Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

16-team division structure?
Bookmark and Share
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
16-team division structure?
Realized there was not a discussion on this board regarding future division structure. I'll just throw out my preference.

East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky
North: Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Tennessee
West: Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas
South: LSU, Texas A&M, Miss St, Ole Miss

Teams play every team in their division and from a paired division (somewhat like the NFL rotation), for a preliminary total of 7 games. An 8th game is added between teams (looking at the chart above) in the same column; this 8th game may or may not be against a permanent opponent. If a 9th game is added, it'll match teams within the first 2 columns or within the last 2 columns.

If the postseason continues under current rules, then representatives from each set of paired divisions will be matched in the SEC Championship. Preference may be for the SEC to stage an East (ARL) and a West (ATL) Championship game and send both winners to the national tournament. The Atlanta Championship would consist of champions of the East and North divisions while the Arlington Championship would consist of champions of the West and South; the regular season rotation/schedule would not deviate from the above paragraph.
11-04-2021 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: 16-team division structure?
(11-04-2021 09:12 AM)Crayton Wrote:  Realized there was not a discussion on this board regarding future division structure. I'll just throw out my preference.

Teams play every team in their division and from a paired division (somewhat like the NFL rotation), for a preliminary total of 7 games. An 8th game is added between teams (looking at the chart above) in the same column; this 8th game may or may not be against a permanent opponent. If a 9th game is added, it'll match teams within the first 2 columns or within the last 2 columns.

If the postseason continues under current rules, then representatives from each set of paired divisions will be matched in the SEC Championship. Preference may be for the SEC to stage an East (ARL) and a West (ATL) Championship game and send both winners to the national tournament. The Atlanta Championship would consist of champions of the East and North divisions while the Arlington Championship would consist of champions of the West and South; the regular season rotation/schedule would not deviate from the above paragraph.

This particular set up is a favorite of mine which has been discussed many times here, and not only on this board but others. And football doesn't have tournaments. It has playoffs. And under NCAA rules semi-finals are not permitted and that is another reason for a breakaway. Under current rules rotating half divisions are permitted (what most posters call pods). So over 3 years the SEC, set up as you've shown, would rotate one each of the other 3 half divisions through Florida's schedule every 3 years rotating home and homes on the completion of each full rotation.

Also under NCAA rules you may have no more than 2 divisions. With half divisions you have only 2 divisions on any given year but the composition of the divisions changes with the rotating half divisions.

So a conference championship game is kept.

The SEC is moving to 9 conference games in the next few years.

So you should think of playing your 3 half division opponents, 3 rotating opponents, and 1 permanent rival from each half division for 9 games.
11-04-2021 09:35 AM
Dawgpile Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: State
(11-04-2021 09:12 AM)Crayton Wrote:  Realized there was not a discussion on this board regarding future division structure. I'll just throw out my preference.

For pods, this breakdown makes the most sense to me. It's fairly balanced with the lone exception being Bama/AU/Tenn/Vandy.

Oh, and there should NEVER be an 'SEC North'. "Central" is the way to go here.
11-04-2021 09:37 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(11-04-2021 09:37 AM)Dawgpile Wrote:  

For pods, this breakdown makes the most sense to me. It's fairly balanced with the lone exception being Bama/AU/Tenn/Vandy.

Oh, and there should NEVER be an 'SEC North'. "Central" is the way to go here.

This is my favorite pod set-up.

I also do not like “SEC North,” “B1G South,” “ACC West,” or “PAC East.” Anything the geographically awkward.
11-04-2021 03:57 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

9 game SEc schedule with either pods or single table format would be interesting where each team has 3 permanent rivals would keep every week in the standings exciting.

There seems to be rumors from the non SEC twitteratti that the SEC might further expand if the eight team expanded playoffs passes instead of 12. Fluge thinks the SEC will monetize conference semifinal games forcing the Big Ten to add two, like-ish minded, schools (Kansas and a Texas school (Houston)). Warren has already mentioned basketball will be a major consideration in their next move. The dude is thinking the SEC would grab the two best football brands available, WVU and Ok State.

I’m not sure why 18 would be better than 16 in that format or make the SEc members more money with OSU and WVU. If the SEC is still looking at adding more teams, I think the rumored teams that the sec supposedly reached out to after Texas and OU were announced, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State, are the more likely targets while the WVU/OSU would be better ACC combo to reopen their terrible Tv contract.

