Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CSU rejects "American"
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
CSU rejects "American"
https://campusreform.org/?ID=13460

"...CSU's online Inclusive Language Guide, compiled by the school’s Inclusive Communications Task Force, lists certain words and phrases to avoid while providing replacements in an effort to help “communicators practice inclusive language and [help] everyone on [its] campus feel welcomed, respected, and valued.” The school's Women and Gender Collaborative website directly links to the document...."
09-21-2021 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: CSU rejects "American"
lulz what a dilemma for them.
09-21-2021 02:02 PM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
"Colorado State University claims that “American” is a non-inclusive word that should be avoided."

This is actually a true statement - now more than ever. Considering the 100's of thousands of Afghani's, Hatians and other South of the Border migrants who are not actually Americans, but are here now, it is sorta true. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead
09-21-2021 02:26 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(09-21-2021 02:26 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  "Colorado State University claims that “American” is a non-inclusive word that should be avoided."

This is actually a true statement - now more than ever. Considering the 100's of thousands of Afghani's, Hatians and other South of the Border migrants who are not actually Americans, but are here now, it is sorta true. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

You forgot Democrats.
09-21-2021 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
So, does this mean the Dweezils and Moonunits of CSU won't be accepting an invitation to the "non-inclusively" named American Athletic Conference?
09-21-2021 03:21 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
aren't they one of the schools rumored to move from the mwc to the aac....

#oversightSpeedBump+(Pot)hole
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 03:24 PM by stinkfist.)
09-21-2021 03:23 PM
Advertisement

No2rdame Offline
All American

(09-21-2021 03:23 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  aren't they one of the schools rumored to move from the mwc to the aac....

I wonder if they'll demand we rename it the "nationality-neutral, inclusive athletic conference" or some other ridiculous bullshite?
09-21-2021 03:26 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Dang, thought this was about conference realignment.
09-21-2021 03:33 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-21-2021 03:26 PM)No2rdame Wrote:  
(09-21-2021 03:23 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  aren't they one of the schools rumored to move from the mwc to the aac....

I wonder if they'll demand we rename it the "nationality-neutral, inclusive athletic conference" or some other ridiculous bullshite?

I'm thinking Nationally Inclusive Gender and Gamers Equal Rights conference...
09-21-2021 03:34 PM
No2rdame Offline
All American

(09-21-2021 03:34 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

03-rotfl03-rotfl03-rotfl
09-21-2021 03:35 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
"In terms of communication methods (articles, social media, etc.), we very rarely need to identify or know a person’s biological sex and more often are referring to gender.”
Can we stop listing preferred pro-nouns then?

"Aaron Allen, who is a third-year student at CSU, also reacted to the "guidelines," telling Campus Reform, "what about the term 'African-American'? Should I not use that term to describe myself?"

"Words like 'American,' 'male,' and 'female' are used every day by billions of people around the world. When these students graduate, they're in for a rude awakening!"

"Homosexual: Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual"
Clinical history w/ the word homophobia.

It is interesting tho how many phrases we use today come from the slavery period.....
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 05:50 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-21-2021 05:44 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
"Colleges don't indoctrinate."

LMFAO
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 05:45 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-21-2021 05:45 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
CSU may get an invite to the PAC if they keep this up.
09-21-2021 05:49 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(09-21-2021 03:21 PM)No2rdame Wrote:  So, does this mean the Dweezils and Moonunits of CSU won't be accepting an invitation to the "non-inclusively" named American Athletic Conference?

My thoughts exactly. 03-lmfao
09-21-2021 05:53 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-21-2021 03:34 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

You are bad……..
09-21-2021 08:03 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Why use the word "Colorado" then? It makes Idahoans feel bad about themselves.
09-21-2021 08:17 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
University Threatens Action Against Students For ‘Pronoun Misuse’

Quote:Point Park University in Pittsburgh is threatening to take disciplinary action against students who don’t use their classmates’ preferred pronouns.

According to an email obtained by Campus Reform, the school’s Office of Equity and Inclusion notified students that “any individual who has been informed of another person’s gender identity, pronouns, or chosen name is expected to respect that individual” and that “misgendering, continued misuse of an individual’s pronouns, or using an individual’s deadname after being informed of a chosen name could result in a violation of the Policy on Discrimination and Harassment for gender-based discrimination.”

“While the University recognizes the aspect of intent versus impact, we must recognize that regardless of the intent, if an individual is impacted in a harmful way, action could be taken if a complaint is filed,” it added.

The email also included a link to the university’s “Pronouns and Inclusive Language Guide,” which warns students that “using language that assumes another person’s gender or pronouns or generalizing an entire group can be harmful and cause trans and gender non-conforming folks to feel isolated.”

Written by a former student, the manual gives students a list of “gender inclusive language” to use when talking to groups or strangers, such as replacing “boyfriend/girlfriend” with “partner,” and “men/women” with “all people/all genders,” among others.

When asked for comment on the situation, Point Park University’s Student Government President Dennis McDermott told Campus Reform that he did not know the “exact details of the policy.”

“I would imagine any violation (in this case misgendering, misuse of pronouns, or incorrectly using someone’s deadname when you are aware of their preferred name and pronouns) would result in a similar action to any act of discrimination against students on campus,” he said. “I, of course, respect the beliefs of others and their right to express those beliefs, but those beliefs, no matter what they are, cannot impede or harm the rights of others, in this case the right of a student to be respected in their use of their preferred name and pronouns.”

“This is a fundamental belief not only I and Point Park University share (imagine that), but also the United States Constitution asserts,” he added.
09-22-2021 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(09-21-2021 08:17 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Why use the word "Colorado" then? It makes Idahoans feel bad about themselves.

Dang, beat me to it. It has to make out of state and international students feel lesser than in state students. It borders on violence.
09-22-2021 12:55 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
I swear, if I was at one of the places that forced people to use pronouns I would list mine as "Jesus Christ is Lord".
09-22-2021 01:01 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
To be fair this was a suggestion by CSU's gender studies department, not a university policy. Every secular university will have this b.s. in the liberal arts.
09-22-2021 01:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.