Bookmark and Share
griffin Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Stadium other Various Data to consume
Various Topics

Season Ticket Sales - Stadium

1) This season 16,500
2) Past 6 or so seasons - 16,500 roughly - give or take, so there has been no net gain on the "average" of this fantastic run we have had
3) Bowen's first year - the reason he didn't announce it back then and even today since the numbers are so low was because the total had fallen to a little more than 6000. RC had been padding the end of the West era and Porter era with band, passes anything he could count etc and counting them in season ticket sales.
4) Memphis is in a economically depressed area - it is what it is. A city where half of the market is black and half white. African Americans do not buy season tickets in any significant way to Memphis football. Memphis fans in general do not buy enough based on our market size.
5) Even after Penny was announced in basketball as the coach, the actual season ticket sales while greatly increased from the very low pastner and tubby years was overall all disappointing in what they thought would occur

Crowd Estimates

1) 16,500 base as foundation for Memphis football
2) Outside of big games, 25% of those do not come - your base is now 12,000 or so.
3) From there would be your individual game tickets sold
4) Do the math
5) Tulsa as an example, like every team embellishes the crowd - announced 17.500...no more than 4000 attended

Stadium

1) The university found out about the announcement when we all did - they were not consulted or brought into the process.
2) The University and their "partners" were not aware this was going on in the process it was going on.
3) We have some "partners" who are not happy about this
4) NEW STADIUM: If there will be one, do not look for one in the 45,000 range, think 35 to 38, possibly push to 40K.

Random

1) Memphis true freshman kicker - is known on the team as having a "hurt v a g i n a" - apparently lost a lot of respects of the players in a big way and coaches - sure we will be recruiting another one or two
3) Asst Basketball coach who was fired from his last job because he had a "dic pic" on the cloud of that university is no longer on our staff here. Was here for only one year. Was informed this weekend.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2021 12:48 PM by griffin.)
10-10-2021 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerengineer Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers!
RE: Stadium other Various Data to consume
thanks for the perspective
10-10-2021 01:30 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(10-10-2021 12:42 PM)griffin Wrote:  Various Topics

1) This season 16,500
2) Past 6 or so seasons - 16,500 roughly - give or take, so there has been no net gain on the "average" of this fantastic run we have had
3) Bowen's first year - the reason he didn't announce it back then and even today since the numbers are so low was because the total had fallen to a little more than 6000. RC had been padding the end of the West era and Porter era with band, passes anything he could count etc and counting them in season ticket sales.
4) Memphis is in a economically depressed area - it is what it is. A city where half of the market is black and half white. African Americans do not buy season tickets in any significant way to Memphis football. Memphis fans in general do not buy enough based on our market size.
5) Even after Penny was announced in basketball as the coach, the actual season ticket sales while greatly increased from the very low pastner and tubby years was overall all disappointing in what they thought would occur

Crowd Estimates

2) Outside of big games, 25% of those do not come - your base is now 12,000 or so.
4) Do the math
5) Tulsa as an example, like every team embellishes the crowd - announced 17.500...no more than 4000 attended

Stadium

1) The university found out about the announcement when we all did - they were not consulted or brought into the process.
2) The University and their "partners" were not aware this was going on in the process it was going on.
4) NEW STADIUM: If there will be one, do not look for one in the 45,000 range, think 35 to 38, possibly push to 40K.

Random

1) Memphis true freshman kicker - is known on the team as having a "hurt v a g i n a" - apparently lost a lot of respects of the players in a big way and coaches - sure we will be recruiting another one or two
3) Asst Basketball coach who was fired from his last job because he had a "dic pic" on the cloud of that university is no longer on our staff here. Was here for only one year. Was informed this weekend.

Interesting - thanks
10-10-2021 01:40 PM
bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
Thanks, Griffin. The kicker better come out of it, or it is going to be a very, very long season. Might be anyway. Just mho.
10-10-2021 01:59 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
when he missed the PAT, the look on the faces of some of our players was not good, to say the least
10-10-2021 02:08 PM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
Number 4 is why we didn’t get in the Big 12 despite what everyone says about the stadium and all that stuff. But apparently nobody wants to talk about it so it is what it is.
10-10-2021 02:38 PM
Advertisement

Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
(10-10-2021 02:38 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Number 4 is why we didn’t get in the Big 12 despite what everyone says about the stadium and all that stuff. But apparently nobody wants to talk about it so it is what it is.

I knew you’d come around. 04-cheers

03-lmfao
10-10-2021 02:59 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(10-10-2021 12:42 PM)griffin Wrote:  4) NEW STADIUM: If there will be one, do not look for one in the 45,000 range, think 35 to 38, possibly push to 40K.

Not exactly a surprise for me when I was looking at the past attendance numbers. I would hope 40k would be the baseline considering future goals and keeping us with Houston and Cincinnati. I would still like to see it designed as a multi-purpose facility for football and basketball. I support the Grizzlies and always want them to do well, but I would also like the Tigers to operate separately from them. To me at times it feels like the Tigers were "obligated" to move to the FedExForum to help keep the Grizzlies in Memphis in the long run. And if that were true it's not the university's responsibility to do so.

Also was there a #2 under Random or just mis-numbered?

(10-10-2021 02:59 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 02:38 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Number 4 is why we didn’t get in the Big 12 despite what everyone says about the stadium and all that stuff. But apparently nobody wants to talk about it so it is what it is.

