Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tomorrow is a sad day in CUSA history. End of an era.
Bookmark and Share
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
Tomorrow is a sad day in CUSA history. End of an era.
Tomorrow Southern Miss is announcing their departure.

Southern Miss is the last of the original 1.0's to leave the conference. (UTEP is the last of CUSA 2.0.)

On one hand, it's a good day for Southern Miss, who have taken control of their future. OTOH, its a very sad day for CUSA.

It's not unreasonable to conclude that it was the departure of Southern Miss that led to Marshall and ODU leaving (and Liberty not joining). In essence, it can be argued that USM leaving was an even bigger blow than the 'AAC 6' leaving - considering what CUSA can do to replenish.

However, Southern Miss has put in 25 years of equity into a Conference USA brand, so you can't fault them for that. It's still a sad day. End of an era.

UTEP is now the conference elder.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 12:02 AM by TroyTBoy.)
10-26-2021 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
RE: Tomorrow is a sad day in CUSA history. End of an era.
(10-26-2021 12:01 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  Tomorrow Southern Miss is announcing their departure.

Southern Miss is the last of the original 1.0's to leave the conference. (UTEP is the last of CUSA 2.0.)

On one hand, it's a good day for Southern Miss, who have taken control of their future. OTOH, its a very sad day for CUSA.

It's not unreasonable to conclude that it was the departure of Southern Miss that led to Marshall and ODU leaving (and Liberty not joining). In essence, it can be argued that USM leaving was an even bigger blow than the 'AAC 6' leaving - considering what CUSA can do to replenish.

However, Southern Miss has put in 25 years of equity into a Conference USA brand, so you can't fault them for that. It's still a sad day. End of an era.

UTEP is now the conference elder.

It was time. Southern Miss needed a change. They were tired of Conference USA always being raided every time there was movement among the conferences. The league no longer has Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida, or Tulane. And now, UAB is leaving. Every former member that Southern Miss could've ever cared about is gone. They have surveyed the landscape, and in this time, the Sun Belt provides greater incentives than whatever Conference USA could possibly put together. I don't think anyone could blame them.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 12:24 AM by All4One.)
10-26-2021 12:23 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
(10-26-2021 12:23 AM)All4One Wrote:  It was time. Southern Miss needed a change. They were tired of Conference USA always being raided every time there was movement among the conferences. The league no longer has Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida, or Tulane. And now, UAB is leaving. Every former member that Southern Miss could've ever cared about is gone.

I certainly don't deny that. Southern Miss made some great rivals in CUSA - who for some reason or another left.
If I remember correctly, I believe in 2004ish they knocked off TCU just as they were having a perfect season... and then TCU left...
I think in 2006ish they played Houston in the CUSA Championship, lost that game, and they were pissed because Houston boo'd The Pride of Mississippi at halftime. Then, USM got revenge when they knocked Houston and Case Keenum out of the Sugar Bowl by winning the CUSA Championship in 2011.
Then, Houston was out the door the next year.
So many memories... This has to be bittersweet for Southern Miss.

As an aside, I see someone posted the video of The Pride of Mississippi getting boo'd during the CUSA Championship game. You can't hear the boos too clearly but the Southern Miss fans can be heard reacting to it. I hope USM fans have as many good times, memories and rivalries in the Sunbelt. They had a lot of them in CUSA.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 01:06 AM by TroyTBoy.)
10-26-2021 01:02 AM
eagle83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-26-2021 01:02 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 12:23 AM)All4One Wrote:  It was time. Southern Miss needed a change. They were tired of Conference USA always being raided every time there was movement among the conferences. The league no longer has Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida, or Tulane. And now, UAB is leaving. Every former member that Southern Miss could've ever cared about is gone.

I certainly don't deny that. Southern Miss made some great rivals in CUSA - who for some reason or another left.
If I remember correctly, I believe in 2004ish they knocked off TCU just as they were having a perfect season... and then TCU left...
I think in 2006ish they played Houston in the CUSA Championship, lost that game, and they were pissed because Houston boo'd The Pride of Mississippi at halftime. Then, USM got revenge when they knocked Houston and Case Keenum out of the Sugar Bowl by winning the CUSA Championship in 2011.

As an aside, I see someone posted the video of The Pride of Mississippi getting boo'd during the CUSA Championship game. You can't hear the boos too clearly but the Southern Miss fans can be heard reacting to it. I hope USM fans have as many good times, memories and rivalries in the Sunbelt. They had a lot of them in CUSA.

I was at that game. Houston got mad because they felt like the USM defense covered the ball to let time expire at the half. They were throwing beer etc on the football team and cheerleaders as they exited the field. It had a Tennessee/Lane Kiffin feel to it. Southern Miss fans didn't like Houston too much after that. We enjoyed playing spoiler to their undefeated season a few years later.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 06:10 AM by eagle83.)
10-26-2021 06:08 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

49-28
10-26-2021 06:13 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(10-26-2021 06:13 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  49-28

Best part of that game was the ESPN announcers as the players came out on the field, and they were treating us like "being lucky to be there".. and then we go up 14-0 and you could imagine the announcers going "uhm.. now what do we say"?

I just have memories of Lampley catching the wheel route from Austin Davis in that game, and he just blew by Houston defenders like they were stuck in glue.. cause even he turned and looked at the defense like.. "it was that easy"?
10-27-2021 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(10-26-2021 06:08 AM)eagle83 Wrote:  

I was at that game. Houston got mad because they felt like the USM defense covered the ball to let time expire at the half. They were throwing beer etc on the football team and cheerleaders as they exited the field. It had a Tennessee/Lane Kiffin feel to it. Southern Miss fans didn't like Houston too much after that. We enjoyed playing spoiler to their undefeated season a few years later.

The Curse of Case Keenum is strong. Nothing good has transpired since you guys ruined our season. 05-stirthepot
10-27-2021 11:47 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(10-27-2021 11:47 AM)maccoog Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 06:08 AM)eagle83 Wrote:  

The Curse of Case Keenum is strong. Nothing good has transpired since you guys ruined our season. 05-stirthepot

And nothing good has happened to USM either since that game. Also, we may have ruined your Sugar Bowl bid but UAB ruined ours. They planned to take the winner of our game in the Sugar until we lost to UAB prior to the Houston game. We were up 21-0 to UAB btw, and managed to lose.
10-27-2021 12:05 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(10-27-2021 10:54 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 06:13 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  49-28

Best part of that game was the ESPN announcers as the players came out on the field, and they were treating us like "being lucky to be there".. and then we go up 14-0 and you could imagine the announcers going "uhm.. now what do we say"?

I just have memories of Lampley catching the wheel route from Austin Davis in that game, and he just blew by Houston defenders like they were stuck in glue.. cause even he turned and looked at the defense like.. "it was that easy"?

I was playing Streak for the Cash back then and they had a prop that Houston would beat the spread (I think it was 14). They typically lock those things in until games are officially complete so you can't pick another game. Beginning of the 4th Quarter, I get a notification that my pick had won. They knew it was over and that Houston had no chance.
10-27-2021 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.