Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

podcast
Bookmark and Share
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Drexel
podcast
a few of us are going to try making a podcast hopefully every week. here's our first episode if you have some time to kill...which you might since everything this week is cancelled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChB8YE7UgU&t=1229s
12-27-2021 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Water Boy Offline
2nd String

RE: podcast
Thanks for doing this. I always enjoy any kind of Drexel content.

After last night's games, you may need to fire the guy providing the CAA analysis :)
Just kidding, those games show the importance of being at home even without school in session. Your goal for the podcast though should be to convert Dan to a FloHoops fan. While perhaps not the ideal platform, for me it is an efficient way to see a lot of CAA basketball.
12-30-2021 04:29 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Episode 2

I will post for you here. Keep up the good talks
01-03-2022 01:34 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

it's been great talking with metsox. haven't seen him for a while and like i was saying last night it's better to talk to him straight up than decipher twitter messages. keeping up with relationships is part of burnout prevention so that's what i'm trying to do.
01-03-2022 03:17 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

There is not a good place to put this, and I did not feel it warranted a new thread, so I am putting it here. I visited family between Christmas and New Years and made it a point to visit campus. I had not been back to campus since graduating and knew a lot had been done. I know many of us were critical of Fry when it came to announcing all of the retail space and spending a lot of money on developing non-academic areas as a source of income for the University. Some of those concerns of that approach are still valid, however, the south side of campus looks really good now. It is unrecognizable from when I was there a decade ago. The Student center and corner of Chestnut really looks nice and professional

I think it makes the campus looks much more desirable than it was previously. The new business building and quad look great (despite taking away the fountain). The focus on adding green areas certainly make it look nice. All of the pavers through campus appear to have been updated and look nice. I think all of the adirondack chairs everywhere is a bit over the top, but I cant complain about encouraging outdoor seating and utilizing all space.

The work on Market street and getting rid of Firestone and that disaster of an intersection is great. I like that UCrossings is now all Drexel owned and we have those massive Drexel signs on it. I think they look good in the skyline as promotion of the school. Overall I think the upgrades made really make the university look better aesthetically. Sure the 2 halves of campus look a bit disjointed with the orange blocky buildings and the new stuff, but to me it looks really nice. Hopefully the work on the older dorms turn out really good too.

Obviously campus was closed so nothing was open, except the squash center, but overall I really like how the campus is looking these days. So well done. As ridiculous as the squash center is, they did a great job with it and that is all I will say on that. The back side of the DAC looks much better with the actual ticket windows and such. From the cameras at games I do like the upgrades made to the appearance of the DAC inside (chairbacks, closed in corners, fascade upon entering from the back etc).
01-05-2022 08:36 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i think we briefly got on the topic of what direction drexel is headed after seeing jmu move up the ladder. we're new to this so eventually we'll get good at setting aside certain topics.

i remember going back to campus in 2017 after being away for at least about 5 years if not longer. it was a dramatic change then and i get the feeling even more has changed in the last 2 years. i planned to head down for homecoming but we'll have to see what happens like with everything else right now.

agree that the changes have been excellent. like i said when i was talking about our place in the big 5...there's really no reason to hang your head in shame if you're a drexel student, alum, fan, or whatever.
01-05-2022 12:41 PM
Advertisement

metsox Offline
Water Engineer

Bumping this up. Had a lot of fun and for those of you into the realignment discussion, this should cover a lot of ground. I know it made me smarter.

https://anchor.fm/dubbpod
01-20-2022 08:57 AM
Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
(01-20-2022 08:57 AM)metsox Wrote:  I know it made me smarter.

Of course that's a low bar to clear......03-lmfao
01-20-2022 02:20 PM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

(01-20-2022 02:20 PM)Timer Wrote:  
(01-20-2022 08:57 AM)metsox Wrote:  I know it made me smarter.

Of course that's a low bar to clear......03-lmfao

Unbelievable limbo job by the Pod, no question
01-20-2022 02:35 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Great episode and interview with Brian Mull
02-01-2022 07:30 AM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

(02-01-2022 07:30 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Great episode and interview with Brian Mull

Appreciate it! Gotten a lot of love from the Carolina's on that one, and Brian is obviously a top flight smart guy who has covered the league for a couple decades so its a treat for us to chat with him.

