Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When will BYU start cancelling OOC games?
Bookmark and Share
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
When will BYU start cancelling OOC games?
I’m curious when BYU will start thinning out their excess OOC games. They’ve got a lot of games they need to drop.
09-23-2021 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
RE: When will BYU start cancelling OOC games?
I'm sure they're already working on it. Just give them some time. They've only officially been accepted as future members two weeks ago, just like UCF, Cincinnati, and my Coogs.
09-23-2021 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CougarFrog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TCU and BYU
BYU is trying to keep many of them and just postpone them to later years. There is still a question of the 8 or 9 game conference schedule. Most had an out if BYU joined a P5.
09-23-2021 11:12 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
really soon, They don't even know how many they need to lose yet.
09-24-2021 08:55 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(09-24-2021 08:55 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  really soon, They don't even know how many they need to lose yet.

Most of the game contracts require 18 months notice to avoid the buyout/cancellation fee (though some have 24 months notice, like the Utah series - though we don't play the Ewetes again until 2024).

So, Spring 2022 is the deadline for 2023 games...hopefully by then we know more about whether the Big 12 will have an 8 or 9-game schedule.

The deadline for games 2024 or later isn't until September 2022. (BYU's cancellation clause requires cancellation notice within one year of accepting the P5 invite).

So, we have some time. I don't expect to hear anything until after the football season.
09-24-2021 12:35 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
that is what I expect as well. Right now just need to get the lay of the land.
09-24-2021 01:32 PM
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

(09-23-2021 11:12 PM)CougarFrog Wrote:  BYU is trying to keep many of them and just postpone them to later years. There is still a question of the 8 or 9 game conference schedule. Most had an out if BYU joined a P5.

This is a good point as well. I'm sure any games we had scheduled with BYU from 2023 and beyond will become conference games depending on how divisions shake out and such.
09-24-2021 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Assuming none of the future opponents being cancelled are a-holes about it, it seems like this could be a fairly simple fix. If you've got, say, 40 dates scheduled with 24 teams, it's not that hard to take a look at the dates, put everyone's heads together, and schedule games between the teams being canceled by BYU. Obviously some dates will need to be moved around in addition to pairing future BYU opponents with one another, but hopefully this can be resolved in a way that results in minimal scheduling damage to future BYU opponents and minimal financial damage to BYU.
09-25-2021 02:45 AM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
Hopefully soon. We were already light on opponents over the next few years, and BYU becoming a conference opponent takes away two more of the OOC games. We desperately need to fill in some spots. Assuming BYU is a conference game, we have two spots open in 2023 (@Boise for now). Sure would be nice if a couple teams opened up for us. I see BYU has Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, and USC…..
09-25-2021 12:55 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(09-25-2021 12:55 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  Hopefully soon. We were already light on opponents over the next few years, and BYU becoming a conference opponent takes away two more of the OOC games. We desperately need to fill in some spots. Assuming BYU is a conference game, we have two spots open in 2023 (@Boise for now). Sure would be nice if a couple teams opened up for us. I see BYU has Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, and USC…..

If the Big 12 goes to 8 conference games, which makes sense, the old guard schools will need to pick up some opponents too. Maybe some of BYU’s scheduled opponents would be okay for swapping the Cougars with one of them.
09-25-2021 07:17 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

(09-25-2021 07:17 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(09-25-2021 12:55 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  Hopefully soon. We were already light on opponents over the next few years, and BYU becoming a conference opponent takes away two more of the OOC games. We desperately need to fill in some spots. Assuming BYU is a conference game, we have two spots open in 2023 (@Boise for now). Sure would be nice if a couple teams opened up for us. I see BYU has Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, and USC…..

If the Big 12 goes to 8 conference games, which makes sense, the old guard schools will need to pick up some opponents too. Maybe some of BYU’s scheduled opponents would be okay for swapping the Cougars with one of them.

This would make the most sense. It would also be a show of good faith if the other new Big XII members took some of the games off of BYU’s hands.
09-25-2021 10:55 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-25-2021 10:55 PM)GeminiCoog Wrote:  
(09-25-2021 07:17 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

This would make the most sense. It would also be a show of good faith if the other new Big XII members took some of the games off of BYU’s hands.

