Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which school has the strongest group of guards coming into this basketball season?
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
Which school has the strongest group of guards coming into this basketball season?
Abilene Christian returns virtually every guard in Damien Daniels (6.0 ppg), Reggie Miller (6.2 ppg, 4.4 apg), Coryon Mason (10.6 ppg), Mahki Morris (6.6 ppg), Immanuel Allen (5.6 ppg), Logan McLaughlin (3.3 ppg), and Tobias Cameron (2.6 ppg) from the team that upset Texas. Plus they added JUCO Stevie Smith (9.3 ppg). A lot of speed on defense.

California Baptist returns a lot of firepower with all three perimeter starters returning in Ty Rowell (15.4 ppg, 5.8 apg), Reed Nottage (14.3 ppg), and Tre Armstrong (11.5 ppg). And, add All-Big West performer in Long Beach State transfer Chance Hunter (12.3 ppg) among a boat load of freshmen... Taran Armstrong, Keanu Rasmussen, Scotty Washington, and Aldo Ruiz Ortiz.

Grand Canyon returns arguably the best point guard in the WAC in Jovan Blacksher Jr. (12.0 ppg, 5.4 apg) and most of the bench; Chance McMillian (4.2 ppg), Sean Miller-Moore (4.0 ppg) and Jayden Stone (3.8 ppg). The Lopes also added Arizona State transfer Holland Woods (6.7 ppg) and Bucknell transfer Walter Ellis (8.8 ppg); and a group of talented freshmen (Jalen Blackmon, Kobe Knox, and Isaiah Shaw).

Lamar returns starters Davion Buster (15.1 ppg), Kasen Harrison (13.1 ppg, 4.0 apg), Ellis Jefferson (5.6 ppg); and add NMSU transfer CJ Roberts (6.9 ppg) and Austin Peay transfer Jordyn Adams (9.4 ppg) and a number of freshmen.

New Mexico State returns starters Jabari Rice (13.2 ppg) and Clayton Henry (8.2 ppg). And, adds Nebraska transfer Teddy Allen (16.5 ppg), Washington transfer Nate Pryor (4.1 ppg) plus a number of JC transfers; Mario McKinney (18.4 ppg), Marsei Caston (12.3 ppg), Levar Williams (8.0 ppg) and Aquarn Butler (6.3 ppg, 5.0 apg) .

Sam Houston State returns starters Demarkus Lampley (14.4 ppg), Donte Powers (7.3 ppg, 3.2 apg), Javion May (3.7 ppg) plus bench player Jarron Cook (6.4 ppg) and potentially a impact JUCO in JD Ray (16.3 ppg, 5.7 apg).

Seattle U returns the WAC's top scorer in Darrion Trammell (20.5 ppg). Plus they return starters Aaron Nettles (10.1 ppg) and Riley Grigsby (17.8 ppg) and notable bench player Nate Robinson (7.5 ppg). Also, added is Houston transfer Cam Tyson (6.2 ppg) who is considered a prolific three point shooter. And, JC transfer Kyree Brown (8.7 ppg, 5.6 apg)

Stephen F. Austin returns starters David Kachelries (11.4 ppg, 4.4 apg), and Roti Ware (12.9 ppg). And, return bench player Nigel Hawkins (6.4 ppg) along with a couple of other bench returnees; Jaylin Jackson-Posey, and Russell Hyman. Plus a they add little used Kansas transfer Latrell Jossell (1.2 ppg) and NJIT transfer Diego Willis (5.9 ppg).

Utah Valley returns two starting guards in Trey Woodbury (15.6 ppg, 3.8 apg) and Blaze Nield (4.4 ppg). And also return Jaden McClanahan (3.7 ppg), LaTre Darthard (5.9 ppg), and Colby Leifson (3.4 ppg). Additionally, UVU adds BYU transfer Connor Harding (5.4 ppg) and JC transfer Justin Harmon (16.0 ppg).

UTRGV, Dixie State, Tarleton State, and Chicago State also have impact guards but there are more question to be answered within their respective rosters.

