Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Weird play against the Skins Monday night
Bookmark and Share
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Sort of OT, but it's football, just not college football.

So, Washington's kicker was injured last night and the team that used to be known as the Redskins scored a touchdown and elected to go for 2 because said kicker was injured. They fumbled the ball and Seattle returned it for 2 points.

What the hell were they calling that? I never heard them say. A safety?
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021 09:41 PM by Purple.)
11-30-2021 09:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
The kick was blocked I thought. The return play was a 2 point return because it happened during the extra point after a Washington TD.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
11-30-2021 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Purple Offline
Heisman

RE: Weird play against the Skins Monday night
(11-30-2021 09:43 PM)hburg Wrote:  The kick was blocked I thought. The return play was a 2 point return because it happened during the extra point after a Washington TD.

I have never heard of a "2-point return."

Suppose it had been a PAT kick and the ball was fumbled and returned to the opposite endzone. Would that be a 1-point return?
11-30-2021 10:16 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I was thinking they could be returned in college but not the NFL but apparently not... Maybe it's high school where you can't return them? Or maybe it was changed somewhere at some point but I could've sworn you could return an extra point for two at some level and not at another. Or maybe I'm just crazy lol

Regardless, definitely don't see it very often and pretty crazy when you do and especially when it's impactful. I saw this on Twitter from some App fan when Florida hired Napier this week:

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021 11:15 PM by KickItToScotty.)
11-30-2021 10:19 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

The XP was blocked and returned by Seattle for 2pts. The Washington kicker pulled a hamstring trying to chase down the returner so they had to go for it on 4th down a couple of times when in FG range and go for 2 after TDs. The 2pt return on failed XPs is a fairly recent rule change as the play used to be blown dead and was mentioned as such on the broadcast.

Believe it or not there is such a thing as a 1 point safety that can occur on XP attempts. It has happened a few times in college football. Basically the kick is blocked, the ball is recovered by the defense, carried into their own end zone, and then gets tackled. There are other theoretical ways it could happen, but practically impossible.
11-30-2021 11:12 PM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

(11-30-2021 10:16 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 09:43 PM)hburg Wrote:  The kick was blocked I thought. The return play was a 2 point return because it happened during the extra point after a Washington TD.

Suppose it had been a PAT kick and the ball was fumbled and returned to the opposite endzone. Would that be a 1-point return?

Nope a blocked PAT is 2 pts. Rarely happens but theres a rule for it
12-01-2021 07:02 AM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Arthur Moats did it against a team in 2008. I think it was Towson?
12-01-2021 08:40 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I thought they call that a "Rouge" but I may be mistaken
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021 08:45 AM by Deez Nuts.)
12-01-2021 08:45 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Rouge is a single point, and is pretty much just a Canadian football specialty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(football)
12-01-2021 08:55 AM
AllForDukes Offline
Special Teams

William and Mary blocked and returned 2 extra points against us a few years ago.
12-01-2021 09:04 AM
Dukester Offline

This has been around for a long time and have seen it happen a handful of times, although not in the NFL

Good place for this - Did you guys see the new OT rule that happened in the Ala - Aub game Saturday? I HATE IT. It made the outcome seem more gimmicky/random

On the third round of OT (if score is still even after first two rounds). They simple set the ball at the extra point line and each team has one shot at a 2pt conversion per round. It continues on in a one play sequence until there is a make and miss in the same round.
12-01-2021 09:07 AM
Advertisement

JMU08 Offline
1st String

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-point_conversion

TLDR;
Defensive two-point conversion - college has had it since 1988, NFL since 2015.

Conversion safety - Basically the offense retreats to its own endzone, or the ball gets batted out the back of the offense's endzone. This results in 1 point.
12-01-2021 09:13 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I also hate the new OT rules. It forces the game to devolve further and further from "real" football. First you start at the 25, then you start at the 25 and have to go for two if you score a TD, then you trade two point conversions. Supposedly it was done to reduce the number of plays in games to "support the student athletes" which is silly for a number of reasons:

1. This will only impact games that go into several OTs
2. If you want to reduce number of plays, then just eliminate OT and bring ties back!
12-01-2021 09:14 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

Ties are the worst imo. I'd rather decide games on a coinflip than have ties again.
12-01-2021 09:54 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

The Penn St./Illinois game earlier this year went NINE OTs. It was ridiculous. I never liked college football OT in the first place but this is garbage.

