Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is a UConn/Big 12 marriage a possibility if they expand to 14?
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Personally, I prefer UConn’s current setup. We play in a Northeastern power basketball conference where we can be a big fish and dominate in recruiting. I also like being an independent because we can schedule at least 4 regional P5 games a year (I believe starting around 2026 it will be closer to 6 P5 games a year) as well as Army yearly.

With the exception of WVU and Kansas, nobody really interests me in basketball in the Big 12, and WVU and maybe BYU are the only teams that interest me in football.

I personally do not believe that the Big 12 will be perceived by the media as on the same playing field as the other major football conferences. However, I do think it will be perceived as a major league in basketball.

With that said, UConn was not interested in the Big 12 this time around (likely due to 90%+ of the fan base being content).

However, should UConn be interested 2-3 years down the road given that they were interested 5 years ago and were probably 4th favorites back then? Also, would the Big 12 be interested?

Does it make more sense for UConn to wait for inevitable SEC and B1G raids of the ACC in a decade by keeping their current setup or joining the Big 12 if offered?
09-10-2021 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Zero interest. You guys made your own bed. You'll never be considered a major football school again.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
09-10-2021 09:00 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Is a UConn/Big 12 marriage a possibility if they expand to 14?
I think the Big East is your new limit. I don't think anyone is taking on UConn football unless things drastically change.
09-10-2021 09:05 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
IF (a major "if") UConn does extremely well as a football indy and when there is another round of realignment that impacts the ACC ... yes, UConn could be part of a league that includes programs located in states on the Eastern Seaboard.

As to the Big 12 being interested in UConn now ... I don't see it. Had UConn 1. stayed in the AAC and 2. been relevant in football, say, the past five years or more, yes, the Big 12 likely would at least consider UConn a candidate.

With the Big East, UConn has an excellent home for men's and women's hoops. Big East baseball is mediocre and, as such, not ideal for the strong Husky baseball program. But it will suffice. As to being an independent in football — time will tell.
09-10-2021 09:13 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Doubt it. UConn brings next to nothing for the Big XII other than a basketball program and good academics... other than that they are terrible football fit due to being a low ceiling program in a state that is far away from the central base of the conference with next to nothing in terms of football recruiting grounds, and outside of both the NYC & Boston DMAs (which prevents them from getting any penetration into those two markets if a B12 Network ever starts). Probably the weakest candidate amongst the actually previously vetted AAC members that the B12 considered a few years ago (Cincy, Houston, UCF, USF, UConn, Temple, SMU, Memphis, Tulane, East Carolina) in terms of the fit for the conference given geography both in terms of distance and DMA and as a football program. They'd be a good fit for the ACC perhaps, but other than that aren't really a realistic P5 candidate overall given the goals of each conference.

if the AAC begins to fall apart after the B12 poaches Memphis away and maybe USF/SMU/Tulane too, Temple should approach UConn, Army, Buffalo, UMass, & Stony Brook to work out a deal with them to reform either a Northeastern division of the AAC or MAC or even reestablish Big East Football, or perhaps as a brand new G6 football conference.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 12:06 AM by AntiG.)
09-11-2021 12:00 AM
RobUCF Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
It’s a Texas based conference where football is king. UConn just lost to Holy Cross. We can just stop the conversation right there…
09-11-2021 12:08 AM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
No more plains states conferences. I'm never flying out to KC end of Feb/start of March.
09-11-2021 12:26 AM
forphase1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Short, simple answer. No.
09-11-2021 12:39 AM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
(09-10-2021 08:56 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  With that said, UConn was not interested in the Big 12 this time around (likely due to 90%+ of the fan base being content).
With that said, the non-interest was 100% mutual.

Quote:However, should UConn be interested 2-3 years down the road given that they were interested 5 years ago and were probably 4th favorites back then? Also, would the Big 12 be interested?

Does it make more sense for UConn to wait for inevitable SEC and B1G raids of the ACC in a decade by keeping their current setup or joining the Big 12 if offered?
Is this a joke? Wtf?

UConn football is a leper. No FBS conference will want to include UConn football, ever again. Bottom-rung leagues like C-USA or MAC might give UConn some sort of scheduling arrangement in football, in exchange for UConn offering a similar deal in hoops. And that’s it.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 02:11 AM by Cardiff.)
09-11-2021 02:05 AM
BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big East
(09-10-2021 08:56 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Personally, I prefer UConn’s current setup. We play in a Northeastern power basketball conference where we can be a big fish and dominate in recruiting. I also like being an independent because we can schedule at least 4 regional P5 games a year (I believe starting around 2026 it will be closer to 6 P5 games a year) as well as Army yearly.

With the exception of WVU and Kansas, nobody really interests me in basketball in the Big 12, and WVU and maybe BYU are the only teams that interest me in football.

I personally do not believe that the Big 12 will be perceived by the media as on the same playing field as the other major football conferences. However, I do think it will be perceived as a major league in basketball.

With that said, UConn was not interested in the Big 12 this time around (likely due to 90%+ of the fan base being content).

