Open TigerLinks

President Rudd Raises OCS Possibility
Bookmark and Share
CRM114 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/sec...ll-stadium

He basically says it's something that could happen with state support, if the state would recognize Memphis as the flagship university of West TN. Would not go into specifics about where, pointing out that Navy has an "OCS" that's as far from its main campus as LBMS.
09-13-2021 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aardWolf Offline
Heisman

There you go… A loophole. Start giving classes at the LBMS. Voila! OCS!
09-13-2021 09:17 PM
CRM114 Offline
2nd String

RE: President Rudd Raises OCS Possibility
For those without subscription, here's what he said re: OCS...

"We’ve already announced the $40 to $50 million effort targeted at the Liberty Bowl. I think that the state of Tennessee broadly needs to embrace the reality that there are two flagship universities in this state. That’s UT-Knoxville in the east, and the University of Memphis in the west. That’s consistent with the original charter of (the) Tennessee Higher Education Commission. Its original vision for Memphis was to be a flagship. If that’s the case, the state needs to step up and invest as such. That includes in every respect. If the state would invest, you’d see a greater opportunity to build an on-campus facility to support Memphis football. That message needs to be loud and clear. UAB built a new facility in concert with the state of Alabama. It is a wonderful facility.

"You have to be careful how you define on-campus. Navy has an on-campus stadium, and it’s the same distance from their campus as the Liberty Bowl is from ours. What’s clear is that upgrades in current facilities or a new facility would be good to make. Where precisely we place it depends on variety and acreage available to do that. With careful, thoughtful work, we could take a look at that, especially if the state would recognize our flagship.

"I’m always beating the drum on resource investment in the University of Memphis. In any respect. I’m going to continue to do that. I haven’t raised the issue of a stadium at this point, but I anticipate that I’m going to raise that issue from this point forward."
09-13-2021 09:19 PM
sherekhan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(09-13-2021 09:19 PM)CRM114 Wrote:  For those without subscription, here's what he said re: OCS...

"We’ve already announced the $40 to $50 million effort targeted at the Liberty Bowl. I think that the state of Tennessee broadly needs to embrace the reality that there are two flagship universities in this state. That’s UT-Knoxville in the east, and the University of Memphis in the west. That’s consistent with the original charter of (the) Tennessee Higher Education Commission. Its original vision for Memphis was to be a flagship. If that’s the case, the state needs to step up and invest as such. That includes in every respect. If the state would invest, you’d see a greater opportunity to build an on-campus facility to support Memphis football. That message needs to be loud and clear. UAB built a new facility in concert with the state of Alabama. It is a wonderful facility.

"You have to be careful how you define on-campus. Navy has an on-campus stadium, and it’s the same distance from their campus as the Liberty Bowl is from ours. What’s clear is that upgrades in current facilities or a new facility would be good to make. Where precisely we place it depends on variety and acreage available to do that. With careful, thoughtful work, we could take a look at that, especially if the state would recognize our flagship.

"I’m always beating the drum on resource investment in the University of Memphis. In any respect. I’m going to continue to do that. I haven’t raised the issue of a stadium at this point, but I anticipate that I’m going to raise that issue from this point forward."
Purchase Audubon Park from the city for the OCS. You have 375 acres that would be perfect for a stadium.
09-13-2021 09:47 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
40 or 50 million more to the Liberty Bowl?

UAB built stadium in concert with State of Alabama?

https://www.aldailynews.com/uab-to-pay-2...n-stadium/

On campus means on campus, I shall not be careful. If he means something like UAB downtown near the law school, why bother

Was anything he said verified by the author?

He's retiring anyway.

03-no
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 09:57 PM by shere khan.)
09-13-2021 09:53 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
I’m glad to finally hear this becoming part of the vision. Vision is where true growth comes from. In personal lives. In business. In education. In sports. When I took over as head coach for this small private school basketball team, they had no gym, rented church gyms, often struggled to put a team on the court for lack of interest. Went 0-20. Now, with a tiny bit of vision for building ALL of our sports programs, the school has more than doubled in attendance in 4 years, made it to the state semis in basketball and football, has a state champion track star and 6 girls volleyball teams. The board came to me yesterday and said they are officially looking for land to build our very first gym, which will be the first building built for our new varsity campus.

Vision. And with school, as much as academia doesn’t want to accept it, growth starts with building strong sports programs and then watching it trickle down.
Growing your sports program means higher enrollment. Higher enrollment means more money. More money means a more diverse course selection. It means more computers. it means better teachers. it means better performance from students in the class.

Getter dun Rudd!!!!
09-13-2021 09:56 PM
Advertisement

memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I love that they are at least talking about it. Some things are really out of your control, we’re not going to able to quickly grow the student population by any degree without abandoning any entrance standards. Or huge jumps in academic performance in a short period. Or student demographics (this you don’t change).

But raising money for an OCS, you can certainly try.
09-13-2021 10:02 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-13-2021 09:56 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I’m glad to finally hear this becoming part of the vision. Vision is where true growth comes from. In personal lives. In business. In education. In sports. When I took over as head coach for this small private school basketball team, they had no gym, rented church gyms, often struggled to put a team on the court for lack of interest. Went 0-20. Now, with a tiny bit of vision for building ALL of our sports programs, the school has more than doubled in attendance in 4 years, made it to the state semis in basketball and football, has a state champion track star and 6 girls volleyball teams. The board came to me yesterday and said they are officially looking for land to build our very first gym, which will be the first building built for our new varsity campus.

