Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Revolutionary Idea: What’s Past is Prologue
Bookmark and Share
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Revolutionary Idea: What’s Past is Prologue
I’ve probably had too much Coke Zero today, but hear me out…

I’ve been watching a lot of EMU’s old offense with Ron Adams lately. What if we went back to the triple-option/wishbone? Seriously though.

Here are the advantages of the triple-option:
1) No one runs it, making it difficult to prepare for. It allows one to establish a physical presence that could wear down defenses. Most other MAC offenses are not physical, which again means that our opponents would not be accustomed to our approach.
2) It compensates for physical deficiencies. You don’t need a mammoth OL to run it, and the system can overcome poor recruiting (also by keeping your own defense off the field). Since we haven’t recruited very well as a program since forever, this would allow us to “out-scheme” our talent.
3) The triple-option would fit the blue-collar culture of the current staff, and would be conducive to cold-weather games in Michigan.

I’m serious about this. I think #2 above is the most important thing for me.

Are we ever going to out-recruit WMU, Toledo, or even CMU? Probably not. So, if not, let’s attack them schematically with something that they won’t be able to prepare for. It works for Army, Navy, and Air Force. Why can’t it work for us? We’re trying to win the MAC, not the National Championship…

Put Aaron Jackson back at QB, and let’s run people over.
01-03-2022 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Revolutionary Idea: What’s Past is Prologue
(01-03-2022 12:01 AM)holybovine Wrote:  I’ve probably had too much Coke Zero today, but hear me out…

I’ve been watching a lot of EMU’s old offense with Ron Adams lately. What if we went back to the triple-option/wishbone? Seriously though.

1) No one runs it, making it difficult to prepare for. It allows one to establish a physical presence that could wear down defenses. Most other MAC offenses are not physical, which again means that our opponents would not be accustomed to our approach.
2) It compensates for physical deficiencies. You don’t need a mammoth OL to run it, and the system can overcome poor recruiting (also by keeping your own defense off the field). Since we haven’t recruited very well as a program since forever, this would allow us to “out-scheme” our talent.
3) The triple-option would fit the blue-collar culture of the current staff, and would be conducive to cold-weather games in Michigan.

Are we ever going to out-recruit WMU, Toledo, or even CMU? Probably not. So, if not, let’s attack them schematically with something that they won’t be able to prepare for. It works for Army, Navy, and Air Force. Why can’t it work for us? We’re trying to win the MAC, not the National Championship…

Aaron could alternate with Samson Evans.
01-03-2022 05:41 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(01-03-2022 05:41 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-03-2022 12:01 AM)holybovine Wrote:  I’ve probably had too much Coke Zero today, but hear me out…

it would take 3 years at least to rejigger the roster offensively to get the right personnel to make that work (and if it didnt it would take another 3 years to go back). theres a reason only a couple of schools run that system - as much as i like siege warfare.

Pay-walled but the athletic wrote at length recently about it: https://theathletic.com/3004022/2021/12/...-carousel/
01-03-2022 08:04 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Ron English tried to be mostly running attack with one dimensional running QBs and that didn’t work. We need to have a balanced offense. Our current state of affairs requires us to pass to get any yards and we can’t run the ball consistently. If we have the same coaches on the OL and DL we will be talking about this next year too.
01-03-2022 09:29 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 09:29 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ron English tried to be mostly running attack with one dimensional running QBs and that didn’t work. We need to have a balanced offense. Our current state of affairs requires us to pass to get any yards and we can’t run the ball consistently. If we have the same coaches on the OL and DL we will be talking about this next year too.
QB run plays help the entire run game because the defense has one more runner to worry about. That's why I think EMU needs a QB that can run and pass. Hutch may have been a better choice for EMU, especially in the conference games.

Look what Lombardi did for NIU. He ran for almost 500 yds and 9 TDs. EMU can make the run game a priority without going triple option and discarding the pass.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022 01:11 PM by TheWoodenNickle.)
01-03-2022 09:52 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
If, we look at the play calling for the offense, I think we could do better. As i watched games this year, Eastern almost never ran reverses, jet sweeps, draw plays, and what happened to the double pass play, which many teams this bowl season tried in games that I watched.
Our offense for the most part is dive off tackle, bubble screens to the short side of the field, and occasionally a pass downfield. The other thing I noticed in many games. Eastern would throw a pass on first down, and then almost always run off tackle on the second play of the series, or reverse the order and run first. I really think that opposing teams picked up on that, and were better able to defend against us.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022 09:56 AM by Ken Barna.)
01-03-2022 09:54 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(01-03-2022 09:54 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
If, we look at the play calling for the offense, I think we could do better. As i watched games this year, Eastern almost never ran reverses, jet sweeps, draw plays, and what happened to the double pass play, which many teams this bowl season tried in games that I watched.
Our offense for the most part is dive off tackle, bubble screens to the short side of the field, and occasionally a pass downfield. The other thing I noticed in many games. Eastern would throw a pass on first down, and then almost always run off tackle on the second play of the series, or reverse the order and run first. I really think that opposing teams picked up on that, and were better able to defend against us.

