Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next football game
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Next football game
With the OU game, who by the way is playing better football now, looming around the corner, UT must not let their guard down. I don't think they will as I am hoping they will finished at 7-5 with a bowl game to boot. They will have finished at 5-3 in the conference.

After being the favorite in winning the West, it has been a colossal disappointment. NIU has won the close games that they needed to win and UT hasn't. I am sure the folks in K-town feel the same way about the Broncos, as their team has been a failure this season.

Granted, MAC football has been mediocre this season, although some would say it's called parity. I do believe many of the better athletes in the south that played in the MAC in the past, are now staying home and playing for the Sun belt teams. It's called warmer weather and better TV exposure.
11-14-2021 09:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Next football game
(11-14-2021 09:02 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  With the OU game, who by the way is playing better football now, looming around the corner, UT must not let their guard down. I don't think they will as I am hoping they will finished at 7-5 with a bowl game to boot. They will have finished at 5-3 in the conference.

After being the favorite in winning the West, it has been a colossal disappointment. NIU has won the close games that they needed to win and UT hasn't. I am sure the folks in K-town feel the same way about the Broncos, as their team has been a failure this season.

Granted, MAC football has been mediocre this season, although some would say it's called parity. I do believe many of the better athletes in the south that played in the MAC in the past, are now staying home and playing for the Sun belt teams. It's called warmer weather and better TV exposure.

Rockets weren't picked to win the MAC West in either the MAC Coaches or Media Polls. Picked 3rd by the Coaches
and 2nd the Media. Btw, approximately 1/3 of the Rockets' roster is from Southern States(I'm including Texas). Up around Lake Okeechobee this week, temps
will be in the 40's at night. Nashville average November temps run 60-40 degrees. Toledo 50-35 degrees.
11-14-2021 10:17 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
The MAC did well OOC. This is the best conference year since 2015 Id say. Never has all 6 MAC West teams been bowl eligible. Wins vs. FIU, UMASS x2, Army, Texas State, GT, Pitt, and SJSU may not sound glorious but we stole a few and did our job vs. the rest. The only dissapointing ones were our blunders to CSU and ND. Maybe a Wyoming game vs. NIU or Ball.

2020 was good as well with 2 Top 25 MAC teams and solid bowl wins...different scenario though.

I bet the MAC can be in the running for best bowl record.
11-15-2021 08:13 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(11-15-2021 08:13 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  The MAC did well OOC. This is the best conference year since 2015 Id say. Never has all 6 MAC West teams been bowl eligible. Wins vs. FIU, UMASS x2, Army, Texas State, GT, Pitt, and SJSU may not sound glorious but we stole a few and did our job vs. the rest. The only dissapointing ones were our blunders to CSU and ND. Maybe a Wyoming game vs. NIU or Ball.

2020 was good as well with 2 Top 25 MAC teams and solid bowl wins...different scenario though.

BG did win at Minny, and Buffalo could have beaten Coastal Carolina in a close contest... The major one was not being able to finish off ND...03-banghead
Far from a mediocre MAC season... Just a case of no team dominating throughout the regular season ... A lot of ups and downs for everyone...
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021 10:55 AM by FMRocket.)
11-15-2021 10:53 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(11-14-2021 09:02 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  With the OU game, who by the way is playing better football now, looming around the corner, UT must not let their guard down. I don't think they will as I am hoping they will finished at 7-5 with a bowl game to boot. They will have finished at 5-3 in the conference.

The Sun Belt does not have better tv exposure !!
11-15-2021 10:58 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-15-2021 10:53 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(11-15-2021 08:13 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  The MAC did well OOC. This is the best conference year since 2015 Id say. Never has all 6 MAC West teams been bowl eligible. Wins vs. FIU, UMASS x2, Army, Texas State, GT, Pitt, and SJSU may not sound glorious but we stole a few and did our job vs. the rest. The only dissapointing ones were our blunders to CSU and ND. Maybe a Wyoming game vs. NIU or Ball.

BG did win at Minny, and Buffalo could have beaten Coastal Carolina in a close contest... The major one was not being able to finish off ND...03-banghead
Far from a mediocre MAC season... Just a case of no team dominating throughout the regular season ... A lot of ups and downs for everyone...
Exactly! I was just referring to the MAC West.

