UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...interesting development concerning our Bowl Opponent...
GreenFreakUAB Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
...in keeping with the 'clickbait' mode of things at the generally goofy / SEC lusting "Saturdays Down South" site... ...my apologies for the thread title...

...but, bottom line, BYU's HC is being eyed by Oregon, who of course is now in the market for a new HC... here's the link:

BYU's Sitake to Oregon?

...perhaps a bit of distraction for the Cougars? 05-stirthepot
12-08-2021 01:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: ...interesting development concerning our Bowl Opponent...
There's chatter on their board, but the general consensus is that he's not going anywhere. That said, if Oregon wants him, they've got a fat pot of monetary leverage. We'll see. The other big jobs are already filled, so they can afford to take time to look closely. I suspect that their name and facilities will hold things together pretty well as long as it does not drag on forever.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2021 02:18 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
12-08-2021 02:16 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This coach is very connected to BYU, he has history with them. With BYU going to the Big XII I put his chances of leaving for Oregon at .019%.
12-08-2021 07:38 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

I don't think he'll be Oregon's choice.
12-08-2021 08:14 AM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(12-08-2021 07:38 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  This coach is very connected to BYU, he has history with them. With BYU going to the Big XII I put his chances of leaving for Oregon at .019%.

Are we sure? I mean we saw Oklahoma, headed to SEC, lose Lincoln Riley. Notre Dame lost Kelly after a whole decade. Money talks
12-08-2021 08:29 AM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(12-08-2021 08:29 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 07:38 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  This coach is very connected to BYU, he has history with them. With BYU going to the Big XII I put his chances of leaving for Oregon at .019%.

Are we sure? I mean we saw Oklahoma, headed to SEC, lose Lincoln Riley. Notre Dame lost Kelly after a whole decade. Money talks

Money is not in short supply at BYU either.
12-08-2021 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(12-08-2021 09:08 AM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  

But it is in Notre Dame and Oklahoma?
12-08-2021 09:09 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Comparing apples to oranges.

1. Lincoln had no history with Oklahoma.
2. Easier to win a NC in the PAC 12 than SEC.
3. Kelly tooked ND as far as he could take them. Probably would have taken the USC job over LSU if offered.

Both coaches want to wn a NC, Lincoln just chose a path of least resistance. The money was just the icing on the cake.
12-08-2021 09:22 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-08-2021 09:22 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

3. Kelly tooked ND as far as he could take them. Probably would have taken the USC job over LSU if offered.

Both coaches want to wn a NC, Lincoln just chose a path of least resistance. The money was just the icing on the cake.

It’s easier to make the playoffs, not easier to win the NC.
12-08-2021 10:27 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

(12-08-2021 10:27 AM)Usajags Wrote:  

I would argue it's NOT easier to make the playoff from the Pac-12. The Pac has the fewest appearances (2) of all the A5 conferences and has only 1 win. The SEC has made the most appearances with 10.
12-08-2021 10:42 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-08-2021 10:42 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  

I would argue it's NOT easier to make the playoff from the Pac-12. The Pac has the fewest appearances (2) of all the A5 conferences and has only 1 win. The SEC has made the most appearances with 10.

I think my brain is stuck in playoff expansion mode. If they do take “P5” conference champs, PAC will be in every year. It’s easier to win the PAC12 than the SEC.
12-08-2021 10:53 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:

It's an easier path for USC to make the playoffs and possibly win a NC as they have previously done in the PAC 12. Lincoln will be able to keep some of that California talent at home and with USC being a blue blood and a brand name they will have no issue getting back to national prominence once they start winning again.

As Clemson proved, you don't need the entire ACC to be good as long as your team is taking care of business. The same will apply to USC.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2021 11:30 AM by HiddenDragon.)
12-08-2021 11:27 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
(12-08-2021 10:53 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 08:29 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  Are we sure? I mean we saw Oklahoma, headed to SEC, lose Lincoln Riley. Notre Dame lost Kelly after a whole decade. Money talks

I think my brain is stuck in playoff expansion mode. If they do take “P5” conference champs, PAC will be in every year. It’s easier to win the PAC12 than the SEC.

but the sec will have at least 3 teams every years
PAC12 =1
BIG 12= 1
bIG 10= 1
ACC =1
SEC =1 PLUS 2 AT large
Non P5 MAYBE ONE
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2021 11:42 AM by UABFRENCHY.)
12-08-2021 11:40 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I think Oregon should hire Ed Ogeron just for my own personal amusement.
12-08-2021 11:40 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Probably the biggest issue for USC once it is rebuilt to an elite level is going to be the level of competition. Beating up on a bunch of less thans all through the regular season does not prepare you for the really tough games once the playoff starts. Getting them back to the point of reaching the playoff is easier, especially once they go to twelve teams.
12-08-2021 11:43 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

(12-08-2021 11:27 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 08:29 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  Are we sure? I mean we saw Oklahoma, headed to SEC, lose Lincoln Riley. Notre Dame lost Kelly after a whole decade. Money talks

It's an easier path for USC to make the playoffs and possibly win a NC as they have previously done in the PAC 12. Lincoln will be able to keep some of that California talent at home and with USC being a blue blood and a brand name they will have no issue getting back to national prominence once they start winning again.

As Clemson proved, you don't need the entire ACC to be good as long as your team is taking care of business. The same will apply to USC.

Sure, except they haven't done it in the playoff era. Neither has Texas who has the same advantages. What you say is all true, sure, except that it hasn't been. Maybe Riley will fix that. Maybe he won't.
12-08-2021 11:48 AM
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(12-08-2021 09:09 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 09:08 AM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  

But it is in Notre Dame and Oklahoma?

I don't see where I said that.

BYU is the flagship university of the entire LDS church and there's plenty of wealthy Mormons with an interest.

BYU went independent in football several years ago to benefit the program, which it has done. Now they've been invited to join a P5 conference due to that success. The boosters of BYU are not likely to want to go into a P5 conference having to rely on a new coach to keep them from beginning their Big 12 existence at the bottom of the pile.

Notre Dame isn't changing conferences and they feel like they could get anyone they want anyway.

Oklahoma? Sure they're changing conferences, but they're confident that in just being Oklahoma they can easily get a coach who will have them competitive in the SEC from the get-go.

BYU, on the other hand, needs to find someone that fits into their unique culture. The only schools as morally strict as BYU are the service academies.
12-08-2021 11:51 AM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Which is why a coach might want to leave BYU. Opens recruitment up to much more kids, with more opportunity to be a much better team without the strictness of BYU rules. I am sure they miss out on a lot of kids cause they don't want to be in that environment.
12-08-2021 01:37 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

App state had no effects from an in-game adjustments perspective when they lost their coach prior to playing us.
12-08-2021 01:57 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-08-2021 11:43 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Probably the biggest issue for USC once it is rebuilt to an elite level is going to be the level of competition. Beating up on a bunch of less thans all through the regular season does not prepare you for the really tough games once the playoff starts.

Hasn't hurt Clemson.
12-08-2021 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.