ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

La Tech @ Old Dominion Game Thread
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
We needed some new blood on the game thread so here I am. We had a week off to lick our wounds and prepare for the back half of the season with a new QB. I felt a win last week and was wrong.

Well, I still think we are building things and improving. LT is not really that good so I'm gonna predict a win again :)

https://odusports.com/sports/football/op...na-tech/91
10-25-2021 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

RE: La Tech @ Old Dominion Game Thread
10-25-2021 10:39 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

While LT throws the ball about 50% of the time, they are by far more successful through the air than they are on the ground. They average 3.5 yards per carry. They complete 62% of their passes for 7.9 yards per attempt. But, after facing WKY and Marshall, ODU should feel fairly decent that the secondary can play well against LT, who does not have the passing game of those 2 schools. ODUs pass defense allows 64% completions but does so only 7.2 yards per attempt despite facing WKY, Marshall, Liberty, and Wake..and to a lesser degree UTEP (who averages 9.5 yards per attempt.) The run defense allows 3.4 yards per rush, which is similar to what LT gains on the ground (3.5 ypa). The defense has been a somewhat suprising relevation so far this year. I expece a decent performance by the defense.

The offense still stinks averaging only 4.8 ypp, but with a respectable 4.1 ypc. They are facing a LT defense that gives up 450 yards per game. The run defense allows 4.3 ypc. The LT defense allows 68% completions (!) and 7.5 yards per attempt. This is a different offense than what ODU has had over the course of the season as last game they transitioned from a run based mobile QB to a pocket passing attack. Time will tell if they will still be able to run the ball effectively. Much will depend on how well they pass block, a weak spot on the season. Pressure appears to be an issue with LT as they average only 1.4 sacks per game.

The WKY defense is not great but they have a better pass rush than what LT brings. And outside of self inflicted mistakes, I think the biggest difference in the ODU/WKY game was the inability to block the WKY front 4 (in particular whoever there right defensive end was)

The ODU defense is facing a stepdown in competition.

F +/- (Offense)
Wake- 22
Liberty-40
Marshall- 69
WKY- 72
Buffalo- 85
UTEP- 119
LT- 94

Outside of Hampton, the only offense that is worse than LT is UTEP. UTEP had 333 yards and 17 first downs. Buffalo, a slighly better offense had 17 first downs and 297 yards.

In terms of defenses faced:
Wake- 57
Liberty- 56
Marshall- 54
WKY- 79
Buffalo- 106
UTEP- 87
LT- 92

In terms of defenses faced, only Buffalo has a worse defense than LT. In the Buffalo game, ODU had 27 first downs and 433 yards. Utep is also in that range and ODU did only have 19 first downs and 282 yards (67 plays).

This game comes down to how the ODU offensive line pass blocks. LT has 10 sacks on the season. They have 2 players with 3 and 1 player with 2. Opponets are average 39 passing attempts on the season. If ODU can pass block well and LT continues to not be able to get after the passer, I think they can win fairly comfortable.
10-25-2021 10:49 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
I'm hopeful for this game. We need to win this one, for so many reasons

Not least of which, apparently our new friends in The Sun Belt despise La Tech. It'd be nice to give this gift to them, and show them we can win football games.

Maybe our curse was Conference USA and its been lifted.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 11:33 AM by ODU-Z8.)
10-25-2021 11:33 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Prior to WKU game I felt confident we were turning the corner and due for a couple of wins. After WKU, not so much.
Maybe overall egg games come a young team, or maybe what we saw was more a result of changing QBs. But if they don't play better going forward then they did against WKU, I'm not optimistic we'll win an FBS this year. Sure hope I'm wrong.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 11:39 AM by VB Monarch.)
10-25-2021 11:37 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I think the WKY game was us beating ourselves more than anything. Obviously, there were some other things but I don't think that game should discourage anyone. We gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

We were stopped on downs at the WKY 35 yard line
We threw an INT in WKY territory
We "fumbled" at the WKY 32 yard line.
We had 13 penalties for 117 yards

I also think WKY is better than I gave them credit for. The defense isn't great but they do have a good pass rush. We probably don't win but without making the bad mistakes (self inflicted), its a much closer game.

