Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Possible MAC expansion heating up? ... (or not)
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Possible MAC expansion heating up? ... (or not)
Picked this up off the CUSA board ...

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/14...age-9.html

Don't know how reliable Thamel is. Others may. He says it's about WKU and MTSU joining the MAC. Earlier in he day (or day before) the UMass AD said publicly they're staying in the A10 and looking for a football-only conference (please, not the MAC). Bamford did not mention any conferences.

Here's the link to that one, if you're interested (video):
https://twitter.com/UMassAthletics/statu...age-9.html

Anyway, this may be a whole new turn of events, so thought it worth it's own thread.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 09:17 PM by pvk75.)
10-31-2021 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
RE: Possible MAC expansion heating up? ... (or not)
Thanks for highlighting this w the new thread.

This link provides some good back story on why those 2 schools are available.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/10/29/22752...-to-follow

I found the quote about Marshall being a middle of the pack sun belt team interesting. I think that marshall football [/align]movie makes them feel more like ND (think Rudy) and better than MAC and Conf. Usa.
10-31-2021 09:21 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(10-31-2021 09:06 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Picked this up off the CUSA board ...

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/14...age-9.html

Don't know how reliable Thamel is. Others may. He says it's about WKU and MTSU joining the MAC. Earlier in he day (or day before) the UMass AD said publicly they're staying in the A10 and looking for a football-only conference (please, not the MAC). Bamford did not mention any conferences.

Here's the link to that one, if you're interested (video):
https://twitter.com/UMassAthletics/statu...age-9.html

Anyway, this may be a whole new turn of events, so thought it worth it's own thread.

How does UMass market themselves as an option to better a conference if they're intent on only going as a football-only school?

I mean...I suppose it guarantees everyone else in the conference an surefire win (unless, for some reason, Connecticut is also a part of the expansion). Otherwise, is the Boston market (for UMASS football) that much of a value that a conference would take them? And, if so, why hasn't any other conferences been trying to lure them in?
10-31-2021 09:49 PM
Advertisement

Dtownboys Offline
1st String

I’ve been speculating on this for a while. It would decimate the CUSA unless they add several FCS plus the independent teams to get to 8+. If they add UConn, NMSU, and Liberty they’d need at least 2 more. Speculation is Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State might move up. We’ll soon see.

How would divisions look if MAC adds these two?
10-31-2021 09:49 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

There's a growing thread on divisions on the main csnbbs_MAC board. Anyone can go to the top of our board, to Active Boards, and it ill get to the main csnbbs menu. From there it's CSNbbs / Active Boards / MACbbs / Mid-American Conference Talk. Fyi.

Of course, there's no reason we can't have our own right here.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 09:56 PM by pvk75.)
10-31-2021 09:54 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(10-31-2021 09:49 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  I’ve been speculating on this for a while. It would decimate the CUSA unless they add several FCS plus the independent teams to get to 8+. If they add UConn, NMSU, and Liberty they’d need at least 2 more. Speculation is Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State might move up. We’ll soon see.

I'm guessing NMSU would also be a football-only add? Seems like, if you got NMSU, you'd definitely want their basketball program but they are part of the WAC, which just added a bunch of really good teams (to go along with NMSU and Grand Canyon) so I'm not certain they'd be on board to go full membership (especially considering the travel expenses).

Anyway, as I'm looking at it, assuming WKU and MTSU go to the MAC. That would leave C-USA with 3 teams: FIU, Louisiana Tech, and UTEP.

Seems like, FIU and Louisiana Tech missed the boat on the Sun Belt. And I'd think UTEP would be doing almost anything they can to figure out how to join the Mountain West (I'm pretty ceratain El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone too).
10-31-2021 09:59 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(10-31-2021 09:49 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  I’ve been speculating on this for a while. It would decimate the CUSA unless they add several FCS plus the independent teams to get to 8+. If they add UConn, NMSU, and Liberty they’d need at least 2 more. Speculation is Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State might move up. We’ll soon see.

Btw, Sam Houston State just changed conferences this year. I'm not sure how long that deal would last, but it seems like they're happy to be in the WAC with that new expansion.
10-31-2021 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Big Redd Offline
Special Teams

I’d like them to keep the divisions simple and add MTSU & WKY to the West since they’re in the central time zone and move Toledo to the East to be with BG and the other Ohio schools.

A concern could be the cultural fit given these are more southerners type schools which fits some of the Ohio MAC schools better than it does the West. I’m sure they’ll manage to screw us travel wise.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 10:49 PM by Big Redd.)
10-31-2021 10:48 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(10-31-2021 09:59 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I'm guessing NMSU would also be a football-only add? Seems like, if you got NMSU, you'd definitely want their basketball program but they are part of the WAC, which just added a bunch of really good teams (to go along with NMSU and Grand Canyon) so I'm not certain they'd be on board to go full membership (especially considering the travel expenses).

Anyway, as I'm looking at it, assuming WKU and MTSU go to the MAC. That would leave C-USA with 3 teams: FIU, Louisiana Tech, and UTEP.

Seems like, FIU and Louisiana Tech missed the boat on the Sun Belt. And I'd think UTEP would be doing almost anything they can to figure out how to join the Mountain West (I'm pretty ceratain El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone too).

La Tech was blocked by the other La schools is what I read. FIU burned bridges I’m guessing. Utep just isn’t a good fit but should end up ok when Boise eventually leaves the MW. I’d expect the FCS schools to save the CUSA if all this happens.
10-31-2021 10:59 PM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(10-31-2021 09:59 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I was surprised that UTEP wasn't asked to go to the Mountain West when they broke from the WAC. I could understand it if a lack of a strong football program was a criteria, but then they asked UNLV to join the Mountain West? So that couldn't be it.

UTEP always was at least a top 6 seed in the NCAA hoops tourney every year. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 09:17 AM by Schaefer Beer.)
11-01-2021 12:55 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Am really excited for us and the MAC ... IF If if -- WKU and MTSU are added. It wouldn't hurt the MAC outside of football season to get a rep as a regular two-bid NCAA tournament(s) conference. Of course the "big three" are 1) football, 2) mbb, and 3) wbb, and attendance is important for all. But with bball indoors and much of the MAC having real winter, it can be a real booster for locals, especially on-campus outside the weekend suitcase exodus. "New blood: might shake off some of the rust and dust. (Just stating the obvious.)
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 09:59 AM by pvk75.)
11-01-2021 09:58 AM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(11-01-2021 09:58 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  Am really excited for us and the MAC ... IF If if -- WKU and MTSU are added. It wouldn't hurt the MAC outside of football season to get a rep as a regular two-bid NCAA tournament(s) conference. Of course the "big three" are 1) football, 2) mbb, and 3) wbb, and attendance is important for all. But with bball indoors and much of the MAC having real winter, it can be a real booster for locals, especially on-campus outside the weekend suitcase exodus. "New blood: might shake off some of the rust and dust. (Just stating the obvious.)

Sounds like it’s a done deal. Will wait for the announcement but it’s been leaked all over.
11-01-2021 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.