Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB- Coach Heath Interview
Bookmark and Share
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
MBB- Coach Heath Interview
Was listening to the EMU Football game this afternoon, and they interviewed Coach Stan Heath during halftime. Was doing a Scouts activity with my boys at the time, so missed a few things. But thought I’d share what I remember:

He started off discussing personnel:
*Began by discussing the newcomers. First, he likened Golson to an “Antonio Gates”. Short in stature but very physically strong and athletic, so was very talented. Expect a lot from him.
*But the newcomer he was most excited about was Farrakhan. He had the potential to really wow.
*(That is all he said about newcomers. Some obvious ommissions of course. But note, I may have missed the very beginning of this)
*He then discussed the importance of key returnees. And specifically mentioned Bryce McBride and Darrion Spottesville. Said they were providing “leadership” on the team.
*(No other returnees mentioned. And I was listening at this point.)
*Said between returnees and newcomers, this team is more talented than people think. And that he can “go 9-10-11 deep very easily”.

They then discussed the NBA-Style offense. The description was somewhat generic, but:
*He said to think of the style as what an NBA team without a star might run. A lot of motion, passes off the dribble, pick-and-rolls, and creating a lot of space for players to be able to create scores.
*Will be a quick-strike offense but not necessarily a run-and-gun. Instead, will look for good scoring opportunity and execute early if available early.

They then discussed the philosophy behind putting together a tough schedule:
*Heath said that likely only one MAC team will get the NCAA bid, so wanted to play a schedule that will give EMU the best chance to be competitive in the MAC. Was less concerned about a high number of wins in the OOC schedule.
*Also said will help in recruitment to show the potential players they will have an opportunity to play in the highest level of college basketball
*And if somehow they get a win, may open up opportunities for both the player and the team.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 01:54 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-23-2021 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

RE: MBB- Coach Heath Interview
Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Getting excited for the upcoming season. I’m all about an NBA style offense, and hopefully Farrakhan is the straw that stirs the drink.
10-23-2021 11:11 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(10-23-2021 11:11 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Getting excited for the upcoming season. I’m all about an NBA style offense, and hopefully Farrakhan is the straw that stirs the drink.

Sam,

We’re going to like this PG….serious handles, quicks, athleticism and vertical leap. If he shoots the jumper consistently, watch out MAC!
10-24-2021 07:33 AM
Block_E Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Eastern
What are Concordia and Rochester gonna do to fill their schedules now? Huh?

Did Heath's contract become public? I always wondered if it had those weird 20-win milestones in them like his predecessor.
10-25-2021 01:54 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(10-25-2021 01:54 PM)Block_E Wrote:  What are Concordia and Rochester gonna do to fill their schedules now? Huh?

Did Heath's contract become public? I always wondered if it had those weird 20-win milestones in them like his predecessor.

I just put in a foia request - so its gonna be in a couple weeks.
10-25-2021 03:39 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(10-23-2021 01:49 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Was listening to the EMU Football game this afternoon, and they interviewed Coach Stan Heath during halftime. Was doing a Scouts activity with my boys at the time, so missed a few things. But thought I’d share what I remember:

*Began by discussing the newcomers. First, he likened Golson to an “Antonio Gates”. Short in stature but very physically strong and athletic, so was very talented. Expect a lot from him.
*But the newcomer he was most excited about was Farrakhan. He had the potential to really wow.
*(That is all he said about newcomers. Some obvious ommissions of course. But note, I may have missed the very beginning of this)
*He then discussed the importance of key returnees. And specifically mentioned Bryce McBride and Darrion Spottesville. Said they were providing “leadership” on the team.
*Said between returnees and newcomers, this team is more talented than people think. And that he can “go 9-10-11 deep very easily”.

They then discussed the NBA-Style offense. The description was somewhat generic, but:
*He said to think of the style as what an NBA team without a star might run. A lot of motion, passes off the dribble, pick-and-rolls, and creating a lot of space for players to be able to create scores.
*Will be a quick-strike offense but not necessarily a run-and-gun. Instead, will look for good scoring opportunity and execute early if available early.

*Heath said that likely only one MAC team will get the NCAA bid, so wanted to play a schedule that will give EMU the best chance to be competitive in the MAC. Was less concerned about a high number of wins in the OOC schedule.
*Also said will help in recruitment to show the potential players they will have an opportunity to play in the highest level of college basketball
*And if somehow they get a win, may open up opportunities for both the player and the team.

Yeah well some MAC teams (see CMU) are playing tougher schedules than we are. But yes the schedule has improved. And many would disagree that the MAC will only be a one bid team this year.
10-25-2021 04:06 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

‘79, did you ever hear the saying, “the grass is always greener on the other side”?

EDIT: You prompted me to sample a few MAC schedules for comparison. Indeed, CMU is playing a tougher schedule. WMU might be on par with EMU, while Toledo is actually considerably easier than EMU. Weird, because Toledo usually plays a tough schedule while Keno Davis loved easier schedules. Lots of changes going on in the MAC this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 06:23 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-25-2021 06:14 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(10-25-2021 04:06 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 01:49 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Was listening to the EMU Football game this afternoon, and they interviewed Coach Stan Heath during halftime. Was doing a Scouts activity with my boys at the time, so missed a few things. But thought I’d share what I remember:

Yeah well some MAC teams (see CMU) are playing tougher schedules than we are. But yes the schedule has improved. And many would disagree that the MAC will only be a one bid team this year.

Heath comparing Golson to Antonio Gates is big time. As Gates, at 6’3” played forward for HC Heath at Kent State his freshman year, averaging 16-points and 8-rebounds per game.

