Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SMU fans
uofmlimbo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
SMU fans
I moved to Allen, TX a couple of months ago and been to McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Richardson and downtown Dallas. But today is the first time I saw someone wearing a SMU shirt at Kroger's.

Is this common to have so little SMU fan support Dallas metro?
11-17-2021 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RaplhTheGreetest! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SMU
RE: SMU fans
(11-17-2021 05:25 PM)uofmlimbo Wrote:  I moved to Allen, TX a couple of months ago and been to McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Richardson and downtown Dallas. But today is the first time I saw someone wearing a SMU shirt at Kroger's.

So pony
11-17-2021 05:26 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Walked around Eagle Stadium. It's so sick.
11-17-2021 05:49 PM
Pony94 Online

SMU fans
(11-17-2021 05:25 PM)uofmlimbo Wrote:  I moved to Allen, TX a couple of months ago and been to McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Richardson and downtown Dallas. But today is the first time I saw someone wearing a SMU shirt at Kroger's.

Go to Cabo, Aspen or Tulum
11-17-2021 06:21 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I went on vacation to Hawaii and the first group I saw at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel were a group of SMU fans wearing SMU shirts.
11-17-2021 06:41 PM
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(11-17-2021 06:21 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

The Polo store is probably closer. hehehe
11-17-2021 06:50 PM
Advertisement

FonzKnight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Drive through Highland Park and you’ll see an occasional flag or doormat every now and then. But your bosses boss is still probably a huge donor
11-17-2021 09:23 PM
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars

Yes this is completely normal. SMU fans rarely go outside or exit their Rolls Royce limousines. When they do they are accompanied by armed security such that you cannot get a glimpse.

SMU fans are more likely to be found at the Ritz in Paris, The Four Seasons in Maui, Hulalalaia instead of than slumming it on the streets of Dallas. Ever seen SMU attendance numbers? The only UH fan you will find in Hawaii will be eating a Spam Misubi in the parking lott of a 711. The few peasants in attendance at the SMU stadium are paid actors. The Hilltop is made of Gold and any real SMU fans does not sit in the bleachers. Box seats are a must for watching the game unless you are at 40,000 ft in a G6.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021 10:44 PM by willhclark.)
11-17-2021 10:27 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
They are all on the hill in their mauve popped collared shirts.
11-18-2021 08:40 AM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(11-17-2021 06:21 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

LOL Kroegers? All Goldbelly school.
11-18-2021 09:40 AM
Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
SMU has a bad rap in Dallas and are now trying to change that perception of being snobby gatekeepers. Their administration didn't have much foresight historically speaking.

Easier said than done though.
11-18-2021 09:43 AM
Advertisement

TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(11-18-2021 09:43 AM)Red Dragon Coog Wrote:  SMU has a bad rap in Dallas and are now trying to change that perception of being snobby gatekeepers. Their administration didn't have much foresight historically speaking.

TU is kinda the same in Tulsa. Everyone sees them as being pretentious university. Most fans are OU and OSU and if you are TU then you must be rich and snobby. Well, I'm a broke TU fan lol.
11-18-2021 09:50 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
It's a private school. The tuition is enormously high. The average person can't afford it and therefore don't identify with them. They do cater to the rich. They therefore have the best facilities and campus in the country and they can afford the best coaching staff in all of their sports. It's a choice. If I hadn't had the GI bill and a worked for a company that paid my tuition and books, I probably couldn't have graduated from there.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2021 10:26 AM by SMUstang.)
11-18-2021 10:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
(11-18-2021 09:50 AM)TUCandoit Wrote:  
(11-18-2021 09:43 AM)Red Dragon Coog Wrote:  SMU has a bad rap in Dallas and are now trying to change that perception of being snobby gatekeepers. Their administration didn't have much foresight historically speaking.

TU is kinda the same in Tulsa. Everyone sees them as being pretentious university. Most fans are OU and OSU and if you are TU then you must be rich and snobby. Well, I'm a broke TU fan lol.

Tulsa could have easily been what Houston, Cincinnati, Louisville and even Menphis are in relation to the townsfolk.

Even if TU would have still stuck to being a private school, they could have the type of relationship Miami has with the residents despite Miami being a private school.
11-18-2021 11:27 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
(11-18-2021 08:40 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  They are all on the hill in their mauve popped collared shirts.

Around here that is called "Ole Miss Fan".

and the women wear high heels and a dress to football games.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2021 02:19 PM by Bill83.)
11-18-2021 12:19 PM
RGVCoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UH, Iowa
11-18-2021 12:29 PM
Advertisement

SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..

Yes. SMU's estimated number of alumni in Dallas is about 30k. This is in a city that is about 1.5M, not counting the entire DFW Metroplex. We are a smaller university (around 6500 undergrad) located in the heart of a major metropolis that is growing by the day from new people moving in, making our market share smaller and smaller literally by the hour.

This is the whole point of the 'Dallas' push; point out that we've been here for over a century, look at the amount of money SMU brings to the economy, the impact the alumni have had on the city (including the current mayor), and so on. It's a sports hotbed and the school, whose students come from all over and then move out when they graduate, desperately needs some 'T shirt' fans, else we will never sell out a very small collegiate stadium and we will continue to miss out not only on the recruiting aspects of Dallas but on all the other things the city has to offer the school.

So, again, yes. That's why CSD is important beyond just wins. We need more local support.
11-18-2021 01:23 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(11-18-2021 01:23 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  

Yes. SMU's estimated number of alumni in Dallas is about 30k. This is in a city that is about 1.5M, not counting the entire DFW Metroplex. We are a smaller university (around 6500 undergrad) located in the heart of a major metropolis that is growing by the day from new people moving in, making our market share smaller and smaller literally by the hour.

This is the whole point of the 'Dallas' push; point out that we've been here for over a century, look at the amount of money SMU brings to the economy, the impact the alumni have had on the city (including the current mayor), and so on. It's a sports hotbed and the school, whose students come from all over and then move out when they graduate, desperately needs some 'T shirt' fans, else we will never sell out a very small collegiate stadium and we will continue to miss out not only on the recruiting aspects of Dallas but on all the other things the city has to offer the school.

So, again, yes. That's why CSD is important beyond just wins. We need more local support.

Even with how successful TCU has been and the exposure of the big 12 you hardly see any tcu stickers or t shirt fans around DFW.

I’d say of the college stuff you see around DFW it’s Tx tech, UT, A&M, OU pretty evenly at the top followed by TCU UNT SMU OSU

But cowboys by far are where most of the sports fandom comes from
11-18-2021 01:42 PM
splitstud Offline
1st String

I Root For: Illuminati, BCS
(11-17-2021 05:26 PM)RaplhTheGreetest! Wrote:  

So pony

I'm not sure SMU fans shop for themselves, nor frequent Kroger's
11-18-2021 02:57 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Kind of an odd way to admit to the world that you've never stepped foot in the nicest restraunts, hotels, and country clubs of Dallas. Otherwise you would've rubbed elbows with the SMU crowd while the UH grads took your drink order.
11-18-2021 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.