Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 9 Power Rankings
Bookmark and Share
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Week 9 Power Rankings
1. Louisiana - Rushed three times the distance around the Earth yet won by one point. How that happens? I don't know. Win against App looking like Louisiana's best game in decades while App played their worst game since probably USA 2014 where Brandon Bridges looked like Tom Brady.

2. App State - Louisiana game looking like a one off deal. Time will tell as a surging ULM comes to Boone this week as TWENTY-SEVEN POINT DOGS. I thought that the line would be around -10.

3. Coastal Carolina - Played in front of the largest crowd they've seen since 2019 and it showed. Communication errors, the inability to be calm from the most important position, and conditioning all played a role. I suspect this was a match-up game and Coastal will continue on through Sun Belt play unscathed though they face a tough test on Thursday night against a Jeckyl & Hyde Troy squad.

4. ULM - Somehow find themselves 4-3 with an up tempo offense in Rich Rodriguez and an experienced head in Terry Bowden keeping the team positive. They've been up and down this year with a 59-6 loss to Coastal and then a win against an improved USA team and a solid Liberty team. Can they pull off another?

5. South Alabama - Still sitting at 4-3 but reeling

6. Troy - 4-3 and seemingly has the ability to play good ball but can't put it together for four quarters yet. Should be a good game on Thursday as it was last season but Coastal will be hyper focused to keep that status they've come to hold

7. Georgia State - Record doesn't indicate how good that they really are. Had a tough schedule to open the season and it's now far more manageable until they play Louisiana, Coastal and Troy in 3 out of 4 weeks to close the season.

8. Arkansas State - They seemed to really generate consistent offense as Hatcher took over. They are 1-6 and if their defense was even decent they would probably be a .500 team right now

9. Texas State - They play everyone tough but can't put it together to find a win. As expected with mostly transfers and little continuity

10. Georgia Southern - Reeling after Lunsford. Will probably beat App State just as App is about to be ranked again at the end of the season because, well, it's Hate Week. Lost season otherwise
10-25-2021 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: Week 9 Power Rankings
Is it just me or does it suddenly feel all is right in the universe?

But seriously App: I hope we both do what we need to do so we can settle this for certain in December.

And huge kudos to ulm for the move up.
10-25-2021 01:38 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-25-2021 01:38 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  Is it just me or does it suddenly feel all is right in the universe?

But seriously App: I hope we both do what we need to do so we can settle this for certain in December.

Red Wolves will be back soon enough 03-nutkick
10-25-2021 01:46 PM
The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
(10-25-2021 01:38 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  Is it just me or does it suddenly feel all is right in the universe?

Just you. Georgia Southern is dead last in the power rankings. That's a clear indicator not all is well. The SBC can't reach its potential until we get our sh*t in order and add another top 25 capable team to the roster.
10-25-2021 01:46 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

The voodoo in N'awlins was strong in Week 7 or 8. ULM takes down Liberty, LSU beat Florida, and Louisiana curb stomped App.

That's what I'm chalking it up to anyway.
10-25-2021 01:47 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(10-25-2021 01:47 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

The voodoo in N'awlins was strong in Week 7 or 8. ULM takes down Liberty, LSU beat Florida, and Louisiana curb stomped App.

Um, ok. But FYI: Nola has zero to do with ul, except when we play in the bowl there.

I think the ‘voodoo’ you experienced at CF was due to Napier and company, or Cajun Nation.
10-25-2021 01:51 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-25-2021 01:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  8. Arkansas State - They seemed to really generate consistent offense as Hatcher took over. They are 1-6 and if their defense was even decent they would probably be a .500 team right now

9. Texas State - They play everyone tough but can't put it together to find a win. As expected with mostly transfers and little continuity

10. Georgia Southern - Reeling after Lunsford. Will probably beat App State just as App is about to be ranked again at the end of the season because, well, it's Hate Week. Lost season otherwise

How is Ark State 8 when they haven't won a conference game yet?
10-25-2021 01:51 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-25-2021 01:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  1. Louisiana - Rushed three times the distance around the Earth yet won by one point. How that happens? I don't know. Win against App looking like Louisiana's best game in decades while App played their worst game since probably USA 2014 where Brandon Bridges looked like Tom Brady.

2. App State - Louisiana game looking like a one off deal. Time will tell as a surging ULM comes to Boone this week as TWENTY-SEVEN POINT DOGS. I thought that the line would be around -10.

