Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another expansion thread
Bookmark and Share
HERDDDDD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: HERD
Another expansion thread
McNeese State, Sam Houston, Tarleton, Abilene Christian, New Mexico State. These are the teams I’ve read through the week that the conference is pursuing.. Now my question do they plan on any schools to help FIU, WKU and MTSU? None of these work for them. I know these schools would help UTEP and LaTech but is Judy gonna throw the others a bone or what?
10-23-2021 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Another expansion thread
(10-23-2021 11:14 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  McNeese State, Sam Houston, Tarleton, Abilene Christian, New Mexico State. These are the teams I’ve read through the week that the conference is pursuing.. Now my question do they plan on any schools to help FIU, WKU and MTSU? None of these work for them. I know these schools would help UTEP and LaTech but is Judy gonna throw the others a bone or what?

Hopefully the MAC will throw 2 of us a bone because Judy's rolodex doesn't include teams outside the southwest.
10-23-2021 11:19 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
If the MAC does not expand, C-USA will survive. NMSU will join and I honestly believe Liberty will change their tune. At that point, you would only need one FCS call up: Sam Houston State. However, I see the league going to 10 to stabilize against future raids by inviting Jacksonville State and Missouri State.

West: NMSU, UTEP, SHSU, LaTech, MSU
East: FIU, JSU, Liberty, WKU, MTSU

That would also be a pretty solid mid-major in basketball, potentially a 2-bid league some years.
10-23-2021 11:27 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-23-2021 11:14 PM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  McNeese State, Sam Houston, Tarleton, Abilene Christian, New Mexico State. These are the teams I’ve read through the week that the conference is pursuing.. Now my question do they plan on any schools to help FIU, WKU and MTSU? None of these work for them. I know these schools would help UTEP and LaTech but is Judy gonna throw the others a bone or what?

There have been rumors that up to a dozen schools have reached out. There's no way of knowing yet which one's have been in talks with CUSA. That one message that went out referencing the schools you listed is just one message. In all honesty, I don't think there's much they can do for FIU...the southeast is saturated and if the conference is to be viable long term, they'll focus on the B12 area from the Dakotas down to Texas and possibly over to KY and TN if WKU and MTSU are to continue in the conference. The AAC, ACC, SBC, and SEC saturate the market from Virginia down to Florida and along the Gulf to Texas. I'm betting they've realized CUSA will never survive competing in that market so they might as well shift west and focus on the area that isn't over saturated. Texas has 30 million people so adding a couple Texas schools to anchor LaTech and UTEP is the first priority.

As far as MTSU and WKU, message board fodder mentions the MAC as an option but as of yet, there's no indication from the MAC that they're ready to expand. If I had to put money on it, I'd say they won't expand at this time. ESPN has to agree to increase their payout in order to expand and since ESPN just increased their payout to both the AAC and the SBC, I'm betting ESPN is hoping CUSA folds and they can be done with it.

At this point, the B5 (MTSU, WKU, FIU, LaTech, and UTEP) all realize going independent isn't a good option so giving CUSA the time to rebuild will likely be our only option. Btw, I'm calling us the B5 because we are the Best 5. 04-cheers
10-23-2021 11:31 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged

Nashville Airport meeting? If the MAC says no, do WKU and MTSU get together with FIU and try to get Liberty to reconsider? If La Tech wants to join in the "Mountain West Conference" version of the east, that would give the league 5 full members.

CUSA could additionally add Lamar and Stephen F. Austin to get to eight full members if Texas-centralism is vital to Judy MacLeod, but I feel like this westward direction will spurn non-Texas teams to pull something together on their own.

So while Texas-centric CUSA is forming a western flank, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Liberty could call up Jacksonville State, Missouri State, and any of North Carolina A&T, Central Arkansas, or Eastern Kentucky to get to eight teams, and if 10 member schools was important, but not football, add Lipscomb and Florida Gulf Coast.

