Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Soccer v BGSU
Bookmark and Share
Huskie D Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Niu
Men's Soccer v BGSU
After the football game, hopefully the crowd heads over to the other futbol game. This should be a very entertaining match on Saturday. BGSU comes to campus with a two game winning streak and is ranked #23 (College Soccer News released poll from 10/11). The Huskies are averaging 3 goals per game; BGSU is at 2 goals per game. Martin Sanchez has allowed in only 3 goals all season and is on a 7 game shutout streak.

The Huskies Adrian Lara was named this week's Co-MAC player of the week and shares the honor with Alberto Anaya of BGSU.

(BTW, College Soccer News ranks NIU at #30 in their just released rankings.)
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021 09:40 PM by Huskie D.)
10-11-2021 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Men's Soccer v BGSU
This is a weekend I wished I lived near NIU. Both games mean a lot.
I went to the Univ. of Reno, NV game last weekend against NM State. It was a blow out, but the fans there were into the game for the most part.
Hopefully, some NIU team will travel over this way someday soon.
10-12-2021 08:20 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

We beat #4 and #18, and they disrespect us with #30?
10-12-2021 08:51 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-12-2021 08:51 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  We beat #4 and #18, and they disrespect us with #30?

Yea I don't get that.
10-12-2021 09:49 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-12-2021 09:49 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-12-2021 08:51 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  We beat #4 and #18, and they disrespect us with #30?

Yea I don't get that.

Guess all the other top 25 teams must have multiple wins over ranked teams as well?
10-12-2021 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(10-12-2021 09:52 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Yea I don't get that.

Guess all the other top 25 teams must have multiple wins over ranked teams as well?

Does not seem right we haven't broken the top 25.
10-12-2021 09:57 AM
Advertisement

NorthCoast Away
Your DEFINITIVE MAC source

I Root For: NIU/Equity/Beer
(10-12-2021 09:57 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(10-12-2021 09:52 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Yea I don't get that.

Does not seem right we haven't broken the top 25.

Actually, College Soccer News (CSN) puts out a weekly Top 30 poll. So, NIU technically has “broken through” per se.

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-so...r-10-2021/

The United Soccer Coaches poll, on the other hand, is a Top 25 and the latest rankings should be released later today.
10-12-2021 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NorthCoast Away

NIU has moved up the 3rd (up from 7th last week) in the United Soccer Coaches North Region, which puts them above both West Virginia and Akron (still one spot behind BGSU) and could mean that NIU may break into the Top 25 when the National Rankings are released in the next few minutes.

There it is, NIU ranked #22 this week.
https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings...aa-di-men/

Their rankings are a bit confusing, WVU is at #21 one spot ahead of NIU but is behind the Huskies in the Region rankings. Last week, NIU was behind Wisconsin in the Region yet Wisconsin didn’t receive any votes in the National Poll but NIU did. There doesn’t appear to be a direct correlation between their own ranking systems.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 11:56 AM by NorthCoast.)
10-12-2021 11:33 AM
NorthCoast Away

Going to post this here too.
(10-09-2021 05:13 PM)NorthCoast Wrote:  FINAL: NIU defeats #4 West Virginia 2-0. Defense getting it done. Adrian Lara opened up the scoring in the 35’ and Eddie Knight iced it with a goal in the 88’. Nick Markanich‘s consecutive match scoring streak came to an end but Martin Sanchez extended his consecutive shutout streak to seven (eight overall shutouts on the season).

Ninth straight win and the seventh straight shutout by NIU. The team improves to 10-1 on the season with 32 goals scored and just 3 goals against.

Next match: Saturday 10/16, 7pm CT - #22 NIU hosts defending MAC Champ #17 Bowling Green.

Attendance and parking is FREE.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 12:06 PM by NorthCoast.)
10-12-2021 12:02 PM
Huskie D Offline
Water Engineer

I am hoping Athletics makes a strong cross promotion effort for the soccer game during the football game. How about an on field promotion of having a student kick a soccer ball instead of a football through the goal post? How about grabbing some pins from the HSC and letting a student bowl with a soccer ball? At the very least, a few PSAs would not hurt and/or video on the scoreboard?!
10-12-2021 05:07 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men...er-coaches

This poll has em in the top 25. One slot below West Virginia? Makes sense lol.

If they beat BG this weekend , at 11-1, they should be top 15. Soccer isn’t like P5 football and basketball as you can see with a top 5 New Hampshire squad.

This is a dangerous team. Would love them to shock the world and make the Elite 8 or better. Def possible.
10-12-2021 07:55 PM
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(10-12-2021 11:33 AM)NorthCoast Wrote:  NIU has moved up the 3rd (up from 7th last week) in the United Soccer Coaches North Region, which puts them above both West Virginia and Akron (still one spot behind BGSU) and could mean that NIU may break into the Top 25 when the National Rankings are released in the next few minutes.

Their rankings are a bit confusing, WVU is at #21 one spot ahead of NIU but is behind the Huskies in the Region rankings. Last week, NIU was behind Wisconsin in the Region yet Wisconsin didn’t receive any votes in the National Poll but NIU did. There doesn’t appear to be a direct correlation between their own ranking systems.

