Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern Football Coach Search Thread - 2021 Edition
Bookmark and Share
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Creating a catch all thread for the GS Coaching Search.
09-29-2021 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Georgia Southern Football Coach Search Thread - 2021 Edition
Just to bring over from the other post, from RamblinRedWolf:

https://fifthquarter.net/g5/2021/09/29/l...-southern/

-Kennesaw State HC Brian Bohannon
-Former Ga Southern and Ga Tech HC Paul Johnson
-Army OC Brent Davis
-Former Auburn HC Gene Chizik
Former Tennessee HC Jeremy Pruitt
-Georgia RB Coach Dell McGee
09-29-2021 08:34 AM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
If we are looking to go back to the flex which I highly doubt Bohannon and Davis are the top 2
09-29-2021 08:35 AM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I would rather keep the interim HC (former player, ran flex) than to have Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt, seriously?
09-29-2021 09:15 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(09-29-2021 08:34 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Just to bring over from the other post, from RamblinRedWolf:

-Army OC Brent Davis

Like I said in the other thread Dell McGee is the only one of those I really belive could be considered but I'm good with at least looking at the others. Johnson and Bohannon would be the two I wouldn't want. Johnson is retired and GT was only occasionally relevant in the ACC. Bohannon is a good coach but not a great one...we might as well have kept Lunsford if we hire another "good coach" I mean he's never won a FCS playoff game in spite of playing in a watered down FCS playoff.
09-29-2021 09:20 AM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

GT has only occasionally been relevant in the last 60 years, and the winningest coach since that time. Given that it's GT, that's quite a feat IMO. As far as Bohannon, KSU is 1 of like 8 teams that have multiple playoff appearances since about the time we joined FBS. . Question is, would KSU have done better than had they gone with something else? Who knows. Either way, if you don't like the flex, just say so. It's ok to not like it.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2021 09:32 AM by stingingeagle.)
09-29-2021 09:30 AM
Advertisement

All American

(09-29-2021 09:30 AM)stingingeagle Wrote:  GT has only occasionally been relevant in the last 60 years, and the winningest coach since that time. Given that it's GT, that's quite a feat IMO. As far as Bohannon, KSU is 1 of like 8 teams that have multiple playoff appearances. Question is, would KSU have done better than had they gone with something else? Who knows. Either way, if you don't like the flex, just say so. It's ok to not like it.

I have nothing against the flex. We are not currently built to run it but otherwise it's fine. With our current personnel we are built for the spread or spread option. Any coach we hire needs to have the maturity and IQ to mold his offense to the personnel unless we want to do a 3 year rebuild.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2021 09:37 AM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
09-29-2021 09:37 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(09-29-2021 08:34 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Just to bring over from the other post, from RamblinRedWolf:

-Army OC Brent Davis

So that guy is a complete moron. Dell probably is the only semi-realistic candidate.
09-29-2021 04:19 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(09-29-2021 09:20 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

-Army OC Brent Davis

Like I said in the other thread Dell McGee is the only one of those I really belive could be considered but I'm good with at least looking at the others. Johnson and Bohannon would be the two I wouldn't want. Johnson is retired and GT was only occasionally relevant in the ACC. Bohannon is a good coach but not a great one...we might as well have kept Lunsford if we hire another "good coach" I mean he's never won a FCS playoff game in spite of playing in a watered down FCS playoff.

Sorry for invading the sun belt board. I wanted to see how at risk we were of losing coach Bo.

1. You're right. Just a good coach. You totally don't want him. Imagine southern with a modernized offense. You'd be unstoppable! Please don't take him from us.

2. We have won fcs playoff games! I think we made it to the quarterfinal twice so far.
09-29-2021 04:21 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
I think if you give Bohannon a real FBS budget and players, he can build a program at this level. Can you imagine Bohannon still at the KSU sideline when GS hosts them in few years?
09-29-2021 04:32 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(09-29-2021 04:21 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  

-Army OC Brent Davis

Sorry for invading the sun belt board. I wanted to see how at risk we were of losing coach Bo.

1. You're right. Just a good coach. You totally don't want him. Imagine southern with a modernized offense. You'd be unstoppable! Please don't take him from us.

2. We have won fcs playoff games! I think we made it to the quarterfinal twice so far.

I think that's one of the arguments against coach Bo. He seems to only be able to make it to the quarter finals before meeting stiffer defenses, and then can't adjust and win those games.

I dont think that we are going back to the flex, so you won't have to worry. I do think though that GS needs to stop with the hybrid crap. Either go full flex or go to some spread offense. We need an identity.
09-29-2021 04:58 PM
Advertisement

boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
Georgia State fans (here and on Twitter) seem real keen for us to take a Bohannon from KSU. I don’t really care it’s just interesting that they all seem to want that. I DON’T personally want to go flex at all, but considering KSU gave state a helluva game a few years back and what army recently did to the Panthers I’m surprised y’all would want that
09-29-2021 07:53 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

It could be they want Kennesaw to fail for fear of gaining traction in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-29-2021 08:07 PM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

Kennesaw State is in the Big South conference. From my research, Big South football consists of Monmouth, Hampton, Robert Morris, Gardner Webb, Campbell, North Carolina AT&T, North Alabama, and Charleston Southern. Since the time Kennesaw State joined, Monmouth has been to playoffs 3 times, Hampton - 0, Robert Morris - 0, Gardner-Webb - 0, NC AT&T - 0 (just joined), North Alabama - 0, Charleston Southern - 1. So, Kennesaw State and Monmouth have made the playoffs more than anyone else in the conference. To put this in perspective, we have been to the FCS playoffs 19 times. Big South does not appear to produce strong teams, and for Kennesaw to have gone to the playoffs 3 times out of 5 years they've been playing is pretty good, IMO. They won more games in the first 5 years than we did.