If they want to reduce plays caused by OT, just eliminate OT altogether and 'award' the win (kind of like shoot-out wins in the NHL) to the team who reached the final score first. The effect would be that the team that is behind can't just kick a FG to take it to OT. They'd have to go for it on 4th down to try and win outright. If a team is behind by 7 and scores a TD, they'd have to go for two.

It would change other in-game dynamics somewhat, in that if you are in a position to score a tying point earlier in 4th (or even late 3rd), do you tie it up hoping you can get the ball back and score later or do you take a riskier decision to try and get ahead?

I've always felt like the right way to do it is to play another full quarter (no sudden death). But the way the NFL does it is a decent compromise, except for allowing ties.
12-01-2021 09:58 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2021 07:02 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 10:16 PM)Purple Wrote:  

Nope a blocked PAT is 2 pts. Rarely happens but theres a rule for it

But, what do they call it? It has to have a name.
12-01-2021 10:15 AM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2021 09:13 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-point_conversion

TLDR;
Defensive two-point conversion - college has had it since 1988, NFL since 2015.

There you go, that's what I was looking for, the name of the play. It is weird to me that you can have a two-point conversion without a touchdown, but I guess they can make the rules any way they want.
12-01-2021 10:24 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
(12-01-2021 09:07 AM)Dukester Wrote:  This has been around for a long time and have seen it happen a handful of times, although not in the NFL

Good place for this - Did you guys see the new OT rule that happened in the Ala - Aub game Saturday? I HATE IT. It made the outcome seem more gimmicky/random

On the third round of OT (if score is still even after first two rounds). They simple set the ball at the extra point line and each team has one shot at a 2pt conversion per round. It continues on in a one play sequence until there is a make and miss in the same round.

Hate it so much. I was ok with the changes they made to start from the 25 and each team gets a possession. While it takes away some of the aspects of football, it's still football. The change to make the 3rd OT just start from the extra point spot is just too much.

To me, it's too close to soccer shootouts, the absolute worst OT although its exciting. Soccer shootouts are like deciding a basketball game with a slam dunk competition.
12-01-2021 10:55 AM
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
(12-01-2021 09:58 AM)DooX Wrote:  The Penn St./Illinois game earlier this year went NINE OTs. It was ridiculous. I never liked college football OT in the first place but this is garbage.

If they want to reduce plays caused by OT, just eliminate OT altogether and 'award' the win (kind of like shoot-out wins in the NHL) to the team who reached the final score first. The effect would be that the team that is behind can't just kick a FG to take it to OT. They'd have to go for it on 4th down to try and win outright. If a team is behind by 7 and scores a TD, they'd have to go for two.

It would change other in-game dynamics somewhat, in that if you are in a position to score a tying point earlier in 4th (or even late 3rd), do you tie it up hoping you can get the ball back and score later or do you take a riskier decision to try and get ahead?

I've always felt like the right way to do it is to play another full quarter (no sudden death). But the way the NFL does it is a decent compromise, except for allowing ties.

not a bad idea, but seems like it would change the game too much. what if team receives 1st half kick, scores a td. other team scores a td in the 1st half to tie. 7-7 going into the 4th, i dont think fans would be pleased that the 2nd scoring team is actually losing.

how about after 3 ots, have them start at the 10 with 4 downs, vs. the 25?
12-01-2021 11:24 AM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(11-30-2021 10:19 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I was thinking they could be returned in college but not the NFL but apparently not... Maybe it's high school where you can't return them? Or maybe it was changed somewhere at some point but I could've sworn you could return an extra point for two at some level and not at another. Or maybe I'm just crazy lol

Regardless, definitely don't see it very often and pretty crazy when you do and especially when it's impactful. I saw this on Twitter from some App fan when Florida hired Napier this week:

I'm not sure, but I think the 2-point return in the NFL was legalized the same time that the 2-point XP did. Seems fair.
12-01-2021 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.