03-lmfao

Maybe we didn't do the math? 03-lol

4) Do the math
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2021 05:38 PM by Alanda.)
10-10-2021 03:31 PM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
he deleted # 2 before posting

its still viewable in the edit logs

glad he deleted it
10-10-2021 04:02 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Just found out about Jermaine Johnson?
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2021 05:15 PM by Tiger87.)
10-10-2021 05:14 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-10-2021 05:14 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Just found out about Jermaine Johnson?

Two other schools knew it before he even came here, would have been easy to find out if anyone was curious
10-10-2021 10:26 PM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(10-10-2021 12:42 PM)griffin Wrote:  Various Topics

1) This season 16,500

Crowd Estimates

4) Do the math

Stadium

Random

I'm not necessarily disputing anything that you are saying, but at the same time, you are being very "Memphis" in this post; which isn't typical of you for everything, but in this case it is.

You Are Being Memphis IF...
- You think we were deserving of having 2008 vacated, when Rose wasn't interviewed, and hundreds of other schools slid with worse infractions and more proof

- Bonus points for pointing out that we deserved to get hammered for Rose's test or non test when UNC had sham courses for decades

- You think that we deserve to get hammered for Wiseman, when Zion's family got hundreds of thousands of dollars of obvious benefits

- Saying that there is no excuse for POS refereeing costing us games, we should be able to fight through adversity. How about OTHER teams fight through adversity when we get calls?

- Saying we should have violated the court order with Wiseman. Violate the court order??? Are you ******* kidding?

- Saying the team/coaches suck at the first sign of adversity

- Pointing out all of the shortcomings with attendance when our attendance in both sports has been much higher than either Cincinnati or Houston since forever.

So I appreciate you breaking down the numbers like this, but in the end, the "bad" numbers that you are describing are still much better than Houston, Cincinnati's and on par with UCF's for football, while crushing UCF in basketball.
10-11-2021 12:43 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM

03-lmfao

Number 4 in regards to ticket sales but you continue to whip that dead horse if it makes you feel good
10-11-2021 07:20 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

People are confused these days.
10-11-2021 11:50 AM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
(10-11-2021 07:20 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Number 4 in regards to ticket sales but you continue to whip that dead horse if it makes you feel good

Which dead horse might that be? Specifics, please.

As far as season ticket sales, Houston’s sales have been cratering for years. Their numbers are less than ours. Cincinnati has enjoyed an uptick due to expectations for ‘21, but we’re still in the same ballpark. Both recently joined the Big12.
10-11-2021 11:55 AM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Back to the OP - Thanks for the insights. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I am now learning just how inept our former ADs were and we are now suffering the consequences of their lack of action and foresight, and their total incompetence.

Even if griffin's numbers are approximations, the first subject #1 & #2 may have fed into the Big12-2-2+4's decision process for selections. Even if we know that our numbers are comparable to Cincy, UCF and UH, the reality (or perception of reality) of "Memphis is in a economically depressed area - it is what it is" may have been the dividing line.
10-11-2021 03:51 PM
Advertisement

ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
I think another factoid is our Alumni 'production rate'.

While we where founded in 1912 it was as a teachers college.
It wasn't until much later that we became a univ.
So the reality is somewhere around 1959 we started ginning out 2.5-3.5k in grads.
Doing 'that math' that gets us about 90k alumni in the 90's and it wasn't till recently we had more than 180k.
Older schools than us (those in our area) have 250k alumni.
As you might expect alumni have friends and family they influence.
Which generates fans.
We need to cook this a few more years. Like 20.
10-11-2021 04:00 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(10-11-2021 04:00 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  I think another factoid is our Alumni 'production rate'.

While we where founded in 1912 it was as a teachers college.
It wasn't until much later that we became a univ.
So the reality is somewhere around 1959 we started ginning out 2.5-3.5k in grads.
Doing 'that math' that gets us about 90k alumni in the 90's and it wasn't till recently we had more than 180k.
Older schools than us (those in our area) have 250k alumni.
As you might expect alumni have friends and family they influence.
Which generates fans.
We need to cook this a few more years. Like 20.

Florida State was a teachers college and didn't admit men until 1946. It just takes one good coach.
10-11-2021 04:39 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2021 03:51 PM)former guest Wrote:  Back to the OP - Thanks for the insights. Maybe I'm in the minority

Why you gotta make this a racial issue?
10-11-2021 04:40 PM
CRM114 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-11-2021 03:51 PM)former guest Wrote:  Back to the OP - Thanks for the insights. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I am now learning just how inept our former ADs were and we are now suffering the consequences of their lack of action and foresight, and their total incompetence.

Even if griffin's numbers are approximations, the first subject #1 & #2 may have fed into the Big12-2-2+4's decision process for selections. Even if we know that our numbers are comparable to Cincy, UCF and UH, the reality (or perception of reality) of "Memphis is in a economically depressed area - it is what it is" may have been the dividing line.

Calling Memphis "economically depressed" is going overboard. Underperforming is accurate, but "depressed" suggests things like chronically high unemployment, significant population loss, net decline in regional GDP, etc. Those things have not been occurring. The problem is really stagnation. Population-wise the metro area only grew 2% since 2010. No mass exodus of people and jobs, but no real growth engine to get momentum going. Basically just treading water.

But, to your point, compared to the markets of Houston, UCF, BYU and, to a lesser extent, Cincinnati, the Memphis area does not look like the place to go if you want to expand your audience. There is really nothing that university administration can do to change that, not in the short term.
10-11-2021 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.