Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do More B12 Teams Get Picked Off?
Bookmark and Share
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Do More B12 Teams Get Picked Off?
…before UC even joins?

More than one report saying Houston and TCU were seriously considered fir the PAC - and still might happen. Kansas makes no secret that it’s shopping itself and isn’t happy. The Dude of WV continues to claim the mountaineers are off to the ACC.

Not that I believe anyone will be invited, but everyone knows that if an invite is extended, they will bolt in no time flat.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 10:29 PM by BearcatsUC.)
09-14-2021 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Do More B12 Teams Get Picked Off?
The P12 president debunked the rumor about Houston/TCU.

Nobody wants Kansas. They stink at FB and don’t have a Rutgers level media market to make up for that.

09-14-2021 09:26 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Anything is possible, but I doubt it. If you go through one by one, and ask how does this make the conference they are going to more money, it falls apart pretty quick.

09-14-2021 09:28 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
They tried as a conference to do an alliance and I'm sure every team put out feelers to other conferences...how'd that pan out? Thus, they decided to expand to survive. I believe they created a conference that there will be growing interest in from day one with the new arrivals. Football will be better than expected and hoops may in fact be one of the top 3 conferences top to bottom.

09-14-2021 10:04 PM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Bearcats
I don’t think realignment will ever be over.

09-15-2021 02:10 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(09-14-2021 09:28 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  Anything is possible, but I doubt it. If you go through one by one, and ask how does this make the conference they are going to more money, it falls apart pretty quick.

You nailed it. Money is the ONLY motivation for realignment. Nobody in the new Big12 makes any other conference enough money to justify poaching.

09-15-2021 04:54 AM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(09-14-2021 10:04 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  They tried as a conference to do an alliance and I'm sure every team put out feelers to other conferences...how'd that pan out? Thus, they decided to expand to survive. I believe they created a conference that there will be growing interest in from day one with the new arrivals. Football will be better than expected and hoops may in fact be one of the top 3 conferences top to bottom.

I'm really looking forward to it. Cincinnati deserves it. The town and the school.

09-15-2021 04:59 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

The B12 is the new AAC.

All of the old members screaming to get out...but nobody's listening.

I guess that would make us the ECU of the league. Just dang glad to be here.

09-15-2021 05:27 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(09-15-2021 05:27 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  The B12 is the new AAC.

I think it is more akin to Big East 2.0. All the teams wanted out, but the conference was still playing for something.

09-15-2021 05:42 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-14-2021 09:26 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The P12 president debunked the rumor about Houston/TCU.

Nobody wants Kansas. They stink at FB and don’t have a Rutgers level media market to make up for that.

Agreed. And I'll add that West Virginia's academic ranking kept them out of the ACC years ago and I can't imagine that's changed, despite the delusions of the Dude. So he's suggesting that conference's choice for expansion would be a school that would immediately have the lowest academic profile among all their flagship institutions? Why would they expand by one school to do that?

09-15-2021 06:42 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
The bus is driven by TV eyes and FB. What B12 team moves the TV needle for P12 enough to justify? What B12 team moves the TV needle for B10 enough to justify? What B12 team moves the TV needle for ACC enough to justify?

Let's examine:

ISU is second fiddle in small state.
KS is awful FB is small state,
KSU - see ISU
OKS - see ISU
BU, TCU, UH, TT all are third fiddle to TX, TAM
BYU would have been a good P12 add if the wanted to add with BSU as the balancing act.
If the ACC wanted to expand UC and UCF would have been the best options not WVU.

Realignment is not over but it is over for now.

09-15-2021 07:05 AM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(09-15-2021 06:42 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(09-14-2021 09:26 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The P12 president debunked the rumor about Houston/TCU.

Agreed. And I'll add that West Virginia's academic ranking kept them out of the ACC years ago and I can't imagine that's changed, despite the delusions of the Dude. So he's suggesting that conference's choice for expansion would be a school that would immediately have the lowest academic profile among all their flagship institutions? Why would they expand by one school to do that?

Sadly, UC's diminishing USN&WR ranking would probably keep us out of the ACC too. We're tied with Ole Miss now, and at the rate we're declining (down nineteen points since Ono left), we may be ranked below Louisville and WVU before long (try to imagine Louisville dropping a black ball on us because our academics don't measure up to ACC requirements).

UC needs to tighten its admission standards now. I take no pride in gargantuan enrollments comprised of kids who are destined to opt out or flunk out before graduating.