Also, would Southern Cal be worth considering if the financial costs were acceptable ?
11-05-2021 10:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-05-2021 10:47 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

9 game SEc schedule with either pods or single table format would be interesting where each team has 3 permanent rivals would keep every week in the standings exciting.

There seems to be rumors from the non SEC twitteratti that the SEC might further expand if the eight team expanded playoffs passes instead of 12. Fluge thinks the SEC will monetize conference semifinal games forcing the Big Ten to add two, like-ish minded, schools (Kansas and a Texas school (Houston)). Warren has already mentioned basketball will be a major consideration in their next move. The dude is thinking the SEC would grab the two best football brands available, WVU and Ok State.

I’m not sure why 18 would be better than 16 in that format or make the SEc members more money with OSU and WVU. If the SEC is still looking at adding more teams, I think the rumored teams that the sec supposedly reached out to after Texas and OU were announced, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State, are the more likely targets while the WVU/OSU would be better ACC combo to reopen their terrible Tv contract.

Also, would Southern Cal be worth considering if the financial costs were acceptable ?

One of two things will happen if playoffs go to 8.

1. We breakaway and form a super conference.

2. We add to basketball in a way that impedes the Big 10 (Duke, UNC, UVa) and pick up another top 10 revenue football program (Notre Dame or FSU). Why? Because we need to improve hoops revenue and keep Southern market AAU schools away from the Big 10. One more top 10 revenue football programs gives the SEC 6 of the top 10 and 12 of the top 20. This would help balance wins and losses in football while enhancing revenue and status in all money sports.
11-05-2021 11:05 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(11-05-2021 11:05 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-05-2021 10:47 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

One of two things will happen if playoffs go to 8.

1. We breakaway and form a super conference.

2. We add to basketball in a way that impedes the Big 10 (Duke, UNC, UVa) and pick up another top 10 revenue football program (Notre Dame or FSU). Why? Because we need to improve hoops revenue and keep Southern market AAU schools away from the Big 10. One more top 10 revenue football programs gives the SEC 6 of the top 10 and 12 of the top 20. This would help balance wins and losses in football while enhancing revenue and status in all money sports.

What do you think that looks like?

Anything and everything on the table?
11-06-2021 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
I would rather stay East-West or go divisionless with protected rivalries and rotating everyone else.
11-06-2021 07:09 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
I think by the time OK and Texas join, semi finals will be allowed, but if not, then I see no reason not to set up an 8+1 scheduling system.

Each teams play 8 conference games (3 in pod, 5 others) + 3 OOC games. Then on what is now "rivalry weekend" you play a 9th "conference game." Pod winners play pod winners. 2nd place plays 2nd place on a rotating basis. 3rd plays 3rd, 4th plays 4th.

Championship game the following weekend.

Positives: balances the schedule even if it may causes some repeat matchups (avoid if possible, i.e instead of pod winner A playing B a second time, they play C.) 4th place vs 4th place may lead to "battle for a bowl game" "bracket buster" type competitions.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 11:14 PM by Soobahk40050.)
11-06-2021 11:12 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-06-2021 11:12 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  I think by the time OK and Texas join, semi finals will be allowed, but if not, then I see no reason not to set up an 8+1 scheduling system.

Each teams play 8 conference games (3 in pod, 5 others) + 3 OOC games. Then on what is now "rivalry weekend" you play a 9th "conference game." Pod winners play pod winners. 2nd place plays 2nd place on a rotating basis. 3rd plays 3rd, 4th plays 4th.

Positives: balances the schedule even if it may causes some repeat matchups (avoid if possible, i.e instead of pod winner A playing B a second time, they play C.) 4th place vs 4th place may lead to "battle for a bowl game" "bracket buster" type competitions.

Semi finals would be another reason to breakaway. SEC Semis would be wort another 6o - 70 million to the conference and the NCAA is the only rules obstacle to it. And you should note ESPN is using SEC mouthpieces to push for it.

A breakaway would allow ESPN to build a league without contractual interference. Compliance with court decisions (like NIL and perhaps next Summer pay for play) would allow all schools a pass on their current conferences, GOR's, exit fees, etc., by precedent.

