Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cry me a river...
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Cry me a river...
This is for all the Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and any other P5 fans that lose a coach this time of year.

Those of us in the G5 have dealt with this forever and we're told just to accept it since we're not that important. It's fun to see fans of those same programs having to deal with a coach leaving right before conference championship games, NSD, and the CFP.

The blue bloods and their greed created this mess, but now they're finally on the raw end of the deal. Welcome to the party boys.
11-30-2021 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: Cry me a river...
I love it. The coaching carousel is damn near as entertaining as the games themselves.
11-30-2021 10:05 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I like watching CFP get turned up on its head like this. Agree. They can drown in their tears for all I care, just keep entertaining me
11-30-2021 10:10 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
yep
11-30-2021 10:20 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I am not upset nor am I crying.

College football is a business and all coaches are mercenaries.

Goodbye Brian Kelly, thanks for 12 years. See ya. Next man up.

I just hope ND makes a good hire. No tears here.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021 12:59 PM by TerryD.)
11-30-2021 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Funny enough, Carolina’s head coach is also the last head coach that left us for a bigger job.

Those are different kind of tears, my friends.
11-30-2021 01:21 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
I do not care BK left. You have not and will not see me complain about it. I never cared for him so for me this has been 12 years in the making. Bye
11-30-2021 01:26 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-30-2021 01:26 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I do not care BK left. You have not and will not see me complain about it. I never cared for him so for me this has been 12 years in the making. Bye

Why didn't you care for him?
11-30-2021 01:30 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(11-30-2021 01:30 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 01:26 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I do not care BK left. You have not and will not see me complain about it. I never cared for him so for me this has been 12 years in the making. Bye

1. First champ game against Bama he was flirting with the Eagles that week
2. Declan Sullivan
3. Get used to it
4. Throwing players under the bus a lot.
5. There is a lot more but I am busy. That is a start.
11-30-2021 01:40 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Many fans are happy or glad to see their coaches go.
Yes, even if they were winning.
11-30-2021 01:46 PM
Advertisement

rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
Call it rock and roll.
11-30-2021 09:38 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-30-2021 01:40 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 01:30 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

1. First champ game against Bama he was flirting with the Eagles that week
2. Declan Sullivan
3. Get used to it
4. Throwing players under the bus a lot.
5. There is a lot more but I am busy. That is a start.

Would you have fired him for the Declan Sullivan reckless behavior?
12-01-2021 07:48 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(11-30-2021 01:46 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  Many fans are happy or glad to see their coaches go.

Right. The ACC board has had multiple ND fans wishing Kelly away over the years even while they’re making playoff runs.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021 08:53 AM by esayem.)
12-01-2021 08:53 AM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(12-01-2021 08:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 01:46 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  Many fans are happy or glad to see their coaches go.

Right. The ACC board has had multiple ND fans wishing Kelly away over the years even while they’re making playoff runs.

Yeah, over in the Big Ten, hasn’t this followed Ferentz over in Iowa seemingly forever? No playoffs as much as despising a guy who has produced more for that program consistently ever.

You’ve been seeing this in Michigan up until this year. You’ll see it for sure if Harbaugh stumbles in the CCG and falls out of the playoff field. He got a huge monkey off his back this season, but it’ll be back very soon. Of course, don’t look at his record…it’s great. But, it’s that it’s not what has happened for the team that has the guy in potentially hot water.
12-01-2021 11:28 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

(12-01-2021 11:28 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

Yeah, over in the Big Ten, hasn’t this followed Ferentz over in Iowa seemingly forever? No playoffs as much as despising a guy who has produced more for that program consistently ever.

You’ve been seeing this in Michigan up until this year. You’ll see it for sure if Harbaugh stumbles in the CCG and falls out of the playoff field. He got a huge monkey off his back this season, but it’ll be back very soon. Of course, don’t look at his record…it’s great. But, it’s that it’s not what has happened for the team that has the guy in potentially hot water.

Harbaugh is kind of Michigan's John Cooper.
12-01-2021 12:58 PM
VolCajun Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tennessee and Louisiana
(12-01-2021 11:28 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

The Michigan job is a weird job anyway. They haven't been what they think of themselves in 70-80 years (and it was probably mostly good marketing then as well).

Michigan and a handful of other schools continue to claim "national championships" from the days when college football schedules were filled with opponents that were club teams without coaches or alumni teams (again - often without coaches) and occasionally by high school teams. Sometimes they played a team multiple times in their 8-9 game schedule.

The local university team would rack up huge point totals against unorganized opponents, run through their "national schedule", be undefeated against that schedule and the local paper would declare them "national champions" when they often never played an opponent more than a few hours drive from their own campus. The lack of much more than a "state championship" schedule really was no one's fault - transportation wasn't what it is today. But continuing to claim national championships based on pre-TV polling and pre-airplane/national schedules is just disingenuous.

A national polling system didn't really appear until much later - and even then, select local newspaper football writers were given votes but had often never seen anyone else play - so they cast their vote for the local team (and it helped sell papers if the local team was ranked so the local writer had no incentive to consider voting for other schools). In many years we had multiple undefeated schools across the country all with equally weak claims to "national championships". A few of the ones with fragile egos continue to claim that they "won" "national championships" in that era - Michigan is one of them (claiming national titles in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904 - and then in 1918, 1923, 1932 1933).

NOTE: all but 1 of the national championship claims prior to 1900 were "won" by members of the Ivy League (Lafayette the lone exception - unless you consider Rutgers as a co-champion in the first year of college football).

When you get into the era of national television and conferences that required play against other coached college teams - most of that "tradition" fades into the reality of "it's harder to win all the time on a level playing field". Ignoring the pre-television era of "polling", Michigan probably has earned (and I know that's a loaded term) 3 national championships: 1947, 1948 and the other in 1997. None involved a playoff but at least the voters had seen other teams play.

Fortunately, they play a lot of the other schools with bloated football egos based on pre-national TV coverage: Minnesota (claiming 7 national titles in football- one since the end of WWII), Notre Dame (claiming 11 national title - but at least only 3 were prior to WWII - 1 during WWII), Illinois (claiming 5 national titles - but only one since the Great Depression). Wisconsin has 3 national title claims - but none since 1942. Only 2 of Iowa's 5 national title claims are from the Pre-WWII era, so that isn't as bad as most of the Big 10 history inflation.

Although they don't play Michigan that often, Pitt is another schools whose national title claims are mostly pre-historic (claiming 9 national championships - only one since WWII).

Refreshingly - Ohio State and Penn State (who claim 8 and 2 national titles respectively) claim no national titles prior to WWII (1 for Ohio State during WWII), so that's considerably more legit. Nebraska and Michigan State don't claim any before WWII. Notice that 3 of the 4 schools mentioned here as having more legit national title claims (Penn State, Michigan State, and Nebraska) didn't join the Big 10 before WWII.

Anyway - it's hard to take a job at a school like Michigan and live up to the "history" such as it is (or as people claim that is was). Michigan has had a lot of winning teams/seasons but their history isn't as studded with national significance as their fanbase wants to claim. That fiction makes it hard for a coach to live up to a program's history - because the history is largely "imaginary". A lot of coaches at Michigan suffer from not living up to the standard of Bo Schembechler in the eyes of the Wolverine faithful - but most Michigan's fans probably don't realize that he never won a national championship (and had a lackluster bowl record as well). It's just not how they remember it.
12-01-2021 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.