Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open Thread CFP 9/25
Bookmark and Share
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Exclamation Open Thread CFP 9/25
Embarrass Notre Dame Day!

Also we have several conference games this week. Is Rutgers for real (they travel to the Big House)?
09-25-2021 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Open Thread CFP 9/25
(09-25-2021 06:35 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Embarrass Notre Dame Day!

Also we have several conference games this week. Is Rutgers for real (they travel to the Big House)?

Notre Dame may have a hard time running the ball. Those Badger boys are out there hitting hard in the early going.
09-25-2021 11:31 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

Mertz has never looked like a confident QB to me!?!?!
09-25-2021 11:35 AM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

Minnesota, 03-lmfao
09-25-2021 02:29 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

Expected more from the Badgers offense in the 2nd half. Congratulations to Marcus Freeman and that Irish defense, played one hell of a game.
09-25-2021 02:41 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

Embarrassing day for the Big 10. Notre Dame and Bowling Green???? beats us! Is this the same Minnesota that almost beat Ohio State?
09-25-2021 02:42 PM
schmolik Offline

And if Auburn loses to Georgia State, the Big 10's best non conference win will look like crap.
09-25-2021 04:36 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

If one of the Big Ten's unbeaten teams finishes 13-0, I still think they are a lock for the College Football Playoff. But I'm still considering what would happen if Ohio State wins the Big Ten at 12-1?

We have to assume Alabama or Georgia will finish undefeated and if the two meet in the SEC Championship Game undefeated the loser likely still makes the Playoff over Ohio State. If the CFP Committee doesn't consider "names", I'd almost rather see Georgia beat Alabama since a one loss Georgia will have a win over Clemson and a one loss Alabama wouldn't. What I really want to see is the SEC runner up have two losses. Of course after NC State beat Clemson, Georgia's Clemson win doesn't look as good but it's still Clemson. Ohio State's non conference wins are Tulsa and Akron. Assuming Oregon wins the Pac-12, they're ahead of Ohio State for obvious reasons (even a one loss Oregon would be).

Oklahoma? The Big 12 isn't as weak as they were last year although I'd have to think the Big 10 is still stronger (OK, I'm biased). I'd put a one loss Ohio State over a one loss Oklahoma, especially if Oregon finishes undefeated. But the issue is will Oklahoma lose? They go to Kansas State next week, a team that beat Okie the last two years (including at Norman last year). The problem is KSU has beaten Oklahoma the last two years and OU knows it and will want payback. Then comes Texas who looked like they were the same old Texas when they lost to Arkansas but scored 70 vs. Texas Tech. Oklahoma also has to travel to Baylor and Oklahoma State, who are both still undefeated (they play next Saturday). Ok State last beat their big brother in 2014.

The other problem for the Big 10 and Ohio State is Notre Dame. The first three weeks they didn't look so good but broke through against Wisconsin (or maybe Wisconsin just isn't that good?) Now Notre Dame will have to lose a game. Cincinnati comes to South Bend and might be the Fighting Irish's toughest test left (their only unbeaten team remaining on ND's schedule). The remaining road games for Notre Dame are Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Stanford. A one loss Ohio State should be ranked higher than a one loss Notre Dame but just like Oklahoma, who's Notre Dame's loss?

As for the Big Ten's unbeatens?

Maryland? Do Maryland fans think they're going undefeated?

Michigan? I know Rutgers is better than they usually are but Michigan only beat them by 7. Get past Wisconsin in Madison and they'll get more respect. Penn State beat them there. If the Michigan that spanked Northern Illinois shows up, they'll beat Wisconsin. If the Michigan that played Rutgers shows up, they won't.

Michigan State? Needed overtime to beat a Nebraska team that lost to Illinois.

Penn State? So far so good. But Notre Dame made the Wisconsin win not look as good and Georgia State made the Auburn win not look as good. 4-0 is 4-0 but can PSU fans confidently think their team is going into Iowa City and winning or Columbus and winning? I don't.

Iowa? Baylor made Iowa State not look so good. 24-14 vs. a Colorado State that lost to Vanderbilt (at home) isn't pretty. Luckily for them, the Big Ten West looks really bad this year although the Hawkeyes face a tough road game at Maryland on Friday and will still have to beat Ohio State (or whoever comes out of the East) in Indy in the Big Ten Championship.

Not the best from Week 4 in the Big Ten. But it could be worse. We could be the ACC:)
09-26-2021 11:46 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Maryland? Do Maryland fans think they're going undefeated?

Definitely not. Fans or non-fans. Early in the season during the first 4 games which are usually mostly OOC games -- when there's no Big Power they play and they chalk up some "given wins" -- nobody should think they'll go undefeated. Always takes a good amt of conference play against challenging teams.

Quote:Michigan? I know Rutgers is better than they usually are but Michigan only beat them by 7.

Michigan fans tend to think they're the Best at everything -- although that came down to earth somewhat in the last decade. Definitely a better chance than a team like Maryland. But it'd be silly as the last time Michigan went undefeated was when many people who are now finished with college, were born.

Quote:Penn State? So far so good.

Yeah, that's a possibility.

Quote:Iowhat

Not the best shot (PSU) -- but if they beat Penn State + being in a weaker division -- certainly quite possible then.

Nobody Needs to go undefeated to get to the "Best of 4" playoff. But any P5 Conf Champ being undefeated will get a guaranteed ticket to it -- unless of course, ALL P5s go undefeated -- which would need hella Luck in a bunch of different directions to happen. Even for 4 to be undefeated.

It's pretty solid if a B1G Champ just has 1 loss, they're going.

However, it is only a matter of time, the longer "Best of 4" remains as the scheme -- that there's going to be some serious controversy.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2021 02:08 PM by toddjnsn.)
09-26-2021 01:59 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
The SEC champ should get one playoff slot. The Big Ten champ should get another. Undefeated Oregon and undefeated Notre Dame get the last two. Oklahoma has been unimpressive and vulnerable despite being undefeated thus far. They won't have the opportunity for good wins that an SEC or Big Ten school would have if they dropped a game. The ACC is toast.
09-28-2021 05:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.