Vision. And with school, as much as academia doesn’t want to accept it, growth starts with building strong sports programs and then watching it trickle down.
Growing your sports program means higher enrollment. Higher enrollment means more money. More money means a more diverse course selection. It means more computers. it means better teachers. it means better performance from students in the class.

Getter dun Rudd!!!!

100%. On the surface, it sounds like financial malfeasance. But you are exactly right. Sports can really be a catalyst for so many positive things.
09-13-2021 10:04 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

Not sure if relying on the state for proper acknowledgement is a good thing. But maybe this is the start some of us were looking for. Or he's setting himself up with a future out by being able to say "Well we wanted to pursue an OCS, but the state never gave us what we needed to go forward."

EDIT: Fixed the bad typing.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 01:48 PM by Alanda.)
09-13-2021 10:30 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-13-2021 10:30 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Not sure if relying on the state is a good thing for proper acknowledgement is a good thing. But maybe this is the start some of us were looking for. Or he's setting himself up with a future out by able say "Well we wanted to pursue an OCS, but the state never gave us what we needed to go forward."

Well, we got the conversation started. Let’s see if we can raise the funds.

The timing of this is no coincidence. Just like USF. Improve facilities or get left out.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 10:36 PM by memtiger1987.)
09-13-2021 10:35 PM
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica
(09-13-2021 10:35 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 10:30 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Not sure if relying on the state is a good thing for proper acknowledgement is a good thing. But maybe this is the start some of us were looking for. Or he's setting himself up with a future out by able say "Well we wanted to pursue an OCS, but the state never gave us what we needed to go forward."

Well, we got the conversation started. Let’s see if we can raise the funds.

The timing of this is no coincidence. Just like USF. Improve facilities or get left out.

The state of Tennessee is so far behind in its support of its now second largest institute. Gaining our on BOR might be the single greatest thing that has happened to the city of Memphis in my lifetime.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 11:18 PM by Seabee TIger Fan.)
09-13-2021 11:17 PM
Advertisement

GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

I want what's best. I do enjoy attending games at the Liberty Bowl. Unfortunately, it's a stadium that had run its course and it's time to move on. It's unfortunate, that we're not able to host concerts inside the stadium due to lack of tunnel size in the north end zone. However, the conversation has to start somewhere, and I do give credit to President Rudd for starting the conversation.
I do see Memphis getting a new stadium by the year of 2030. How cool would it be if we get to host Boise State as the opening game for our new stadium? I do believe Houston has an amazing stadium that Memphis should be able to copy of off (not exactly). But if we can get a 50,000 seat stadium and find a way to leave the door open to upgrade the stadium and add more seats if possible.
President Rudd has been delivering the message to have a crane on the university, or build something constantly. There's always something needing to be replaced.
09-13-2021 11:35 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

I really like being able to buy a beer or a cocktail during the games. If they can make that possible i am all for an OCS. If not spend the money at the Liberty Bowl.

I noticed how much better the ArkSt stadium looked after some new investment. The Liberty Bowl has nice bones and it is a landmark building in the city. It can and should be improved, primarily for the Tigers, but also for the SHC and the Liberty Bowl exhibition game. With enough improvement the Liberty Bowl could be included in the 11 game 12 team National Championship Tournament. That in and of itself is worth more than a $50M investment.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 11:50 PM by Keeper.)
09-13-2021 11:43 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2021 09:53 PM)shere khan Wrote:  40 or 50 million more to the Liberty Bowl?

On campus means on campus, I shall not be careful. If he means something like UAB downtown near the law school, why bother

He's retiring anyway.

03-no

Actually he isn’t retiring. He is stepping down from his role as president and taking a year sabbatical. He will return to the university in another capacity, likely as a regents research professor.

And UAB will lease the new stadium not own it. So it’s new not their own OCS.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 01:31 AM by Tigerx3.)
09-14-2021 01:25 AM
Oceana Tiger Offline
All American

The Liberty Bowl has got to be a top 10 stadium in college football. It doesn't get the props it deserves. Does Oregon's stadium suck? Its the same thing! It's not like it's far from campus. South Carolina isn't on campus either
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 01:55 AM by Oceana Tiger.)
09-14-2021 01:54 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
02-13-banana And that would probably end up being a true statement.
09-14-2021 05:39 AM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(09-14-2021 01:25 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 09:53 PM)shere khan Wrote:  40 or 50 million more to the Liberty Bowl?

He's retiring anyway.

03-no

Actually he isn’t retiring. He is stepping down from his role as president and taking a year sabbatical. He will return to the university in another capacity, likely as a regents research professor.

And UAB will lease the new stadium not own it. So it’s new not their own OCS.

Yeah I know. That's in the link I posted. He is full of shite. The bjcc and city taxes. Not the State. The city built a new stadium, not uab.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 06:40 AM by shere khan.)
09-14-2021 06:37 AM
Virginia Tiger Offline
2nd String

I am liking this from Rudd. I've got my checkbook ready for when they make the fundraising announcement.02-13-banana
09-14-2021 07:07 AM
MtownTigers916 Online
Tiger PhD

I’ve always been a big proponent of an OCS. But South Campus or Audubon Park ain’t it.
09-14-2021 07:09 AM
MemTGRS Online
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(09-14-2021 07:09 AM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I’ve always been a big proponent of an OCS. But South Campus or Audubon Park ain’t it.

Absolutely --- Queue the "there's no room!" excuse makers --- But please build either in the Highland/Poplar/Southern triangle. If not a short walk from the dooms there, just stay at the fairgrounds.
09-14-2021 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.