Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why didn’t the ACC get anything out of ND for joining the conference in 2020 for FB?
Bluedevil16 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
Why didn’t the ACC get anything out of ND for joining the conference in 2020 for FB?
By allowing them to play an ACC schedule and make the playoffs, they could have tried to get a few extra non conference games or something. But Swof & company got nothing from ND.
11-21-2021 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: Why didn’t the ACC get anything out of ND for joining the conference in 2020 for FB?
A full season of Notre Dame games (10 including the ACC Championship Game) vs. the usual 5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...notre-dame

"All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame's home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions."

I agree the ACC should have gotten more out of Notre Dame. I would say Notre Dame should give their TV rights to the ACC even if they don't want to join the conference full time. Or if Notre Dame wants to continue their NBC deal they have to share their money with the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2021 07:10 PM by schmolik.)
11-21-2021 02:42 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Why didn’t the ACC get anything out of ND for joining the conference in 2020 for FB?
Not every crisis situation should be considered an opportunity for extortion.
11-21-2021 03:50 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-21-2021 02:42 PM)schmolik Wrote:  A full season of Notre Dame games (10 including the ACC Championship Game) vs. the usual 5.

I believe Notre Dame and the ACC split the money for the Notre Dame NBC games instead of Notre Dame keeping all of it by itself. On the other hand, Notre Dame got a cut out of the games in the ACC package. I forget the actual details.

I agree the ACC should have gotten more out of Notre Dame. I would say Notre Dame should give their TV rights to the ACC even if they don't want to join the conference full time. Or if Notre Dame wants to continue their NBC deal they have to share their money with the ACC.

It was conjectured that ND actually made more TV money in 2020 by putting the NBC money in the pot, with it getting a share of the ACC/ESPN football TV money as well.

I think that ND supposedly made about $2 million more in TV money as a full ACC member.

(Remember, though, that the ND deal will renew in 2025, not 2036)

As far as your proposal, you should email Jim Phillips and tell him to propose that in 2036 when the ND/ACC contracts end. Good luck.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2021 04:16 PM by TerryD.)
11-21-2021 04:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(11-21-2021 04:12 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 02:42 PM)schmolik Wrote:  A full season of Notre Dame games (10 including the ACC Championship Game) vs. the usual 5.

I believe Notre Dame and the ACC split the money for the Notre Dame NBC games instead of Notre Dame keeping all of it by itself. On the other hand, Notre Dame got a cut out of the games in the ACC package. I forget the actual details.

It was conjectured that ND actually made more TV money in 2020 by putting the NBC money in the pot, with it getting a share of the ACC/ESPN football TV money as well.

I think that ND supposedly made about $2 million more in TV money as a full ACC member.

(Remember, though, that the ND deal will renew in 2025, not 2036)

As far as your proposal, you should email Jim Phillips and tell him to propose that in 2036 when the ND/ACC contracts end. Good luck.

[Image: good-luck-with-that-may-the-odds-be-ever...-favor.gif]
04-cheers
11-21-2021 04:20 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(11-21-2021 02:31 PM)Bluedevil16 Wrote:  By allowing them to play an ACC schedule and make the playoffs, they could have tried to get a few extra non conference games or something. But Swof & company got nothing from ND.

Duke opinions regarding football are not really wanted. Opine all you want about other sports. 04-cheers
11-21-2021 08:37 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(11-21-2021 03:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  Not every crisis situation should be considered an opportunity for extortion.

Exactly. Notre Dame has their deal. They bring great sports to the Olympic side of the conference. Could care less about their football team.
11-21-2021 10:17 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

schmolik opinions are neither wanted nor sensical.
11-21-2021 10:18 PM
Bluedevil16 Offline
2nd String

(11-21-2021 10:17 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 03:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  Not every crisis situation should be considered an opportunity for extortion.

Exactly. Notre Dame has their deal. They bring great sports to the Olympic side of the conference. Could care less about their football team.

Let them go to the Big East and get WVU and Cincy full time
11-21-2021 11:22 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(11-21-2021 11:22 PM)Bluedevil16 Wrote:  

This is exactly what I would do if I’m the commissioner of the ACC. I would offer them one last time, and as soon as they say thanks but no thanks I would say thank you for participating but your services are no longer welcomed.

No division play or play within pods which ever works.

Pods could be : 1) BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU 2) Louisville, Cincy, VT, Virginia 3) Duke, UNC, Wake, NCST 4) Clemson, GT, Miami, FSU
11-22-2021 12:09 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I have not seen anywhere how that is going to be anything other than more mouths to feed. Notre Dame’s 5-game commitment is worth more than those two full-time, so no thanks.