I don't usually follow soccer but how is University Of Pittsburgh with an 8-3-0 record #7? James Madison University with an 10-2-0 record #15 and we are #22?

Or #3 Marshall University and #5 Virginia Tech 7-1-3?

I guess Marshall is the soccer equivalent of Notre Dame, Virginia Tech is the soccer equivalent of Ohio State, Pitt is the soccer equivalent of Alabama, Maryland is the soccer equivalent of Michigan and NIU is the soccer equivalent of the Northern Illinois Huskies.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 08:12 PM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
10-12-2021 08:06 PM
uiniu57 Online
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(10-12-2021 07:55 PM)jjprender Wrote:  https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men...er-coaches
If they beat BG this weekend , at 11-1, they should be top 15. Soccer isn’t like P5 football and basketball as you can see with a top 5 New Hampshire squad.
This is a dangerous team. Would love them to shock the world and make the Elite 8 or better. Def possible.

We have an excellent team but don't go getting ahead of ourselves.
While men's soccer doesn't fit into football's P5, don't kid yourself into thinking there are not tradition-rich conferences that make any path beyond the first or second round a major achievement.
Close to half the B1G could be in the men's soccer field and the ACC has perrenial powerhouse programs, as does the Big East. New Hampshire being there is probably temporary but don't look past 6-Kentucky, 7-Pitt, 8-Tulsa, 11-Saint Louis, 13-Oregon State, 16-UNCG, 18-FIU, or 23-Clemson as teams more capable of long advances.
Let's just concentrate on beating Bowling Green.
Coach Swan and this group of Huskies know to take it one match at a time. Both Georgia Southern and Georgia State are new to the MAC and who knows if the officiating down there will be peachy. Talk about two programs not even getting votes who will be difficult foes, how about our home finale with Akron followed by the season closer at a very difficult road venue waiting at Portland.
10-12-2021 08:18 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2021 08:18 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(10-12-2021 07:55 PM)jjprender Wrote:  https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men...er-coaches

We have an excellent team but don't go getting ahead of ourselves.
While men's soccer doesn't fit into football's P5, don't kid yourself into thinking there are not tradition-rich conferences that make any path beyond the first or second round a major achievement.
Close to half the B1G could be in the men's soccer field and the ACC has perrenial powerhouse programs, as does the Big East. New Hampshire being there is probably temporary but don't look past 6-Kentucky, 7-Pitt, 8-Tulsa, 11-Saint Louis, 13-Oregon State, 16-UNCG, 18-FIU, or 23-Clemson as teams more capable of long advances.
Let's just concentrate on beating Bowling Green.
Coach Swan and this group of Huskies know to take it one match at a time. Both Georgia Southern and Georgia State are new to the MAC and who knows if the officiating down there will be peachy. Talk about two programs not even getting votes who will be difficult foes, how about our home finale with Akron followed by the season closer at a very difficult road venue waiting at Portland.

At 11-1 , I’m ahead of myself. Light years ahead of myself and lovin it!04-cheers04-cheers
10-12-2021 08:24 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2021 08:06 PM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  
(10-12-2021 11:33 AM)NorthCoast Wrote:  NIU has moved up the 3rd (up from 7th last week) in the United Soccer Coaches North Region, which puts them above both West Virginia and Akron (still one spot behind BGSU) and could mean that NIU may break into the Top 25 when the National Rankings are released in the next few minutes.

I don't usually follow soccer but how is University Of Pittsburgh with an 8-3-0 record #7? James Madison University with an 10-2-0 record #15 and we are #22?

I guess Marshall is the soccer equivalent of Notre Dame, Virginia Tech is the soccer equivalent of Ohio State, Pitt is the soccer equivalent of Alabama, Maryland is the soccer equivalent of Michigan and NIU is the soccer equivalent of the Northern Illinois Huskies.

In sport and in life…. The hard way. 04-cheers LFG!
10-12-2021 08:25 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-12-2021 08:06 PM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  

The ACC is the best soccer conference in the nation and Pitt was in the College Cup simis last year against Indiana. They started preseason #4.

And well Marshall is #3 because they have the 2nd hardest schedule in the nation. Plus they are the Defending National Champions.

Marshall's only loss was to then #15 VA Tech as the #1 team in the nation and they gave that game away as they had a 2 Nil lead at the half and lost 3-2.

Soccer is an NCAA sport anyone can compete in if the school puts a little effort in it. Its not like football or even basketball. Last years champions in men's and women's soccer come from CUSA and the WCC, with Marshall winning on the men's side and Santa Clara on the women's side.

Congrats on cracking the Top 25 this week.
10-12-2021 08:42 PM
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
05-bump
10-14-2021 07:19 AM
Huskie D Offline
Water Engineer

Nice article from Athletics about Saturday's game. Coach Swan is right, "...tomorrow is a great opportunity for a wonderful day of Huskie athletics. Go watch the football game and come over and finish your evening at the soccer complex." This will be a highly entertaining match...looking forward to a Huskie "W" https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/10/15/m...wdown.aspx
10-15-2021 12:59 PM
NorthCoast Away

10-15-2021 04:30 PM
NorthCoast Away

(10-15-2021 04:30 PM)NorthCoast Wrote:  https://twitter.com/NIUMSoccer/status/14...4104540162

05-bump
10-16-2021 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.