RE: Boise and SDSU staying in the MWC
That is excellent news for UAB.
09-30-2021 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I think they'll make a run at another MWC team or two but UAB will be a clear choice for sure now. Now let's go fill that stadium and win the game. I'm hoping they get one more western team to keep Memphis and Tulane in the east with us. I'd be fine with it being UTSA or Rice, TBH.
09-30-2021 12:58 PM
Steel Dragon Offline
2nd String

(09-30-2021 12:58 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I think they'll make a run at another MWC team or two but UAB will be a clear choice for sure now. Now let's go fill that stadium and win the game. I'm hoping they get one more western team to keep Memphis and Tulane in the east with us. I'd be fine with it being UTSA or Rice, TBH.
Memphis is probably gone soon
09-30-2021 01:31 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I dont understand any team leaving the MWC for the AAC. MWC is a better bball and football conference than the AAC once the 3 Big 12 teams leave. If Boise and Memphis leave, the MWC is still better.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 01:34 PM by BlazintheAtl1.)
09-30-2021 01:33 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

EXCELLENT development for UAB!! This essentially halts Aresco’s want for a western side. He’ll have to look back East. I think we’re already in, but this does grease the wheels
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 02:02 PM by blazr.)
09-30-2021 02:00 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-30-2021 01:33 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  I dont understand any team leaving the MWC for the AAC. MWC is a better bball and football conference than the AAC once the 3 Big 12 teams leave. If Boise and Memphis leave, the MWC is still better.

Air Force really wants to go to the AAC, Colorado St seems to be hesitant according to Dennis Dodd.

Dennis Dodd
@dennisdoddcbs

Confirmed to
@CBSSports

. Boise and SDSU staying in MWC. AAC still with sights on Colo St and Air Force. Air Force more interested than Colo St. If MWC remains somewhat together it likely becomes the top G5 conference in terms of access to CFP. First reported by
@PeteThamel
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 02:03 PM by HiddenDragon.)
09-30-2021 02:03 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...so... guess the AFA/CSU decision is what's next on the clock... but I think this is REALLY positive news, as even if those two MWC teams are added, they will 'balance' with Eastern teams... so, UAB and... ? ...if a Texas presence other than SMU is desired by the AAC - Rice has been kicked around, but... I would think UTSA, if you are willing to take a risk on a newer program with a pretty high potential... otherwise, Marshall may be on the clock.
09-30-2021 02:50 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I think they are crazy if they don't go with UAB and UTSA. UTSA is a budding monster if you put them in the American.
09-30-2021 03:15 PM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
AFA and Colorado are practically joined at the hip so if one balks then they both stay in the MWC.
Then it would be a free for all as to who the AAC takes.
I just wish they would choose the best programs available not so much markets or institutional prestige.
09-30-2021 03:19 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(09-30-2021 02:03 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(09-30-2021 01:33 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  I dont understand any team leaving the MWC for the AAC. MWC is a better bball and football conference than the AAC once the 3 Big 12 teams leave. If Boise and Memphis leave, the MWC is still better.

Air Force really wants to go to the AAC, Colorado St seems to be hesitant according to Dennis Dodd.

Dennis Dodd
@dennisdoddcbs

Confirmed to
@CBSSports

. Boise and SDSU staying in MWC. AAC still with sights on Colo St and Air Force. Air Force more interested than Colo St. If MWC remains somewhat together it likely becomes the top G5 conference in terms of access to CFP. First reported by
@PeteThamel

But...but...but...Aresco said the AAC is only talking to teams that reached out to them!!!
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 03:24 PM by WesternBlazer.)
09-30-2021 03:24 PM
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Add UAB with some of the top tier Sun Belt teams and you get a league stronger than MWC. MWC is in a fragile state because Boise wants out. That league will fall to pieces if that happens. I’m not as convinced as some that Boise will actually get a Big XII deal.