Not saying this to support Bohannon, only that folks need to compare apples to apples and consider what he has accomplished in the situation he is in.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 07:45 AM by stingingeagle.)
09-30-2021 07:44 AM
All American

(09-29-2021 04:21 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  

-Army OC Brent Davis

I stand corrected I had "been told" that he had never won in the playoff but I see now you guys have made the quarterfinal twice. It's what I get for not looking it up myself.
09-30-2021 07:49 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

There's a lot of questions to be answered to narrow down a coaching search. I'll lean to those that have yet to be discussed in the thread .....

1. BUDGET for the HC and assistants? A higher profile HC candidate typically may come with higher priced assistants as well.

2. Offensive or defensive minded HC? Obviously we will not be hiring a special teams coordinator in the foreseeable future.

3. Is HC experience at the collegiate level a must have?

4. Will this HC come from outside of the Georgia Southern football family tree? How far will this search go (West Coast, Texas area, Midwest, Northeast)?

5. Will Southern be looking for a HC with a history of strong accountability structure with his players and assistants?
09-30-2021 07:56 AM
Advertisement

All American

(09-30-2021 07:56 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  There's a lot of questions to be answered to narrow down a coaching search. I'll lean to those that have yet to be discussed in the thread .....

1. BUDGET for the HC and assistants? A higher profile HC candidate typically may come with higher priced assistants as well.

2. Offensive or defensive minded HC? Obviously we will not be hiring a special teams coordinator in the foreseeable future.

4. Will this HC come from outside of the Georgia Southern football family tree? How far will this search go (West Coast, Texas area, Midwest, Northeast)?

5. Will Southern be looking for a HC with a history of strong accountability structure with his players and assistants?

Working in the media world I pick up tidbits from time to time and I was told (by someone who covers this for local media) that for the right coach we will pay $1 million or more. Didn't ask about assistants salary pool but it's probably going up as well. He also told me that we are targeting a SEC Coordinator as option #1. That's really all I have heard so far. The Athletic Department seems to be a lot more tight lipped about the early search this time around.
09-30-2021 08:02 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

(09-30-2021 08:02 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(09-30-2021 07:56 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  There's a lot of questions to be answered to narrow down a coaching search. I'll lean to those that have yet to be discussed in the thread .....

Working in the media world I pick up tidbits from time to time and I was told (by someone who covers this for local media) that for the right coach we will pay $1 million or more. Didn't ask about assistants salary pool but it's probably going up as well. He also told me that we are targeting a SEC Coordinator as option #1. That's really all I have heard so far. The Athletic Department seems to be a lot more tight lipped about the early search this time around.

I did hear about the SEC Coordinator candidates as well. Obviously Kendal Briles, Arkansas offensive coordinator would be near the top of the list. Love his run heavy approach on offense.

Regardless of the scheme Southern future holds, I still believe we will always be blue collar and run heavy. That's our moto. Always has and always will!
09-30-2021 08:27 AM
Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UGA & Kennesaw State
From an outside observer..

I can't imagine Chizik or Pruitt would be candidates.. Pruitt is fresh off a cheating scandal and never had success, and Chizik only had success with one of the greatest QBs in college football history.

Johnson, Davis, and Bohannon are only candidates if you want to run the flex bone. But, with the AD being an SEC guy, I sort of doubt he wants to go back in time.

Because the AD is an SEC guy, I'm betting he goes the SEC assistant route..

Dell McGee..Great recruiter, good offensive mind, very good leader..Once wanted the job, but was rebuffed..He would be my top target, if he is interested..

Mike Bobo..Before you laugh, GS is a very good fit for him..Great recruiter, especially in GA. Good offensive mind. Failed at CSU, mostly because he couldn't get enough southern players to go to Colorado to play..That wouldn't be a problem at GS. He has also expressed interest in the job in the past..

Kendal Briles...Don't hold his fathers reputation against him..Very good recruiter, great offensive coordinator.

A longshot name to keep an eye on..Mason Miller.. Offensive line coach and defacto offensive coordinator at Mississippi State. He is a longtime Leach assistant, and a Georgia native. Remember, Benko was on the Mississippi State search committee that hired Mike Leach.. Miller might also be more affordable than most other names being mentioned.
09-30-2021 08:30 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Are there any offensive position coaches with Willie Fritz or Jeff Monken who have the experience to lead a program? You guys just need to get back to basics that involves recruiting, developing talent, and executing a timeless simple scheme on offense that sucks the soul out of the opposing team as seconds tick away.

I watched Georgia Southerns Semi-Final games in 2011 and 2012 just last night and those two teams would beat any Georgia Southern team from the past two to three years.
09-30-2021 08:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.