Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC Has Won The Realignment Battle
Bookmark and Share
TroyGuy88 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
This seems surreal as a lot of this conference shuffle was unforeseen a few months back, if that. This coming week if JMU, Marshall and ODU accept the invitation to join the SBC, its safe to say we win the realignment battle and become the premier group of 5 conference in terms of quality football programs.

The AAC bit themselves in the arse by becoming cusa 2.0. That leaves the SBC in line with the MWC to battle it out for the top G5 spot. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this plays out - Will CUSA survive, and if they do - where does it leave them in the mix.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 12:22 AM by TroyGuy88.)
10-25-2021 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: SBC Has Won The Realignment Battle
I think it was Brett McMurphy who said winners are Sun Belt for getting good schools who fit, MWC for holding off AAC, and MAC for keeping their head down and not having any of the stress of teams being considered.

Buffalo is a better AAC fit than some of the schools selected, once again, a viable target under ESPN contract didn’t get picked.
10-25-2021 12:46 AM
Sakatalonzo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty U.
Must give the SBC a thumbs up for their moves. Really did a great job and hope that it does over take the AAC.
10-25-2021 04:54 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
I agree that the SBC has won this round. Tightened up each division and added schools that will help other sports and has great potential in football.

As far as the AAC goes, I was scratching my head about their adds and thought they were following the failed "markets model" that CUSA had previously done. Once I separated the teams in division, their might be a method to their madness. Their West division will have SMU, Tulsa, UNT, UTSA, Rice, Tulane and Memphis. That is a very tight fit and all in fertile recruiting areas. The East will have FAU, South Florida, Temple UAB, Charlotte, ECU and Navy. A bit more spread out but a eastern seaboard flavor. Does the new West help those schools? Jury is out but they do have something to pitch to recruits. Will be interesting to see if it works.
10-25-2021 05:48 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(10-25-2021 05:48 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  I agree that the SBC has won this round. Tightened up each division and added schools that will help other sports and has great potential in football.

As far as the AAC goes, I was scratching my head about their adds and thought they were following the failed "markets model" that CUSA had previously done. Once I separated the teams in division, their might be a method to their madness. Their West division will have SMU, Tulsa, UNT, UTSA, Rice, Tulane and Memphis. That is a very tight fit and all in fertile recruiting areas. The East will have FAU, South Florida, Temple UAB, Charlotte, ECU and Navy. A bit more spread out but a eastern seaboard flavor. Does the new West help those schools? Jury is out but they do have something to pitch to recruits. Will be interesting to see if it works.

Navy plays in the West.
10-25-2021 06:39 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
(10-25-2021 06:39 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 05:48 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  I agree that the SBC has won this round. Tightened up each division and added schools that will help other sports and has great potential in football.

Navy plays in the West.
I was just guessing about new divisions. With what they have, that is my guess on how they split it and what makes the most sense geographically with the new members.
10-25-2021 07:26 AM
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Can't remember the site, but there was a brief piece claiming SBC won this round and set itself up to be the top G5 conference for at least football.

The comments were hilarious ? and made by people who still live in the 90s are 2000s. One guy was talking about how the new teams will quickly build up with the added exposure and money. He also said that the AAC would just backfill with MWC teams if they lost Memphis, SMU, and USF to any future expansion. ? ? ? ?

Some folks just remain ignorant of changes and the current landscape.
10-25-2021 07:36 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Lol, we all have potential. I could potentially bump into Scarlett Johansson and sweep her off her feet, convince her to dump her husband and run off to Tahiti with me…but it’s unlikely.

AAC’s adds are all historically bad at football that lack the personnel infrastructure to dig out of that hole and lack solid fan support. SB’s adds (except for ODU) are all historically good at football. At least ODU showed even as a young program when they weren’t great they could sell tickets. Success will come for the Monarchs. I have no doubt JMU can navigate the financial balance sheets and hit the ground running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-25-2021 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cruhawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers

It's easy to dunk on the AAC for basically copying C-USA's playbook from 2011-2013, but there does seem to be more than meets the eye on the new setup. If you look at a map of all AAC teams with the new members added, almost every school has at least one nearby school to act as a travel partner with the exceptions of Tulsa (who at least has Wich State nearby for all sports), Temple (who still has Navy football closeby), and Tulane (which is still about a 5 hr drive from both Rice and UAB).