UTRGV returns starter Quinton Johnson II (9.9 ppg) and bench players LaQuan Butler Jr. (9.1 ppg) and Doc Nelson (3.4 ppg). They also add Chicago State transfer Xavier Johnson (11.8 ppg), Southern Miss transfer Justin Johnson (5.7 ppg), SIU Edwardsville transfer Mike Adewunmi (13.0 ppg) and JC transfer BJ Simmons (17.0 ppg)

Tarleton State returns starters Montre Gipson (15.3 ppg), Shamir Bogues (6.9 ppg) and Shakur Daniels (7.0 ppg); bench player Javontae Hopkins (2.3 ppg). And, a boat load of new guards; most notably JC transfers Jaheim Holden (16.0 ppg), Isaiah Bujdoso (8.6 ppg) and Tayton Conerway (7.7 ppg)

Dixie State returns starters Cameron Gooden (13.1 ppg, 3.2 apg) and Frank Staine (9.9 ppg). And, return notable bench players Isaiah Pope (6.9 ppg) and Emad Elniel (2.8 ppg). Also added is JC transfer Jamaal Barnes (18.8 ppg)

Chicago State is starting from scratch with virtually a new roster. However, the Cougars bring in notable JC transfers Dominque Alexander (28.1 ppg), Favour Chukwukelu (17.8 ppg) and Brandon Betson (17.3 ppg). They also added human highlight reel Anthony Hamilton Jr.; who was a track star at Clemson and possesses a 51-inch vertical leap; along with an avalanche of freshmen guards.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2021 04:54 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-21-2021 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

RE: Which school has the strongest group of guards coming into this basketball season?
Darrion Trammel at Seattle is a problem for most defenses when Nettles and Grigsby are both playing well too, that is a three headed monster as well.

ACU Beat Texas last year, but I didn't actually see them play so I can't really gauge where they are.

UVU guards, when shooting well are really good and really physical defensively. Woodbury is a problem for a lot of defenses but the difficulty with them was always their big guys down low. It felt like the guards tended to be more facilitators than scorers, other than Woodbury.

GCU guards killed us, as a group, last year. I agree that Blacksher Jr. may be the best point guard in the league. They will need some production from guys that were bench players last year, or from some of the newcomers.

I like NMSU's guards, but after last year, I would want to see them reach potential before I put them in the top 3.

So based on returning talent, my top 3 are probably Seattle, ACU and UVU. NMSU could sneak in there, but I feel like they are going to have to rely on some new faces to be able to get there. That said, I have yet to see SHSU or SFA guards at all, so I will admit to not knowing about them at all.

GO AGGIES!
09-22-2021 08:31 AM
YesCubanB Online
Special Teams

RE: Which school has the strongest group of guards coming into this basketball season?
I got so tired of hearing Woodbury’s name last season. Dude can play and seems too be able to make it from anywhere on the court. Definitely Blackshur is the best PG in the WAC, my opinion anyway. As far as the best overall group of guards? That is a super tough questions. A lot of talent up and down in this conference.
09-22-2021 09:24 AM
Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
One of the toughest defenses in the country last year. Most are returning and the man behind our defense is now the head coach.

https://twitter.com/JBItweets/status/143...26/photo/3
09-23-2021 08:02 PM
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(09-23-2021 08:02 PM)Outsider Wrote:  One of the toughest defenses in the country last year. Most are returning and the man behind our defense is now the head coach.

https://twitter.com/JBItweets/status/143...26/photo/3

And the defense is built around guard play. I’d say ACU has the strongest group of defenders in the WAC. Guards from other schools might or might not put up more points.
09-24-2021 06:06 AM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
In all my years from player to old man spectator, I have never seen guard play like ACU's last year. Team after team would show up with great talent and those Wildcat guards would change the whole flow of games. The University of Texas seemed shocked at the pressure of the ACU defense and that told me the guards were not just great against lesser talent, they were stellar against really good players. Glad they are all back for another season and have been joined by even more talent and some bigs. After all, Reggie Miller was chosen defensive player of the year in the Southland and another made the all conference defensive team. I was always more impressed with offense, but those guys showed me how defense is such a huge part of the modern game.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2021 01:47 PM by RCI.)
09-26-2021 01:41 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