This is where I think the Eagles would benefit from reinstating the Offensive Coordinator position. Get someone in place who could do some creative thinking in-game. CC would still have some say as Head Coach, but could also focus some on defense during the game.
01-03-2022 10:20 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-03-2022 10:20 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  

This is where I think the Eagles would benefit from reinstating the Offensive Coordinator position. Get someone in place who could do some creative thinking in-game. CC would still have some say as Head Coach, but could also focus some on defense during the game.

the old offense id like to see if the old run n shoot
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022 10:53 AM by dansplaining.)
01-03-2022 10:51 AM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

1 million percent agree Cid. Love CC but I really think we need a different set of eyes on that role. We have arguably the nest WR's returning in the MAC next yr and we should have a good line returning. The pieces are in place offensively.
01-03-2022 02:07 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

I am not sure about the content of your suggestion, but I love the title of your thread. “What’s past is prologue” is very poetic!!
01-03-2022 02:30 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 02:30 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  I am not sure about the content of your suggestion, but I love the title of your thread. “What’s past is prologue” is very poetic!!

Stolen from those smarter than I.04-cheers
01-03-2022 07:39 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 10:51 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

the old offense id like to see if the old run n shoot

In the mid-80s, New Mexico ran a hybrid wishbone combined with the RnS. I watched some film on it last week. It was fun!
01-03-2022 07:41 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 09:52 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(01-03-2022 09:29 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ron English tried to be mostly running attack with one dimensional running QBs and that didn’t work. We need to have a balanced offense. Our current state of affairs requires us to pass to get any yards and we can’t run the ball consistently. If we have the same coaches on the OL and DL we will be talking about this next year too.
QB run plays help the entire run game because the defense has one more runner to worry about. That's why I think EMU needs a QB that can run and pass. Hutch may have been a better choice for EMU, especially in the conference games.

Look what Lombardi did for NIU. He ran for almost 500 yds and 9 TDs. EMU can make the run game a priority without going triple option and discarding the pass.

Yes. Need to make the defense account for the extra runner.

Michigan is learning about this too, after a decade in the dark.
01-03-2022 07:42 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 08:04 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(01-03-2022 05:41 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

it would take 3 years at least to rejigger the roster offensively to get the right personnel to make that work (and if it didnt it would take another 3 years to go back). theres a reason only a couple of schools run that system - as much as i like siege warfare.

Pay-walled but the athletic wrote at length recently about it: https://theathletic.com/3004022/2021/12/...-carousel/

I’m down for the transition costs. If we’re only winning between 5-7 games a year anyway, the potential reward is worth the risk.
01-03-2022 07:44 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

We tried the Jeff Genyk gimmick...almost worked. Look, MAC programs are big fish in a small pond. CMU, NIU, WMU, Toledo, Ohio, etc own their campus towns. It's the only thing going. EMU, not so much. Most athletes want to feel special, not be totally ignored. If you start a minor league franchise, you probably will have more success in Des Moines than Chicago. That being said, a gimmick offense could be the ticket. I'd probably re-try the Genyk, i.e. Texas Tech Red Gun offense and pair it with a presentable defense.
01-04-2022 07:43 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-04-2022 07:43 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  We tried the Jeff Genyk gimmick...almost worked. Look, MAC programs are big fish in a small pond. CMU, NIU, WMU, Toledo, Ohio, etc own their campus towns. It's the only thing going. EMU, not so much. Most athletes want to feel special, not be totally ignored. If you start a minor league franchise, you probably will have more success in Des Moines than Chicago. That being said, a gimmick offense could be the ticket. I'd probably re-try the Genyk, i.e. Texas Tech Red Gun offense and pair it with a presentable defense.

i agree with bob. air raid / fun and gun is awesome
01-04-2022 07:47 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I've often wondered why the Vandy's, Rutgers, Kansas and for that matter EMU have not done this. Georgia Tech hired a Navy coach and immediately improved their record, they had a decent 10 year run.

The pros:

There are a TON of HS QB's who would love to play quarterback instead of switching positions as many do to get a NCAA scholarship.

EMU does not have a history of recruiting high talent receivers like Pimpleton, Skye Moore, Corey Davis, Kenny Golladay, etc... The Veer or Wishbone does not require such.

Your O-Line can be less athletic. No longer does your tackle need to have the foot speed to combat speedy DE's getting to a throwing QB. Just launch straight ahead and move your man.

The Cons:

It's not appealing to fans. Football has become a passing game, Woody and Bo are dead.

I do think that a service academy offense could consistently nail down 4-5 MAC wins but with the recent rule changes favoring passing, I doubt it gets EMU to Detroit. Once you are down by two scores, it is pretty much game over.

How many payday games are you going to be able to schedule? Tennessee paid Army $500K to get out of a previously scheduled game. No Power 5 team wants to prepare for an offense they will never see again that season and get their speedy pass rush beat up.

An intriguing idea for sure Cow.
01-04-2022 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.