Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Six Team AAC Expansion Apparently On The Way
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
Six Team AAC Expansion Apparently On The Way
Pete Thamel reports that Charlotte, FAU, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, and Rice are all submitting formal applications to join the AAC. Anyone who doesn’t think market size (ie-TV, etc) doesn’t play a big part in this stuff hasn’t been paying attention. Just look at the markets of those six schools- Charlotte, South Florida, Metro Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Birmingham. The word is that this is the first big step to making it happen, and that “application” is just a formality that needs to be done.

So, back to MJS’ point that the SBC is in a much stronger position than when the last shakeup happened. CUSA is certainly not going to be in any stronger position than the SBC as far as pouching schools from each other, etc. Stay tuned, this could get very interesting.
10-19-2021 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
RE: Six Team AAC Expansion Apparently On The Way
I personally would love for the Sun Belt to keep us and UTA, and add Southern Miss and Marshall. I do think we have to figure out a way to increase our budget after looking at all three conferences athletic budgets. The Spectacular event was certainly a good step in that direction.
10-19-2021 10:07 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2021 10:07 AM)Karl B Wrote:  I personally would love for the Sun Belt to keep us and UTA, and add Southern Miss and Marshall. I do think we have to figure out a way to increase our budget after looking at all three conferences athletic budgets. The Spectacular event was certainly a good step in that direction.

The most logical solution would be for the Sun Belt to add Southern Miss, La Tech, WKU, and Middle Tennessee. With LR and UTSA would make for the same format as now. And the CUSA to add Georgia State, Georgia Southern, App State, and Coastal, along with the pariah Liberty. That would make the SBC entirely in the Central Time Zone and the CUSA entirely in the Eastern Time Zone. UTEP, like New Mexico State, would need to look for a western solution.

But that would be logical, and these things don’t usually work out just along those lines!
10-19-2021 12:24 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(10-19-2021 12:24 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 10:07 AM)Karl B Wrote:  I personally would love for the Sun Belt to keep us and UTA, and add Southern Miss and Marshall. I do think we have to figure out a way to increase our budget after looking at all three conferences athletic budgets. The Spectacular event was certainly a good step in that direction.

The most logical solution would be for the Sun Belt to add Southern Miss, La Tech, WKU, and Middle Tennessee. With LR and UTSA would make for the same format as now. And the CUSA to add Georgia State, Georgia Southern, App State, and Coastal, along with the pariah Liberty. That would make the SBC entirely in the Central Time Zone and the CUSA entirely in the Eastern Time Zone. UTEP, like New Mexico State, would need to look for a western solution.

But that would be logical, and these things don’t usually work out just along those lines!

The Sun Belt has no plans to throw a lifeline to CUSA. They'll take USM and Marshall (and maybe a couple of others) and let CUSA die on the vine.
10-19-2021 12:33 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2021 12:33 PM)mjs Wrote:  

The Sun Belt has no plans to throw a lifeline to CUSA. They'll take USM and Marshall (and maybe a couple of others) and let CUSA die on the vine.

Well if that turned out to be the case, the couple of others would logically be WKU and MTSU. I don’t think there is any bad blood between those two schools and SBC members, unlike La Tech.
10-19-2021 12:47 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-19-2021 12:47 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 12:33 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Well if that turned out to be the case, the couple of others would logically be WKU and MTSU. I don’t think there is any bad blood between those two schools and SBC members, unlike La Tech.

Other than lobbying hard to move the basketball tournament out of Hot Springs, and then immediately leaving for CUSA. But, I guess most of our football members don't care a whole lot about that.
10-19-2021 01:05 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-19-2021 09:30 AM)PTJR Wrote:  Pete Thamel reports that Charlotte, FAU, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, and Rice are all submitting formal applications to join the AAC. Anyone who doesn’t think market size (ie-TV, etc) doesn’t play a big part in this stuff hasn’t been paying attention. Just look at the markets of those six schools- Charlotte, South Florida, Metro Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Birmingham. The word is that this is the first big step to making it happen, and that “application” is just a formality that needs to be done.

So, back to MJS’ point that the SBC is in a much stronger position than when the last shakeup happened. CUSA is certainly not going to be in any stronger position than the SBC as far as pouching schools from each other, etc. Stay tuned, this could get very interesting.

In an odd way, I'm not sure this doesn't have the potential to strengthen CUSA, as it gets rid of some far flung teams and make them a more compact conference. May be more appealing for Marshall to stay where they are. Hopefully, we still are more appealing to USM.
10-19-2021 01:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.