Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jerry Kill likely new head coach at New Mexico State
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Jerry Kill likely new head coach at New Mexico State
Per FootballScoop, Jerry Kill appears to be the next head coach at New Mexico State. While that used to arguably be the worst job in FBS, NMSU's addition to CUSA gives them new life. Good for him, I hope his health allows him to do it.

https://footballscoop.com/news/jerry-kil...ordinators

NIU @ NMSU in 2024 by the way.....
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2021 11:37 PM by NIU1981.)
11-26-2021 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Jerry Kill likely new head coach at New Mexico State
(11-26-2021 11:35 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Per FootballScoop, Jerry Kill appears to be the next head coach at New Mexico State. While that used to arguably be the worst job in FBS, NMSU's addition to CUSA gives them new life. Good for him, I hope his health allows him to do it.

That is interesting, that program needs a complete rebuild which involves alot of blood, sweat, toils and tears. I guess Coach Kill would not have taken the job if his health was in question.

And NMSU has a return date in DeKalb in 2027.
11-27-2021 02:30 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(11-26-2021 11:35 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Per FootballScoop, Jerry Kill appears to be the next head coach at New Mexico State. While that used to arguably be the worst job in FBS, NMSU's addition to CUSA gives them new life. Good for him, I hope his health allows him to do it.

They hired a Great coach.
11-27-2021 04:33 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
https://footballscoop.com/news/jerry-kil...sota-coach

Jerry Kill is hiring Eric Klein to be his strength coach. I always thought Klein was exceptionally good in that role.

Ed: Just noticed Kill hired Melvin Rice too.

Side note: I emailed Klein when he was the strength coach here, asking him for advice on how my son could safely gain weight for athletics. He was kind enough to send me a really detailed response, which I have never forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 02:21 PM by NIU1981.)
01-31-2022 02:00 PM
Ka-Ching! Guy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
01-31-2022 06:56 PM
Rawdog10 Offline
Bench Warmer

Kill is awesome, and I hope it works out for him. I’m legitimately worried about his health though. It was scary for awhile. I can’t believe he would take on such a heavy lift, but maybe he has found a way to manage.
02-01-2022 12:10 AM
Advertisement

MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
He is the best, wish him well…
02-01-2022 12:15 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(02-01-2022 12:10 AM)Rawdog10 Wrote:  Kill is awesome, and I hope it works out for him. I’m legitimately worried about his health though. It was scary for awhile. I can’t believe he would take on such a heavy lift, but maybe he has found a way to manage.

There will be less pressure at NMSU than at Minnesota, so hopefully that will help.
02-01-2022 01:53 AM
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I always liked Kill. He took NIU forward from where it was when he took over. He was in the string of coaches that propelled us into a top G5 program.
02-01-2022 08:56 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(02-01-2022 08:56 AM)Splooie99 Wrote:  I always liked Kill. He took NIU forward from where it was when he took over. He was in the string of coaches that propelled us into a top G5 program.

Good point. It seemed like Coach Novak laid the foundation for the program with a vision and style of football. Coach Kill & Coach Doreen did not stray off the path of that vision and style and took the program to the next level by the time they left.

Coach Ham got us back on the path.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2022 09:05 AM by Schaefer Beer.)
02-01-2022 09:04 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(11-27-2021 04:33 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  

They hired a Great coach.

Right? Just ask him.
02-01-2022 04:59 PM
Advertisement

HW58 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, Cubs
I don't get the love fest for Jerry Kill. I don't dislike him, per se, but c'mon. 2008 NIU went 6-7 losing its bowl game to La Tech 17-10. 2009 Huskies went 7-6 getting thumped by SFU 27-3. That game was butt ugly. 2010 went 10-3 while Kill was still at the helm and lost one of the most painful MACCs ever, then he skipped town before coaching the bowl game. As I recall, that went over like a lead balloon with the players and fans. Yet every time the guy's mentioned on this board, let the fawning begin. His NIU legacy is overrated.
02-01-2022 05:37 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(02-01-2022 05:37 PM)HW58 Wrote:  I don't get the love fest for Jerry Kill. I don't dislike him, per se, but c'mon. 2008 NIU went 6-7 losing its bowl game to La Tech 17-10. 2009 Huskies went 7-6 getting thumped by SFU 27-3. That game was butt ugly. 2010 went 10-3 while Kill was still at the helm and lost one of the most painful MACCs ever, then he skipped town before coaching the bowl game. As I recall, that went over like a lead balloon with the players and fans. Yet every time the guy's mentioned on this board, let the fawning begin. His NIU legacy is overrated.