It sucks, but the options are few for this league now. It's so much more severe than the defections the Sun Belt had 10 years ago by far.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 11:43 PM by All4One.)
10-23-2021 11:40 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Chattanooga passes the location and facilities eye test-- but don't know if they would move up. Metro (MSA) for Chattanooga is now about 560,000 and enrollment is over 10,000. I think that area is really growing. It would be easy travel for JSU, MT, WKU. Jacksonville State as a rival and travel partner for Chattanooga. You get the bonus of dipping into Ga., Ala., and TN recruiting grounds. This would give you three Eastern, five Central, and two Mountain time zone schools for media. JSU is also only 1hr 17m from Birmingham.

MT to CHAT----- 1hr 39m
WKU to CHAT--- 3 hrs
JSU to CHAT---- 1hr 51m

C-USA East*

WKU
MT
FIU
JSU
CHAT

*assuming Liberty says no a second time.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2021 12:33 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
10-24-2021 12:20 AM
Advertisement

Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
(10-23-2021 11:31 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

There have been rumors that up to a dozen schools have reached out. There's no way of knowing yet which one's have been in talks with CUSA. That one message that went out referencing the schools you listed is just one message. In all honesty, I don't think there's much they can do for FIU...the southeast is saturated and if the conference is to be viable long term, they'll focus on the B12 area from the Dakotas down to Texas and possibly over to KY and TN if WKU and MTSU are to continue in the conference. The AAC, ACC, SBC, and SEC saturate the market from Virginia down to Florida and along the Gulf to Texas. I'm betting they've realized CUSA will never survive competing in that market so they might as well shift west and focus on the area that isn't over saturated. Texas has 30 million people so adding a couple Texas schools to anchor LaTech and UTEP is the first priority.

As far as MTSU and WKU, message board fodder mentions the MAC as an option but as of yet, there's no indication from the MAC that they're ready to expand. If I had to put money on it, I'd say they won't expand at this time. ESPN has to agree to increase their payout in order to expand and since ESPN just increased their payout to both the AAC and the SBC, I'm betting ESPN is hoping CUSA folds and they can be done with it.

At this point, the B5 (MTSU, WKU, FIU, LaTech, and UTEP) all realize going independent isn't a good option so giving CUSA the time to rebuild will likely be our only option. Btw, I'm calling us the B5 because we are the Best 5. 04-cheers

Agree. BIG 12 will be in Florida as well.Will be very hard for CUSA fcs upcoming to recruit in the south east. Look northward to NDSU & SDSU, maybe Missouri State & Northern Iowa (but I hear they are having $ problems), and the best east Texas program to complement LTU. NMSU for UTEP. Not sure who for FIU.
10-24-2021 01:00 AM
dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(10-24-2021 01:00 AM)Huan Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 11:31 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

Agree. BIG 12 will be in Florida as well.Will be very hard for CUSA fcs upcoming to recruit in the south east. Look northward to NDSU & SDSU, maybe Missouri State & Northern Iowa (but I hear they are having $ problems), and the best east Texas program to complement LTU. NMSU for UTEP. Not sure who for FIU.

While they don't have football, for Olympic sports FGCU could be an option but I don't know if they'd take the offer.
10-24-2021 07:20 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
EKU got beat out for the Sunbelt slot by Coastal last go round. They would be a good add for MTSU and WKU
10-24-2021 07:26 AM
Hilltop75 Offline
Special Teams

(10-24-2021 07:26 AM)solohawks Wrote:  EKU got beat out for the Sunbelt slot by Coastal last go round. They would be a good add for MTSU and WKU

No thanks. Why didn’t the SBC call them this time
The SBC just added 4 schools One being a FCS
School.

Also eku has done nothing in basketball or football
Jacksonville State on the other hand just
Beat Florida State in Football and are updating their
18,000 seat Football Stadium and it gets
CUSA back into Alabama after UAB’s Departure
10-24-2021 08:03 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas

Judy is an idiot. C-USA needs to target NMSU and add UConn and UMass as football only programs. The remaining 5 presidents need to fire Judy before she can finish sinking C-USA.
10-24-2021 08:08 AM
Advertisement

BKTopper Offline
1st String

It’s almost like McLeod has been working with ESPN to kill the conference. We thought her negligent but what if it was intentional!?
10-24-2021 08:11 AM
Sakatalonzo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty U.
(10-23-2021 11:27 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  If the MAC does not expand, C-USA will survive. NMSU will join and I honestly believe Liberty will change their tune. At that point, you would only need one FCS call up: Sam Houston State. However, I see the league going to 10 to stabilize against future raids by inviting Jacksonville State and Missouri State.

