Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Saturday Blitz: Ranking the AAC candidates
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Saturday Blitz: Ranking the AAC candidates
Quote:3. UAB Blazers
Media Market Size: 45 (Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Ala.)
Record since 2016: 34-16
School Enrollment: 22,080

One of Conference USA’s strongest teams in recent years, Alabama-Birmingham often gets overshadowed in a state that boasts two perennial Top 25 teams in Alabama and Auburn.

Ranking the AAC Candidates
09-23-2021 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jcduncan13 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Saturday Blitz: Ranking the AAC candidates
For those wondering #1-2 in the article are Boise State and San Diego State. Think they are likely staying in the MW.
09-23-2021 07:50 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I also believe #4 and #5 are staying put as well. It's been over a week now and not even a peep or credible leak that AF and CSU is nearing a deal. It's all speculation at this point. The only sure thing we know is UAB is ready to sign the paperwork for the AAC like two years ago. The longer this plays out the more I feel that Aresco is working on Plan B, C, D, and E because Plan A has fallen through the cracks.
09-23-2021 08:04 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

(09-23-2021 08:04 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I also believe #4 and #5 are staying put as well. It's been over a week now and not even a peep or credible leak that AF and CSU is nearing a deal. It's all speculation at this point. The only sure thing we know is UAB is ready to sign the paperwork for the AAC like two years ago. The longer this plays out the more I feel that Aresco is working on Plan B, C, D, and E because Plan A has fallen through the cracks.

I wouldn’t rule CSU and AF out just yet.
09-23-2021 08:07 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The silence on CSU and AF is intentional. Wouldn’t read too much into that.
09-23-2021 08:10 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-23-2021 08:07 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  
(09-23-2021 08:04 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I also believe #4 and #5 are staying put as well. It's been over a week now and not even a peep or credible leak that AF and CSU is nearing a deal. It's all speculation at this point. The only sure thing we know is UAB is ready to sign the paperwork for the AAC like two years ago. The longer this plays out the more I feel that Aresco is working on Plan B, C, D, and E because Plan A has fallen through the cracks.

I wouldn’t rule CSU and AF out just yet.

You don't have to but I have. I also concede you know more than I do so my point is only opinion....lol.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 08:31 AM by HiddenDragon.)
09-23-2021 08:30 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I think they are trying to get a consensus on team #4.
09-23-2021 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
According to The Athletic, Aresco is expected to announce the new adds in a matter of weeks, not months. Nothing really new in the link below but it was just published about 15 mins ago.

https://theathletic.com/2844281/2021/09/...-a-target/
09-23-2021 08:52 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(09-23-2021 08:52 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  According to The Athletic, Aresco is expected to announce the new adds in a matter of weeks, not months. Nothing really new in the link below but it was just published about 15 mins ago.

https://theathletic.com/2844281/2021/09/...-a-target/

If it were to happen before or near Protective Stadium opening or even the second game, that would be exciting.
09-23-2021 10:00 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
a few new an clarifying tidbits:

Quote:...things get complicated. Some schools very much want an invitation from the AAC. Some schools question the value of the conference, especially if Memphis gets a Big 12 invitation in a few years. And some believe that those downplaying the AAC are only jealous they’re not in the AAC conversation. Everyone has a different opinion. These are petty times.

Mountain West ADs met Monday to discuss various situations and contingency plans in the event it loses teams. Those discussions include the value of staying together, potential conference additions or even staying at 10 football-playing schools should two leave. The league’s presidents are also scheduled to meet Thursday.

Sources outside the AAC and MWC are skeptical there will be much, if any, financial gain in leaving the MWC for the AAC, at least in the short term. But these aren’t short-term moves, and moods around conference movement can change by the day.

As for other AAC targets, UAB is believed to be near the top of the list, due to its location in a football hotbed, a growing city and university and a commitment to football with new facilities, including a new stadium. Other options are less clear. There could also be more moves down the road after the next group of additions.

There may be many Group of 5 realignment moves to come, and it could happen quickly.
09-23-2021 10:09 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

At this point, I think UAB is a given as one of the new AAC members unless somehow 4 teams from the MWC decide to take the plunge. I don't see that happening, but ...

I think AF and CSU are likely to jump. They have to have their eyes on what the MWC and its new TV deal might look like in 2026 should Boise State and/or SDSU end up with a call up to the Big 12. For AF it makes a lot of sense -- getting Navy as a conference game gives them some scheduling benefits. Colorado State as AF's travel partner then makes sense too. They are natural extensions of the AAC western footprint, unlike the other MWC schools.

