UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC in UAB’s future? Favored Tulane offers Blazers chance to audition out the C-USA..
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
AAC in UAB’s future? Favored Tulane offers Blazers chance to audition out the C-USA..
https://www.al.com/sports/2021/09/aac-in...c-usa.html

Behind the scenes something is going on. An AAC official who didn’t want to be named told al.com he thinks it is only a matter of time before the league brushes off its shiny new member roster and UAB could be one of those. But, and this was interesting coming from him, he’s concerned a couple of key people at UAB do not grasp how big this move would be for the school. That its medical reputation might lose some shine nationally which, if you know anything about UAB, is selfish and stupid. But UAB, behind the scenes, has someone with realignment and television market ties helping to navigate this train so maybe it’s no big deal.

This doesn't even make sense. The AAC has more med schools than CUSA.
09-24-2021 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Idiocy. Football success raises the profile of everything that says UAB on it.

Hell, if you need proof of that, look no further than right down 59 at enrollment at that school down the road since they hired the angry gnome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
09-24-2021 08:24 AM
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
RE: AAC in UAB’s future? Favored Tulane offers Blazers chance to audition out the C-USA..
(09-24-2021 08:16 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  https://www.al.com/sports/2021/09/aac-in...c-usa.html

Behind the scenes something is going on. An AAC official who didn’t want to be named told al.com he thinks it is only a matter of time before the league brushes off its shiny new member roster and UAB could be one of those. But, and this was interesting coming from him, he’s concerned a couple of key people at UAB do not grasp how big this move would be for the school. That its medical reputation might lose some shine nationally which, if you know anything about UAB, is selfish and stupid. But UAB, behind the scenes, has someone with realignment and television market ties helping to navigate this train so maybe it’s no big deal.

Most of the article doesn't make any sense. Journalism is pathetic these days. Why does it mention "BYU if available"? BYU has already accepted an invite to the Big 12. Why does it state the Protective Stadium seats 45,000? I thought it was 47,000. What does the sentence "might lose some shine nationally" even referring to? Is it saying the medical school reputation will suffer if UAB joins the AAC? How many people do you know that ask what conference a school is in before deciding which medical center to use for an operation? The entire article is pretty much garbage.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 08:37 AM by Ramblin Wreck.)
09-24-2021 08:29 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: AAC in UAB’s future? Favored Tulane offers Blazers chance to audition out the C-USA..
Not worth lining a bird cage.
09-24-2021 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(09-24-2021 08:29 AM)Ramblin Wreck Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 08:16 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  https://www.al.com/sports/2021/09/aac-in...c-usa.html

Most of the article doesn't make any sense. Journalism is pathetic these days. Why does in mention "BYU if available"? BYU has already accepted an invite to the Big 12. Why does it state the Protective Stadium seats 45,000? I thought it was 47,000. What does the sentence "might lose some shine nationally" even referring to? Is it saying the medical school reputation will suffer if UAB joins the AAC? How many people do you know that ask what conference a school is in before deciding which medical center to use for an operation? The entire article is pretty much garbage.

The AAC is a big step up in regards to academic quality of institutions. UAB is the 2nd highest ranked university in CUSA but would be behind Tulsa, Temple, Tulane, South Florida, and SMU in the AAC remains. Albeit this is undergraduate rankings and UAB really shines in graduate programs, which is what the author was referring, but still.. Wouldn’t, if anything, this be a more prestigious group to associate with? And wouldn’t the increased national attention not be GOOD for the school?
09-24-2021 08:40 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The Return has been worth MILLIONS in exposure for the university. Imagine what it would be if on ESPN instead of the whack-a-mole streaming service of the day.
09-24-2021 08:47 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Charles Hollis should be ashamed of himself for writing this piece of #$@* article. But he is 76 yrs old soooooo.......
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 09:16 AM by HiddenDragon.)
09-24-2021 09:13 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

If anybody’s ruining UABs medical reputation, it’s folks on that side of the university, anyways.

Football has carried its own weight, even at a time when the medical school didn’t have its back during a phony disbandment.
09-24-2021 09:14 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
Hollis didn't just drop this turd by himself. Sounds awfully familiar to the "distracting uab from its mission" bull**** from around 2011. This came from someone on the BOT. So much for no interference.
09-24-2021 09:25 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I'm kinda surprised Charlie didn't write that UAB should be in a small regional league with rural, regional non-R1 universities. Maybe that's coming next week when he sets the bar at hard sellout for Liberty or it's all been a failure.
09-24-2021 09:25 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(09-24-2021 09:25 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  Hollis didn't just drop this turd by himself. Sounds awfully familiar to the "distracting uab from its mission" bull**** from around 2011. This came from someone on the BOT. So much for no interference.

That's exactly what they'd want UAB folks to run with. Shadow campaigns. Don't fall for it.
09-24-2021 09:26 AM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

Paul Bryant Jr still controls the BOT. He can’t kill UAB athletics but he can keep us on life support.
09-24-2021 09:30 AM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(09-24-2021 09:30 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  Paul Bryant Jr still controls the BOT. He can’t kill UAB athletics but he can keep us on life support.

If they interfere again, I can imagine the blowback might be even larger than when football shutdown. City, county, and local business leaders have combined to drop in the hundreds of millions of dollars into growing the program and facilities for football. When football shutdown originally, there was a makeshift practice facility and a rotting away stadium. If it shut down or floundered, oh well. But with all these new facilities? It would get UGLY. Nobody that sunk millions into this program is going to let it slide quietly back into oblivion.
09-24-2021 09:42 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Let's dial it down a notch.

We've got both the political and financial clout to bring "a couple of key people" around.

They don't have to like it, but this ***** is full steam ahead.

And while I'm as paranoid about the board as anybody, there is and always has been an element of the white coat crowd that thinks any dime spent west of 16th street is a wasted dime.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 09:49 AM by Smaug.)
09-24-2021 09:45 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I just have trouble believing this is accurate. How does being in CUSA put any extra "shine" on our med program? How does moving to the AAC take off any of that "shine"? Nothing about that statement makes any sense.
09-24-2021 09:47 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(09-24-2021 09:45 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Let's dial it down a notch.

We've got both the political and financial clout to bring "a couple of key people" around.

And while I'm as paranoid about the board as anybody, there is and always has been an element of the white coat crowd that thinks any dime spent west of 16th street is a wasted dime.

And our president is one of those
09-24-2021 09:54 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(09-24-2021 09:47 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  I just have trouble believing this is accurate. How does being in CUSA put any extra "shine" on our med program? How does moving to the AAC take off any of that "shine"? Nothing about that statement makes any sense.

I see it as more of the "stay in your lane" thinking that was articulated by certain BOT members back when the OCS was denied. Total garbage and a fig leaf covering pure spite behind a facade of stewardship.
09-24-2021 09:55 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

The article was nothing more than fish wrap.
09-24-2021 09:57 AM
kdblazer Offline
All American

(09-24-2021 09:54 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

If/when UAB makes the move he will retire. I think in his mind the move will provide some level of closure to his horrendous decision back in 2014.
09-24-2021 09:58 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(09-24-2021 09:58 AM)kdblazer Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 09:54 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

If/when UAB makes the move he will retire. I think in his mind the move will provide some level of closure to his horrendous decision back in 2014.
Call me crazy but I think Watts is driving the bus on this particular move, and if it happens the pudgy little bastard will deserve credit for it.

He has to be. Moves like this happen at the presidential level.

I think Hollis maybe **** stirring for clicks.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 10:06 AM by Smaug.)
09-24-2021 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.