Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Staff retention
Bookmark and Share
Keeper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Exclamation Staff retention
Silverfield says he will not decide until after the bowl. His call, but might not be the best choice for recruiting. I a coach will not be retained he should not be recruiting now.
12-06-2021 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

RE: Staff retention
(12-06-2021 06:03 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Silverfield says he will not decide until after the bowl. His call, but might not be the best choice for recruiting. I a coach will not be retained he should not be recruiting now.

Who should he get rid of...

Special Teams Coordinator?

Defense improved...

I don't think the defense issue is a coaching\scheme problem...It is a talent problem.

Somebody needs to get some speed on that side of the ball...Heck both sides of the ball is Austin leaves.
12-06-2021 06:11 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2021 06:11 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(12-06-2021 06:03 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Silverfield says he will not decide until after the bowl. His call, but might not be the best choice for recruiting. I a coach will not be retained he should not be recruiting now.

Defense improved...

I don't think the defense issue is a coaching\scheme problem...It is a talent problem.

Somebody needs to get some speed on that side of the ball...Heck both sides of the ball is Austin leaves.

I know our recruiting has been historically good under Silverfield , it is not showing in Offensive line , running backs, receivers, D-line or Defensive backs —. We need a lot of positions filled with better players
12-06-2021 06:15 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol

“Our recruiting under Silverfield has been good except for OL, DL, RB, WR, and DB”

Is the football program a bigger mess right now or is it Penny’s 3 alarm fire?
12-06-2021 06:38 PM
Herff Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: T-I-G-E-R-S
“Our recruiting under Silverfield has been good except for . . . ”

This wouldn't be topic if Brady White had opted for another season, or "IF, IF" Grant Gunnell hadn't gotten injured and his little bit of experience had proven to have meant a lot.

I saw quite a few passes missed. I saw quite a few "locked onto a receiver". I saw quite a few forced passes. I'm not knocking Henigan, he was phenomenal, for a true freshman, but that true freshman-ism showed.

I thought the narrative going into this was that we had a great recruiting class. The true FR corner from Memphis turned out to win a starting spot, Greg Rubin. The true FR WR from Alabama played really well, Roc Taylor. The RB from Little Rock started out gang-busters, but fumbled like a freshman does, Brandon (drawing a blank). We had at least 2 JC signees on the D-line and I think LB that played really well. I mean, every year we complain about speed on the D, and it might be true a lot of the time. Obviously speed at DB has been an issue in the past. Not being experienced and reacting instantly can certainly make the D seem slow. The Houston game certainly was frustrating. I remember one time that a Houston ball carrier did not fall forward when he was tackled. Are we slow, and small, and weak, all across the D? I can't hardly think so.
12-06-2021 07:56 PM
MvETigers Offline
Special Teams

(12-06-2021 07:56 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  “Our recruiting under Silverfield has been good except for . . . ”

This wouldn't be topic if Brady White had opted for another season, or "IF, IF" Grant Gunnell hadn't gotten injured and his little bit of experience had proven to have meant a lot.

I saw quite a few passes missed. I saw quite a few "locked onto a receiver". I saw quite a few forced passes. I'm not knocking Henigan, he was phenomenal, for a true freshman, but that true freshman-ism showed.

I thought the narrative going into this was that we had a great recruiting class. The true FR corner from Memphis turned out to win a starting spot, Greg Rubin. The true FR WR from Alabama played really well, Roc Taylor. The RB from Little Rock started out gang-busters, but fumbled like a freshman does, Brandon (drawing a blank). We had at least 2 JC signees on the D-line and I think LB that played really well. I mean, every year we complain about speed on the D, and it might be true a lot of the time. Obviously speed at DB has been an issue in the past. Not being experienced and reacting instantly can certainly make the D seem slow. The Houston game certainly was frustrating. I remember one time that a Houston ball carrier did not fall forward when he was tackled. Are we slow, and small, and weak, all across the D? I can't hardly think so.

And losing 48 players for at least a game didn't have anything to do with our struggles this season either.
Doesn't count the players that went down for a series or two.

Yeah, his recruiting is so bad that we played 28 true/redshirt freshman. We were still able to redshirt some of our better recruits.
12-07-2021 01:57 AM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(12-07-2021 01:57 AM)MvETigers Wrote:  
(12-06-2021 07:56 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  “Our recruiting under Silverfield has been good except for . . . ”

And losing 48 players for at least a game didn't have anything to do with our struggles this season either.
Doesn't count the players that went down for a series or two.

Yeah, his recruiting is so bad that we played 28 true/redshirt freshman. We were still able to redshirt some of our better recruits.