However, should UConn be interested 2-3 years down the road given that they were interested 5 years ago and were probably 4th favorites back then? Also, would the Big 12 be interested?

Getting ahead of ourselves are we? This isn't the 2000's and Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door.
09-11-2021 03:37 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Would UConn pay the $50 million buyout from the Big East and move all their sports to the B12? Of course they wouldn't. Even though the B12 will still be a P5 conference, that distinction won't mean that much anymore with a 8 or 12 team playoff. UConn committed their football program to FCS demotion or straight out disbandment with their move to the Big East. It's all about the NE basketball.

Would the B12 take UConn Football only? No don't be absurd. Would they take UConn with all their sports if they expand to 14 after losing Texas and Oklahoma? It's closer but I believe Boise State and Memphis would be their 2 most likely targets for #13 and 14 but even then Temple, USF, SMU, San Diego State, and possibly Colorado State, Tulane maybe Fresno, Army, Navy, Air Force would all be chosen before UConn.

So really, no possibility.
09-11-2021 04:10 AM
Advertisement

Rob3338 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uc
(09-10-2021 08:56 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Personally, I prefer UConn’s current setup. We play in a Northeastern power basketball conference where we can be a big fish and dominate in recruiting. I also like being an independent because we can schedule at least 4 regional P5 games a year (I believe starting around 2026 it will be closer to 6 P5 games a year) as well as Army yearly.

Don't worry there will be no offer from the Big 12 or the ACC. UConn has been religated and that is permanent. Nice try however.
09-11-2021 05:23 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
UConn left the AAC at the opportune time. Had they not left in 2019, they remain in the American - and recently witness the top part of the league depart. They inevitably circle back to return to the Big East eitherway, but they did so from an active, not reactive, position. After the heartache of 2012 with Louisville getting the final nod, and with the Big 12 electing not to expand in 2016, things could have gone very different for UConn.

They are in the conference they should be. Football remains a lame duck, but UConn was never a football-first athletic program. Being in the Big East is better for its student-athletes, students, coaches, alumni and fans.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 07:03 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
09-11-2021 07:03 AM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Your AD would crawl across broken glass for a Big 12 invitation. UConn acknowledged reality and gave up on chasing power conference football. The only conference “offering” UConn will be the CAA not that I expect the Huskies to accept.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 07:30 AM by LostInSpace.)
09-11-2021 07:28 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

You're not interested in the defending National Champs in Mens BB and one of your key Women's BB rivals over the last 2 decades (Baylor)?
09-11-2021 07:32 AM
mvcfan76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MVC
(09-10-2021 09:13 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  IF (a major "if") UConn does extremely well as a football indy and when there is another round of realignment that impacts the ACC ... yes, UConn could be part of a league that includes programs located in states on the Eastern Seaboard.

As to the Big 12 being interested in UConn now ... I don't see it. Had UConn 1. stayed in the AAC and 2. been relevant in football, say, the past five years or more, yes, the Big 12 likely would at least consider UConn a candidate.

With the Big East, UConn has an excellent home for men's and women's hoops. Big East baseball is mediocre and, as such, not ideal for the strong Husky baseball program. But it will suffice. As to being an independent in football — time will tell.

I could make a post or just repost this. This is 100% the case for UConn. Also i dont think UConn minds BE baseball. It is a major downgrade from AAC baseball but the Huskies will get the autobid every. single. year.
09-11-2021 07:45 AM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
The arrogance is astounding. UCONN has zero value. Big 12 isn't taking basketball only teams cause Uconn has no football team.
09-11-2021 07:48 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
UConn would be better off scrapping their football program all together, and selling off their stadium which is a 100miles from campus. In the end it’s coasting them more to run the program than what they are bringing in. It was a good run while it lasted, but the Big East is no more, and the ACC isn’t going to invite you let alone another P5 conference. Yes you are going to lose money now, but think of it as a bad investment where you’ve learned the hard way it’s not always greener on the other side BS and accept it. Look to sale all you football related equipment for schools will most likely buy most of it, and the stadium look and see if it can be parted out for schools with tight budgets could be interested. At least this way you are getting something back for playing football isn’t in your guys future.
09-11-2021 08:09 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(09-11-2021 08:09 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  UConn would be better off scrapping their football program all together, and selling off their stadium which is a 100miles from campus. In the end it’s coasting them more to run the program than what they are bringing in. It was a good run while it lasted, but the Big East is no more, and the ACC isn’t going to invite you let alone another P5 conference. Yes you are going to lose money now, but think of it as a bad investment where you’ve learned the hard way it’s not always greener on the other side BS and accept it. Look to sale all you football related equipment for schools will most likely buy most of it, and the stadium look and see if it can be parted out for schools with tight budgets could be interested. At least this way you are getting something back for playing football isn’t in your guys future.
This. They need to scrap football and focus on being a basketball power.
09-11-2021 08:29 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
The BE was concerned about UConn chasing football. I thought there was something in the BE contract that would make it very painful, i.e. expensive, for UConn to leave for football reasons??
09-11-2021 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.