Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southern Miss fan here - posting for the first time (NOLA Bowl Question)
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Southern Miss fan here - posting for the first time (NOLA Bowl Question)
How's it going everybody? Thanks for having us. We're excited to be here! What room are we sleeping in? Where should we park the car? Is there continental breakfast? 04-cheers
Seriously though, I have a question about the SBC's bowl tie-ins. My understanding is the NOLA Bowl used to be the SBC Champion vs CUSA. Obviously this has changed over the years, and ESPN can pretty much do what they want with it...but what will become of the NOLA Bowl? It's primarily a SBC-based bowl right? What are the odds that the SBC can attract a P5 school as it's opponent? Perhaps someone from the PAC12? New Orleans is a destination town and it seems like a P5 conference from a different part of the country would be intrigued by having a tie-in with a SBC Champion in the Superdome? It would really be awesome if somehow the NOLA Bowl can do what the Liberty Bowl used to do w/ CUSA. CUSA used to be the top notch NON-BCS conference...and it's champion was always paired with a fellow non-BCS champion and in later years an SEC team.
10-26-2021 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Southern Miss fan here - posting for the first time (NOLA Bowl Question)
(10-26-2021 11:14 AM)TTT Wrote:  How's it going everybody? Thanks for having us. We're excited to be here! What room are we sleeping in? Where should we park the car? Is there continental breakfast? 04-cheers
Seriously though, I have a question about the SBC's bowl tie-ins. My understanding is the NOLA Bowl used to be the SBC Champion vs CUSA. Obviously this has changed over the years, and ESPN can pretty much do what they want with it...but what will become of the NOLA Bowl? It's primarily a SBC-based bowl right? What are the odds that the SBC can attract a P5 school as it's opponent? Perhaps someone from the PAC12? New Orleans is a destination town and it seems like a P5 conference from a different part of the country would be intrigued by having a tie-in with a SBC Champion in the Superdome? It would really be awesome if somehow the NOLA Bowl can do what the Liberty Bowl used to do w/ CUSA. CUSA used to be the top notch NON-BCS conference...and it's champion was always paired with a fellow non-BCS champion and in later years an SEC team.

The NO Bowl is still, generally speaking, an SBC vs. CUSA matchup.

What changed from the last set of bowl tie-ins is that ESPN gets the first choice for one of their bowls. New Orleans (not an ESPN bowl) gets the second pick of SBC schools.

But now, an SBC school can be sent anywhere by ESPN for a bowl they own. Louisiana went to the First Responder Bowl last year which is not normally a Sun Belt tie in.

New Orleans has a great relationship with the Sun Belt and will continue to do so.
10-26-2021 11:20 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
If the SBC champions doesn’t make the playoffs(when it expands to 12) I don’t want our champ playing a 6 or 7 seed from a “P5” conference. That doesn’t do anything for us.i want our champ to play another champ or 2 seed. Now our 3 seed playing 7 or 8 seed from a “P5” would be greatly desired.
10-26-2021 11:29 AM
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
I love the NO Bowl and hope one day to see Astate win one (Along with the Independence Bowl).
10-26-2021 11:29 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It would be cool if the New Orleans Bowl became a SBC Champ VS MAC Champ match up.
10-26-2021 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I imagine the NO Bowl may eventually be SBC vs. AAC or vs. a P5 school. CUSA's tie-ins may become weaker.
10-26-2021 12:02 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(10-26-2021 11:55 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  It would be cool if the New Orleans Bowl became a SBC Champ VS MAC Champ match up.

I think NO Bowl gets second pick of SBC teams. New Orleans Bowl (SBC #2) vs MWC #2 would be fantastic. I'd even like to see MWC #3 or MAC #1-3 or CUSA #1

ESPN Pool #1
New Orleans Bowl #2
ESPN Pool #3
Mobile Bowl #4
ESPN Pool #5 or #6 if applicable.

Or am I complete talking out my GaSo?
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 12:04 PM by Yosef Himself.)
10-26-2021 12:02 PM
Advertisement

All Dukes_All Day Online
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Are there specific tie ins for the Sun Belt outside of the New Orleans and Mobile bowls? I thought the SBC was also affiliated with the Myrtle Beach, Boca Raton and Cure Bowls.
10-26-2021 12:31 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-26-2021 11:20 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 11:14 AM)TTT Wrote:  How's it going everybody? Thanks for having us. We're excited to be here! What room are we sleeping in? Where should we park the car? Is there continental breakfast? 04-cheers

The NO Bowl is still, generally speaking, an SBC vs. CUSA matchup.

What changed from the last set of bowl tie-ins is that ESPN gets the first choice for one of their bowls. New Orleans (not an ESPN bowl) gets the second pick of SBC schools.

But now, an SBC school can be sent anywhere by ESPN for a bowl they own. Louisiana went to the First Responder Bowl last year which is not normally a Sun Belt tie in.

New Orleans has a great relationship with the Sun Belt and will continue to do so.

I didn't realize we are actually the closest school to the HQ. I always thought UL was a little closer.
10-26-2021 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(10-26-2021 12:31 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Are there specific tie ins for the Sun Belt outside of the New Orleans and Mobile bowls? I thought the SBC was also affiliated with the Myrtle Beach, Boca Raton and Cure Bowls.

I think Myrtle, Camellia, and the Cure Bowl are all now apart of the ESPN Bowl Pool. Myrtle being at the home of a member school probably keeps the SBC pegged to that bowl unless something weird happens in season. Only two guaranteed landing spots are New Orleans and Mobile. The other bowl slots are all ESPN pool
10-26-2021 12:36 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
One thing I won’t miss about CUSA bowl season is the possibility of going to the Hawaii and/or Bahamas bowls. Based off our past 2 seasons that obviously wasn’t an option but in years we are eligible those 2 are killer for fans who want to travel.
10-26-2021 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.