In that scenario, it becomes a matter of who is No. 4 and that I think is the hardest part. There is no clear-cut choice other than perhaps Army, who also creates an opportunity to add another non-FB member with good hoops. Everyone mentions VCU, Dayton and Saint Louis.That'd be great, but would they join an AAC that could be without Memphis eventually? Not sure, and they can wait and see. I don't think Army will jump. They have pretty long memories of life in C-USA.

There probably is a sect in the AAC that wants a 2nd Texas school. I imagine some of private schools probably want Rice. Replaces Houston market (not really, but ...) and gives AF and Navy a guaranteed Texas road trip every year. But UTSA also fits the bill and probably has more upside overall. Rice has more than century of medicre to poor football/basketball performance no matter what league they have been in. San Antonio is also a huge military city. I personally would choose UTSA. I think they and UAB are both potential UCF/Cincinnati/UH stories over the next 15 years. I think UTSA (and UAB) could become scary good in the AAC.

There may be some in the AAC who want an eastern team, though.

Sometimes in these situations, if not everybody can agree, you end up with a compromise candidate that everyone agrees was No. 2 or No. 3 on their list. I think UAB is that school in the first wave; UAB isn't going to excite everybody but is an easy call. Same dynamics could apply on the tougher call at school No. 4.
09-23-2021 10:25 AM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

Donators
Another interesting claim arose last night...regarding BigXII expansion:

Quote:Could the Big 12 add beyond Memphis and Boise State?

Other than Memphis and Boise State being next in line, look for visits and/or discussions to take place with Tulane, SMU and possibly even Southern Mississippi. Sources say there's a method to this madness and while on the surface many won't see or understand the appeal, ESPN will have its hand in which teams would be added.

This seems to confirm the statements for a radio show in Oklahoma citing sources in the BigXII offices that included other schools being vetted for slots 15 & 16 (should the BXII expand that far in 5 or 6 years). That radio program also included UAB and USF in that group.
09-23-2021 10:50 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2021 08:10 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  The silence on CSU and AF is intentional. Wouldn’t read too much into that.

He gets it

COGS
09-23-2021 10:56 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Jax St announced Clark's replacement before UAB even named him coach, so don't expect us to be the first to break the news. 03-lmfao
09-23-2021 11:00 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I shouldn't have put the dancing dude on my post. I'm not saying AFA and CSU are in the bag...I'm saying there are reasons it's quiet.
09-23-2021 11:06 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(09-23-2021 10:25 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  There may be some in the AAC who want an eastern team, though.

I agree with your thoughts 100%. Temple is the only school really advocating for the addition of an eastern school and by most accounts they favor Buffalo.

IMO the BigXII suddenly leaking names of G5 schools (besides Memphis and Boise) as possibilities for their next round of expansion in 2025 or 2026 is more about causing the AAC issues with getting schools on board now. What other benefit is there for now mentioning UAB, USF, SMU, Tulane and Southern Miss being on their radar?

Heck even the Mountain West got into the act, leaking this week a remotely possible massive eastward expansion that mentioned UTEP, North Texas, UAB and a myriad of AAC schools. It's all about keeping things in turmoil at the moment.
09-23-2021 11:11 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-23-2021 11:06 AM)blazr Wrote:  I shouldn't have put the dancing dude on my post. I'm not saying AFA and CSU are in the bag...I'm saying there are reasons it's quiet.

So what are the reasons?
09-23-2021 11:11 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(09-23-2021 11:11 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(09-23-2021 10:25 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  There may be some in the AAC who want an eastern team, though.

I agree with your thoughts 100%. Temple is the only school really advocating for the addition of an eastern school and by most accounts they favor Buffalo.

IMO the BigXII suddenly leaking names of G5 schools (besides Memphis and Boise) as possibilities for their next round of expansion in 2025 or 2026 is more about causing the AAC issues with getting schools on board now. What other benefit is there for now mentioning UAB, USF, SMU, Tulane and Southern Miss being on their radar?

Heck even the Mountain West got into the act, leaking this week a remotely possible massive eastward expansion that mentioned UTEP, North Texas, UAB and a myriad of AAC schools. It's all about keeping things in turmoil at the moment.

The AAC would welcome that turmoil. The more unrest there is in the west, the greater the odds they can shake loose a couple more of the most valuable MWC teams.
09-23-2021 11:19 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(09-23-2021 11:11 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

One reason the Big 12 would do this is to try to keep everyone in their place. They don't want a strong conference of the best remaining G5 brands. If they can keep several of those "on the hook" so to speak, then they might sit tight to avoid more exit/entrance fees rather than group together. Divide and conquer.
09-23-2021 11:21 AM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-23-2021 11:00 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Jax St announced Clark's replacement before UAB even named him coach, so don't expect us to be the first to break the news. 03-lmfao

I will only believe UAB leaving CUSA when I read it on al.com before the 2024 season
09-23-2021 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.