Compared to expectations and realistically evaluating the teams based on what they returned Id have the MAC as this...
NIU ++
EMU +
CMU +
BG +
Miami +
Akron =
KENT =
UB - (NEW COACH IN MARCH. Vegas was wrong from the start on projected wins. I hammered that 8.5 win expextancy under)
Ohio - (Losing Solich in late July dramatically changed the trajectory. Id say they are down a bit but playing more like we expected now)
BSU --
UT --
WMU --

5 pleasant surprises, and 3 big disapointments that are only that because each returned a lot and could have won 10 games. Those teams are still bowling though. Ohio and Buffalo had program reasons for flaws.

The biggest plus plus of em all is 0 win NIU a half game from clinching the MAC West... The middle teams are mostly better than most years, and the top dogs kind of slipped back a bit leaving larger middle.
11-15-2021 12:29 PM
Advertisement

rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Our -- rating is right on! Go back to the beginning and look at what we had going for us and to end up here is not acceptable. We may not even get to the point where the Media and Coaches polls had us. Even with 2 more wins not sure we deserve a bowl game? These 2 games will tell a lot about this operation. if we do not go 2-0, I vote no on the bowl!
11-15-2021 04:15 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I stand by what I said that the Rockets were rated at the top of the MAC West or pick second behind Ball State according to other polls. Since they did win against both the Cardinals and Broncos, they should not have lost to EMU, NIU, and CMU. And all three were pick far down on the West according to the preseason MAC polling.
11-15-2021 09:20 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

No excuse to be 7-5, but we still were mighty close if it wasnt for some poor execution, coaching and fg luck. At 7-5 we need a bowl. Who else has been left out the past decade and still eligible? CMU once? We have been three times counting covid! The kids deserve a gift if we end 3-0. Our fans could use some positivty too... Go to Detroit and play an ACC or B1G team? With Finn ON. Heck yes. The D is still on a mission.
11-15-2021 11:20 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
One loss was the result of our kicker falling apart. 1 loss hinged on a bad p.i. call. 1 on well earned penalties (they contributed to all the losses really). I'd say the ND game was a toss up and we just came out a little short. Colorado St game still kinda baffles me-oline issues for the most part. Rockets could easily be 8-2 or 9-1. but we've earned 5-5.
11-16-2021 02:50 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

There's losses by a play or a penalty and there are losses that shouldn't have been close to begin with to where a play or a penalty would have mattered. Coaching earned the 5-5.
11-16-2021 06:53 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2021 06:53 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  There's losses by a play or a penalty and there are losses that shouldn't have been close to begin with to where a play or a penalty would have mattered. Coaching earned the 5-5.

Yep. That doesnt mean the ceiling isnt still high in a game by game basis remaining. You fix those issues and find a QB and we win the next two by 4 TDs. A Good Rockets team is in the top 25 and competing with ND. Wouldnt that be fun come bowl time? The Jury is out.
11-16-2021 04:46 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2021 04:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-16-2021 06:53 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  There's losses by a play or a penalty and there are losses that shouldn't have been close to begin with to where a play or a penalty would have mattered. Coaching earned the 5-5.

Yep. That doesnt mean the ceiling isnt still high in a game by game basis remaining. You fix those issues and find a QB and we win the next two by 4 TDs. A Good Rockets team is in the top 25 and competing with ND. Wouldnt that be fun come bowl time? The Jury is out.

Maybe I didnt follow. You're saying a 7-5 MAC team in the top 25?

If they'd gobble stomped ND that wouldn't happen at 7-5. Bowl game for the Seniors if they want it. I think that's what they're playing for at this point.
11-16-2021 05:03 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

go 7-5 plus win a bowl makes for mediocre and disappointing season, give expectations including majority expressed on this board before season. Its a lost season that fall short of what was possible, I have little interest in remaining game and don't care if they go bowling, and blame for poor season and lost opportunities falls right on coaches and players. Candle will stay on but be under the microscope in 2022 season and on hot seat for firing after next season if team does not complete for MACC.
11-18-2021 10:56 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2021 05:03 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

If they'd gobble stomped ND that wouldn't happen at 7-5. Bowl game for the Seniors if they want it. I think that's what they're playing for at this point.

No lol. I mean we can play like the top 25 we should be if everything is cleaned up. We CAN play like we did vs. ND and be unstoppable in a bowl game. Which im still excited for as a possibility. We arent NIU where although it could be a miracle 9 win regular season, they just dont have the players to blow anyone out OR compete with high level teams like Michigan.

