Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Former Obama Adviser Says Biden Needs To ‘Come Clean’ About Inflation
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Former Obama Adviser Says Biden Needs To ‘Come Clean’ About Inflation
Quote:A former top official in President Barack Obama’s administration has a message for Joe Biden and Democrats.

In an op-ed for the New York Times, Steven Rattner, a counselor to the treasury secretary during the Obama administration, says he “warned” Democrats about inflation.

Rattner argued that inflation is now Biden’s biggest problem that needs to be addressed or it will only continue to get worse.

“How could an administration loaded with savvy political and economic hands have gotten this critical issue so wrong?” Rattner wrote.

“From my many conversations with administration officials, lawmakers, and informed onlookers in recent months, it’s clear to me that the pressure on the White House, particularly from progressives, to move forcefully was intense,” Rattner said.

“The original sin was the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, passed in March. The bill — almost completely unfunded — sought to counter the effects of the Covid pandemic by focusing on demand-side stimulus rather than on investment. That has contributed materially to today’s inflation levels,” he wrote.

“Inflation had already been tagged as a factor in the Democrats’ awful election results this month and in the president’s sagging poll numbers. It also threatens the passage of President Biden’s Build Back Better plan, which includes expansive new initiatives to address climate change, as well as important programs like paid family leave and universal preschool,” he wrote.

“How could an administration loaded with savvy political and economic hands have gotten this critical issue so wrong?” he wrote. “They can’t say they weren’t warned — notably by Larry Summers, a former Treasury secretary and my former boss in the Obama administration, and less notably by many others, including me. We worried that shoveling an unprecedented amount of spending into an economy already on the road to recovery would mean too much money chasing too few goods.”

“From my many conversations with administration officials, lawmakers, and informed onlookers in recent months, it’s clear to me that the pressure on the White House, particularly from progressives, to move forcefully was intense. Emboldened by his victory over Donald Trump, Mr. Biden made clear he believed he had a mandate to effect broad change. Haunted by the response to the 2008 economic crisis, deemed too timid by many experts, his mantra has been that it is better to do too much rather than too little. Maybe — but this much?” he asked.

Rattner said it’s time for Biden and Democrats to “come clean” about inflation.

“So the administration should come clean with voters about the impact of its spending plans on inflation. Build Back Better can be deemed “paid for” only if one embraces budget gimmicks, like assuming that some of the most important initiatives will be allowed to expire in just a few years. The result: a package that front-loads spending while tax revenues arrive only over a decade. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that the plan would likely add $800 billion or more to the deficit over the next five years, exacerbating inflationary pressures,” Rattner wrote.

“The White House needs to inject some real fiscal discipline into its thinking. Given the importance of Mr. Biden’s spending initiatives, the right move would be to add significant revenue sources. Yes, that means tax increases. We can’t get back money badly spent. But we can build this economic plan back better,” he concluded.

Link

If he's to come clean, who's doing the wiping?

[/quote]
11-17-2021 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
RE: Former Obama Adviser Says Biden Needs To ‘Come Clean’ About Inflation
My biggest pet peeve with Trump was spending (I get that Spring 2020 was necessary but the huge deficits prior).

I remember thinking in just before the election that he would get hammered on the employment disincentives if he wins.

Biden just doubled down on stupid.
11-18-2021 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
(11-18-2021 09:36 AM)Bill83 Wrote:  My biggest pet peeve with Trump was spending (I get that Spring 2020 was necessary but the huge deficits prior).

I remember thinking in just before the election that he would get hammered on the employment disincentives if he wins.

The whole administration doubles down on stupidity daily. Are you surprised by this?
11-18-2021 09:38 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
(11-18-2021 09:38 AM)No2rdame Wrote:  
(11-18-2021 09:36 AM)Bill83 Wrote:  My biggest pet peeve with Trump was spending (I get that Spring 2020 was necessary but the huge deficits prior).

The whole administration doubles down on stupidity daily. Are you surprised by this?

Nope, most incompetence since Carter (and these folks are much worse).
11-18-2021 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.