Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The WAC’s Biggest Football Rivalry: BOTPW
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Exclamation The WAC’s Biggest Football Rivalry: BOTPW
It’s that week!

A lot has been made of the rivalry between Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin when discussing the new additions to the WAC.

The icing on the cake is the addition of the Battle of the Piney Woods to the WAC. SFA comes into the week 3-1 (1-0 in WAC, 1-0 in AQ7 play) and on the verge of earning a spot in the national rankings with Sam at 3-0 including 1-0 in AQ7 play

If you are on social media, you’ll see barbs flying both ways.

Hopefully there will be at least 25k this coming weekend at the game. Would be something if we can top 30k for the first time time in the games history at NRG but COVID may make some folks uncomfortable and there’s also been changes to ticketing which is confusing the crap out of people

09-26-2021 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: The WAC’s Biggest Football Rivalry: BOTPW
Easy..... GCU-SU
09-26-2021 05:28 PM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(09-26-2021 05:28 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Easy..... GCU-SU

I mean, it's clearly NOT NMSU-GCU, since there is no rivalry there, am I right?

GO AGGIES!!!
09-27-2021 11:29 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
Um, guys. The thread topic is football rivalries. Specifically the “Battle of the Piney Woods,’” between Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin and played on neutral turf in Houston each year.

I’m hopeful the game will be close, break the attendance record, and pump up online viewership for the preeminent WAC football match up. I’m not convinced that’s how it will play out though. SFA has made strides but Sam is playing on another level. Sam Houston by 17.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2021 05:20 AM by OscarWildeCat.)
09-28-2021 05:18 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

More news here / partnership makes sense for everyone. Texas’ top grocer

09-28-2021 02:24 PM
SFAXE93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stephen F. Austin State
(09-28-2021 02:24 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  More news here / partnership makes sense for everyone. Texas’ top grocer

And the game is going to be on TV

Bally Sports Southwest Network as well as ESPN+
09-28-2021 08:14 PM
Advertisement

Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
(09-27-2021 11:29 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!

Grand Canyon sub Community College does not have a football team, and based on results one could argue neither does NMSU! 03-lmfao02-13-bananaCOGS
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 03:15 PM by Spolovilo4EVER.)
09-30-2021 03:13 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU
(09-30-2021 03:13 PM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  
(09-27-2021 11:29 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!

Grand Canyon sub Community College does not have a football team, and based on results one could argue neither does NMSU! 03-lmfao02-13-bananaCOGS
GCU does have a football team and it is currently ranked #20 in the country. SU is perhaps our greatest rival. You are correct to argue that NMSU does not have a football team. Of course, if you are referring to the so-called sport of American football then I stand corrected. Go Lopes!
09-30-2021 06:54 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

Nice to get some more coverage from Dave Campbell football magazine

09-30-2021 08:08 PM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(09-28-2021 05:18 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  Um, guys. The thread topic is football rivalries. Specifically the “Battle of the Piney Woods,’” between Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin and played on neutral turf in Houston each year.

I’m hopeful the game will be close, break the attendance record, and pump up online viewership for the preeminent WAC football match up. I’m not convinced that’s how it will play out though. SFA has made strides but Sam is playing on another level. Sam Houston by 17.

Sorry, I have a hard time getting my sarcasm to come through on message boards. I'll gladly exit stage right.

GO AGGIES!!!!
10-01-2021 08:24 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(10-01-2021 08:24 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  
(09-28-2021 05:18 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  Um, guys. The thread topic is football rivalries. Specifically the “Battle of the Piney Woods,’” between Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin and played on neutral turf in Houston each year.

Sorry, I have a hard time getting my sarcasm to come through on message boards. I'll gladly exit stage right.

GO AGGIES!!!!

I’ve often thought we needed a sarcasm emoji. It would make online life so much simpler.
10-01-2021 08:54 AM
Advertisement

FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
Any rivalry is the biggest rivalry if you are from one of the rivals. No one else's can compare to mine.
10-01-2021 10:42 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2021 08:54 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 08:24 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!!

I’ve often thought we needed a sarcasm emoji. It would make online life so much simpler.

Truth!
10-01-2021 11:01 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

Look at the field! Battle of the Piney Woods imagery looking good on the field

10-01-2021 12:39 PM
UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
Neighbor to my left is an SHSU grad. Neighbors to my right are a pair of SFA lumberjacks. The Kat has better cans so I'll have to root for them
10-01-2021 01:08 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
Near end of first quarter, SFA is ahead 10-0.
10-02-2021 04:56 PM
Advertisement

FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
(10-02-2021 04:56 PM)RCI Wrote:  Near end of first quarter, SFA is ahead 10-0.

Sam scored the last fifteen points of the game to come from fourteen down early in the fourth quarter to defeat SFA.
10-02-2021 09:09 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-02-2021 09:09 PM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  
(10-02-2021 04:56 PM)RCI Wrote:  Near end of first quarter, SFA is ahead 10-0.

Sam scored the last fifteen points of the game to come from fourteen down early in the fourth quarter to defeat SFA.

. . . Sam was lucky to escape with a win . . . Jacks led all game, and still had a chance to pull it out with a field goal . . . Kid had the distance, but unfortunately (for him) was wide right.
10-03-2021 09:55 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(10-03-2021 09:55 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  . . . Sam was lucky to escape with a win . . . Jacks led all game, and still had a chance to pull it out with a field goal . . . Kid had the distance, but unfortunately (for him) was wide right.

Good teams find ways to win...

With Sam's starter out, the backup quarterback performed pretty solid considering the circumstances. He had a pair of miscues that led to two of SFA's scores.

Sam missing it's two-time WAC Player of the Week kicker in COVID protocols as they left some points on the board early in the game and the Kats had to go for it on fourth down in a bit of a 'no man's land territory'. Backup kicker also missed a PAT earlier in the game which could have factored in later.

Props to the Sam defense for stepping up. SFA capitalized like I said on two turnovers that led to short fields and scores (believe one of the Jacks drives was from the Sam 9 yard line). The defense help up and the offense did what it needed to at the opportune time.

Sam has Lamar next week and not sure on the status of these two guys.

Presume the kicker can come out of COVID protocols unless he had the virus and/or subsequently tested. Schmid is likely not needed against Lamar at home.

After Lamar, it's another "get better" week for the Kats who have two byes this year and only play a 10 game schedule. Schmid hopefully available for the rest of campaign from there as he makes a huge difference. The backup QB Shoemaker just seemed to not be on same page as some of his wide receivers which led to some poorly executed offensive plays.
10-03-2021 10:23 AM
SFAXE93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stephen F. Austin State
Turnovers is part of the game, it's what SFA does and leads in the nation.

That's two straight BOTPW's that SHSU has had to come from behind to win and win they did, so credit to them.

SFA has got to learn to win, and to put teams away when the opportunity is there.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2021 12:03 PM by SFAXE93.)
10-03-2021 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.