UCF likely could help with this as well. We have quite a few open dates.
09-27-2021 08:15 AM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
Has anyone heard anything about how many OOC games the expanded Big 12 is going to have (I'm sure it is all being negotiated--maybe I should assume 3 until we hear it changes to 4? All teams would need to add another game if it jumped to 4.) I've spent some time with BYU's schedule and the contracts trying to sort out which games get moved out and which stay put. But whether there is 3 games/year or 4 games/year make a HUGE difference in sorting out the contracts.
09-27-2021 05:22 PM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
In a 12 team league there will be 8 conference games. 5 against everyone else in division and 3 against other division teams. Play everyone in division every year rotating home and away. Same with cross division, one home one away in consecutive years and then rotate to the other 3 teams in the other division the next 2 years.

The problem is if OUT is still in the Conference for a year or 2 with the 4 new teams making it a 14 team league. In that scenario I have no clue how they work out the Divisions. But I hope they put UT and OU in separate divisions where they do not play each other for a year or 2 just to be pricks to them. They deserve it!
09-27-2021 06:40 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Time will tell how many OOC games. I think the B12 has more important things to work through for now.
09-28-2021 07:18 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(09-27-2021 06:40 PM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  In a 12 team league there will be 8 conference games. 5 against everyone else in division and 3 against other division teams. Play everyone in division every year rotating home and away. Same with cross division, one home one away in consecutive years and then rotate to the other 3 teams in the other division the next 2 years.

The problem is if OUT is still in the Conference for a year or 2 with the 4 new teams making it a 14 team league. In that scenario I have no clue how they work out the Divisions. But I hope they put UT and OU in separate divisions where they do not play each other for a year or 2 just to be pricks to them. They deserve it!

New Big 12 will be playing 9 conf games...regardless if they have 12 or 14 members. This will the conf maximize their tv contract as conf games have more value vs a 4th non conf game per team...which is usually a joke.of a worthless game.

Also, I think the new conf won't have divisions...which would ensure top 2 teams play for the title.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2021 08:24 AM by KnightLight.)
09-28-2021 08:22 AM
Advertisement

CougarFrog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TCU and BYU
Playing 8 conference games is better for the conference than playing 9. The SEC plays only 8 for a reason, as it maximizes their 10+ win teams and maximizes bowl eligible teams.

The P10 started playing 9 conference games even before it expanded in order to save money. The schools didn't like playing for a G5 or FCS school and didn't want to do a home and home with G5s.

The result was the perception of a PAC1+9, and many teams at 500 or worse.

9 games means fewer games available for broadcast and more internal losses.

8 cgs, 1 or 2 P5, 1 or 2 G5, 1 FCS, like the SEC.
09-28-2021 11:17 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(09-27-2021 05:22 PM)f1do Wrote:  Has anyone heard anything about how many OOC games the expanded Big 12 is going to have (I'm sure it is all being negotiated--maybe I should assume 3 until we hear it changes to 4? All teams would need to add another game if it jumped to 4.) I've spent some time with BYU's schedule and the contracts trying to sort out which games get moved out and which stay put. But whether there is 3 games/year or 4 games/year make a HUGE difference in sorting out the contracts.

It will be 9 conference games until the current tv deal is up, the league is under contract for that.

In the next tv deal we won't know until that is negotiated. But if the B1G/PAC/ACC are not including the B12 in the alliance and the SEC doesn't do a scheduling arrangement, I don't know where the OOC games in the B12 come from. I think they stick with 9 or even look at 10.

If you want paid in the next tv contract we can't be playing many FCS teams or lower G5 teams that won't cut it. The remaining AAC/MWC schools maybe can comprise one game but it can't be 2 non conference games. I think if the league goes to 8 games it needs to be at least 2 games against P5, 1 against AAC/MWC and maybe 1 lower G5 or FCS. Although, I would like to see the lower G5/FCS done away with. It would be interesting to see the value of the home gate receipts for the 7th garbage game versus the increase in tv contract for something like 3P5/1 AAC/MWC or 2/2.
10-12-2021 02:02 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I know it's not a Cincinnati thread, but Western Michigan opted out for a future game. I am hoping when we join they conference will go to 9 conference games.
10-12-2021 03:13 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-23-2021 08:37 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m curious when BYU will start thinning out their excess OOC games. They’ve got a lot of games they need to drop.

After they get the date set for entering the B-12. 03-cloud9 03-nutkick 03-banghead 03-lmfao 03-shhhh 02-13-banana 04-jawdrop COGS 04-cheers
10-13-2021 07:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.