ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ballard Stadium
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Ballard Stadium
So now that we have a new conference home, does this accelerate any of the stadium improvements we hope to see? I'd say ours is comparable, but certainly no better than most of the SB stadiums, and probably worse than a few too. Plus, JMU will likely add the other half of their stadium soon, giving them one of the best in the G5. And we have to recruit against that... in state. I'd love to see bathrooms and concessions on the upper level, a row of luxury suites on one side, the much needed new end zone with a larger raised scoreboard over it, better branding/ landscaping and an escalator on each side. That would do it. I know it costs money, but add those, and we have something that will stand out, something we can be proud of and give us an advantage against our soon to be rivals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz_e77je3T4
10-25-2021 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Can't Tame the Lion Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Ballard Stadium
(10-25-2021 03:01 PM)monarx Wrote:  So now that we have a new conference home, does this accelerate any of the stadium improvements we hope to see? I'd say ours is comparable, but certainly no better than most of the SB stadiums, and probably worse than a few too. Plus, JMU will likely add the other half of their stadium soon, giving them one of the best in the G5. And we have to recruit against that... in state. I'd love to see bathrooms and concessions on the upper level, a row of luxury suites on one side, the much needed new end zone with a larger raised scoreboard over it, better branding/ landscaping and an escalator on each side. That would do it. I know it costs money, but add those, and we have something that will stand out, something we can be proud of and give us an advantage against our soon to be rivals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz_e77je3T4

I doubt JMU adds seats to their stadium or anything major any time soon. FBS football and a G5 conference is a lot more expensive than FCS in the CAA. They already have debt issues.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 03:30 PM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
10-25-2021 03:30 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

No. It's not a pressing need.

We also have some added cost making this move, namely the loss of NCAA distributions from CUSA over the next two seasons ($6mil) as well as exit and entry fees ($4mil).

Then there is the actual need for the baseball stadium to be renovated/rebuilt. That should take precedence, as it's long overdue and the study is already being done.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 03:44 PM by Monarchist13.)
10-25-2021 03:43 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2021 03:43 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  No. It's not a pressing need.

We also have some added cost making this move, namely the loss of NCAA distributions from CUSA over the next two seasons ($6mil) as well as exit and entry fees ($4mil).

Then there is the actual need for the baseball stadium to be renovated/rebuilt. That should take precedence, as it's long overdue and the study is already being done.

Do you happen to know if there is any truth to the rumor that schools in the Sun Belt (including us) will get close to $2 million in media money instead of the approximately $500k, CUSA was paying out? Everything Ive read from legit sources seems to indicate that the payouts between CUSA and the SB are basically the same (in that $500k range). I know the new AAC teams will get $2-2.5 million, and the legacy teams (ECU, Temple etc) will get $7 million. If we got an extra $1.5 a year, that would be a big deal for a G5 I would think, and allow us to remain competitive with at least the newer AAC teams. And help eventually get that eyesore on the north end replaced.
10-25-2021 03:54 PM
ODU12 Offline
Water Engineer

I just watched that video and I'm seeing things differently. Looking at some of those stadiums they are what i'd expect from our level of teams (on a budget). You either have some with more seating but awkwardly built or some that are newer and similar in size to ours. At least ours looks relatively symmetrical, isn't on top of a road, and is nicely placed on a plot of land built for a stadium. App State was the only one that made me say oh la la.

1. Spend money on good coaches that can recruit, then;
2. Win on the field, then;
3. Get butts in seats who want to see the winning product, then;
4. Use that invested money to expand the stadium.

We're in phase 1.
10-25-2021 04:09 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
Again, I just want my cup holder 😀

Sent from my SM-G975U using CSNbbs mobile app
10-25-2021 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Can't Tame the Lion Online
Special Teams

(10-25-2021 04:09 PM)ODU12 Wrote:  I just watched that video and I'm seeing things differently. Looking at some of those stadiums they are what i'd expect from our level of teams (on a budget). You either have some with more seating but awkwardly built or some that are newer and similar in size to ours. At least ours looks relatively symmetrical, isn't on top of a road, and is nicely placed on a plot of land built for a stadium. App State was the only one that made me say oh la la.

We're in phase 1.

I agree... not overly impressed by any stadium other than App St. In fact, all our facilities are on par or better than most SB schools. Our baseball stadium is the glaring exception and that will be addressed.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 04:17 PM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
10-25-2021 04:16 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I agree. Baseball stadium needs to be prioritized over anything else athletics wise. After that may be North EndZone but we seem to have ~80 MM in debt service so we dont know if any of these gets addressed soon.
10-25-2021 04:38 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

(10-25-2021 04:10 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Again, I just want my cup holder ?