Yeah--I bet we were the only team in the nation that had injury's ---the teams that beat us must be thanking their lucky stars that they were all injury free when they played us
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021 02:22 AM by jsw3ent.)
12-07-2021 02:22 AM
tjwillis47 Offline
Special Teams

Defense improved...

it's a bit of a combination. Mac's philosophy is dont get beat deep...which outside of the ASU game once or twice (i think Rubin deflected a pass into the wr hand) and Miss State game they didnt give up anything deep...but they definitely gave up EVERYTHING underneath. allowing 3rd down conversions almost 50% of the time
12-07-2021 09:14 AM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I give most of last season’s defensive recruiting grade an “incomplete” at this time. There were several Recruits at all 3 levels of the defense rated high that I had hoped would get so run time with the 2nd unit this year but most appear to have been redshirted & a couple saw time on special teams.

I know our defense under McIntyre has started slow at the start of each season & progressed as it went on. Not sure if that is indicative of it being a little tough to learn & harder for 1st year guys to break through or not.

I would like to see them on the field before I draw my conclusions…….now if we get 3 years down the road & they still haven’t seen the field, I can draw a conclusion off of that too.
12-07-2021 09:27 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(12-07-2021 09:14 AM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

Defense improved...

it's a bit of a combination. Mac's philosophy is dont get beat deep...which outside of the ASU game once or twice (i think Rubin deflected a pass into the wr hand) and Miss State game they didnt give up anything deep...but they definitely gave up EVERYTHING underneath. allowing 3rd down conversions almost 50% of the time

I agree that is how he called the games...

And when I saw how fast some receivers ran by our DBs I assumed he called it that way because we were not capable of playing man.

I know our front seven was very slow...Slow QBs were getting out of the pocket and getting yards on us.
12-07-2021 09:32 AM
tjwillis47 Offline
Special Teams

(12-06-2021 06:15 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Defense improved...

I know our recruiting has been historically good under Silverfield , it is not showing in Offensive line , running backs, receivers, D-line or Defensive backs —. We need a lot of positions filled with better players

?? he's had 2 classes. all of his recruits are freshman, redshirt freshman or sophomores. what are you talking about? what kind of weird expectations do you have where freshmen and sophomores are 1st team all americans
12-07-2021 09:33 AM
Advertisement

gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
With Houston, Cincy and UCF leaving, Silverfield will look better soon.
12-07-2021 10:14 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-07-2021 09:33 AM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

Defense improved...

?? he's had 2 classes. all of his recruits are freshman, redshirt freshman or sophomores. what are you talking about? what kind of weird expectations do you have where freshmen and sophomores are 1st team all americans

Big difference between AA & the talent level of our D. And with consistent recruiting why are 1st yr guys playing so much anyway? Yep the D is setup to keep from getting beat deep, so we get beat over the middle & the receivers then run past the DBs. Catch 22, especially when we get little pressure on the QB (although that improved some the last 3-4 games).
12-07-2021 11:15 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation

Defense improved...

Eddie Leis will step into Calvin's role (assuming he doesn't leave).
He is just a small fraction slower than Austin.
12-07-2021 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjwillis47 Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2021 11:15 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(12-07-2021 09:33 AM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

Defense improved...

Big difference between AA & the talent level of our D. And with consistent recruiting why are 1st yr guys playing so much anyway? Yep the D is setup to keep from getting beat deep, so we get beat over the middle & the receivers then run past the DBs. Catch 22, especially when we get little pressure on the QB (although that improved some the last 3-4 games).

do we need to have the injury discussion again? A lot of silverfields guys have played.
offense featured thomas, Gambill, Likes, Mathieu, henigan, marcayll Jones, roc taylor, cam wright, austin myers, joe doyle, devontae dobbs, eddie lewis and peter parrish

on defense camron jackson, davian mayo (ST mostly), sylvonta oliver, mo white, cincir evans, andrew jones played 3-4 games then RS, greg rubin, zy brockington, bryce edmondson (ST mostly), and grant barnett
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021 02:57 PM by tjwillis47.)
12-07-2021 02:57 PM
tjwillis47 Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2021 02:35 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

Defense improved...

yep. WR has been a continual rotation of studs and Lewis seems like a dude who will step up for this team just like calvin did for coxie who stepped up after anthony miller
12-07-2021 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Keeper Offline
All American

FIRE MCINTYRE?
12-07-2021 03:27 PM
griffin Offline
All American

(12-07-2021 02:58 PM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

Defense improved...

yep. WR has been a continual rotation of studs and Lewis seems like a dude who will step up for this team just like calvin did for coxie who stepped up after anthony miller

coxie ran a 4.8 40...
12-07-2021 03:30 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

John's is very close with Seth and a lead on Tevin if he leaves it won't be because he was fired
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021 03:39 PM by MemphisFan95.)
12-07-2021 03:37 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-07-2021 03:30 PM)griffin Wrote:  
(12-07-2021 02:58 PM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  

Defense improved...

coxie ran a 4.8 40...

What does that have to do with anything?
12-07-2021 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.