I dont think Mich beats us 63-3 or whatever... Every team has a range it can play up or down to. Toledo can play top 25 ball or as low as about 110. BG about top 60 to 130. NIU about 65 to 100. We can be dangerous even though you never know who is showing up.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2021 11:15 AM by UofToledoFans.)
11-18-2021 11:11 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(11-18-2021 11:11 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

No lol. I mean we can play like the top 25 we should be if everything is cleaned up. We CAN play like we did vs. ND and be unstoppable in a bowl game. Which im still excited for as a possibility. We arent NIU where although it could be a miracle 9 win regular season, they just dont have the players to blow anyone out OR compete with high level teams like Michigan.

I dont think Mich beats us 63-3 or whatever... Every team has a range it can play up or down to. Toledo can play top 25 ball or as low as about 110. BG about top 60 to 130. NIU about 65 to 100. We can be dangerous even though you never know who is showing up.

sorry but I don't view this team as "dangerous" nor do I suspect our next 1-2 opponents will, ND game showed potential, unfortunately every game since has shown no aspect of this team (talent, coaching, game planning, game day strategy and decision making, players, scheme, performance, offense, defense, ST) that is "dominate", UT is what they are and have shown this to date a 6-5 team. Yes UT could win next 1-games they have that potential but they don't scare anyone.
11-18-2021 11:54 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2021 11:54 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

sorry but I don't view this team as "dangerous" nor do I suspect our next 1-2 opponents will, ND game showed potential, unfortunately every game since has shown no aspect of this team (talent, coaching, game planning, game day strategy and decision making, players, scheme, performance, offense, defense, ST) that is "dominate", UT is what they are and have shown this to date a 6-5 team. Yes UT could win next 1-games they have that potential but they don't scare anyone.

We played like a top 25 team once therefor thats our ceiling. The highest ceiling in the league. WMU may have the 2nd? Pitt would get beat decently by ND IMO. You could argue we didnt get NDs best. But we almost knocked off a curent #8 team with a million penalties. Youre lieng to yourself if you dont see the talent we have. I proclaim at our best we beat Akron by 35 and a not App State by 3 or 4 scores. Dont agree?
11-18-2021 12:46 PM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

We cannot figure out this whole Season. Ohio knocks off EMU who beat us. Akron took WMU down to the wire. NIU beats everybody and they were predicted not to be so good. NIU went into O/T last night with a down Buffalo Squad. We lose three games by a combined total of (6) lousy points and I attribute most of that to coaching and bad, real bad officiating. We played ND better than Cincinnati did and still lost. NIU got smoked at Michigan and yet we couldn't stop Rocky Lombardi who looked and played like a Heisman Trophy Winner. And how in the world did BGSU beat Minnesota? I'm glad they did because I cannot stomach that Row the Boat RAH RAH Coach Fleck who BTW hasn't won a game since he got a huge raise. So on and so on and so on.

Finish strong Rockets. Beat Akron!!!
11-18-2021 01:30 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(11-18-2021 12:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-18-2021 11:54 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(11-16-2021 04:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Yep. That doesnt mean the ceiling isnt still high in a game by game basis remaining. You fix those issues and find a QB and we win the next two by 4 TDs. A Good Rockets team is in the top 25 and competing with ND. Wouldnt that be fun come bowl time? The Jury is out.

We played like a top 25 team once therefor thats our ceiling. The highest ceiling in the league. WMU may have the 2nd? Pitt would get beat decently by ND IMO. You could argue we didnt get NDs best. But we almost knocked off a curent #8 team with a million penalties. Youre lieng to yourself if you dont see the talent we have. I proclaim at our best we beat Akron by 35 and a not App State by 3 or 4 scores. Dont agree?

You are as good as your record: 6-5
11-18-2021 03:57 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

and its not just this season, we are now at four year record of 23-19 with one bowl game (L) and no MACC appearance, clearly mediocre, and I agree coaching is a big part of that, but perhaps team has not been as talented as we think (regardless of the recruitment class "rankings), and I am not going to blame officials for all those losses including this year. Seems clear problems run deep and have existed for four years, and I don't think we as fans should be satisfied with any of this.
So no, at 6-6 or 7-5 (and with bowl W/L) in my view it was an underperforming, inconsistent team and far from a decent season that none of us should be pleased about.
11-18-2021 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.