Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - World Series
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
OT - World Series
The Braves looked fairly dominant in Game 1, but losing Charlie Morton could be a huge blow. Then again, the Astros starting pitchers have been pretty bad at times in the 2021 postseason too, so maybe this Series comes down to whose bullpen is more effective.

A couple of interesting WS notes. Houston is now 0-4 all-time in Game 1's of the World Series. And since last year was played on a neutral site, you have to go back to Game 3 of the 2018 World Series to find the last time a home team won a game in the Fall Classic.

The other interesting thing about this event to me is that it's likely the games in Atlanta will be the last ones in baseball history that will feature a starting pitcher batting in the initial line-up (since the universal DH is likely coming to the MLB in 2022). Although I suppose you may get an occasional pitcher batting (not counting Shohei Ohtani, who is in a different league altogether).
10-27-2021 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question RE: OT - World Series
Houston's got a pretty darn good team. This series has been quite entertaining so far.
10-28-2021 05:00 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
RE: OT - World Series
(10-27-2021 06:12 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The other interesting thing about this event to me is that it's likely the games in Atlanta will be the last ones in baseball history that will feature a starting pitcher batting in the initial line-up (since the universal DH is likely coming to the MLB in 2022). Although I suppose you may get an occasional pitcher batting (not counting Shohei Ohtani, who is in a different league altogether).

I'm a fan of the NL because pitchers bat. Obviously this is the way the game has been played forever (except recently by the AL). Why is there such a movement to change the game?

Also, I don't like most of the recent innovations to the game, like instant replay. And I hate that the Astros are now an AL team!
10-29-2021 09:24 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-29-2021 09:24 AM)grol Wrote:  I'm a fan of the NL because pitchers bat. Obviously this is the way the game has been played forever (except recently by the AL). Why is there such a movement to change the game?
Also, I don't like most of the recent innovations to the game, like instant replay. And I hate that the Astros are now an AL team!

I am okay with the DH. I learned to live with it when I worked with the Rangers TV in the early 1990s. The one thing I didn't like is that, for some reason, games with the DH seemed to last for-EV-er.

I do hate that the Astros are now an AL team. Since MLB is going to expand to 32 teams some time in the near future, I would propose that they do it by adding 2 teams to the AL and moving the Astros back to the NL. I would really like to see a recreation of the old NL West, with newer additions, my favorite division in which the Astros have ever competed--SF, LA, SD, Houston, Cincinnati, Atlanta, add AZ and CO. NL East could be recreated too--Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Mets, Washington, Miami. I understand that the argument could be made that Cincinnati and Atlanta belong in the east. But the problem is that you really need to keep Cubs, St. Louis, and Milwaukee together, and they pretty much have to be in the east for that to work.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 11:32 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-29-2021 09:45 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-29-2021 09:45 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-29-2021 09:24 AM)grol Wrote:  I'm a fan of the NL because pitchers bat. Obviously this is the way the game has been played forever (except recently by the AL). Why is there such a movement to change the game?
Also, I don't like most of the recent innovations to the game, like instant replay.

I am okay with the DH. I learned to live with it when I worked with the Rangers TV in the early 1990s.

Baseball seems to be the sport whose fans are the most resistant to change. In football we have the two point conversion and OT, not to mention annual changes in rules such as fair catches. In basketball, we have the three point arc.

Personally, I just want something exciting to watch.
10-29-2021 10:28 AM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2021 09:24 AM)grol Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 06:12 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The other interesting thing about this event to me is that it's likely the games in Atlanta will be the last ones in baseball history that will feature a starting pitcher batting in the initial line-up (since the universal DH is likely coming to the MLB in 2022). Although I suppose you may get an occasional pitcher batting (not counting Shohei Ohtani, who is in a different league altogether).

I'm a fan of the NL because pitchers bat. Obviously this is the way the game has been played forever (except recently by the AL). Why is there such a movement to change the game?

Agree on all. Now get off of my lawn!
10-29-2021 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
The Astros were in the National League for 52 seasons and won a total of one pennant (7 division titles and 2 additional wild card playoff appearances). The Astros have been in the American League for 9 seasons, and have won 3 pennants, four division titles and 2 additional wild card appearances).

I know it's fashionable to complain about the move to the American League, but does anyone believe that the Astros' run the past 5 seasons might not have happened if they had remained in the National League?
10-29-2021 03:29 PM
erice Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans Bowl
I hate the fact that the Astros are in the AL too, 99% of the time.

But the one silver lining is that, when they make it to the World Series, they're now playing against the teams I watched them play against when I grew up. Which is fun to watch.

(Except the Nats. I'm not that old. Nor are the Astros.)
10-29-2021 03:38 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-29-2021 03:38 PM)erice Wrote:  I hate the fact that the Astros are in the AL too, 99% of the time.

