Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coastal vs Georgia Southern (11/6- 6:00 p.m)
Bookmark and Share
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
Coastal vs Georgia Southern (11/6- 6:00 p.m)
[Image: 20211104-124800.jpg]
11-04-2021 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kdarnell233 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Coastal vs Georgia Southern (11/6- 6:00 p.m)
I expect us to play with the most intensity we have all season. Helton is there watching and evaluating the roster, the players are going to want to show their worth.
11-04-2021 11:55 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(11-04-2021 11:55 AM)kdarnell233 Wrote:  I expect us to play with the most intensity we have all season. Helton is there watching and evaluating the roster, the players are going to want to show their worth.

Still....03-nutkick
11-04-2021 01:47 PM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Is it weird that I’m actually legitimately worried about this game?

It seems like when there is a big shake up in a program (coach fired, coach hired, etc) there is often some weird emotional spike afterward for the team and they play out of their minds.

Plus, no offense to the eagles, but they have nothing to lose and when you play like you have nothing to lose, you’re often dangerous.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021 02:21 PM by CoastalAlum2011.)
11-04-2021 02:20 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
If Georgia Southern beats both Coastal and BYU, will the CFP rank them? Two Top 25 wins, that's as many as Michigan State has, I believe...
11-04-2021 02:26 PM
Advertisement

TealNation Offline
All American

(11-04-2021 02:26 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  If Georgia Southern beats both Coastal and BYU, will the CFP rank them? Two Top 25 wins, that's as many as Michigan State has, I believe...
Coastal is no longer ranked in their stupid CFP poll...but according to BCS polling they'd come in at 23... interesting. Also, GS is not a Power 5, so both CCU and BYU would just be deemed not that good, without having to give much respect to GS...what a system.
11-04-2021 02:40 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2021 02:40 PM)TealNation Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 02:26 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  If Georgia Southern beats both Coastal and BYU, will the CFP rank them? Two Top 25 wins, that's as many as Michigan State has, I believe...
Coastal is no longer ranked in their stupid CFP poll...but according to BCS polling they'd come in at 23... interesting. Also, GS is not a Power 5, so both CCU and BYU would just be deemed not that good, without having to give much respect to GS...what a system.

The CFP Ranking is not a poll. Let's not get those terms confused. It is a collection of Power Rankings used to justify future rankings.
11-04-2021 02:44 PM
TealNation Offline
All American

(11-04-2021 02:44 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

The CFP Ranking is not a poll. Let's not get those terms confused. It is a collection of Power Rankings used to justify future rankings.
CFP is a ranking of a 13 person committee. Very little "data" appears to be involved. It's more "eye test" than anything, of who they see fit. All those ranked G5's no longer have a number beside their names because of it, even UTSA being ranked as high as #16...no justification of data can support that.
11-04-2021 02:55 PM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal

Bingo, it only exists to prop up the results of 10 schools. Make sure that losses by those 10 schools do not look bad.
11-04-2021 02:57 PM
Advertisement

TealNation Offline
All American

(11-04-2021 02:57 PM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  

Bingo, it only exists to prop up the results of 10 schools. Make sure that losses by those 10 schools do not look bad.
After a point all of College football shifts towards those rankings. The AP and Coaches poll becomes irrelevant, so I don't even understand the point of them. Coastal is now unranked.
11-04-2021 03:00 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2021 02:55 PM)TealNation Wrote:  

CFP is a ranking of a 13 person committee. Very little "data" appears to be involved. It's more "eye test" than anything, of who they see fit. All those ranked G5's no longer have a number beside their names because of it, even UTSA being ranked as high as #16...no justification of data can support that.

UTSA beat Illinois and left no doubt. They've won every game since. Illinois beat Penn State and Penn State gave the Number 5 team a run for their money. If I remember correctly, Clifford was not playing to end the Ohio State game so they really had no hope.

They are undefeated since.