Listening to Aresco talk on the AAC's methodology for expansion, it almost sounds like he approached realignment through the lens of a venture capital firm or startup incubator ala Y-combinator: Look for schools with solid academic backgrounds in large metropolitan areas with substantial airports (growth potential and ease of logistics) that are both able and willing to invest in major college athletics, and take a shotgun-approach by adding as many that fit that criteria as possible in thoe hopes that at least one of them can be incubated into the next Cincinnati or UCF in-house.

Also, by taking all the C-USA's Texas schools, the AAC effectively boxes out it's closest competitor at the High G5/Low P5 level in the MWC from expanding further, and simultaneously kneecaps another G5 in the C-USA for the SBC/MAC to pick off if they so choose to.

Now, while most of the AAC's new additions don't really have a tradition of football success, I would argue all of them do have the potential to grow to at least a Cincinnati/UCF/Houston-level brand of athletic success:
  • UAB & FAU: Large metros, combined to win the last 4 C-USA football titles, recent facilites investments, success in other sports as well (Basketball for UAB, Baseball for FAU)
  • Charlotte & UTSA: New programs in large metros without P5/G5 competition, large enrollment, relatively decent fanbases, good facilities, prestigious public university system members, with some FB success in recent years.
  • Rice & UNT: despite lack of recent football success, both are in major media/recruiting markets in Texas with success in other sports (Baseball & Basketball, respectively) with ability to invest in their programs, so they can never be truly counted out IMO.

Bottom line, I'd say that the AAC took a flyer on several programs based on growth potential, setting themselves up for a potentially lower floor than the Sun Belt, but also a higher potential ceiling.
10-25-2021 08:21 AM
Capt Ed Offline
Bench Warmer

Charlotte & UTSA: New programs in large metros without P5/G5 competition, large enrollment, relatively decent fanbases, good facilities, prestigious public university system members, with some FB success in recent years.

Don't know about UTSA, but Charlotte is filled with Carolina, State, ECU and App State alumni so I doubt the non presence of other P5/G5s' nearby isn't going to win them new fans.
10-25-2021 09:08 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(10-25-2021 09:08 AM)Capt Ed Wrote:  Charlotte & UTSA: New programs in large metros without P5/G5 competition, large enrollment, relatively decent fanbases, good facilities, prestigious public university system members, with some FB success in recent years.

Don't know about UTSA, but Charlotte is filled with Carolina, State, ECU and App State alumni so I doubt the non presence of other P5/G5s' nearby isn't going to win them new fans.

ECU fans just attended a neutral site game with App State fans inside BoA stadium this season. Now they’ll be making semi-annual trips back to Charlotte to play in the smallest stadium in FBS. Talk about a downgrade 03-lmfao
10-25-2021 09:12 AM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(10-25-2021 09:12 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 09:08 AM)Capt Ed Wrote:  Charlotte & UTSA: New programs in large metros without P5/G5 competition, large enrollment, relatively decent fanbases, good facilities, prestigious public university system members, with some FB success in recent years.

ECU fans just attended a neutral site game with App State fans inside BoA stadium this season. Now they’ll be making semi-annual trips back to Charlotte to play in the smallest stadium in FBS. Talk about a downgrade 03-lmfao

On the plus side, they'll probably have more fans in the stadium than the home team.
10-25-2021 09:14 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-25-2021 08:21 AM)Cruhawk Wrote:  

It's easy to dunk on the AAC for basically copying C-USA's playbook from 2011-2013, but there does seem to be more than meets the eye on the new setup. If you look at a map of all AAC teams with the new members added, almost every school has at least one nearby school to act as a travel partner with the exceptions of Tulsa (who at least has Wich State nearby for all sports), Temple (who still has Navy football closeby), and Tulane (which is still about a 5 hr drive from both Rice and UAB).

Listening to Aresco talk on the AAC's methodology for expansion, it almost sounds like he approached realignment through the lens of a venture capital firm or startup incubator ala Y-combinator: Look for schools with solid academic backgrounds in large metropolitan areas with substantial airports (growth potential and ease of logistics) that are both able and willing to invest in major college athletics, and take a shotgun-approach by adding as many that fit that criteria as possible in thoe hopes that at least one of them can be incubated into the next Cincinnati or UCF in-house.