09-15-2021 08:44 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2021 08:44 AM)colohank Wrote:  

Sadly, UC's diminishing USN&WR ranking would probably keep us out of the ACC too. We're tied with Ole Miss now, and at the rate we're declining (down nineteen points since Ono left), we may be ranked below Louisville and WVU before long (try to imagine Louisville dropping a black ball on us because our academics don't measure up to ACC requirements).

UC needs to tighten its admission standards now. I take no pride in gargantuan enrollments comprised of kids who are destined to opt out or flunk out before graduating.

If you were to look at UC’s fact book, it has actually grown the under 20 ACT cataegory in recent years. Along with the over 30. I don’t know why this is, but found it interesting. I thought there was a 22 minimum, or did that change?

09-15-2021 08:51 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(09-15-2021 08:51 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

If you were to look at UC’s fact book, it has actually grown the under 20 ACT cataegory in recent years. Along with the over 30. I don’t know why this is, but found it interesting. I thought there was a 22 minimum, or did that change?

There's always hope. I expect the administration to take some of the Big12 money and use it to improve the academic side of UC based on where we fall short in the rankings.

09-15-2021 08:59 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(09-15-2021 05:42 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(09-15-2021 05:27 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  The B12 is the new AAC.

I think it is more akin to Big East 2.0. All the teams wanted out, but the conference was still playing for something.

Syracuse didn't want out in 2003.

Syracuse was the ACC's second choice in 2003 (after Miami). They chose to stay because Jim Boeheim came out very publicly in favor of staying in the Big East.

The original targets were Miami & Syracuse, and Boston College was their choice for #3 to get to 12 & have a championship game. UVA wanted VT instead of BC, but they were outvoted. UConn filed a lawsuit against the plan on behalf of the 6 remaining football schools (including Virginia Tech). When Syracuse pulled out, Virginia Tech was the replacement.

Sidenote: at the time, Boeheim was in his 35th year at Syracuse. Who would have guessed he'd still be coaching today?

09-15-2021 09:27 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I feel like the Big East was a better conference, but it was so Frankensteined together that it just wasn’t going to last. The new Big12 looks like a solid step up from the AAC, but let’s not kid ourselves. It’s a safe haven for now, but who knows for how long. Have to keep grinding.

09-15-2021 10:30 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

That press release every year that says we have a record enrollment doesn’t do anything for you? Lol

UC packing freshmen into the 400 acre campus like it was Allegiant Air on its once a week flight to Fort Meyers.

The business of education.

09-15-2021 10:46 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2021 10:30 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I feel like the Big East was a better conference, but it was so Frankensteined together that it just wasn’t going to last. The new Big12 looks like a solid step up from the AAC, but let’s not kid ourselves. It’s a safe haven for now, but who knows for how long. Have to keep grinding.

The long history of collegiate conferences suggests more change than stasis, so I agree UC must remain tuned in to future environmental change and opportunity.

Regarding the old Big East, someone I considered an insider told me years ago that near the end of the BCS 6 era, the Big East was regarded more as an alliance than a conference. Retrospectively, that comment makes a lot of sense. There were clearly two voting blocks with completely different interests: the football schools (all public save one) and the private (basketball only) schools. Compare that with the homogeneity of the Big Ten--almost all large, selective public research universities with common objectives. Plenty of conferences have come and gone while generations of Big Ten alumni have known the same sports rivals and academic relationships. That's been a great place to be for those schools. To spoof an old advertising line from an investment company, "some of those schools got their reputation the old fashioned way--they inherited it." We can all name a few which have definitely done less with more, while UC strived, and succeeded, doing more with less.

09-15-2021 10:49 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2021 10:30 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I feel like the Big East was a better conference, but it was so Frankensteined together that it just wasn’t going to last. The new Big12 looks like a solid step up from the AAC, but let’s not kid ourselves. It’s a safe haven for now, but who knows for how long. Have to keep grinding.

The new B12 is more Frankensteined than the BE, geographically at least.

09-15-2021 11:10 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(09-15-2021 11:10 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

The new B12 is more Frankensteined than the BE, geographically at least.

I mean… yeah. But referring to the small catholic bball schools from the NE, together with the football schools- that had no clearly defined geographic footprint either, and just the shear size of it- was it 16 schools?
Was always a domino away from collapsing. Was fun while it lasted.

09-15-2021 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.