That's justification enough for me. You all weren't complaining or questioning Coastal's high ranking. You were just along for the ride, right? Don't question things when they help you, question everything when it's against you.

If I'm being honest, I prefer to the AP Top 25 to both the Coaches and the CFP Power Rankings.

Ask yourself why Fresno and SDSU are ranked. Both actually have a worse SoS than App State does. Every opponent on App's schedule is now .500 or better, two are ranked in the AP Top 25. Is App ranked if the Louisiana game is close? Probably not.

Fresno is ranked because UCLA is overrated, as per usual. LSU is also overrated and that's the single decent win UCLA had. The rest is cake. It's all to prop up Oregon and thus Ohio State.

Anyway, that's off topic of this thread. Ideally, App, Coastal, and Louisiana win out to get to 11 and 10 wins in the regular season. Lot of people are going to question three Sun Belt teams with double digit wins and none of them being ranked.
11-04-2021 03:00 PM
kdarnell233 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-04-2021 02:20 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Is it weird that I’m actually legitimately worried about this game?

It seems like when there is a big shake up in a program (coach fired, coach hired, etc) there is often some weird emotional spike afterward for the team and they play out of their minds.

Plus, no offense to the eagles, but they have nothing to lose and when you play like you have nothing to lose, you’re often dangerous.

We already had our emotional spike game and it was against Arkansas State. We might keep it close for a little bit, but our defense is one of the worst in the nation and the offense is....well no one really knows other than it's ugly.
11-04-2021 03:06 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2021 03:06 PM)kdarnell233 Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 02:20 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Is it weird that I’m actually legitimately worried about this game?

We already had our emotional spike game and it was against Arkansas State. We might keep it close for a little bit, but our defense is one of the worst in the nation and the offense is....well no one really knows other than it's ugly.

Why is your defense so bad? You have Scott Sloan? Is it a support staff issue?

I imagine that Helton keeps Sloan around for recruiting purposes. Otherwise Sloan likely ends up back in Boone or in Louisville, I'd imagine.
11-04-2021 03:08 PM
Advertisement

TealNation Offline
All American

(11-04-2021 03:00 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 02:55 PM)TealNation Wrote:  

UTSA beat Illinois and left no doubt. They've won every game since. Illinois beat Penn State and Penn State gave the Number 5 team a run for their money. If I remember correctly, Clifford was not playing to end the Ohio State game so they really had no hope.

They are undefeated since.

That's justification enough for me. You all weren't complaining or questioning Coastal's high ranking. You were just along for the ride, right? Don't question things when they help you, question everything when it's against you.

If I'm being honest, I prefer to the AP Top 25 to both the Coaches and the CFP Power Rankings.

Ask yourself why Fresno and SDSU are ranked. Both actually have a worse SoS than App State does. Every opponent on App's schedule is now .500 or better, two are ranked in the AP Top 25. Is App ranked if the Louisiana game is close? Probably not.

Fresno is ranked because UCLA is overrated, as per usual. LSU is also overrated and that's the single decent win UCLA had. The rest is cake. It's all to prop up Oregon and thus Ohio State.

Anyway, that's off topic of this thread. Ideally, App, Coastal, and Louisiana win out to get to 11 and 10 wins in the regular season. Lot of people are going to question three Sun Belt teams with double digit wins and none of them being ranked.
No, I'm saying there is no justification as to why UTSA was shafted in the CFP Rankings...there is absolutely no data to support that. They are UNDEFEATED!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021 03:12 PM by TealNation.)
11-04-2021 03:11 PM
kdarnell233 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-04-2021 03:08 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

I imagine that Helton keeps Sloan around for recruiting purposes. Otherwise Sloan likely ends up back in Boone or in Louisville, I'd imagine.

Given the fact that it was terrific in 2018 and above average in 2019, it points to a lack of talent. We have guys on both sides of the ball that have no business being on an FBS football team.