These work like a charm for me, but I have a railing in front
https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+c...e&ie=UTF-8
10-25-2021 05:16 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

Ballard Stadium
Its interesting how many of the Sun Belt stadiums are built underground or into a hill side. Even below sea level. Although that might be just a Louisiana thing. Seems like its just inviting trash to blow in like a big garbage can.
10-25-2021 05:37 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-25-2021 04:16 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 04:09 PM)ODU12 Wrote:  I just watched that video and I'm seeing things differently. Looking at some of those stadiums they are what i'd expect from our level of teams (on a budget). You either have some with more seating but awkwardly built or some that are newer and similar in size to ours. At least ours looks relatively symmetrical, isn't on top of a road, and is nicely placed on a plot of land built for a stadium. App State was the only one that made me say oh la la.

We're in phase 1.

I agree... not overly impressed by any stadium other than App St. In fact, all our facilities are on par or better than most SB schools. Our baseball stadium is the glaring exception and that will be addressed.

You can’t tell me you’re not at least moderately impressed by our stadium water falls 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 06:21 PM by RamblinRedWolf.)
10-25-2021 06:21 PM
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(10-25-2021 06:21 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  

We're in phase 1.

You can’t tell me you’re not at least moderately impressed by our stadium water falls 02-13-banana
Its a nice feature. Were there plans to do something in the grassy corners?
10-25-2021 07:11 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

You referenced that the baseball study is already being done. This is the first that I've heard that the study has started. Can you elaborate?
10-25-2021 09:28 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-25-2021 09:28 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  

You referenced that the baseball study is already being done. This is the first that I've heard that the study has started. Can you elaborate?

Wood said we should know a lot more in December, so I’m guessing that’s when they will be given their options moving forward. Would assume we will hear about it after the new year/once a path is chosen.
10-25-2021 09:38 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-25-2021 07:11 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 06:21 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  

We're in phase 1.

Its a nice feature. Were there plans to do something in the grassy corners?

No the AD that oversaw the design and finished product pretty much wanted the “water features” as he would calll them right where they are (he was a Royals fan and wanted to emulate their in stadium water features)

Personally I would’ve preferred more premium seating but they certainly catch attention and get frequent shares and likes on social media so it does it’s job
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 11:03 PM by RamblinRedWolf.)
10-25-2021 11:02 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

I think, they should go back to the stadium on the water study. Tear down the old Powhatan Apartments, which I think opened in 1981. Build a brand new baseball stadium and complex there on the water. All the while it is being built continue to use the Bud. Once baseball moves out of the bud, upgrade it for woman's softball.
10-26-2021 12:37 AM
Advertisement

BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(10-26-2021 12:37 AM)TedHead Wrote:  I think, they should go back to the stadium on the water study. Tear down the old Powhatan Apartments, which I think opened in 1981. Build a brand new baseball stadium and complex there on the water. All the while it is being built continue to use the Bud. Once baseball moves out of the bud, upgrade it for woman's softball.
Interesting idea. If not they could take that big parking lot behind Whitehurst/midrise and put a baseball stadium there. Build a couple parking garages to replace the parking lost and boom

10-26-2021 02:41 AM
bit_9 Offline

(10-26-2021 12:37 AM)TedHead Wrote:  I think, they should go back to the stadium on the water study. Tear down the old Powhatan Apartments, which I think opened in 1981. Build a brand new baseball stadium and complex there on the water. All the while it is being built continue to use the Bud. Once baseball moves out of the bud, upgrade it for woman's softball.
That is a good thought and might be feasible for a baseball stadium vs a football stadium.bi understand the football stadium was deamed unrealistic once they got ground and soil samples back from that area. But baseball might not be a issue.
10-26-2021 05:35 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2021 05:35 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
That is a good thought and might be feasible for a baseball stadium vs a football stadium.bi understand the football stadium was deamed unrealistic once they got ground and soil samples back from that area. But baseball might not be a issue.

And ODU has a land shortage so using land that could hold an actual building for a field seems like a poor choice. I still think the Bud could be upgraded where it as well.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 08:14 AM by monarx.)
10-26-2021 07:31 AM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I don't think softball is gonna happen at ODU unless a field emerges already complete from the Elizabeth. If we need to add women's sports I would bet that we add more land-conserving sports like Beach Volleyball, Bowling, etc
10-26-2021 07:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.