Also, by taking all the C-USA's Texas schools, the AAC effectively boxes out it's closest competitor at the High G5/Low P5 level in the MWC from expanding further, and simultaneously kneecaps another G5 in the C-USA for the SBC/MAC to pick off if they so choose to.

Now, while most of the AAC's new additions don't really have a tradition of football success, I would argue all of them do have the potential to grow to at least a Cincinnati/UCF/Houston-level brand of athletic success:
  • UAB & FAU: Large metros, combined to win the last 4 C-USA football titles, recent facilites investments, success in other sports as well (Basketball for UAB, Baseball for FAU)
  • Charlotte & UTSA: New programs in large metros without P5/G5 competition, large enrollment, relatively decent fanbases, good facilities, prestigious public university system members, with some FB success in recent years.
  • Rice & UNT: despite lack of recent football success, both are in major media/recruiting markets in Texas with success in other sports (Baseball & Basketball, respectively) with ability to invest in their programs, so they can never be truly counted out IMO.

Bottom line, I'd say that the AAC took a flyer on several programs based on growth potential, setting themselves up for a potentially lower floor than the Sun Belt, but also a higher potential ceiling.

CUSA took a markets/potential flyer on four of those six teams nearly a decade ago and see how it worked out?
10-25-2021 09:21 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Some got stronger in terms of absolute metrics, but also their relative place compared to others.

SEC got stronger
Big12 weaker
AAC much weaker
MWC even, but relatively stronger compared to Big12 and AAC
SBC stronger as well as closer to MWC and certainly AAC
MAC even, but now a gap from CUSA
CUSA, my goodness
10-25-2021 09:23 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison

There are more Buffalo Bills fans in Charlotte than UNC Charlotte fans.
10-25-2021 12:15 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Winners: SEC, SBC
Losers: CUSA, AAC, Big 12

Everyone else sort of no change or even.
10-25-2021 01:36 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-25-2021 08:21 AM)Cruhawk Wrote:  

They are a collection of schools with no shared history in urban areas that have minimal market penetration in their own markets.

Mike Aresco's explanation was that those programs have major airports nearby so that will help with the transfer portal. What you're going to see is ECU continue to dominate the conference in attendance and when Houston gets an idea that Ahlers isn't the guy, ECU is going to run that conference, most likely.

Football brands. Foundation. Support. That builds success. Not one of the programs added by the AAC has any of these things.

Brands? They don't exist

Foundation? Generally losing teams with the occassional success. UAB has had success but only after they killed their program

Support? UAB maybe had 13,000 fans at their game against Rice. Charlotte gets 12,000 for Duke. UNT gets decent support when winning, which isn't guaranteed. FAU may get 15,000. Rice.....

Basketball is fine. Football...I don't know where to start.

But let's be real, this was ESPN's doing. The AAC approached several Sun Belt programs who told the AAC no before talks got very far.
10-25-2021 01:52 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
As far as football, we're down right now. Our last coach didn't recruit well and our new coach is playing with those players. I'm hoping by time we move to SBC we're back to competing and can give most of the teams a run for their money.

Baseball we're solid.

I'll have to leave basketball to someone else. I haven't watched a USM basketball game since maybe our last NIT appearance.
10-25-2021 01:57 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-25-2021 01:57 PM)gdunn Wrote:  As far as football, we're down right now. Our last coach didn't recruit well and our new coach is playing with those players. I'm hoping by time we move to SBC we're back to competing and can give most of the teams a run for their money.

Baseball we're solid.

I'll have to leave basketball to someone else. I haven't watched a USM basketball game since maybe our last NIT appearance.

Recruiting looks better this season. Not sure if the SBC move will aid in recruiting over the next two years to really get up to par. Louisiana, App, and Coastal have all been recruiting out of the mind recently.
10-25-2021 02:04 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(10-25-2021 02:04 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Recruiting looks better this season. Not sure if the SBC move will aid in recruiting over the next two years to really get up to par. Louisiana, App, and Coastal have all been recruiting out of the mind recently.

So has Troy. We just don't have a coach who can utilize the talent on the roster. If anything, Chip Lindsey is phenomenal recruiter.

Troy currently has the highest talent "average" in the SBC.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Footba...erence=SBC
10-25-2021 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.