Heath has plenty of potentially high scoring pieces in Farrakhan, Scott, Golson, McBride, and Njie, to work with.

His also saying he can go 9-11 players in the rotation, shows that he has confidence in the depth he has to work with.

Some other MAC teams have impact players and depth as well. We’ll see who has the best that gel together. Hopefully, we’ll see an exciting season.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 03:55 PM by Miggy.)
10-26-2021 03:34 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(10-26-2021 03:34 PM)Miggy Wrote:  

Heath comparing Golson to Antonio Gates is big time. As Gates, at 6’3” played forward for HC Heath at Kent State his freshman year, averaging 16-points and 8-rebounds per game.

Heath has plenty of potentially high scoring pieces in Farrakhan, Scott, Golson, McBride, and Njie, to work with.

His also saying he can go 9-11 players in the rotation, shows that he has confidence in the depth he has to work with.

Some other MAC teams have impact players and depth as well. We’ll see who has the best that gel together. Hopefully, we’ll see an exciting season.

I’m being very nit picky here, but Gates was nowhere near a freshman at Kent State. Kent State was at least his 4th institution of higher ed.
10-26-2021 06:10 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-26-2021 06:10 PM)KPJ Wrote:  

I’m being very nit picky here, but Gates was nowhere near a freshman at Kent State. Kent State was at least his 4th institution of higher ed.

Valid point Keith.
10-26-2021 07:17 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(10-26-2021 07:17 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Valid point Keith.
This's a total guess, but I believe he went to Michigan St then Eastern Michigan, then A JUCO in California, and then Heath recruited him to Kent St for 2 seasons, and then the NFL.......this might not be correct though!
10-26-2021 07:47 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-26-2021 07:47 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 04:06 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Yeah well some MAC teams (see CMU) are playing tougher schedules than we are. But yes the schedule has improved. And many would disagree that the MAC will only be a one bid team this year.

Valid point Keith.
This's a total guess, but I believe he went to Michigan St then Eastern Michigan, then A JUCO in California, and then Heath recruited him to Kent St for 2 seasons, and then the NFL.......this might not be correct though!

I think the problem at MSU was they wouldn't let him play both sports.
10-26-2021 09:34 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-26-2021 09:34 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 03:34 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Heath comparing Golson to Antonio Gates is big time. As Gates, at 6’3” played forward for HC Heath at Kent State his freshman year, averaging 16-points and 8-rebounds per game.

Valid point Keith.

I would also add that Antonio Gates was 6’4. But I think the key to Miggy’s post still stands. Gates was a short “Power Forward” like Golson, and Heath comparing the too denotes high praise. So I think we know who is the starting PF.

Another interesting note on Gates: when he was at MSU wanting to dual/sport football/basketball, Heath was an assistant under Izzo. So the history between Heath/Gates probably extends beyond that one year at Kent St.
10-26-2021 09:58 PM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(10-26-2021 09:58 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 09:34 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 06:10 PM)KPJ Wrote:  I’m being very nit picky here, but Gates was nowhere near a freshman at Kent State. Kent State was at least his 4th institution of higher ed.

Valid point Keith.

I would also add that Antonio Gates was 6’4. But I think the key to Miggy’s post still stands. Gates was a short “Power Forward” like Golson, and Heath comparing the too denotes high praise. So I think we know who is the starting PF.

Another interesting note on Gates: when he was at MSU wanting to dual/sport football/basketball, Heath was an assistant under Izzo. So the history between Heath/Gates probably extends beyond that one year at Kent St.

Stand corrected. Kent State Sports Reference actually shows that he played in 18 basketball games for Eastern Michigan his freshmen year during the 1999-2000 season, and doesn’t show what school he attended nor even playing basketball the 2000-2001 season.

Next shows Gates playing basketball for Kent State as a junior during the 2001-2002 season, and playing the following season as well.
10-27-2021 07:05 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Back to basketball this year, I’m excited to see what Heath and the crew can accomplish this year. I’m sad I won’t be able to attend the game at Oakland this Thursday, but I’m looking forward to checking out the reviews. Here’s to good basketball with no injuries!
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2021 07:29 AM by KPJ.)
10-27-2021 07:25 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2021 07:25 AM)KPJ Wrote:  Back to basketball this year, I’m excited to see what Heath and the crew can accomplish this year. I’m sad I won’t be able to attend the game at Oakland this Thursday, but I’m looking forward to checking out the reviews. Here’s to good basketball with no injuries!

I believe the Scrimmage will be televised on ESPN2
10-27-2021 07:48 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2021 07:48 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 07:25 AM)KPJ Wrote:  Back to basketball this year, I’m excited to see what Heath and the crew can accomplish this year. I’m sad I won’t be able to attend the game at Oakland this Thursday, but I’m looking forward to checking out the reviews. Here’s to good basketball with no injuries!

ESPN+
10-27-2021 10:15 AM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

(10-27-2021 10:15 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

ESPN+

This is perfect. I’ll definitely be watching.
10-27-2021 10:33 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

ESPN+

Thanks for the correction Nickle.
10-27-2021 02:41 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(10-27-2021 10:33 AM)KPJ Wrote:  

ESPN+

This is perfect. I’ll definitely be watching.

Indeed, you are correct. This has been such a long off season. The excitement of the Heath hire, and bringing guys back, and bringing new guys in, etc just heightened my anticipation levels beyond manageable…

Can’t wait to see the Oakland scrimmage to at least find out who our starting lineup is…
10-27-2021 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.