Jerry Beach, who covers Hofstra and NY sports will be on this Sunday so prob not as much NC content, but should still have some good CAA nuggets. And we always welcome guests and topic ideas... the show is about having community at Drexel, but I really look to involve the broader CAA as well... all opinions are welcome, as long as you're not from Delaware :)
02-03-2022 03:42 PM
Advertisement

ibby10 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Stony Brook
(02-03-2022 03:42 PM)metsox Wrote:  
(02-01-2022 07:30 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Great episode and interview with Brian Mull

Appreciate it! Gotten a lot of love from the Carolina's on that one, and Brian is obviously a top flight smart guy who has covered the league for a couple decades so its a treat for us to chat with him.

Jerry Beach, who covers Hofstra and NY sports will be on this Sunday so prob not as much NC content, but should still have some good CAA nuggets. And we always welcome guests and topic ideas... the show is about having community at Drexel, but I really look to involve the broader CAA as well... all opinions are welcome, as long as you're not from Delaware :)

Should be interesting pod.. will be fun to hear Hofstra’s view on SBU. I’m looking forward to play them twice in conference schedule. My hunch is their fan base is 50/50 on us joining. They could use a local rival and us too, but probably hate to see us catch up to them.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022 05:31 PM by ibby10.)
02-03-2022 05:14 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Welcome to the league! While on the Drexel side please try to refrain from mentioning:
The Armory
Squash
2006-07
2011-12
Squash
The 2011 CAA Men's Quarterfinals
Anything positive about Delaware
Squash
FloSports (sorry Carp)
Libraries
and Squash
02-03-2022 05:41 PM
jcohen42 Online
Special Teams

That's top-10-nationally-ranked Squash to you! 03-wink
02-03-2022 07:41 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-03-2022 05:14 PM)ibby10 Wrote:  

Should be interesting pod.. will be fun to hear Hofstra’s view on SBU. I’m looking forward to play them twice in conference schedule. My hunch is their fan base is 50/50 on us joining. They could use a local rival and us too, but probably hate to see us catch up to them.

I'm looking forward to SBU joining the CAA. The island is a tough place to get to for outsiders, so it just makes sense to have the 2 division 1 mid-majors there in the same conference to be travel partners. I haven't been to a game at Hofstra since 1997 when they played at their old gym, but someday I might make a weekend of it if I can watch two games up there. Hopefully the CAA does do Hofstra/SBU as travel partners and doesn't do SBU/Northeastern and Hofstra/Monmouth.
02-03-2022 08:39 PM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

(02-03-2022 07:41 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  That's top-10-nationally-ranked Squash to you! 03-wink

There's 11 programs??
02-03-2022 08:41 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

The Stony Brook addition would be an interesting topic of discussion.

Why did Hofstra evolve from their previous anti Stony Brook position and was that the ultimate factor that delayed these much needed N/S divisions?
02-04-2022 09:13 AM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

(02-04-2022 09:13 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Why did Hofstra evolve from their previous anti Stony Brook position and was that the ultimate factor that delayed these much needed N/S divisions?

SB is top of the list with regards to realignment, for sure
02-04-2022 01:21 PM
ibby10 Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank you! Looking forward to starting a new NY/Philly rivalry. And now you have piqued my curiosity…. Going to google Drexel and Squash :)

(02-03-2022 05:41 PM)DrachenFire Wrote:  Welcome to the league! While on the Drexel side please try to refrain from mentioning:
The Armory
Squash
2006-07
2011-12
Squash
The 2011 CAA Men's Quarterfinals
Anything positive about Delaware
Squash
FloSports (sorry Carp)
Libraries
and Squash
02-04-2022 02:34 PM
ibby10 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-04-2022 09:13 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Why’s did Hofstra evolve from their previous anti Stony Brook position and was that the ultimate factor that delayed these much needed N/S divisions?

Besides academic, geographic and athletic fit, there may be a few reasons from Hofstra side. Just speculation but who knows:

First… the long time Hofstra president Rabinowitz has retired recently who was very opposed to us. He didn’t want Stony Brook’s competition in the Long Island market for media and recruits. New president probably views us differently.

Second, We don’t have the loud mouth AD Fiore in charge any more. Though he was instrumental in moving our Athletic dept forward during his tenure, he had ruffled a few feathers around. Was fired for misconduct.

Lastly, Hofstra’ current AD Cole was former associate athletic director at Stony Brook.
02-04-2022 02:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.