Lol. He also hates PJ Fleck's guts. And let's not forget, he started DeMarcus Grady over Chandler the Mandler Harnish.
02-01-2022 05:56 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(02-01-2022 05:37 PM)HW58 Wrote:  I don't get the love fest for Jerry Kill. I don't dislike him, per se, but c'mon. 2008 NIU went 6-7 losing its bowl game to La Tech 17-10. 2009 Huskies went 7-6 getting thumped by SFU 27-3. That game was butt ugly. 2010 went 10-3 while Kill was still at the helm and lost one of the most painful MACCs ever, then he skipped town before coaching the bowl game. As I recall, that went over like a lead balloon with the players and fans. Yet every time the guy's mentioned on this board, let the fawning begin. His NIU legacy is overrated.

I agree. Let’s not forget Me’co brown over spann. Kill wasn’t “great”. We can debate what level under great he was. But anyone calling him great is ignoring most of his time here.
02-01-2022 06:05 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(02-01-2022 06:05 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  

I agree. Let’s not forget Me’co brown over spann. Kill wasn’t “great”. We can debate what level under great he was. But anyone calling him great is ignoring most of his time here.

Omg. Woof. Didn't that cut into Justin Anderson's time too? He was a 1000 yd guy, then he fell off into the abyss.
02-01-2022 06:11 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(02-01-2022 06:11 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(02-01-2022 06:05 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  

Omg. Woof. Didn't that cut into Justin Anderson's time too? He was a 1000 yd guy, then he fell off into the abyss.

Just confirmed. He did indeed lose carries to Meco Brown, and this was in Kill's first year. At least Hammock gave Tre Harbison a go, before he bounced.
02-01-2022 06:13 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I do appreciate that Kill brought over a varied and more dynamic offense.

Under Novak, we just played old school Big 10 football of running the ball behind a good offensive line. Unfortunately, that didn't work as well in the spread offense MAC with lots of good passers. Our QBs weren't much of threats and we couldn't score enough points to keep up.

Once we started running the read-option offense we became more dynamic on offense and scored so many more points.

For example:

2003 (Novak's best season) we scored 386 points in 12 games. Average of 32 ppg.
2010 (Kill's best season) we scored 532 points in 14 games. Average of 38 ppg.
02-01-2022 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HW58 Offline
2nd String

Ah, Justin Anderson. That name brings back happy memories. Didn't he rush for the first down on the fake punt deep in our own territory during the Purdue upset in Kill's second year? Gutsy call! To Kill's credit he also knocked off Minnesota in 2010, although neither Purdue nor Minnesota were much to talk about in those years. Plus...for those of you who hate the Illini (and I think that's most people on this board), he lost to the "Illness" in 2010.

Anyway, Kill had his moments and he helped the program rebound from that last rough year under Coach Novak, but he wasn't great by any stretch.
02-01-2022 07:04 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(02-01-2022 07:04 PM)HW58 Wrote:  Ah, Justin Anderson. That name brings back happy memories. Didn't he rush for the first down on the fake punt deep in our own territory during the Purdue upset in Kill's second year? Gutsy call! To Kill's credit he also knocked off Minnesota in 2010, although neither Purdue nor Minnesota were much to talk about in those years. Plus...for those of you who hate the Illini (and I think that's most people on this board), he lost to the "Illness" in 2010.

Anyway, Kill had his moments and he helped the program rebound from that last rough year under Coach Novak, but he wasn't great by any stretch.

I remember winning, but not much else. I did see Meco Brown exploded for 150 yds that game. Cspann chipped in 2 tds.

Also, I remember being at that Illinois game. So close to winning. Nathan Scheelhausse was their QB.
02-01-2022 07:26 PM
HW58 Offline
2nd String

Good memory, Hawaii. Nathan Scheelhausse--couldn't have come up with that name in a million years. I was at the Illinois game, too. My son was going to school there. I always wore my Illinois gear when I went to a game down there with him...except that game. Told him, "Kid, I'm all Huskies today." He just said, "I get it, Dad." I was in all red and black sitting in the thick of Illini nation. Took him to NIU games growing up. He still roots for the Huskies. Good memories! Freaking Illinois...we should be playing them every 2-3 years. (Sorry, not trying to derail the thread!)
02-01-2022 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.