Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

0 for independence
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
0 for independence
Barring a miracle against Houston today, UConn, UMass and New Mexico State have set a bar that can't be topped. Those three will finish the season with a combined record of 0-26 against FBS teams (except each other) and 2-3 against the FCS. That is futility on an epic scale. By comparison, FCS teams finished the year with a 12-105 record against FBS opponents.

They say hope springs eternal, and for NMSU the chance to play against FCS-like competition in the new C-USA in the future gives them reason for optimism. But for UConn and UMass it would seem that their solace might be that they can't get any worse.

I guess staying in FBS gives them more exposure than dropping down in class or dropping the sport altogether. But is that really the kind of exposure you want?
11-27-2021 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
RE: 0 for independence
if dana shows up drunk UCONN will have a chance
11-27-2021 11:33 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
I mean, Army and Liberty are both sitting on 7 wins with more to play and BYU/Notre Dame are each ranked in the top 15. Independence is, as always, a mixed bag.
11-27-2021 12:53 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
(11-27-2021 11:28 AM)ken d Wrote:  Barring a miracle against Houston today, UConn, UMass and New Mexico State have set a bar that can't be topped. Those three will finish the season with a combined record of 0-26 against FBS teams (except each other) and 2-3 against the FCS. That is futility on an epic scale. By comparison, FCS teams finished the year with a 12-105 record against FBS opponents.

They say hope springs eternal, and for NMSU the chance to play against FCS-like competition in the new C-USA in the future gives them reason for optimism. But for UConn and UMass it would seem that their solace might be that they can't get any worse.

I guess staying in FBS gives them more exposure than dropping down in class or dropping the sport altogether. But is that really the kind of exposure you want?

Ask Idaho fans if they prefer the exposure now or the exposure they had 5 years ago. Being a horrible FBS team still means more exposure than being an average FCS team. Between those two options, the FBS one is more desirable.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2021 01:18 PM by Yosef181.)
11-27-2021 01:17 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(11-27-2021 12:53 PM)Bogg Wrote:  I mean, Army and Liberty are both sitting on 7 wins with more to play and BYU/Notre Dame are each ranked in the top 15. Independence is, as always, a mixed bag.

After the performances against FSU and Ohio, ND should be nowhere near the Top 15.
11-27-2021 01:46 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-27-2021 01:46 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 12:53 PM)Bogg Wrote:  I mean, Army and Liberty are both sitting on 7 wins with more to play and BYU/Notre Dame are each ranked in the top 15. Independence is, as always, a mixed bag.

After the performances against FSU and Ohio, ND should be nowhere near the Top 15.

It was Toledo, not Ohio. If you are going to rant, at least get the teams straight.

You must not think that a team that lost 14 players to the NFL, including its starting QB and four starting offensive linemen, in a transition year breaking in a grad transfer QB and a true freshman QB, can improve over its first two games of the season.

Do you impose the same standard upon all teams, or just ND?

Do only the first two games of a season count? Where is that in the rule book?

ND has won six games in a row, five of them very comfortably and is now 10-1, hopefully 11-1 after tonight.

(It has lost only one game all season, that to a team ranked #4 by the Playoff Committee)

That you would think a 10-1 ND "should be nowhere near the Top 15" says a whole lot more about you than it does about ND.
11-27-2021 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
If New Mexico State defeats UMass, that would arguably make UConn the worst FBS team this year. New Mexico State (2-10) > UMass (1-11) > UConn (1-11),

Maybe Florida International (1-10) would be worse than UConn if they don't win today; their only win was against Long Island.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2021 03:47 PM by rtist.)
11-27-2021 03:04 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(11-27-2021 01:17 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Ask Idaho fans if they prefer the exposure now or the exposure they had 5 years ago. Being a horrible FBS team still means more exposure than being an average FCS team. Between those two options, the FBS one is more desirable.

If a Vandal beats Portland State somewhere near a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
11-27-2021 03:07 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2021 03:07 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 01:17 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Ask Idaho fans if they prefer the exposure now or the exposure they had 5 years ago. Being a horrible FBS team still means more exposure than being an average FCS team. Between those two options, the FBS one is more desirable.

If a Vandal beats Portland State somewhere near a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I still follow the Big Sky Conference, so yes.
11-27-2021 03:28 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
UConn falls to Houston. 45-17 the final.

