https://twitter.com/caafootball/status/1...85377?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-01-2021 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tribe Football Honors
I sorta thought we'd be higher than #21. But at this point we control our own destiny, so the rankings don't really matter
11-01-2021 09:03 AM
Tribal Offline

Tribe Football Honors
(11-01-2021 09:03 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I sorta thought we'd be higher than #21. But at this point we control our own destiny, so the rankings don't really matter

I did, too, especially since the loss dropped Villanova so far. I don’t get the Ivy League infatuation in these polls but, like you said, win and the rest will sort out.

11-01-2021 09:16 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
We have a bad loss. I think we can beat the rest of the opponents, but we can't look past this week.
11-01-2021 09:25 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
How can you beat Villanova on the road, have the same conference record and overall record as Villanova, but still be ranked below Villanova? I guess that a road victory at JMU trumps a home loss to the Tribe in the minds of the voters, presuming they have minds to begin with.
11-01-2021 09:29 AM
Advertisement

TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
FWIW, I believe the STATS and FCS polls are being used for ranking matchups, not just Haley’s/Athlon’s specific poll, think of those rankings as power rankings.

Also, Nate Lynn should have 2 DPOTW’s, him having 3 sacks and 2 FFs last week vs Towson was not good enough, apparently.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 09:48 AM by TribePride52.)
11-01-2021 09:47 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I think Maine is a better team than people give them credit for as well, there's a decent shot they win out and finish 7-4. They started the season slow, so I think in a lot of people's minds they're still a bad team.
11-01-2021 09:50 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(11-01-2021 09:29 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  How can you beat Villanova on the road, have the same conference record and overall record as Villanova, but still be ranked below Villanova? I guess that a road victory at JMU trumps a home loss to the Tribe in the minds of the voters, presuming they have minds to begin with.

I think the FCS polls don’t put enough weight on more recent results, unlike the FBS polls or some of the computer generated models. Seriously, how many losses does it take before they yank a Delaware or New Hampshire out of the top 25!

If you look at the full season for Villanova, their performance looks better on paper. They mauled URI and their PL opponents and played better at Penn State than we did at Virginia.

I have no issue with Villanova remaining top 10, I agree we should be closer to a 12-16 than a 21.

Gives us more to prove at Delaware.
11-01-2021 09:58 AM
Zorch Online
All American

(11-01-2021 09:25 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  We have a bad loss. I think we can beat the rest of the opponents, but we can't look past this week.

Yes, not only did the loss to Maine hurt but when it happened also hurt a lot. We were just outside the Top 25 at that time. The loss set us way back and it took the win over Towson just to get back to that same level. A win over Maine and then the subsequent wins over Towson and 'Nova and we would probably be inside the top ten right now (or, at worst, just outside the Top 10).

Normally a CAA Champion would easily be one of the four top seeds and get a first round bye....but it is possible this year that even if the Tribe wins out to win the conference that we wouldn't be ranked in the top four if not enough teams ahead of us lose games. I'd like to think that wins (hopefully!) over JMU and 'Nova would be enough to propel the Tribe into the top four but, with these voters, you never know.
11-01-2021 10:05 AM
Tribal Offline

Tribe Football Honors
#23 in the Coaches Poll

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/f...aches-poll

11-01-2021 10:05 AM
Advertisement

TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Lol. Baffling to me that Delaware is still even getting votes.

Maine got 6 votes, and Villanova falls to 13.
11-01-2021 10:09 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

(11-01-2021 10:05 AM)Zorch Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 09:25 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  We have a bad loss. I think we can beat the rest of the opponents, but we can't look past this week.

Yes, not only did the loss to Maine hurt but when it happened also hurt a lot. We were just outside the Top 25 at that time. The loss set us way back and it took the win over Towson just to get back to that same level. A win over Maine and then the subsequent wins over Towson and 'Nova and we would probably be inside the top ten right now (or, at worst, just outside the Top 10).

Normally a CAA Champion would easily be one of the four top seeds and get a first round bye....but it is possible this year that even if the Tribe wins out to win the conference that we wouldn't be ranked in the top four if not enough teams ahead of us lose games. I'd like to think that wins (hopefully!) over JMU and 'Nova would be enough to propel the Tribe into the top four but, with these voters, you never know.

I think that the top 8 get first round byes and then get to host a game in the round of 16.
11-01-2021 10:12 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(11-01-2021 10:09 AM)TribePride52 Wrote:  Lol. Baffling to me that Delaware is still even getting votes.

Maine got 6 votes, and Villanova falls to 13.

I agree it's baffling, but I'll take it. Better for us if our opponents are ranked/getting votes.
11-01-2021 10:13 AM
Zorch Online
All American

(11-01-2021 10:12 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

I think that the top 8 get first round byes and then get to host a game in the round of 16.

True about the bye....but a team needs to be in the top 4 seeds to have any chance at all. One of the accompanying articles on that site said that only the top 2 seeds (all games at home until the final in Frisco) have made the finals for the last 4-5 years or so.
11-01-2021 10:23 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

(11-01-2021 10:23 AM)Zorch Wrote:  

True about the bye....but a team needs to be in the top 4 seeds to have any chance at all. One of the accompanying articles on that site said that only the top 2 seeds (all games at home until the final in Frisco) have made the finals for the last 4-5 years or so.

Agree about the importance of a Top 4 seed. More than anything, this is a lot of fun to be having any discussions about playoffs at this point of the season. I think, in fact, that I hear Jim Mora screaming in my ear as I type. Let's just go get another big road victory at Delaware on Saturday and the excitement level will really grow.
11-01-2021 10:37 AM
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

(11-01-2021 10:23 AM)Zorch Wrote:  

Just looked it up out of curiosity.

Spring 2021: 1 v 2
2019: 1 v 2
2018: 1 v 3
2017: 1 v 2
2016: 4 v Unseeded
2015: 1 v 3
2014: 2 v 5
2013: 2 v 7
2012: 1 v Unseeded

It's a small sample size, but I wonder if the top end of the FCS. has pulled ahead a little more in recent years, 2012-2016 was a lot less predictable than 2017-Present. On the other hand, I guess you could concede that they've done a pretty solid job seeding teams.
11-01-2021 10:39 AM
tribe_pride Offline
1st String

Plus note that seeding can be different than the rankings that come out. Done by different groups.
11-01-2021 10:47 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

We were not a top 4 seed in either 2004 or 2009 when we made it to the semi finals. I seem to recall that we did get a top 4 seed one year after 2009 and then ended up laying a bit of an egg at home in a quarterfinal game. I want to say that it was Georgia Southern and their triple option that ran us into the ground in the second half.
11-01-2021 11:02 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

This article points out we've clinched our first winning season in 6 years (since 2015), so that's something at least. https://www.afca.com/fcs-poll-william-ma...e-in-2021/

I remember going to that playoff game that season @ Richmond with a group of friends, WM fans probably outnumbered Richmond fans in their stadium, but that didn't seem to help much...
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 11:04 AM by TDenverFan.)
11-01-2021 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.