But the one silver lining is that, when they make it to the World Series, they're now playing against the teams I watched them play against when I grew up. Which is fun to watch.

(Except the Nats. I'm not that old. Nor are the Astros.)

+1
10-29-2021 07:52 PM
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
Braves throwing a no hitter thru 6.

Again. No hitter thru 6. Hope the Braves bullpen heard that.
10-29-2021 09:35 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2021 09:35 PM)seniorowl Wrote:  Braves throwing a no hitter thru 6.

Again. No hitter thru 6. Hope the Braves bullpen heard that.

Thru 7 now. Stros have managed 3 walks and a HBP.

And pinch hitter Diaz breaks up the no-no to lead off the T8.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 10:14 PM by Tomball Owl.)
10-29-2021 09:59 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

That was a hulluva game right there. About as exciting for both teams as you can get. Braves edge ahead barely, but Series is still very much anybody's to win. What you want from a fan perspective is two evenly-matched teams duking it out to the end. What a sport!

Edit:
Nice touch:

[Image: 617c925893237.image.jpg]
Astros manager Dusty Baker had hitting coach Troy Snitker go to the plate to exchange lineup cards with his dad, Braves manager Brian Snitker before Game 3 of 2021 World Series.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2021 12:51 AM by GoodOwl.)
10-29-2021 11:17 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(10-29-2021 03:29 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The Astros were in the National League for 52 seasons and won a total of one pennant (7 division titles and 2 additional wild card playoff appearances). The Astros have been in the American League for 9 seasons, and have won 3 pennants, four division titles and 2 additional wild card appearances).

I know it's fashionable to complain about the move to the American League, but does anyone believe that the Astros' run the past 5 seasons might not have happened if they had remained in the National League?

New ownership. I'm guessing their plan to rebuild would have been just as successful in the NL.

"Fashionable?"
10-30-2021 10:21 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

These teams are so evenly matched. Makes for an exciting series, but frazzles the nerves of fans from both sides. Very tough game for either team to lose. Both played very well, and game was so close. Rosario's catch was one of the most amazing I've seen. Backhanded. He's going to get a great contract next year for someone. Soler was great as well. Again, Alex Anthropolous did suck a great job at trade deadline. All the players he picked up were available to any team, but AA made sure they became Braves this year. Most not so heralded, but sometimes the flashy players aren't the ones that make the best team.

Brian Snitker has done an outstanding job of managing his depleted resources. It will be difficult to win tomorrow, but we;ll see what happens. If it goes back to Houston, Astros have a good chance, but the pressure is on them to now win 3 in a row. I don;t think many expected the Braves to be here or hang in there so well against a fearsome Astros team that is well-balanced and prepared. Braves definitely showed they deserved to be NL champs and be here. Even if Braves somehow lose it, they've been amazing and very fun to watch and root for.
10-30-2021 11:15 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Last week of October is a really bad time to have a team hitting slump.
10-30-2021 11:20 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Dusty Baker should not be managing a Rookie League team. Stevie Wonder could see that Bregman is not healthy, cannot hit, and cannot run.
10-30-2021 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(10-30-2021 11:22 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Dusty Baker should not be managing a Rookie League team. Stevie Wonder could see that Bregman is not healthy, cannot hit, and cannot run.

Not really Dusty's fault. He's done a good job managing his team. Braves just a lot better so far than anyone believed. Braves bullpen holding as their pitching thins. Who thought Kyle Wright would come in and get out of first then pitch several clutch innings after his last years' debacle against Dogers? Astros just have to win tomorrow to go send it back to their home. This is not a done deal yet. Teams very evenly matched.
10-30-2021 11:38 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Dusty has done a good job, but he absolutely needs to move Bregman out of the 3rd spot in the batting lineup. I know Tucker hasn't batted that high before, but I'd switch Bregman and Tucker in the lineup. Or maybe I'd move Altuve there so you don't have 3 lefties in a row (but then who do you bat leadoff?).

I also don't understand why the Astros aren't running more on the basepaths. d'Arnaud can't throw out anyone.

And it's not over yet. I thought the Astros were done after game 3 in Boston, but they shocked the hell out of me with how they bounced back from that deficit.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 07:41 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-31-2021 06:34 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2021 06:34 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I also don't understand why the Astros aren't running more on the basepaths. d'Arnaud can't throw out anyone.

They'd have to get on base first.
10-31-2021 08:45 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-31-2021 08:45 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(10-31-2021 06:34 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I also don't understand why the Astros aren't running more on the basepaths. d'Arnaud can't throw out anyone.
They'd have to get on base first.

They actually got on base enough last night, as opposed to the night before. Last night, it was bringing them around that was a problem. They weren't a big base stealing team all year. They had 53 SBs, 27th in MLB, during the regular season.
10-31-2021 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.