And let the search begin

11-21-2021 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
RE: Abilene Christian Head Football Coaching Search
Most of us are not surprised. Except for some parents who objected to us having discussions of a new coach, most of us saw the writing on the wall. I don't think any of us are happy that Dorrel got fired. What we realized is that he had a tremendous career at an already successful D2 program, but couldn't replicate it on the D1 at ACU. Most of us ACU alumni recognize the unique challenges. We still expect success on the football field. Part of that challenge is getting a quality coach and recruiter here at what we can pay him. Unless we had a donor really step up, any candidate will have to really want to be here for something more than money. Dorrel was a good guy. He had lots of players that were devoted to him. Still, he struggled with game management, making adjustments, and getting the recruits that would elevate our play.
11-21-2021 11:18 AM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
Y'all can hire Doug Martin! He will be looking for a job after this Saturday.
11-21-2021 11:41 AM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(11-21-2021 11:41 AM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  Y'all can hire Doug Martin! He will be looking for a job after this Saturday.

He has a bowl win!
11-21-2021 12:26 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

I think a lot of people will prefer a person with both ACU and Texas ties. My question is if we, regardless, are we going to invest in what it will take to get the right coach and the right players. We have invested heavily in facilities and some into salary, but are we ready to invest more; NIL deals?? Who knows, our new VP of Athletics will tell a lot once he starts.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2021 04:22 PM by Outsider.)
11-21-2021 04:22 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
Any interest in Art Briles? I know the baggage he Carrie’s and would probably be a much harder sell at a Christian university than non church affiliated school.
11-21-2021 07:28 PM
Advertisement

rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
(11-21-2021 07:28 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Any interest in Art Briles? I know the baggage he Carrie’s and would probably be a much harder sell at a Christian university than non church affiliated school.

Considering his past ties to another religious institution (Baylor), perhaps that's not as far fetched as you might think. Granted, he got in trouble (that's putting it mildly), but he did win a whole bunch there.
11-21-2021 08:01 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

Both Art and Kendall have been mentioned in our fan chats so far, but I don't think we want the baggage that comes with the Briles name period. All I know is that a firm is heading the search with a goal of naming a new coach by the first of the year.
11-21-2021 08:27 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
I'm sure David Bailiff will at least get a phone call.
11-21-2021 08:45 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(11-21-2021 08:45 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  I'm sure David Bailiff will at least get a phone call.

Bailiff would be an interesting candidate. He has a long history at multiple levels across Texas. How many more years of coaching does he have in him? Does he want to return to d1? I honestly don't know how much of a look he would get.
11-21-2021 09:01 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Have y'all thought about the head coach at Harding univ. He has done well. Do you want to try to get a coach who is a member of the church or does that matter?
11-21-2021 09:10 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

Former Tarleton OC and current UTPB HC Justin Carrigan is a highly regarded up & comer.

Like Art Briles, Chad Morris was HC at Stephenville before jumping up to the college ranks.
11-21-2021 11:14 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(11-21-2021 08:45 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  I'm sure David Bailiff will at least get a phone call.

Bailiff is terrible. ACU missed the boat should have hired Carthel instead of Dorrel. Carthel had a great run at TAMC winning a national title and already has SFA becoming a force. 8-3 and headed to playoffs. He is a talented coach. Bailiff took over a loaded TAMC from Carthel and couldn't even make the playoffs in D2 this year and sat the team last year during Covid.

Of course maybe you suggested it so ACU can be horrible for the next few years until they figure out the obvious.

Bailiff would be a great fit at NMSU where there are no to low expectations on both sides.
11-22-2021 12:45 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

(11-21-2021 07:28 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Any interest in Art Briles? I know the baggage he Carrie’s and would probably be a much harder sell at a Christian university than non church affiliated school.

No one in their right mind is ever going to hire Art Briles. He knowingly brought a sexual predator onto Baylor campus where he raped one or more coeds. Multiple players got felonies. He had assistant coaches run interference to cover for the players. These are facts not a smear on him. You can't turn a blind eye just to get a W. Only an IDIOT AD of would hire him as a HC.
11-22-2021 12:52 AM
WestTexas409 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ACU
(11-22-2021 12:45 AM)BlueDragon Wrote:  

Bailiff is terrible. ACU missed the boat should have hired Carthel instead of Dorrel. Carthel had a great run at TAMC winning a national title and already has SFA becoming a force. 8-3 and headed to playoffs. He is a talented coach. Bailiff took over a loaded TAMC from Carthel and couldn't even make the playoffs in D2 this year and sat the team last year during Covid.

Of course maybe you suggested it so ACU can be horrible for the next few years until they figure out the obvious.

Bailiff would be a great fit at NMSU where there are no to low expectations on both sides.

Negative. Colby was on the staff that led to ACU vacating many wins and being put on NCAA probation.
11-22-2021 09:26 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
What about Jimmy Lake who got fired from UW?
11-22-2021 09:40 AM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
D1...
11-22-2021 10:52 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

He took TEXAS STATE (formerly Southwest Texas State), arguably the WORST program to ever play in the Lone Star and Southland Conferences, to the FCS Semi-Finals in 2005. Went on to have a ton of success at Rice. He and Commerce knocked off #2 Tarleton in the 2019 playoffs. Bailiff's a solid coach with deep Texas roots.
11-22-2021 01:37 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

(11-22-2021 09:26 AM)WestTexas409 Wrote:  

Negative. Colby was on the staff that led to ACU vacating many wins and being put on NCAA probation.

You mean WT. He has never been at ACU. In retrospect what happened at WT was a joke compared to what others are doing and have done. Don, not Colby should’ve got a slap on the hand and a warning. It wasn’t anything that it was made out to be.
11-22-2021 01:57 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

(11-22-2021 01:37 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

He took TEXAS STATE (formerly Southwest Texas State), arguably the WORST program to ever play in the Lone Star and Southland Conferences, to the FCS Semi-Finals in 2005. Went on to have a ton of success at Rice. He and Commerce knocked off #2 Tarleton in the 2019 playoffs. Bailiff's a solid coach with deep Texas roots.

What is your definition of success for Rice? You realize they fired him for losing. Also TAMC beat Tarleton who was missing key components that had got them to the 2 seed. He won with Carthel players. Now they are not even making the playoffs. Yup, give Commerce two more years with Bailiff and you’ll see losing seasons.
11-22-2021 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.