What I'm about to list is purely speculative but such a league could look like this:

North: Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Plains: Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas
Southwest: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M
Southeast: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, South Carolina
Atlantic: Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State, Tennessee, Virginia
Pacific: Arizona, Colorado, California Los Angeles, Oregon, Washington, Utah

*Working with but separate:
Privates:
Baylor, Duke, Miami, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Southern Cal, Stanford, T.C.U., Tulane, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest

I doubt you would get that much compliance and likely if the SEC broke away with some ACC schools and perhaps a couple more from the B12 you would see the Big 10 and PAC form a league as well. It's uncharted territory so who knows? I do know there are schools elsewhere which would be interested at the revenue levels mentioned in the 110-120 million range, but they likely will never publicly reveal their interest and may like forming one they had more control in forming. We'll see.

But if there is a breakaway from the NCAA there are half a dozen or so hoops brands which would be profitable to consider.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2021 12:07 AM by JRsec.)
11-06-2021 11:59 PM
Advertisement

Porcine Offline
1st String

(11-06-2021 11:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-06-2021 11:12 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  I think by the time OK and Texas join, semi finals will be allowed, but if not, then I see no reason not to set up an 8+1 scheduling system.

Semi finals would be another reason to breakaway. SEC Semis would be wort another 6o - 70 million to the conference and the NCAA is the only rules obstacle to it. And you should note ESPN is using SEC mouthpieces to push for it.

A breakaway would allow ESPN to build a league without contractual interference. Compliance with court decisions (like NIL and perhaps next Summer pay for play) would allow all schools a pass on their current conferences, GOR's, exit fees, etc., by precedent.

What I'm about to list is purely speculative but such a league could look like this:

Southwest: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M

Privates:
Baylor, Duke, Miami, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Southern Cal, Stanford, T.C.U., Tulane, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest

I doubt you would get that much compliance and likely if the SEC broke away with some ACC schools and perhaps a couple more from the B12 you would see the Big 10 and PAC form a league as well. It's uncharted territory so who knows? I do know there are schools elsewhere which would be interested at the revenue levels mentioned in the 110-120 million range, but they likely will never publicly reveal their interest and may like forming one they had more control in forming. We'll see.

But if there is a breakaway from the NCAA there are half a dozen or so hoops brands which would be profitable to consider.

Some of us on another site were talking about this very thing happening.
11-07-2021 12:09 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-07-2021 12:09 AM)Porcine Wrote:  

Privates:

Yes, a playoff could take the 6 divisional champs, the private champ and 5 at large with the top 4 seeds drawing a bye and play it off.

The idea was first floated by John McKay and Bear Bryant in the early 70's but travel costs would have been high compared to low TV revenue in the day.

Some form of it has been floating around among AD's, sports writers and now bloggers. But lately what gives it legs are the TV execs who have floated revenue estimates which would make it much more profitable and therefore possible.

I feel the SEC would be the easiest framework to build around because we are in the richest recruiting region, especially if adding Texas (state), and because we have the best attendance and the highest % of actual viewers/possible viewers. Therefore tying in top schools from the rest of the nation gives the league games national interest no matter who is playing.

I think this happens eventually whether it happens in the next 10-15 years or not.
11-07-2021 12:24 AM
Porcine Offline
1st String

(11-07-2021 12:24 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-07-2021 12:09 AM)Porcine Wrote:  

Privates:

Yes, a playoff could take the 6 divisional champs, the private champ and 5 at large with the top 4 seeds drawing a bye and play it off.

The idea was first floated by John McKay and Bear Bryant in the early 70's but travel costs would have been high compared to low TV revenue in the day.

Some form of it has been floating around among AD's, sports writers and now bloggers. But lately what gives it legs are the TV execs who have floated revenue estimates which would make it much more profitable and therefore possible.

I feel the SEC would be the easiest framework to build around because we are in the richest recruiting region, especially if adding Texas (state), and because we have the best attendance and the highest % of actual viewers/possible viewers. Therefore tying in top schools from the rest of the nation gives the league games national interest no matter who is playing.

I think this happens eventually whether it happens in the next 10-15 years or not.

I wonder if they all the way to a minor league. They wouldn't have any connection to the school except for branding.
11-07-2021 12:38 AM
Advertisement

AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
Honestly the pods seem kinda weird in the East division.

9 conference games
West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
East
Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
Kentucky
Florida
12-06-2021 04:19 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(12-06-2021 04:19 AM)AuzGrams Wrote:  Honestly the pods seem kinda weird in the East division.

9 conference games
West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
East
Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
South Carolina
Florida

FIFY
12-06-2021 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.