The Jim Mora Era in Storrs begins tomorrow.
11-27-2021 03:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-27-2021 11:28 AM)ken d Wrote:  Barring a miracle against Houston today, UConn, UMass and New Mexico State have set a bar that can't be topped. Those three will finish the season with a combined record of 0-26 against FBS teams (except each other) and 2-3 against the FCS. That is futility on an epic scale. By comparison, FCS teams finished the year with a 12-105 record against FBS opponents.

For whatever reason, this board has a ton of guys that are infatuated with football independence. Maybe it’s because they went to college in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. It only works for Notre Dame because they are a national program and has some unique characteristics. It does not work for others— recruits want to play for conference championships, all-conference awards, etc. They want that bowl tie-in to play for (even if it is a lower bowl). They want conference foes they look forward to.
11-27-2021 04:50 PM
Advertisement

rtist Offline
2nd String

Only three kinds of schools can make football independence work:

1) Notre Dame: for obvious reasons
2) Military Academies: for their history and tradition
3) Religious Universities: For their resources and backing

If you are not one of these three kinds of schools, then you should do your best to find a league to join.
11-27-2021 05:18 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-27-2021 05:18 PM)rtist Wrote:  Only three kinds of schools can make football independence work:

If you are not one of these three kinds of schools, then you should do your best to find a league to join.

I am not even sure about #3. BYU and Liberty are joining conferences because they knew they had a glass ceiling as an Indy.
11-27-2021 05:20 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(11-27-2021 03:01 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 01:46 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

It was Toledo, not Ohio. If you are going to rant, at least get the teams straight.

You must not think that a team that lost 14 players to the NFL, including its starting QB and four starting offensive linemen, in a transition year breaking in a grad transfer QB and a true freshman QB, can improve over its first two games of the season.

Do you impose the same standard upon all teams, or just ND?

Do only the first two games of a season count? Where is that in the rule book?

ND has won six games in a row, five of them very comfortably and is now 10-1, hopefully 11-1 after tonight.

(It has lost only one game all season, that to a team ranked #4 by the Playoff Committee)

That you would think a 10-1 ND "should be nowhere near the Top 15" says a whole lot more about you than it does about ND.

TerryD well said, I would have to agree with you. And I detest Notre Dame, I would like them to never win another game and descend into such irrelevance that no conference would even have them. But when you're right, you're right!

(11-27-2021 03:28 PM)rtist Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 03:07 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  

I still follow the Big Sky Conference, so yes.

With all the upheaval of conference realignment this year, is Idaho looking at a return to FBS?
11-27-2021 07:29 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(11-27-2021 05:18 PM)rtist Wrote:  Only three kinds of schools can make football independence work:

#3 Worked so well for BYU and Liberty.
11-27-2021 07:53 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(11-27-2021 07:29 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  With all the upheaval of conference realignment this year, is Idaho looking at a return to FBS?

Wish I could say yes, but I really doubt it. We're a mess at the moment. The school hired an excellent president to replace Staben and the university as a whole is in much better shape, but that hasn't yet trickled down to the athletic department.
11-27-2021 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Don Brown starts next week at UMass.
The salary pool was increased by 25% from 1.5M to 2M.
There have been two previous fund raisers this year, plus a new one with Don Brown's hire.
The combine goal is 1 Million and currently at $854,710 with a Dec 15th end date.

It's risky to hope this, but hope CUSA presidents rejects UMass bid as football only. Don't like football only as it is not permanent. Then hope UMass will seek an all sports bid for the MAC with WKU.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2021 08:43 PM by Steve1981.)
11-27-2021 08:42 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2021 08:39 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(11-27-2021 07:29 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  With all the upheaval of conference realignment this year, is Idaho looking at a return to FBS?

Wish I could say yes, but I really doubt it. We're a mess at the moment. The school hired an excellent president to replace Staben and the university as a whole is in much better shape, but that hasn't yet trickled down to the athletic department.

Basically, this.

I follow Idaho closely because it is my brother's alma mater; we used to poke and prod one another over the New Mexico State/Idaho games our schools used to play.

Barring drastic improvement, investment, and more conference realignment at the FBS level, I think Idaho is stuck in the Big Sky for the time being.
11-27-2021 09:08 PM
Erictelevision Online
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Would BSU block them jumping?
11-27-2021 09:10 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-27-2021 01:17 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  

Ask Idaho fans if they prefer the exposure now or the exposure they had 5 years ago. Being a horrible FBS team still means more exposure than being an average FCS team. Between those two options, the FBS one is more desirable.

If the exposure you are getting just reminds people how much you suck, is that a good thing?
11-27-2021 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.