Without seeing the play I will agree with ACU fans, since their guards return. I’d say they have the toughest defensive group of guards. They have been together and proven what they can do. As far as offensive firepower group, I’ll be bias and say NMSU. I can’t wait to clash with ACU and see who wins those battles. But the real winner will be the fans who watch the game.
09-26-2021 02:00 PM
Advertisement

RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
Fully agree. The WAC should be fun, and we at ACU will be honored to play NMSU. The level of basketball should be a lot higher than many realize. NMSU has a long history of excellence. ACU has three straight 20 win seasons. Add in the other fine basketball schools and the WAC should be well regarded. GCU, SFA, SHSU, and our fellow WAC members should have an exciting season of great basketball. I would rather be among the conference than competing against it.
09-26-2021 02:11 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-26-2021 02:00 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  Without seeing the play I will agree with ACU fans, since their guards return. I’d say they have the toughest defensive group of guards. They have been together and proven what they can do. As far as offensive firepower group, I’ll be bias and say NMSU. I can’t wait to clash with ACU and see who wins those battles. But the real winner will be the fans who watch the game.

Arguably, California Baptist, Seattle U. and maybe Grand Canyon might have more offensive firepower from the perimeter than New Mexico State. What has made NMSU successful in the past is our guards are typically two-way players. They can put up a lot of points but they are "normally' very good defensively as well. In Jans' first three years, that was the case. Last, season was a drop off defensively from the norm; hence the cleaning of the house on our 2020-21 roster. Hopefully this group of Aggie guards will defend to the same level of Jans' WAC Championship teams. Offensively, this group should be strong. But as of now, they are not proven (offensively) like CBU and Seattle U are currently. However, both CBU and Seattle have been soft defensively in years past; mostly coaching emphasis. It will be interesting to see if ACU's speed and tenacity on defense will win out over CBU's (and Seattle U.) size and shooting skill on offense.

As for GCU, Drew recruited a lot of guys with untapped potential (across the whole roster). If he can get them to play near their potential, they will be a very tough out come March.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2021 03:23 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-26-2021 03:19 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

Still curious to see how strong we remain, but it should be fun.

11-02-2021 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Im anxious to see how Connor Harding looks with the UVU team. He's been one of my favorite players at BYU, but he didn't get enough PT. Woodbury is a stud, and Colby Liefson should get a lot more time too. I like how versatile Harding is he's a great add as a guard or a wing player, but Madsen may carve out a specific role for him. Anxious to see how he's used.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 11:10 PM by Todor.)
11-02-2021 11:06 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

What made ACU's defense so special was it was intensely team based. There wasn't one person that completely stood out. Yes, one or two had better stats, but the entire scheme is built around this group who knew what each other was doing and would rotate and never let up. I am very interested to see how they fair in the new WAC. It's going to be a tougher game to game schedule. I definitely have Dec. 30th, Jan. 6th, 8th, 14th and 15th circled.... We play a couple of those teams twice, but those first match-ups will say a lot.
11-03-2021 08:16 PM
KINGALLISON Offline
2nd String

I Root For: New Mexico St
The question is who is going to match up with Teddy Allen. That's going to be fun to watch.
11-03-2021 11:43 PM
Advertisement

Outsider Offline
1st String

(11-03-2021 11:43 PM)KINGALLISON Wrote:  The question is who is going to match up with Teddy Allen. That's going to be fun to watch.

One of the reasons I have our game with you guys circled. We play Utah and Texas A&M this coming week. We will know more then.
11-04-2021 09:16 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(11-04-2021 09:16 AM)Outsider Wrote:  
(11-03-2021 11:43 PM)KINGALLISON Wrote:  The question is who is going to match up with Teddy Allen. That's going to be fun to watch.

One of the reasons I have our game with you guys circled. We play Utah and Texas A&M this coming week. We will know more then.

I’ll be thrilled if we split the first two games.

Utah us an unknown- an excellent new coach and a boatload of talent plucked from the portal.
11-05-2021 07:19 AM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(11-05-2021 07:19 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 09:16 AM)Outsider Wrote:  

I’ll be thrilled if we split the first two games.

Utah us an unknown- an excellent new coach and a boatload of talent plucked from the portal.

I would be as well. Either way, I just don't want to see a drop in level of play. I think the bigger question for us will be the question of our forward play and our scoring.
11-05-2021 04:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.