Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Amherst College Ends Legacy Admissions
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
OT: Amherst College Ends Legacy Admissions
First it was Johns Hopkins, now Amherst…

I wonder when Rice will explicitly end legacy admissions (though I’m not sure it’s a huge advantage today), as we seem to be pretty “progressive” on issues like this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/i...sions.html
10-20-2021 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: OT: Amherst College Ends Legacy Admissions
I always thought being a Rice legacy was little more than a tiebreaker.
10-20-2021 06:15 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Rice has never given squat significance to legacy admissions. This has been a consistent complaint of our late 60s to late 70s graduate cohorts ever since. I recall an article, some years ago, obviously obsolete now, saying that Harvard accorded at least 93% of its admissions to some kind of legacy influence. This was maybe 20 years ago. The world has changed, but the strength of the University has continued to be affected, in no small part, on the strength of its legacy, writ large. But not at Rice.
10-20-2021 06:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Might depend on the parent(s) donation history.

Guess that means my grandson is screwed. He’ll just have to go to the school he prefers anyway.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2021 06:22 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
10-20-2021 06:21 PM
Advertisement

elw4796 Offline
Heisman

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. As somebody who grew up in the northeast, I hate, hate, hate what legacy expectations do to some kids growing up. I'm sure it's different in other areas of the country, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find somebody who grew up in the northeast who speaks positively of legacies (unless of course you've benefitted from the label). But I also think that if an alum's kid is legitimately qualified, and has a candidacy that is comparable to another applicant, he should have the tiebreaker. Maybe you even give a degree of wiggle room. But there have to be standards that are often missing - I went to high school with who knows how many kids who were given opportunities by way of family connections who were entirely undeserving.
10-20-2021 06:36 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-20-2021 06:36 PM)elw4796 Wrote:  But I also think that if an alum's kid is legitimately qualified, and has a candidacy that is comparable to another applicant, he should have the tiebreaker. Maybe you even give a degree of wiggle room.

Agree 100%. My son probably made it into Rice on his own, but being a double legacy probably didn't hurt.
10-20-2021 07:27 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(10-20-2021 06:17 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Rice has never given squat significance to legacy admissions. This has been a consistent complaint of our late 60s to late 70s graduate cohorts ever since. I recall an article, some years ago, obviously obsolete now, saying that Harvard accorded at least 93% of its admissions to some kind of legacy influence. This was maybe 20 years ago. The world has changed, but the strength of the University has continued to be affected, in no small part, on the strength of its legacy, writ large. But not at Rice.

My son would have been 4th generation and he had a ridiculous application. Wait listed, likely would have gone to Trinity anyway. He's doing just fine with his giant salary at Google.

If I was dictator of the world, I would fire every employee at all universities in the applications departments. Yes, applications as that it was they are really interested in, not admissions. Or maybe rename it as revenue. They get can get a real job instead of getting free trips (pre-virus) all over the country to meet potential applicants. Like Harvard actually needs to travel to California to encourage applicants?
10-20-2021 07:43 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-20-2021 06:17 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Rice has never given squat significance to legacy admissions. This has been a consistent complaint of our late 60s to late 70s graduate cohorts ever since. I recall an article, some years ago, obviously obsolete now, saying that Harvard accorded at least 93% of its admissions to some kind of legacy influence. This was maybe 20 years ago. The world has changed, but the strength of the University has continued to be affected, in no small part, on the strength of its legacy, writ large. But not at Rice.

There was an earlier conversation about the slow growth of the Rice endowment. When your child is able to follow you there, you tend to give more money. Not sure how big a factor that is, but fairly certain it's not zero.
10-20-2021 08:27 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
I wonder how many legacy students apply every year. Anyone know if Rice posts that kind of information?
10-21-2021 06:56 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(10-20-2021 07:43 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  

My son would have been 4th generation and he had a ridiculous application. Wait listed, likely would have gone to Trinity anyway. He's doing just fine with his giant salary at Google.

If I was dictator of the world, I would fire every employee at all universities in the applications departments. Yes, applications as that it was they are really interested in, not admissions. Or maybe rename it as revenue. They get can get a real job instead of getting free trips (pre-virus) all over the country to meet potential applicants. Like Harvard actually needs to travel to California to encourage applicants?

The best part is they hire 22-25 year olds who have never done anything post graduation to judge the applications of kids with stellar resumes. At some point they get promoted to running admissions and they’ve never left academia. Like all university administration it’s a giant circle jerk that keeps growing as they pay themselves more by increasing tuition.
10-21-2021 08:31 AM
Advertisement

texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(10-21-2021 08:31 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 07:43 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  

The best part is they hire 22-25 year olds who have never done anything post graduation to judge the applications of kids with stellar resumes. At some point they get promoted to running admissions and they’ve never left academia. Like all university administration it’s a giant circle jerk that keeps growing as they pay themselves more by increasing tuition.

we have a winner in the clubhouse.

I forgot to note in my rant was the admissions part was to generate a low acceptance rate. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to play that game, get everyone to apply.
10-21-2021 08:38 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-20-2021 08:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

There was an earlier conversation about the slow growth of the Rice endowment. When your child is able to follow you there, you tend to give more money. Not sure how big a factor that is, but fairly certain it's not zero.

And not just with the mega donors. I would have LOVED for both my kids to attend Rice... and I would give money then only to Rice. Now I'm donating to three Universities.
10-21-2021 08:46 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(10-21-2021 08:46 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 08:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

And not just with the mega donors. I would have LOVED for both my kids to attend Rice... and I would give money then only to Rice. Now I'm donating to three Universities.

I sponsor a scholarship at another school in my late son’s name. Had he attended Rice, that’s where it would be.
10-21-2021 09:34 AM
75src Offline
All American

But I got in then as a legacy.

10-21-2021 11:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.