We are a young team and won't be able to eliminate all of the mistakes but I think we are slowly improving.
10-25-2021 11:48 AM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(10-25-2021 11:48 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think the WKY game was us beating ourselves more than anything. Obviously, there were some other things but I don't think that game should discourage anyone. We gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

I also think WKY is better than I gave them credit for. The defense isn't great but they do have a good pass rush. We probably don't win but without making the bad mistakes (self inflicted), its a much closer game.

We are a young team and won't be able to eliminate all of the mistakes but I think we are slowly improving.

I think next year turn it around some and win 4 or 5 games.

I think 2023, or 1st year in the SBC, is our breakout year.
10-25-2021 11:52 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2021 11:52 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 11:48 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think the WKY game was us beating ourselves more than anything. Obviously, there were some other things but I don't think that game should discourage anyone. We gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

It should be. But then again, the competition will take a major step up too. If Marshall gets on track and App and CCU continue on trajectory we could be facing 3 top 40 teams IN conference play alone. That eastern SBC division is going to be very tough.
10-25-2021 11:58 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

(10-25-2021 11:52 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  

I think my prediction for next year will change based on how the back half of our season goes. None of these teams are dominant, and we have played some close games already. If we win even a couple, I will have hope for a winning season next year. Another off season and more recruits and transfers could put us over the edge we have been skirting
10-25-2021 12:00 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 10:39 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Nice! put a leash on that punk nosed bull dog and take it to the pound.
10-25-2021 12:35 PM
ShenValleyMonarch12 Offline
Special Teams

David Blackwell revenge game. I am sure he will at least try to send some pressure Wolff's way.
10-25-2021 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Online
All American

I don’t think I can make a prediction. This team is so young and plays so up and down. The margins are too tight to have this many mistakes. We need second half ODU to show up at kickoff and keep the energy through the entire game. I have confidence in our defense, but not in the offense. I need them to show me something. That they can consistently execute. I want to see guys in yellow hats jumping around.
10-25-2021 12:48 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

10-25-2021 04:04 PM
Chillie Willie Online
All American

(10-25-2021 04:04 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
One thing I've noticed about Rahne is that he seems a little uncomfortable and sometimes awkward while answering questions with the media. But somehow at the same time he seems real and down home, like it's just some guys hanging around having a beer.
10-25-2021 06:53 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Latech, 2-5, is ranked 109 in FBS (ODU 118) of 130 programs.

On offense they run a Pro Spread that averages 393 YPG and 26.6 points per game.
They are pass heavy. QB Austin Kendall is a 61% passer, and unlike our last few opponents, he WILL run. He is the 2nd leading rusher on the team.
He HAS been sacked 16 times.
On the ground they average 3.5 ypc, and 115 ypg.

Kicker Jacob Barnes is 21/21 on EPs and 9/12 on FGs with a long of 47.

On defense LaTech runs a traditional 4-3 that has allowed almolst 300 ypg in the air of a total of 450 ypg. and a fairly stingy 153 ypg on the ground.

One common opponent, UTEP, whom they lost to 19-3

Bottom line:
A pass first QB that can also run presents a unique challenge for our D. We will need to pressure him but maintain gap discipline as well, a challenge for a very young defense..
This is a golden opportunity for Hayden Wolff to shine against a fairly poor pass defense. A key will likely be the ability of our OL to pass block. That has been an issue all season. LT has 10 sacks this season.

This game is certainly winnable.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 09:00 AM by ODUalum78.)
10-25-2021 11:21 PM
DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
I predict a LOSS. I simply can't see any other result. This team has made progress, BUT haven't proven that they can win against an FBS team yet.

I hate to be pessimistic, but that is where I am right now with this program.

Prove me wrong Monarchs, please.
10-26-2021 07:33 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Fanbase needs a win here.

This ODU/Redskins fan needs a win.
10-26-2021 08:24 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

We got this, we have had some of our best games vs LaTech.
10-26-2021 08:54 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I'm looking for a Hayden Wolff breakout special. Two weeks to rescheme and relearn how to pass block. Can only help what was already a 328 yard performance
10-26-2021 09:00 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I see a win this week, but it depends on Wolff having a good day.
10-26-2021 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.