3. Coastal Carolina - Played in front of the largest crowd they've seen since 2019 and it showed. Communication errors, the inability to be calm from the most important position, and conditioning all played a role. I suspect this was a match-up game and Coastal will continue on through Sun Belt play unscathed though they face a tough test on Thursday night against a Jeckyl & Hyde Troy squad.

4. ULM - Somehow find themselves 4-3 with an up tempo offense in Rich Rodriguez and an experienced head in Terry Bowden keeping the team positive. They've been up and down this year with a 59-6 loss to Coastal and then a win against an improved USA team and a solid Liberty team. Can they pull off another?

6. Troy - 4-3 and seemingly has the ability to play good ball but can't put it together for four quarters yet. Should be a good game on Thursday as it was last season but Coastal will be hyper focused to keep that status they've come to hold

7. Georgia State - Record doesn't indicate how good that they really are. Had a tough schedule to open the season and it's now far more manageable until they play Louisiana, Coastal and Troy in 3 out of 4 weeks to close the season.

8. Arkansas State - They seemed to really generate consistent offense as Hatcher took over. They are 1-6 and if their defense was even decent they would probably be a .500 team right now

. . . can you drop us to 11. or maybe 12.

. . . think LR and UTA may actually rate higher ..
10-25-2021 01:53 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 01:51 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 01:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  8. Arkansas State - They seemed to really generate consistent offense as Hatcher took over. They are 1-6 and if their defense was even decent they would probably be a .500 team right now

They played Louisiana to a one point game. The same reason I may put App over Louisiana if Louisiana had lost to Arkansas State.

A lot of this has to do with momentum and Georgia Southern's has slowed since playing Arkansas State while Arkansas State's has increased since Hatcher took over in the 2nd half of the Coastal game.
10-25-2021 01:55 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 01:53 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 01:22 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  1. Louisiana - Rushed three times the distance around the Earth yet won by one point. How that happens? I don't know. Win against App looking like Louisiana's best game in decades while App played their worst game since probably USA 2014 where Brandon Bridges looked like Tom Brady.

. . . can you drop us to 11. or maybe 12.

. . . think LR and UTA may actually rate higher ..

Texas State isn't bad. They just have no continuity to build off of. It's like they start each year with a brand new team and the coaching staff hasn't seemed to figure out that you have to recruit high school talent to build that. Some programs try to build on transfers and it works occasionally, when you have a good coaching staff (Michigan State). For others, you want to just fill spots and it can work if you get the right guys (South Alabama, App State).
10-25-2021 01:57 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 01:51 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  

Um, ok. But FYI: Nola has zero to do with ul, except when we play in the bowl there.

I think the ‘voodoo’ you experienced at CF was due to Napier and company, or Cajun Nation.

Surely there are ties to Louisiana Lafayette, Monroe, and State down in New Orleans?
10-25-2021 01:58 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
The Top 3 are interchangeable, in my opinion, even with a Cajun beatdown of APP. We're talking matchups here. Coastal could very well beat the Cajuns. Not sure who Monroe has left, but they could certainly play spoiler, especially at home. The rest of us are just hoping for a bowl or waiting for the season to end. Coaches for Troy, Texas State, and Georgia State have to all be on the hot seat, otherwise someone's administration is not doing their job.
10-25-2021 02:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
1. Coastal (went into Boone against a team that had the game circled, still the best team IMO)
2. UL (win over App)
3. App (really not a big difference in the top 3 I suppose).
4. JMU (don't kid yourself, unless they lose Cignetti and make a dumb hire they'll compete right away)
5. Marshall
6. Georgia State
7. ULM
8. South Alabama
9. Troy
10. Georgia Southern
11. Texas State
12. Ark State
13. Southern Miss
14. ODU
10-25-2021 03:02 PM
Goronic Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(10-25-2021 03:02 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  1. Coastal (went into Boone against a team that had the game circled, still the best team IMO)
2. UL (win over App)
3. App (really not a big difference in the top 3 I suppose).
4. JMU (don't kid yourself, unless they lose Cignetti and make a dumb hire they'll compete right away)
5. Marshall
6. Georgia State
7. ULM
8. South Alabama
9. Troy
10. Georgia Southern
11. Texas State
12. Ark State
13. Southern Miss
14. ODU

Interesting to throw in all 14. Well played. But, this year I would put JMU at 10 - 14 TBH. Certainly below Marshall and Troy.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 03:11 PM by Goronic.)
10-25-2021 03:10 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-25-2021 01:55 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

They played Louisiana to a one point game. The same reason I may put App over Louisiana if Louisiana had lost to Arkansas State.

