McNeese will not be joining the WAC
11-09-2021 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: McNeese will not be joining the WAC
Why? I think their entrance to C-USA is very "iffy".
11-09-2021 12:28 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(11-09-2021 12:28 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Why? I think their entrance to C-USA is very "iffy".

I am going to guess there's more to the Southland/McNeese story that will unfold in the next week or two that will make this more clear...

Or perhaps losing Sam Houston State (who has/had FBS ambitions) and the idea that the WAC may not be on path for FBS put McNeese on hold with the idea of the move. Their president is big on the FBS move possibilities and not missing the boat from the 1980s when they had an opportunity to do so.
11-09-2021 12:33 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-09-2021 11:31 AM)WAChsenburggemeinde Wrote:  they will remain in Southland

https://twitter.com/mattbrownep/status/1...86025?s=21

Wow. Did Sam Houston State have THAT much influence? Regardless, the WAC wouldn't have been a great fit for them anyways. They would've been figuring out their next conference move from WAC Membership Day 1.
11-09-2021 12:48 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(11-09-2021 12:48 PM)All4One Wrote:  Wow. Did Sam Houston State have THAT much influence? Regardless, the WAC wouldn't have been a great fit for them anyways. They would've been figuring out their next conference move from WAC Membership Day 1.

Sam Houston has influence on the FBS conversation within the WAC.

I am still convinced by the 'copy' we have seen from McNeese in the Lake Charles newspaper & the remarks made by their president, that they wanted to go FBS.

The WAC's ambitions to go FBS seem to have gone off the tracks with Sam Houston's ascent to FBS through C-USA and already established New Mexico State no longer being in the league.
11-09-2021 12:55 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
I always thought McNeese would end up in the ASUN, atleast before the WAC fell apart and needed a 2nd school.

This is still surprising, though I heard the Southland may have made them a hell of a deal to stay.
11-09-2021 02:03 PM
Advertisement

KINGALLISON Offline
2nd String

I Root For: New Mexico St
Time to add West Texas A&M and Eastern New Mexico University. Let's Go!!! haha
11-09-2021 03:50 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
[Image: 5tknlq.jpg]
11-09-2021 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(11-09-2021 02:03 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  I always thought McNeese would end up in the ASUN, atleast before the WAC fell apart and needed a 2nd school.

This is still surprising, though I heard the Southland may have made them a hell of a deal to stay.

Maybe they think there is hope of them joining C-USA?

Not to sure that they would be near the top of the next adds to C-USA.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021 12:47 PM by GoOwls111.)
11-09-2021 04:50 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

This explains why - the Southland gave McNeese & Lake Charles plenty...

Quote:As part of the continuing membership, McNeese and the Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana community will host numerous Southland Conference championship events from 2023-26, including the Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments, the Baseball Tournament and Softball Tournament. The Southland Conference membership has frequently sought opportunities to assist the regional Lake Area following the devastating landfalls of Hurricanes Laura and Delta in 2020, and these events are planned to provide ongoing economic impact and support rebuilding the Southwest Louisiana community.

"We remain committed to finding a path to FBS Football, and after evaluating several options, and a lengthy discussion with the newly-invigorated Southland Conference leadership team, we are excited about the commitment the SLC has made to the SWLA Community," McNeese President Daryl Burckel said. "This agreement better positions us to pursue our goal of becoming an FBS football institution, while providing much needed economic stimulus for our community."

The Basketball Tournaments will take place at McNeese's Legacy Center, a recently re-named $41 million complex completed and opened on campus in 2018. The Baseball Tournaments will also be conducted on campus at Joe Miller Ballpark, and the Softball Tournaments will take place at Joe Miller Field at Cowgirl Diamond.

"By remaining in the Southland Conference, this agreement solidifies our automatic qualifier in all sports," McNeese Athletic Director Heath Schroyer said. "By hosting these championships on our campus we are providing our teams with an excellent opportunity to advance to the NCAA tournaments."

In addition to these four-year runs for events on the McNeese campus, the Southland Conference's Football Media Day event will return to Lake Charles for the next five years.