Memphis I think is a likely departure to the Big XII. Depending what happens with UAB in the next couple years, I could see a UAB being more appealing than Boise, crazy as that sounds. Some have also talked SMU which I think is unlikely. Years ago before all of the realignment talk really ramped up, I could envision a scenario in which UAB and Memphis were brought in to the Big XII. This is based on geography, markets and potential in both football and basketball. I can still see that scenario happening but I think much will depend on what happens with UAB and Boise in the next 2 years.
09-30-2021 09:55 PM
notnow Offline
1st String

To be honest, any team from the group of 5 that goes undefeated will be considered as the G5 representative in any CFP scenario. Not saying they WILL be, only saying they will be strongly considered. So I am not of the opinion that any conference would never be considered. With more than 1 undefeated teams the representative for CFP will likely be the team with the more impressive wins. A one loss team may be selected over an undefeated team. But I am fairly certain that any team considered will have to be a conference champion.
10-01-2021 05:12 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-30-2021 09:55 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Add UAB with some of the top tier Sun Belt teams and you get a league stronger than MWC. MWC is in a fragile state because Boise wants out. That league will fall to pieces if that happens. I’m not as convinced as some that Boise will actually get a Big XII deal.

Memphis I think is a likely departure to the Big XII. Depending what happens with UAB in the next couple years, I could see a UAB being more appealing than Boise, crazy as that sounds. Some have also talked SMU which I think is unlikely. Years ago before all of the realignment talk really ramped up, I could envision a scenario in which UAB and Memphis were brought in to the Big XII. This is based on geography, markets and potential in both football and basketball. I can still see that scenario happening but I think much will depend on what happens with UAB and Boise in the next 2 years.

If the MWC conference is in a fragile state because Boise wants out then what the heck does that make the AAC with three teams already out the door and another one probably gone sooner than later? I'll tell you, even more fragile. You got spirit kid but it not rooted in reality.

Fact is the MWC is far more stable than the AAC even with the lack of confidence with their commissioner. You say the MWC is fragile without Boise then in the same breath says you don't think Boise will be invited to the Big XII. Boise staying in the MWC makes it the top G5 conference period.

1. Boise is a lock for the Big XII which is why they are not leaving the MWC yet. Even Thompson knows this.

2. Until UAB can start beating some P5 programs they can't even be mentioned in the same breath with Boise as far as on the field performance goes. Boise hasn't had a losing season since 1997 and since 2008 has the best winning percentage in college football.

Truth be told, the AAC is the next step for UAB. Until then, start beating good teams like Liberty tomorrow night to add quality wins with the CUSA championships to UAB's resume. Hope like heck that the Big 12 eventually goes to 16 teams in the next 10 years and then UAB has a shot to move up.

Enjoy the game tomorrow!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021 08:42 AM by HiddenDragon.)
10-01-2021 07:39 AM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
Looks like AFA and Colorado State are staying in the MWC also....
10-01-2021 09:22 AM
bftb Online
Go Blazers!

10-01-2021 09:28 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

Wow... That will surely humble the AAC board a little.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021 09:32 AM by ICB.)
10-01-2021 09:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(10-01-2021 09:32 AM)ICB Wrote:  Wow... That will surely humble the AAC board a little.

Its doom and gloom over there.
10-01-2021 09:33 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-01-2021 09:33 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 09:32 AM)ICB Wrote:  Wow... That will surely humble the AAC board a little.

As well as it should be. First, it was them calling Bowlsby dead commissioner walking and he ended f'ing the AAC. Then they did the same to Thompson (probably deserved though) and now he has rebuked the AAC advances.

Welp, time for UAB to step up their game to help save the AAC now.
10-01-2021 10:17 AM
CyberBlazer Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2021 10:17 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 09:33 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

As well as it should be. First, it was them calling Bowlsby dead commissioner walking and he ended f'ing the AAC. Then they did the same to Thompson (probably deserved though) and now he has rebuked the AAC advances.

Welp, time for UAB to step up their game to help save the AAC now.

A few weeks ago, as far as they were concerned, UAB was a Pig with lipstick03-puke Now UAB is Cinderella

Wouldn't it be a hoot if we rejected them03-lmfao
10-01-2021 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.