A lot of this has to do with momentum and Georgia Southern's has slowed since playing Arkansas State while Arkansas State's has increased since Hatcher took over in the 2nd half of the Coastal game.

Us playing Arkansas State in Jonesboro would be the same as App going on the road this week to face Georgia southern which highly likely would be a similar outcome. Circumstances matter in sports. Billy has been building a team to beat y’all. We got dominated for the first 8 meetings, so we have been adapting and building to take y’all down. A lot of times when you are really successful against someone you don’t feel the need to change anything, when you have a certain team you can’t seem to beat you keep changing things in order to do so. We did play a great game and a lot of the things that went wrong for y’all was because of the way we played. Our game stAte are always close regardless of record and the home team usually wins but with the game one the line, we produced a 20 play 10+ minute drive to run out the clock. That’s imposing your will on someone.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 03:15 PM by Louisiana99.)
10-25-2021 03:12 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(10-25-2021 01:58 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Surely there are ties to Louisiana Lafayette, Monroe, and State down in New Orleans?

To appease Franky, let’s just say it was all over the state 04-cheers
10-25-2021 04:19 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 03:12 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

Us playing Arkansas State in Jonesboro would be the same as App going on the road this week to face Georgia southern which highly likely would be a similar outcome. Circumstances matter in sports. Billy has been building a team to beat y’all. We got dominated for the first 8 meetings, so we have been adapting and building to take y’all down. A lot of times when you are really successful against someone you don’t feel the need to change anything, when you have a certain team you can’t seem to beat you keep changing things in order to do so. We did play a great game and a lot of the things that went wrong for y’all was because of the way we played. Our game stAte are always close regardless of record and the home team usually wins but with the game one the line, we produced a 20 play 10+ minute drive to run out the clock. That’s imposing your will on someone.

All that is good and well but the margin of the game was one point. That is a positive outcome for Arkansas State anyway you slice it, anywhere you slice it. That Arkansas State team was destroyed at home by Georgia Southern, quite possibly the worst team in the Sun Belt this season (along with Arkansas State).

I'm just hopeful that App get's another shot at Louisiana with a healthy Daetrich Harrington and Cam Peoples. Those two made a massive difference in the Coastal game. Primary evidence being both of Peoples touchdowns and the run by Harrington where he literally dragged a guy the full five yards to the first down marker. His one run against Louisiana was better than anything Noel did as well as he pushed a guy 2 or 3 yards back, which really was the difference between keeping drives alive or fizzling out.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. It was a good win for Louisiana and Arkansas State put up their best defensive effort this year. Rivalry game or not. For the players, App State is more of a rivalry than Arkansas State so I don't chalk up the result to the same thing that you do.
10-25-2021 05:49 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 04:19 PM)debragga Wrote:  

Even in Baton Rouge. Coach O' said a little prayer for all of you down in the bayou.
10-25-2021 05:50 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-25-2021 05:49 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 03:12 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

All that is good and well but the margin of the game was one point. That is a positive outcome for Arkansas State anyway you slice it, anywhere you slice it. That Arkansas State team was destroyed at home by Georgia Southern, quite possibly the worst team in the Sun Belt this season (along with Arkansas State).

I'm just hopeful that App get's another shot at Louisiana with a healthy Daetrich Harrington and Cam Peoples. Those two made a massive difference in the Coastal game. Primary evidence being both of Peoples touchdowns and the run by Harrington where he literally dragged a guy the full five yards to the first down marker. His one run against Louisiana was better than anything Noel did as well as he pushed a guy 2 or 3 yards back, which really was the difference between keeping drives alive or fizzling out.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. It was a good win for Louisiana and Arkansas State put up their best defensive effort this year. Rivalry game or not. For the players, App State is more of a rivalry than Arkansas State so I don't chalk up the result to the same thing that you do.

You think Louisiana and App is more of a rivalry than App and Georgia Southern?
10-25-2021 06:58 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(10-25-2021 04:19 PM)debragga Wrote:  

Well it just bugs me because all Yankees know about the state of Louisiana is Nola, and the only thing they know about Nola is beignets, and voodoo. And peeing on the streets of the FQ, lol.

If we wanted to throw some ‘magic’ at ya from UL, we’d consult a Traiteur
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 06:59 PM by FrankyP.)
10-25-2021 06:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.