McNeese Sports
11-09-2021 05:31 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
If I’m reading between the lines, the WAC has no path to FBS so it made no sense to move there. Best to stay in the SLC and see if an FBS conference come calling (CUSA?).
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021 06:22 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
11-09-2021 06:20 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
There is always a path to FBS... Even without an invite from an FBS conference, if you want it bad enough, see Liberty University!
11-09-2021 06:37 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(11-09-2021 12:55 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(11-09-2021 12:48 PM)All4One Wrote:  Wow. Did Sam Houston State have THAT much influence? Regardless, the WAC wouldn't have been a great fit for them anyways. They would've been figuring out their next conference move from WAC Membership Day 1.

Sam Houston has influence on the FBS conversation within the WAC.

I am still convinced by the 'copy' we have seen from McNeese in the Lake Charles newspaper & the remarks made by their president, that they wanted to go FBS.

The WAC's ambitions to go FBS seem to have gone off the tracks with Sam Houston's ascent to FBS through C-USA and already established New Mexico State no longer being in the league.

Please. Everyone knows Tarleton has been calling the shots for the WAC. McNeese didn't accept the WAC's invite because Tarleton didn't let them accept the invite.
11-10-2021 01:02 AM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2021 04:05 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  [Image: 5tknlq.jpg]

LOL
11-10-2021 01:02 AM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

(11-09-2021 06:20 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  If I’m reading between the lines, the WAC has no path to FBS so it made no sense to move there. Best to stay in the SLC and see if an FBS conference come calling (CUSA?).

They'll still be going FBS because the are all doing feasibility studies.
11-10-2021 01:13 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

Here’s more on the situation

Quote: What did change was the landscape over the last two weeks. The WAC, which is a dormant FBS league, lost two schools to Conference USA in Sam Houston State and New Mexico State that are football-oriented. Both moved to C-USA taking with them the WAC’s current road to that level.

“When New Mexico State and Sam left the WAC the juice was not the same in the room,” said McNeese President Daryl Burckel. “The talk was about a much longer time frame in moving up and some of the push was gone.

“We just did not want to have other schools making the decision on our future for us. We want to be the ones deciding what is in the best interest for McNeese in the coming years.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/11/09...a-tourism/
11-10-2021 07:10 AM
Advertisement

TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
(11-09-2021 05:31 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  This explains why - the Southland gave McNeese & Lake Charles plenty...

Quote:As part of the continuing membership, McNeese and the Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana community will host numerous Southland Conference championship events from 2023-26, including the Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments, the Baseball Tournament and Softball Tournament. The Southland Conference membership has frequently sought opportunities to assist the regional Lake Area following the devastating landfalls of Hurricanes Laura and Delta in 2020, and these events are planned to provide ongoing economic impact and support rebuilding the Southwest Louisiana community.

"We remain committed to finding a path to FBS Football, and after evaluating several options, and a lengthy discussion with the newly-invigorated Southland Conference leadership team, we are excited about the commitment the SLC has made to the SWLA Community," McNeese President Daryl Burckel said. "This agreement better positions us to pursue our goal of becoming an FBS football institution, while providing much needed economic stimulus for our community."

The Basketball Tournaments will take place at McNeese's Legacy Center, a recently re-named $41 million complex completed and opened on campus in 2018. The Baseball Tournaments will also be conducted on campus at Joe Miller Ballpark, and the Softball Tournaments will take place at Joe Miller Field at Cowgirl Diamond.

"By remaining in the Southland Conference, this agreement solidifies our automatic qualifier in all sports," McNeese Athletic Director Heath Schroyer said. "By hosting these championships on our campus we are providing our teams with an excellent opportunity to advance to the NCAA tournaments."

In addition to these four-year runs for events on the McNeese campus, the Southland Conference's Football Media Day event will return to Lake Charles for the next five years.

McNeese Sports

One of the more brazen bribes I've seen from conferences. Tbh, I didn't know the Southland had it in them.
11-10-2021 07:28 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I'm surprised they aren't moving the headquarters

A Southland with HQ in Louisiana would make sense
11-10-2021 08:00 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(11-10-2021 08:00 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I'm surprised they aren't moving the headquarters

A Southland with HQ in Louisiana would make sense

There is nothing stable about the league particularly in Lake Charles where they are angling to leave in next five years. Not sure it makes sense to move out of Frisco when you don’t know how long the school(s) and cities they are in will be around the conference
11-10-2021 08:09 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
Commish Burnett is a total putz. Replacing him should be priority one.
11-10-2021 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.