Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Playoff seeding/thoughts
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Playoff seeding/thoughts
I'll post this early. It looks like the 8th seed may come down between KSU, ETSU, and EWU. As of last week, the committee had ETSU as a seed. I don't see how we are out of the seeding after winning, but we shall see. Selection show is at 12:30 on ESPNU.
11-21-2021 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

prosec34 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Playoff seeding/thoughts
From the analysis I've read, we get dinged bad because the SoCon schools have beat down each other. Mercer has the best record of the bunch, but they didn't play anyone of note out-of-conference. And really, the overall records of the whole league appear lackluster. Meanwhile, those schools playing the more respected conferences had more opportunities for "quality" wins.

It would've helped if we'd faced a better opponent than Delaware State for out of conference, assuming we'd have won the game.

It would be a shame we don't get a seed when we beat up a Power Five school. Winning a game like that (decisively) and having a 10-1 record surely makes us worthy of a bye.
11-21-2021 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsubuc Offline
All American

We totally deserve a seed. If we don't get it, there will be two primary reasons. First, we should have won the UTC game and none of this would be in doubt. Second, scheduling another lower tier Division 1 team would have helped us instead of the UVA-Wise game.

FCSFansnation.com has us predicted as the final seed this morning, but none of the other 7 seeds played a D2 game. It seems like if we want to compete for playoff seeds, we need to quit scheduling games against D2 competition.
11-21-2021 09:07 AM
MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

We got zero help yesterday as all of the teams ranked ahead won their games. Winning the conference should mean something. The Big Sky is loaded but EWU finished 3rd and third place in any conference shouldn’t be rewarded with a bye. It’s hard to believe the SoCon is now in a position of only getting the auto qualifier in the playoffs and that a bye is not a guarantee.
11-21-2021 09:16 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Bucs did exactly what they needed to do yesterday. I am so proud of them. We have the FBS win in the resume also and they will look at that. It will be hard for them to not give us a bye but that is my Buc slanted view. Cannot wait for ESPNU at 1230!
11-21-2021 10:12 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
(11-21-2021 09:07 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  We totally deserve a seed. If we don't get it, there will be two primary reasons. First, we should have won the UTC game and none of this would be in doubt. Second, scheduling another lower tier Division 1 team would have helped us instead of the UVA-Wise game.

FCSFansnation.com has us predicted as the final seed this morning, but none of the other 7 seeds played a D2 game. It seems like if we want to compete for playoff seeds, we need to quit scheduling games against D2 competition.

I completely forgot about Wise being a DivII game. I hope that doesn't come back to bite us. I am tired of scheduling DiVII/III/NAIA games in basketball, and now that goes for football. No reason why we can't get a home and home with some other FCS school, anybody. The Vandy win helps. Wonder what the SoCon's RPI/Power ranking is and how it stacks up with other FCS conferences? From looking at that matrix, it's going to be close as to whether we get a bye. Unfortunately looks like Mercer will be left out.
11-21-2021 10:18 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(11-21-2021 10:18 AM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 09:07 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  We totally deserve a seed. If we don't get it, there will be two primary reasons. First, we should have won the UTC game and none of this would be in doubt. Second, scheduling another lower tier Division 1 team would have helped us instead of the UVA-Wise game.

I completely forgot about Wise being a DivII game. I hope that doesn't come back to bite us. I am tired of scheduling DiVII/III/NAIA games in basketball, and now that goes for football. No reason why we can't get a home and home with some other FCS school, anybody. The Vandy win helps. Wonder what the SoCon's RPI/Power ranking is and how it stacks up with other FCS conferences? From looking at that matrix, it's going to be close as to whether we get a bye. Unfortunately looks like Mercer will be left out.

Did any of these higher seeds play and rather soundly defeat an SEC opponent?
11-21-2021 10:32 AM
prosec34 Offline
2nd String

(11-21-2021 10:32 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 10:18 AM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  

Did any of these higher seeds play and rather soundly defeat an SEC opponent?

Not the same by a large margin, but EWU beat UNLV in 2OT first game of year. So they barely beat an FBS school. We dominated a lower SEC school.
11-21-2021 11:44 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I think if we do not get a bye it will show there is a definite bias towards the teams out west. That might well be how it ends up.
11-21-2021 12:01 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Sadly................that bias has been "earned", shall we say. "Back in the day".............the SoCon often had multiple teams competing for the championship. Lately, not so much. Last SoCon team even playing for the championship was Appy in 2005-2007 (which of course they won all 3). And before that were the glory years of Ga. Southern. And Furman was runner-up to Montana in 2001. But it's been slim pickins' in the last 14 years. So, to the outside world, the SoCon has fallen, while other sections of the country have risen.
11-21-2021 12:12 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

And we all also know that..............considering the wilderness we've emerged from..........this is a good problem to have. Not that such a bias doesn't exist, because it apparently does. Just sayin'.
11-21-2021 12:15 PM
Advertisement

prosec34 Offline
2nd String

7!!!!!!
11-21-2021 12:37 PM
MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

Boom!
11-21-2021 12:38 PM
MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

Win and we go to Fargo.
11-21-2021 12:40 PM
prosec34 Offline
2nd String

2500-miles round trip to Fargo. Geez.
11-21-2021 12:42 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I am so amazed they showed respect by seeding us. Wow. No matter what have to play a game if boy in second round. Time for us to become a big boy program...
11-21-2021 12:44 PM
Advertisement

MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

Dang. kennesaw state as a 2nd round is a massive challenge.
11-21-2021 12:55 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

HORRIBLE draw.. my goodness. Kennesaw should of had a first round bye

edit: yes i am overlooking Davidson, Kennesaw's opponent lol
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2021 12:57 PM by Buc'ed_Up.)
11-21-2021 12:55 PM
Buc04 Offline
Water Engineer

Playing Friday Dec. 3 at 2pm vs the winner of Davidson & Kennesaw St!!
11-21-2021 12:56 PM
MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

Kennesaw basically plays a D2 in the opening round. Almost like a bye. That’s the cost of regionalization.
11-21-2021 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.