If Louisville fans want to be with Cincinnati so bad then swap with West Virginia. I’d be okay with that.
11-22-2021 08:01 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2021 08:01 AM)esayem Wrote:  

I have not seen anywhere how that is going to be anything other than more mouths to feed. Notre Dame’s 5-game commitment is worth more than those two full-time, so no thanks.

If Louisville fans want to be with Cincinnati so bad then swap with West Virginia. I’d be okay with that.

Plus the completely negative impact of signing a number of contracts with ND, then unilaterally breaching them and being liable for damages in court for little benefit and for no legitimate legal basis or factual reasons.

Its a dumb idea, one only found on message boards, not board rooms.
11-22-2021 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
There seems to be a recurring theme in these posts: an inherent assumption that "Notre Dame will join the ACC for football once it gets sufficiently good terms". This understanding is simply incorrect. A more accurate position would be "Notre Dame will remain independent unless doing so becomes insufferable".
11-22-2021 11:48 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville

I don’t give a **** about Cincinnati they stay where they are for all I care, but they are the best option within the footprint of the conference. My overall selection would be to go all in for Tennessee they fit the footprint, but never going to pull a charter member out of the SEC. So when ever someone mentions Cincinnati don’t just say it’s because Louisville fans want them that just you trying to pitch us in a bad light. I guess you want UConn in the conference for I’m sure other schools would appreciate that pick.
11-23-2021 07:46 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(11-23-2021 07:46 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  

I don’t give a **** about Cincinnati they stay where they are for all I care, but they are the best option within the footprint of the conference. My overall selection would be to go all in for Tennessee they fit the footprint, but never going to pull a charter member out of the SEC. So when ever someone mentions Cincinnati don’t just say it’s because Louisville fans want them that just you trying to pitch us in a bad light. I guess you want UConn in the conference for I’m sure other schools would appreciate that pick.

Frankly the last round of expansion was a waste of time save Notre Dame. Could have stuck at 12 and replaced Maryland with Syracuse.

More mouths = less pie. Hard NO for expansion over here.
11-23-2021 07:53 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(11-23-2021 07:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(11-23-2021 07:46 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 10:17 PM)esayem Wrote:  Exactly. Notre Dame has their deal. They bring great sports to the Olympic side of the conference. Could care less about their football team.

Frankly the last round of expansion was a waste of time save Notre Dame. Could have stuck at 12 and replaced Maryland with Syracuse.

More mouths = less pie. Hard NO for expansion over here.

The additions of Pitt and Syracuse doubled the media rights money for the conference. So you could say that at the time, Pitt and Syracuse were as valuable as the entire ACC. In reality, the ACC was woefully underpaid and the expansion allowed ESPN to bring the contract closer to the true market value.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 12:02 AM by Shannon Panther.)
11-23-2021 11:46 AM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
Has this topic gone off the rails? The OP doesn't question the value ND brings to the ACC under its current agreement, but is asking why the ACC didn't get extra consideration from ND by allowing the Irish to play as a football member in 2020.
11-23-2021 04:22 PM
Bluedevil16 Offline
2nd String

(11-23-2021 04:22 PM)colohank Wrote:  Has this topic gone off the rails? The OP doesn't question the value ND brings to the ACC under its current agreement, but is asking why the ACC didn't get extra consideration from ND by allowing the Irish to play as a football member in 2020.

Adding Notre Dame increased annual payout by nearly nothing for the ACC. $1-2M a school is ash tray money. Notre Dame wouldn’t have been able to play football last season if they weren’t playing a full ACC schedule.
11-23-2021 05:33 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(11-23-2021 04:22 PM)colohank Wrote:  Has this topic gone off the rails? The OP doesn't question the value ND brings to the ACC under its current agreement, but is asking why the ACC didn't get extra consideration from ND by allowing the Irish to play as a football member in 2020.

The original poster is a self-described Duke fan. As such his opinion about football matters are not worth the effort he used to type his query. Since the question was dumb, the topic migrated off the original topic. Learning to recognize a Duke troll is important for life in the ACC. 05-nono

This is one of his first posts:

Bluedevil16 Online
Water Engineer

ACC could always look towards UConn as well
10-24-2021 12:45 PM
Send this user an email Send this user a private message Find all posts by this user Give Reputation to this user
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2021 05:42 PM by Statefan.)
11-23-2021 05:36 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

ND would have said no and cobbled together a schedule in 2020.

It would not have caved into any long term concessions for a one year safe harbor.
11-23-2021 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.