That would also be a pretty solid mid-major in basketball, potentially a 2-bid league some years.

Sorry Bud, my inside man at Liberty has confirmed that Liberty has turned down talks with C-USA and have no intentions of any affiliation.

Weird that in just 3 years how the TABLES have turn and now it's Liberty Saying "No Thanks"
10-24-2021 08:14 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
(10-24-2021 08:11 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  It’s almost like McLeod has been working with ESPN to kill the conference. We thought her negligent but what if it was intentional!?

You might be on to something. But, what does she have to gain by driving her conference out of business? Is there a cushy new job at ESPN waiting for her?
10-24-2021 08:15 AM
Sakatalonzo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty U.
I still do not understand how, C-USA just sat on their hands and waited to be taken. I mean I believe any one of us on their thread would have had 3 different plans in place for every situation. I mean at lest would have been pro-active and began calling Sunbelt teams as soon as I heard AAC was in trouble. Criminal charges should be brought by the remaining school or at a least a lawsuit for her actions.
10-24-2021 08:20 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(10-24-2021 08:15 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(10-24-2021 08:11 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  It’s almost like McLeod has been working with ESPN to kill the conference. We thought her negligent but what if it was intentional!?

You might be on to something. But, what does she have to gain by driving her conference out of business? Is there a cushy new job at ESPN waiting for her?

Isn’t money always the reason?
10-24-2021 08:21 AM
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

(10-24-2021 08:08 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

Judy is an idiot. C-USA needs to target NMSU and add UConn and UMass as football only programs. The remaining 5 presidents need to fire Judy before she can finish sinking C-USA.

Coming from a fan of a school that isn't being screwed by realignment, the notion of adding two schools like UConn and UMass as football-only members, which does nothing to help CUSA stay FBS, is insulting.
10-24-2021 08:23 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(10-24-2021 08:03 AM)Hilltop75 Wrote:  
(10-24-2021 07:26 AM)solohawks Wrote:  EKU got beat out for the Sunbelt slot by Coastal last go round. They would be a good add for MTSU and WKU

No thanks. Why didn’t the SBC call them this time
The SBC just added 4 schools One being a FCS
School.

Also eku has done nothing in basketball or football
Jacksonville State on the other hand just
Beat Florida State in Football and are updating their
18,000 seat Football Stadium and it gets
CUSA back into Alabama after UAB’s Departure

24,000 seat football stadium with the other side being renovated starting next year. Brand new baseball stadium recent renovations of the basketball arena. Etc... Jax st has renovated and rebuilt nearly everything. Plus after the tornado there are several new academic buildings on campus with other planned in the very near future. We now have some of the best athletic facilities in the fcs. I'd say we're ready today.
The only reason we were not in the SBC is because there are two Alabama schools already and bitterness from troy st. Who sucks by the way.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2021 08:29 AM by cleburneslim.)
10-24-2021 08:23 AM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
There are a lot of good competitive choices out there.

1st round: Liberty, NMSU, JSU, Missouri State
2nd round: UMass and UConn football only
3rd round: Chattanooga, EKU, SHSU or one of the HBCU to break out of the SWAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2021 08:27 AM by Rik Flair.)
10-24-2021 08:25 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

(10-24-2021 08:14 AM)Sakatalonzo Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 11:27 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  If the MAC does not expand, C-USA will survive. NMSU will join and I honestly believe Liberty will change their tune. At that point, you would only need one FCS call up: Sam Houston State. However, I see the league going to 10 to stabilize against future raids by inviting Jacksonville State and Missouri State.

Sorry Bud, my inside man at Liberty has confirmed that Liberty has turned down talks with C-USA and have no intentions of any affiliation.

Weird that in just 3 years how the TABLES have turn and now it's Liberty Saying "No Thanks"

Meh. After losing to ULM and nearly losing to North Texas, it's not like Liberty was ever going to a NY6 Bowl anyways. I guess there's always the Cure Bowl. Better than nothing, right?
10-24-2021 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.