which will continue the trek towards NFL Lite. I understand that D2 and D3 have playoffs and all that. They also have nowhere close to the resources tied into their respective programs - like activities associated with universities SHOULD be.

all the bowls are quite honestly are leaches. They deserve to die a painful death.
01-10-2022 02:38 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kennesaw State
I have never understood why it has to be bowls or playoffs. You can have a 16 team playoff and still send Toledo and Old Dominion or something like that to the Bahamas bowl. If the bowls make money, and are fun let's keep having random Wednesday afternoon games around the holidays. That doesn't mean thier can't also be a playoff.
01-10-2022 02:40 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(01-10-2022 02:09 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Awful. Horrific. Insane.

The power teams have been leaving money on the table for decades when it didn't suit their particular agenda, so this is nothing different.

It may or may not be recouped down the line, but we may never know it. If an expanded playoff avoids extending with solely ESPN and has multiple platforms bidding, they may recoup this free money many times over.

Finally, the SEC and ND saying "agree to our preferred plan or we won't expand" is not compromise. Sounds like a threat or a bluff that was called (and I say this as someone invested in 2 SEC teams).

This will get worked out in 2026. I am fine with 4 teams until then.
01-10-2022 02:43 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(01-10-2022 02:38 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 02:36 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

all the bowls are quite honestly are leaches. They deserve to die a painful death.

They're all leaches though - the schools, the bowls, the networks, etc. The bowls are pretty worthless too considering the trend of having the biggest CFB stars who are draft eligible to skip the CFB post season to not risk their NFL draft prospects. One thing the bowls did provide to CFB viewers was a distinction vs the NFL from an experience standpoint. As those differences evaporate and as CFB looks more and more like the NFL, it's going to make it harder to want to watch when you can view a superior product.
01-10-2022 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.