Goes back to when Lunsford got fired and a ton of players said 'he gave me a chance when no one else would.' That's....not who you recruit if you want to be a serious FBS team.
11-04-2021 03:18 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2021 03:18 PM)kdarnell233 Wrote:  

Given the fact that it was terrific in 2018 and above average in 2019, it points to a lack of talent. We have guys on both sides of the ball that have no business being on an FBS football team.

Goes back to when Lunsford got fired and a ton of players said 'he gave me a chance when no one else would.' That's....not who you recruit if you want to be a serious FBS team.

Sloan was a great recruiter for App. A lot of fans were wondering what App would do once he left. App's recruiting actually got stronger under Clark when he was recruiting coordinator and has continued.

I wonder if it has to do with the difficulty of recruiting to Southern when you have below average coaching staff's? I'd hate to imagine that Sloan is part of the problem because he never was an issue at App. If anything, App owes a lot of their success even today to what Sloan helped build through his recruiting targets.
11-04-2021 03:22 PM
kdarnell233 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-04-2021 03:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Sloan was a great recruiter for App. A lot of fans were wondering what App would do once he left. App's recruiting actually got stronger under Clark when he was recruiting coordinator and has continued.

I wonder if it has to do with the difficulty of recruiting to Southern when you have below average coaching staff's? I'd hate to imagine that Sloan is part of the problem because he never was an issue at App. If anything, App owes a lot of their success even today to what Sloan helped build through his recruiting targets.

I'm not sure how much recruiting Sloan did. Lunsford was heavily involved and our DL coach was the recruiting coordinator.

I don't think there's difficulties recruiting here at all. If anything, we're in the greatest hot spot of football talent in the country. Fritz didn't struggle with it, nor did Summers.
11-04-2021 03:24 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2021 03:24 PM)kdarnell233 Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 03:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 03:06 PM)kdarnell233 Wrote:  We already had our emotional spike game and it was against Arkansas State. We might keep it close for a little bit, but our defense is one of the worst in the nation and the offense is....well no one really knows other than it's ugly.

I'm not sure how much recruiting Sloan did. Lunsford was heavily involved and our DL coach was the recruiting coordinator.

I don't think there's difficulties recruiting here at all. If anything, we're in the greatest hot spot of football talent in the country. Fritz didn't struggle with it, nor did Summers.

So Sloan's best asset, talent identification and recruiting, was not utilized adequately?

If Helton is smart, he may do some research on Sloan, certain Sun Belt programs, and figure out how to use what he has. He's not going to have USC resources at Georgia Southern. I certainly hope he didn't give the Transfer Portal pitch to get the job either.

The Portal will be great for teams looking to fill a hole. It won't be great for teams looking to fill out a roster, at least not consistently. You'll still need high school recruiting classes to develop talent and to bring in transfers to fill gaps you may have missed on.

You'll know relatively quickly which route he is taking. If he goes Portal heavy, he's in it for a short-term pick me up. If he goes heavy on recruiting high school with spot fills in the Portal, he may be looking at 4 to 5 years hard time in the mosquito and gnat clouds of Eagle Creek.
11-04-2021 03:30 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-04-2021 03:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Sloan was a great recruiter for App. A lot of fans were wondering what App would do once he left. App's recruiting actually got stronger under Clark when he was recruiting coordinator and has continued.

We don't have a lack of talent.

We've probably managed the quantities at certain positions poorly, but I'm not worried about the talent at all. Our fans said the same thing after 2017 before we had a 10-win season.

The problem on defense is that we lost both of our 2 starting ILBs for the season early and our P5 transfers there haven't panned out, so we've been playing true fresshmen there. We lost our top corner in the first game and have gotten hit hard by the portal at safety.

On offense IMO the problem is we revamped all the position coaches and hired guys from passing offenses. Bad idea, though it could've been with the Spring FCS season getting ready to start shortly after the sseason there was limited options.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021 03:45 PM by EigenEagle.)
11-04-2021 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.