Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Biggest Home JMU Men's basketball game in history.
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Biggest Home JMU Men's basketball game in history.
I heard the announcers say Tuesday was the biggest home game, but I don't agree.

I think the three biggest game were:

1) Ralph Sampson Game (loss)
2) UNLV Game (loss)
3) Tuesday's UVA Game. (win)

Now Tuesday's win was the biggest win from an excitement/all things considered standpoint.

Tuesday's was also the most attended home game.

To me nothing I've seen has matched the Ralph Sampson game.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2021 04:35 PM by Dukester.)
12-09-2021 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
RE: Biggest Home JMU Men's basketball game in history.
(12-09-2021 04:34 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I heard the announcers say Tuesday was the biggest home game, but I don't agree.

2) UNLV Game (loss)

Now Tuesday's win was the biggest win from an excitement/all things considered standpoint.

Um Dukester I think they meant attendance-wise, buddy.
12-09-2021 04:38 PM
JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

(12-09-2021 04:34 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I heard the announcers say Tuesday was the biggest home game, but I don't agree.

2) UNLV Game (loss)

Dukester, I had graduated by the time Lefty's Dukes hosted and demolished the Ticks for a Midnight Madness game. My wife was there. I'm thinking it might be in the Top 5.
12-09-2021 04:39 PM
Dukester Offline

(12-09-2021 04:39 PM)JMU1987UVA1998 Wrote:  

2) UNLV Game (loss)

Dukester, I had graduated by the time Lefty's Dukes hosted and demolished the Ticks for a Midnight Madness game. My wife was there. I'm thinking it might be in the Top 5.

The midnight game was one of those unique games. It was weird because we were so top heavy attendance wise - meaning students were up in the bleachers and tons of no shows on the lower level.

I think the actual people at that game was only about 4500.
12-09-2021 05:00 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

I think in the context of exactly where JMU stands at this moment in time, Tuesday's game is by far the most important home game/victory we've ever had. This win could be a real turning point for the program and the university. For the team this win provides hope that an at large bid may actually be possible. I guarantee this victory cements the student (and local) support we need to really give us the home court advantage we so desperately have been missing. From a recruiting standpoint this will be massive. That kind of fan support coupled with our incredible new facilities makes us hard to beat.

From the JMU perspective, it was another softball-like moment which brought us even more national exposure on the heels of our Sun Belt announcement and CAA crap. With the dukes Rise challenge and the importance of re-engaging alums and growing our donor base the timing was perfect. And, the excitement from Tuesday is also very likely to carry over to Friday night's game. Hopefully the students come out on fire- I'm betting they will!

Look, this is like arguing over superman vs batman! But Tuesday's game was huge!

Go Dukes!
12-09-2021 07:29 PM
Advertisement

JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

Maybe we can agree that we should have a list of biggest games played in Godwin, biggest games played in the Convo and the biggest games played in the Bank.

Tuesday night's victory with COVID restrictions in place last season is definitely the biggest victory to date at the Bank. Like others I expect it to pay huge dividends for years to come.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2021 07:37 PM by JMU1987UVA1998.)
12-09-2021 07:36 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Maybe just recency bias obviously but I would lean towards this one being the biggest because of where the program stands. Basketball has been bad for so long and attendance had plummeted, JMU is firmly a football school but the new arena and improvement of the team has the potential to start bringing the fans back. This game was an opportunity to put a huge jump start on things, this can get the attention of people who would've otherwise needed a couple years of good JMU basketball to start to take notice.

Need to take advantage of that sudden jolt and keep it going though, would be a shame to get everyone's attention then **** the bed and have them calling it a fluke.
12-09-2021 07:49 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Ralph played us twice in the Burg. His sophomore year at Godwin. We lost by 1. His senior year which was year 1 at the convo and UVA won easily.

Tuesday night is the biggest win. And I do think Ralph’s visit to Godwin was the biggest game.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2021 06:18 AM by Dukesfan71.)
12-10-2021 06:14 AM
James Madison Offline
Special Teams

Just checked and it appears that we gained around 250 new donors after the UVA win bringing us to 1990 donors. I didn’t check right before the game so hard to say exactly how much we jumped. Last I checked though we were at around 1740. I do have a screenshot from thanksgiving though where we had 1685 so we’ve gained 305 donors since thanksgiving alone
12-10-2021 07:53 AM
Advertisement

Halz87 Offline
1st String

I would say the loss to eventual champs Jordan/Worthy UNC in '82 has to be included. A "better take notice of these guys" moment that has been washed out due to the state of the program the last 20 or so years. But we use to hang our hat on that as an aspirational moment.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/box...dison.html
12-10-2021 08:12 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2021 07:53 AM)James Madison Wrote:  Just checked and it appears that we gained around 250 new donors after the UVA win bringing us to 1990 donors. I didn’t check right before the game so hard to say exactly how much we jumped. Last I checked though we were at around 1740. I do have a screenshot from thanksgiving though where we had 1685 so we’ve gained 305 donors since thanksgiving alone

Dang. Glad we got some new donors, but alarmed at how many we lost in the past 2 years. Pretty sure we were up around 2700-2800. Anyone else know the numbers?
12-10-2021 09:14 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

I believe this is the first time we've taken the scalp from a national championship winning coach at home. Also UVA is ONLY three years removed from said NC, some of those players on the court on Tuesday were on that NC team (even if Clark was the only one to see the floor).

Given that fact and the epic crowd, this might be our biggest home win, and game. Ralph Sampson was a bigger media circus, but not quite like taking down the former champs.
12-10-2021 10:03 AM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(12-10-2021 09:14 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(12-10-2021 07:53 AM)James Madison Wrote:  Just checked and it appears that we gained around 250 new donors after the UVA win bringing us to 1990 donors. I didn’t check right before the game so hard to say exactly how much we jumped. Last I checked though we were at around 1740. I do have a screenshot from thanksgiving though where we had 1685 so we’ve gained 305 donors since thanksgiving alone

Dang. Glad we got some new donors, but alarmed at how many we lost in the past 2 years. Pretty sure we were up around 2700-2800. Anyone else know the numbers?

I believe the counter is only for current fiscal year giving (aka 2022 giving) and many won't give until the spring before the deadline. Could be wrong about the exact timing, but it does point out FY22 giving, so I'd imagine it's also only counting those who have alright given some dollars in this fiscal year.
12-10-2021 10:48 AM
Advertisement

91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND

2) UNLV Game (loss)

Having been at the midnight madness game (as a student) and this week's game (as an old dad man), I have to say that there was something electric against UR (though that may have been the Jaegermeister talking). It was just such a thorough Tick @ss-kicking - literally from the opening tip. Add to it national TV, a well-lubricated student section, and it was one of those games I'll never forget.

UVa was the bigger win, but the Ticks game (to me) is the more memorable.
12-10-2021 11:57 AM
McDowell Duke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes

2) UNLV Game (loss)

That was the #1 game. It was a raucous environment. At least half of us in the stands had a few. Several were pretty toasted by midnight.
12-10-2021 12:03 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Purdue back in the Lefty days was a big win
12-10-2021 12:05 PM
Dukester Offline

(12-10-2021 12:05 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Purdue back in the Lefty days was a big win

Fla blowout. was great, although crowd not big with students out.

Surprised how many BYU fans were at Convo.
12-10-2021 12:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.